letterboxd.com/nokokami/
letterboxd.com/ciaociao/
twitter.com/mccrabb_will/status/767763271050854400
letterboxd.com/CoryBurning/
youtube.com/watch?v=OGbhJjXl9Rk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

letterboxd.com/steakbro/

do you consider Hong Kong films to be Chinese

Thinking more Mainland China/Fifth Generation.

My favorite Chinese movie is To Live, a historical drama set during the cultural revolution. It was banned in China due to its criticism toward the communist government. I don't know how many movies are banned in China, but I assume the banned ones are ones more worth watching, as they probably have more value and criticize China in some way rather than being propaganda pieces or an Asylum-tier knock off. There's also The Blue Kite and Raise the Red Lantern, both of which I want to see sometime down the line.

Did you know that Back to the Future is banned in China for depicting time travel? Did you also know that China is the worst country on Earth? But seriously, I think part of the reason I've barely seen Chinese movies is because I hate the country so much.

haven't really seen enough to recommend anything, then.

what do u even do when someone links their profile

letterboxd.com/patala/

do u even roast people or something? I don't bother writing reviews

I've seen a few Zhang Yimou films and like his cinematography on Chen Kaige's first two movies. Those are two of the big names, along with TIan Zhuangzhuang and I'm wondering if anything else is worthwhile.

Farewell, My Concubine had a lot of criticism of the Cultural Revolution and was initially banned in China before it was acclaimed internationally (only Chinese film to win the Palme d'or at Cannes) and subsequently allowed to be shown..

>Did you also know that China is the worst country on Earth?

What do you mean by this?

pretty sure they also auto-ban anything featuring ghosts or the afterlife. China is a weird place.

i'm willing to guess that most people probably haven't seen very many Chinese films. thought i've been interested for a while in checking out more Jia Zhangke.

Is Hero chinese or from some other chinky place? Because that movie's fun.

HERO is actually a Zhang Yimou film. so yes, it's Chinese. not half bad, either, though a bit overblown.

>Mainland China
Spring In a small town, The goddess, In the heat of the sun

>Spring In a small town

I should probably watch this.

What about Tie Xi Qu: West of the Tracks? A nine-hour documentary about industrial pollution in China interests me.

>What do you mean by this?

China is a communist shithole where its soulless inhabitants have no understanding of art or how to handle criticism.

None. They're all shit with no exception.

excellent contribution to the discussion

You're welcome. Now go and watch superior japanese cinema.

This.
Most valuable opinion.

funny you mention it, since i've been watching a decent amount of Kurosawa recently. who are some other directors you would recommend? i'm not too aware of Japanese cinema outside of most of the mainstream canon like Kobayashi, Kore-Eda, Ozu, Mizoguchi, Oshima, etc.

letterboxd.com/bvgf/

>birdman among favorites
D R O P P E D

Dunno, I've mostly watched the same kind of mainstream cannon, although the more artsy stuff like Ozu I can't bear to watch, beats me how that guy gets a free pass*.
I'm a sucker for Takashi Miike, he's got some good stuff, also Sion Sono is quite underrated, I saw Pikadon last year at my local film fest and it literally made me laugh and cry at times. Fucking japs know their shit.

*Also I'm butthurt af because I went to film school and teachers would give us shit for bad framing and too geometrical shot but if Ozu does it it's art. I know it's not Ozu's fault, but it rustles my jimmies. Same goes for neorealism, if some italian fag uses amateur actors it's art, if I do it I'm lazy. Fuck that.

>cannon

>typo nazi

>tumblrfag
>expects to be taken seriously

>I'm a sucker for Takashi Miike

aka

"I have shit taste."

ah, i see. you can see a lot of the geometrical shot composition and artificially precise blocking prevalent in Ozu's work in Kurosawa's as well. it's something i actually find very endearing about that era of Japanese filmmaking.

Did I say at any point that I have good taste?

But Kurosawa does it in a more subtle and toned down way. Maybe significant shots are framed like that, but not most of them. If all shots are like that it loses its value and becomes just annoying. Just my opinion, I get that many would disagree.

Kurosawa's framings make me diamonds. I cry myself to sleep each night knowing I will never be able to frame shots like he did.
The framings in the first half of High and Low (the part that happens at the rich guys home) are just amazingly done with a 2-camera setup.

How is Jagten (2012)?

only saw it once around when it came out, but i loved it then. recall Mikkelsen's performance being very good. due for a rewatch, i suppose.

Ozu's direction took a lot of influence from Japanese theater, i believe, particularly kabuki, and Kurosawa took a lot of influence from Ozu, and the effect was somewhat diluted as it went down the line. like i said, the exaggerated and obviously artificial nature of the films is part of what draws me to them.

Anyone got subs for the new To?

letterboxd.com/Synt/

Been watching a whole load of random crap with no pattern or anything recently. Any decent recs?

Bone Tomahawk was probably the most overrated film of 2015. People claim it's an underrated gem, but if anything it's just a well deserved failure.

>I do not care for Ozu's films

I like 13 Assassins by Miike more than Kurosawa's Seven Samurai.

okay, but how do you feel about Miike's remake of HARAKIRI?

Yeah wasn't a big fan at all. Aside from some slightly interesting characters and dialogue, the film was flat as hell. I see a lot of dudes online fawn over the direction and cinematography but I thought it was dull, uninspired and sort of sapped of any energy? Like everything was by the book. And that opening scene with sid haig and arquette was SyFy bad.

>the only japanese directors I know are Ozu, Kurosawa, and Miike

I don't watch films from cuckolded nation. Might be cuckold by association you know.

wev laddies caught meself a live sjw nu-male here and I wasn't even fishing.

letterboxd.com/SheepSteep/

hey boys

based Sheepo

you got a problem with alt rightists pal? that image fails to produce anything particularly cringeworthy. every blurb on that image is perfectly reasonable. nothing does not make sense on that image. the left is so much more ripe for roasting. there is nothing wrong with being an altrightist. the shitheads that are paid to make those memes have nothing to work with and it shows. makes me laugh. just a lil bit. like a momentary chuckle. then i forget about it. cause it's not memorable. not particularly effective. not the hell much of anything. try harder.

You're a fucking retard

based sheepo's return with Make /lbg/ Great Again

hey girls

youtube.com/watch?v=EjooI8DdlyE

letterboxd.com/AnvilVapre/
The Mission was great, Which Johnnie To film should I watch next

this one

Have you seen any others?

If you want more action I'd recommend Drug War, Election (both) and A Hero Never Dies

For comedy/romance I'd recommend Don't Go Breaking My Heart (both), Romancing Into Thin Air and Office.

But you pretty much can't go wrong with To. Blind Detective is also a good one because it seamlessly mixes both sides of him.

I have Mad Detective next on the list, thanks for the recs, have them all noted down

is True Max any good?

they dont ban them, the filmmakers are just careful to not even include them, in fear of a rejection

little big soldier is good for dipping your toes, the founding of a party is kino

I love retarded smile pepe

>Somebody follows you
>Don't follow back
>They unfollow

louis ck

''I'm paying to see that and bringing all my friends!''

Lol, what if Matt Damon was a cheese! He'd be all like 'Hey, I'm Matt Damon.', but he'd still be a cheese. Can you imagine

Which one ??

'Lena Legham

machill54

I already saw Hardcore Henry. AMA

mega.nz/#!JEtTjQZQ!wqUcb3QGDorIGE3gz7GAjL-IvDPdjtrtyAaGwio532U

letterboxd.com/nokokami/
Going to watch Brighter Summer Day and 8 1/2 today.
>Just now have watched Once Upon a Time in the West
You were missing out in a long time m8.
Followed
Ayyy Alberto!

I think The Emperor and the Assassin is greater than Farewell, My Concubine, but having seen the latter in HD and the former in SD causes me to overrate the latter and underrate the former. Anyone else do this?

I do this a whole lot, but then again. This is going to help boost a ton of Andrei Tarkovsky films soon, because of the Blu Ray transfers from Artificial Eye.

That shit is going to make me love Andrei Rublev, Mirror, and Stalker far more than I do now.

Also I'll add that movie in the list.

Also it depends as well. SD quality films can be carried by writing, acting, and cinematography, but falters with special effects and lighting. Also having extra detail is nicer overall.

I liked Farewell My Concubine a whole lot, because it did Blue Kite's story in a more wider scale and ambition.

I want to watch more mainland China and Taiwan films. They fill me with bewilderment.

we haven't forgotten about your autistic episode you shitkicker

Stop it lad. I was drunk that time.

we haven't forgotten about your autistic episode you shitkicker

Come on I was drunk that time lad!

we haven't forgotten about your autistic episode you shitkicker.

I have.

Come on lad I was drunk! You can take a joke right!?

>I want to watch more mainland China and Taiwan films. They fill me with bewilderment.

I've liked most of the Chen Kaige films I've seen, but unfortunately in the realm of home video, the early ones only exist in mostly poor quality DVDs. A Criterion release of Yellow Earth (1984) would be most welcome and add some representation for Mainland Chinese films to their catalog.

Who was the user who posted about Come and See last thread does anybody know?

Sid haig has never been in a bad film, every film he is in is elevated to at least 'good' just by virtue of his presence

agreed

Did you like it

CiaoCiao letterboxd.com/ciaociao/

CiaoCiao

machill54 does not interest me.

CiaoCiao

that doesn't even make any sense!

that doesn't even make any sense!

>Get access to someone elses abandoned hosue
>Check out their DVD's
>They had shit taste

>letterboxd

but i... am NOT fedora!!!

twitter.com/mccrabb_will/status/767763271050854400

this thread will go wild when this is out

oboy. I knew they were working on a new release, but I had no idea it would be 4K. I said I would upgrade if Collateral is released in that format, but this sure presents a compelling reason to do so, too.

Is there a person on Letterboxd with worse taste than Ava Davis

the new Almodovar sounds really meh :(

Hello friends, loved ones, and machill54, I hope you've had a wonderful weekend filled with great films. Happy Monday!

letterboxd.com/CoryBurning/

shut up mashill

youtube.com/watch?v=OGbhJjXl9Rk

LET THE BULLETS FLY

Dubs for machill

LET THE BULLETS FLY

do actually mean chinese movies or just asian in general?

Movies from the People's Republic of China.