What was his problem?

What was his problem?

Other urls found in this thread:

hollywoodchicago.com/uploaded_images/therewillbeblood_script.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Bastards in baskets

He had a competition in him. He wanted no one else to succeed.

Sociopathy probably

He drank someone elses milkshake

He had a moustache

That he was a white cis-male.

The fever. The rage. The feeling of selfishness that turns rich men cruel

YES, YES THAT WILL BE FINE

no problem. you are too beta to understand him.

just a overly manly guy from XIX century

Spent years alone digging, probably spent a few days crawling to get help when he got injured.

He just doesn't like the company of people.

He was obsessed with power and money in a growing industry, but deep down he still sees himself as a no name prospector (remember that scene after he killed Henry)

He looks at people and see nothing worth liking

wtf i hate oil now

He had made his fortune by crawling miles on his bare elbows through the desert. He earned it. When he looks at other people, he is disgusted by their lack of ambition.

Was it autism?

That's the straightforward reasoning.
But if you look you can see that behind it, he hates them because he's projecting his misery, because even tho he's earned all that he could trough hard work, he's still incapable of love while every rednecks around him can get and gove lots of it just by being dumb enough to be deceived by Eli.

I mean, the only moments in which he seemed remotely happy was when he had the parvence of a family around him

Holy shit. Was this intentional?

was he a virgin?

he had a son. didnt you watch the film?

Did you?

>you right now

This movie was one of a kind how much the guys acting resembled a sociopathic serial killer personality type

Nicely said

bruh

he sees the worst in people

>Would you make it look like that house?
>I think if I saw that house now, it'd make me sick.

that scene on the beach is amazing

outstanding posts

wonder if anyone would send him to butt-pound prison for his killing of Eli.

geeeet ouuttt ghooooooooooost

AND IT LEFT

What was his fucking problem?

TOO MUCH CONFUSION THANK YOU VERY MUCH

I SAY GET LIQUORED UP AND TAKE THEM TO THE PEACHTREE DANCE

>implying paul dano didn't steal the show
classic

Why did he have a bowling alley in the Old West? Unrealistic.

Eli

I told you that I was going to eat you didn't i

I know right? Back then they used to play it outside

he had a petition in him or something

It was in his mansion with no witnesses. He's a super rich oil magnate. If he didn't have his butler dispose of the body for a huge "bonus" in their pay he could just say it was self defense, that Eli attacked him. He definitely would get away with it.

TO THA WINDOOOOW

TO THA WALLL

It's great to rewatch this and catch all the awesome hidden lines in the background. Right after the "Oil man" speech and all the townspeople start arguing there's a guy in the background yelling "SIT THAT WOMAN DOWN! SIT DOWN!"

It's heavily implied that he can do whatever he wants and get away with it.

The whole thing is about how capitalism and religion both exploited the common man but in the modern age, capitalism killed religion and took its place as the master exploiter

I love listening for background lines.

In Die Hard, right at the end after Hans falls and you hear the jibber jabber of reporters etc as the camera pans over the TV vans you hear a female reporter say, "hand me my nose".

Thats incorrect though. You'll notice throughout the entire movie he always has one person with him. He NEEDS the company of people but he also hates them.

I totally catch this every time and chuckle too

He was a very complicated man. He wanted love but at the same time hated it. He wanted success but at the same time despised it for what he had to do. He was angry, calm, afraid, brave, loving, hateful, basically a simple human being who had a very strong will and vast ambitions.

it's like the cat meowing throughout the final fight scene in Bloodsport

just an asshole

TBQH, surprised they made a movie about someone like him

>He wanted love but at the same time hated it.
why did he hate love?

considered it a weakness

You hate the obligations and expectations that come with it? There's lots of reasons why being loved is difficult for somebody.

Because it conflicted with the actions he'd have to carry out for success, which he desired the most

There's a scene in the screenplay where he reveals to his "brother" that he's impotent.

he mistrusted it because he saw people like eli who took advantage of people's need for belonging

source?

that would explain everything about him

That's not true

glad they didn't pull that bullshit in the final cut. that would have ruined the whole complex motivations and the mystery behind his character. also, there would be retards who would just spout that would explain everything.

In the scene where Eli baptizes Daniel he accuses him of lusting after women as one of his sins.

impotent doesn't mean asexual dumbass

hollywoodchicago.com/uploaded_images/therewillbeblood_script.pdf
Page 81.
>my cock doesn't even work how'm I gonna make a kid?

>1920s
>old west

yeah and Eli was lying and bullshitting to his congregation for the whole movie

lol

Eli wanted to humiliate him. It's like the Soviets who'd spread lies about the dissidents.

ooooo when he fell in the opening scene he might have hurt a nerve from his spine, which would have rendered him unable to get a hard on for the rest of his life. still glad they didnt go with this.

The film is much more subtle than the screenplay.

It would certainly present of conflict of interest that might make him think for a second desu.

He is both egotistical and opportunistic.

I do believe he sees HW as an asset in which to sell his business. However, he gradually comes around to loving him.

The problem comes when HW loses his hearing and he has no clue how to deal with the aftermath. He can't accept that his "son" is disabled and will need will not have a completely normal life.

kek

>spout that would explain everything.
not everything but a whole fucking lot. he may as well have been a eunuch.

Look you fucking shallow cunt, don't armchair psychology like you know what you are talking about. That is exactly what I was referring to. HW fell, and lost his hearing but grew up to be a likable man who eventually found love. However, Daniel can't use his cock, and that explains why he was an asshole and an opportunist and a hateful person. What a fucking brilliant trope?! I guess everything is about cocks and cunts, right Dr. Freud? I guess as long as you lose anything that isn't your cock you can be a decent man. However, lose the cock, and you grow bitter and insecure. Fuck off! The script was utter shite, and you should shut your fucking mouth before you think.