The Who’s Roger Daltrey: Rock Is Dead, Rap Is All That Matters

>Speaking with The Times during the inaugural Desert Trip festival, he said: “The sadness for me is that rock has reached a dead end... the only people saying things that matter are the rappers and most pop is meaningless and forgettable.”

pitchfork.com/news/69362-the-whos-roger-daltrey-rock-is-dead-rap-is-all-that-matters/

Other urls found in this thread:

bbc.co.uk/radio1/chart/singles
billboard.com/charts/hot-100
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Has there been any really innovative rock music in the last 15 years though?

aw shucks I thought it said Roger Daltrey is dead.
Maybe next time

Not really rap, but everything else that isn't rock or american folk or something like that lmao

Halcyon Digest

Not in the slightest.

>Innovation

Rock wasn't really known for it's innovation. Sure sometimes it was with prog or Beatles era but part of its appeal was its simplicity. These days if rock got innovative it probably wouldn't be regarded as rock.

Great but not innovative. JaMC and Spector brill building singles are a lot more genuine and powerful.
No one would miss you if you domed yourself right now.

>implying meme rap is innovative

>implying there was a true milestone for rock in this decade or the previous
and i hate (b)rap

Yes, but only in metal

There are still people making good contemporary American folk music, often more inaccessible and not adhering to conventional pop song structures though. Sure it's not simple campfire singalongs or protest songs that are hugely important parts of cultural anymore but that's okay. In fact the best folk music of the modern era doesn't even rely on lyrics, least not socially/politically/culturally topical ones, much at all if you can believe that.

This news is a year old, nerd

Where's your rap album then Roger la?

no it isn't

I got scared, for a second I thought this said Roger Daltry is dead.

>saying things that matter
>any musician
fucking kek

The Who By Numbers [MCA, 1975]

This album is a lot worse than my dispassionate grade would indicate, because don't we all expect better? From The Who no less? Pete Townshend has more to say about star doubt than David Crosby and John Lennon, but here the apercus, namely "Dreaming From The Waist" and "Wherever I May Booze" merely circles the drain. I don't expect the seeker to have the answers, but I do at least expect him to enjoy the question. B

Who Are You [MCA, 1978]

Every time I concentrate and listen closely, I can make out some new detail in Roger's singing or Pete's guitar or John Entwistle's bass guitar. Not in Keith Moon's drumming though and I still don't relate to the synthesizer. But I never learn anything new and this is not my idea of fun rock and roll. It should be one or the other, if not both. B

>The Who’s Roger Daltrey

literally who

Face Dances [Warner Bros., 1981]

Keith Moon's death seems to have relieved Pete Townshend of his obsession with mortality and the band he created. His new sex songs are stylish and passionate, the strongest he's written in a decade. Too bad they sound forced coming from the aging pretty boy who mouths them. All of which is proof that mortality catches up to pretty boys faster than the rest of us. B

It's Hard [Warner Bros., 1982]

For years, Pete Townshend's operatic pretensions were so transparent that I wagered his musical ideas would never catch up to his lyrical ones. And I was right--both became more prolix at the same rate. This isn't quite as revolting as "All The Blind Chinamen Have Western Eyes", but between the synths, winding song structures, and book club poetry, it's the nearest thing to classic awful English art rock since Genesis discovered funk. Best song--"Eminence Front" in which Pete Townshend discovers funk. Just in time. C-

not sure if joking or just ignorant

>Roger Daltrey
>Just the usual English cuck

Endless Wire [Polydor, 2006]

This album is unlistenable for a simple reason--Roger Daltrey. Now 62, he is incapable in body as well as mind of negotiating through The Who's first album of all-new studio material since 1982's dreadful "It's Hard". Gesturing futilely towards high notes as he tries to remember his acting lessons, he squeaks, squawks, clicks, creaks, groans, and bollockses his way through lessons he's sure are profound. Seven songs in, the leader spells him and the sharp uptick in modesty comes as a relief. But it's the leader who calls the shots around here, and it's the leader who decided that prog rock was a peachy keen idea as he proceeds to designate a ten-song "cycle". Thus, the album is also unlistenable for a complicated reason--Pete Townshend. C-

I'm serious.
Prove me wrong by all means.

Even Daltrey admitted It's Hard was just a wrapper for a hit single.

Innovation is a joke

What I don't get since he is a Brit and also being British, hip hop really isn't big here, and no grime isn't hip hop.

Wtf is he on about.

>and no grime isn't hip hop.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

He thinks lyrics about Black Lives Matter is innovative

Just compare UK vs US, there is might be, not here

bbc.co.uk/radio1/chart/singles

billboard.com/charts/hot-100

Hip hop didn't invent MC'ing / rapping you idiot, it has its roots in Jamaican music which the UK has a huge immigration from 20/30 years ago

2/10 made me respond

The last actual innovation in rock music that I can remember is Shoegaze. Unfortunately, while Shoegaze did yield Loveless very early on in its inception-- it was completely overshadowed by Grunge (which began around pretty much the exact same time) so it never had the chance to take off.

in the UK it was more Britpop overshadowing it but whatever

big beat > shoegays = shitpop

Ah, I had forgotten about Britpop; that is also a main contributing factor.
Basically more garden variety radio music killed it off is probably a more apt way to put it.

>has there been any innovation in rock
>yes, but only in metal

nah.

>Implying memerap will be remembered

Yeah, yeah, everything is a meme.

Name one innovation in non-metal rock that has happened in 15 years that wasn't grafting a different genre onto rock music

that wasn't my point. he asked for something innovative in rock and got told, "yes, but only in metal". i was using my pic related for the guy who replied with the metal album, not the first post.

That metal album sucked, yeah, but metal is innovative still even though you clearly don't listen to it

>Hip hop didn't invent MC'ing / rapping you idiot, it has its roots in Jamaican music which the UK has a huge immigration from 20/30 years ago
Grime is literally brits doing trap rap rip offs are you retarded?

Battles- Mirrored inarguably
Sun Kil Moon- Common As Light arguably

Glad he's this self aware. Not sure why I didn't give him the benefit of the doubt.

There continues to be great rock music, but it's simply not as vital as it was in its hay day. That's ok though, rock doesn't need to be the champion to still be pursued.

>saying this ironically

>this old b8

*yawn*

memes aside, this album is based af

Liturgy - The Ark Work
Swans - To Be Kind
Fleet Foxes - Crack Up
Sun Kil Moon - Common As Light (this is probably the one that will really go down as being a milestone)

king gizzard and the wizard lizard are good and I feel they are innovating a little (two drummers, use of woodwind etc.), Wolf Alice are reviving the riot girl scene but their not actually making any advancements on it.

You are disgusting and none of those albums were innovative

Last one I remember was 17 years ago

This but unironically.

But Pete Townsend already declared that Rock is dead in the song Long Live Rock back in the early 1970s.