/daily/ - Prodigal Fish edition

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

Previously on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

hrrecordings.bandcamp.com/
rateyourmusic.com/~StuffRodHeardAfterAugust
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/keiji_haino__jim_orourke_and_oren_ambarchi/ただ-美しく-溶けて-しまいたいのに、まだまだ満ち足りて-いないから、まだ見えていないはずの-ものの-ほうが-愛おしく-思えてしまう/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/so_f1/so/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/dolly_mixture/demonstration_tapes/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/akademie_fur_alte_musik_berlin_rene_jacobs/mass_in_b_minor_bwv_232/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/celimene_daudet/lart_de_la_fugue/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/hilary_hahn/hilary_hahn_plays_bach/
rateyourmusic.com/~daschial
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

sorry about the delay.
from what i've heard, thunder carnival, Final, and animal crossing are all very solid.
you might also like this label:
hrrecordings.bandcamp.com/
>gfr uploaded himself to the internet
>news

waitin for the /daily/ credit scene

Listening to your new album rn btw, good shit. Thought I would hate the way you used the piano, but it works out in the first track, the whole thing melts together very nicely.

Should I just go through all your older stuff soon or maybe save it for a chart

Give recs chrigo starvector darklands woolite kanzler caviarr

Minor threat taken

hello fucks.

beerb

do as you please. it's slightly varied.
remember to peep my other bodies, as documented here (intentionally incomplete):
rateyourmusic.com/~StuffRodHeardAfterAugust

Peasant is so good it's unfair

New thread, well hello everyone!

>Arab Strap - Philophobia
>Slowcore
2.5+
Those first lyrics caught me off guard, but also gave me some sort of idea of what else to expect from an album named Philophobia.
This is depressive and something that I feel I should really like, but at the same time I think it's a grower, so I might eventually end up enjoying it more later on.
Some tracks here are weak (and even lazy) when compared to the rest. Thankfully it still is has some great moments in terms of instrumentation. The lyrics are nice and have a same theme in common.
Favorite tracks: Here We Go, Islands, Not Quite a Yes, Piglet

>Women - Public Strain
>Indie rock
I had high expectations for this but it just sounds like your average indie rock act, yeah it is somewhat noisy and I like how they mantain that in par with some pop sensibilities that make some tracks stand out for being catchy.
In short it fails in being interesting, half of it is so bland and it's just there as an excuse for it being an LP and not an EP.
At least they could have taken this sound to somewhere else if they would have kept the same formula used in "Eyesore" for longer, that is adding more of the noise and psychedelic elements because those were just a decoration in this album.
Favorite tracks: China Steps, Drag Open, Locust Valley, Eyesore

women - public strain
just a very very bad album in all aspects don't listen to it it's bad

>Public strain
No

While I'm listening through the second tourney, any takers?

meme gender - pubic rain
Canada was a mistake.

0.5-

Yall heard the OKC remasters? There's a funnion at the end of the Palo Alto new version, I chuckled audibly.

i haven't heard okc

OKCupid?

thank u

more like pubic train lmao

hmm
hell yeah

women public strain
more like
no thanks lol

my (you)s have depreciated significantly

w p s
n

huh? :(

>Prodigal Fish
nigga where he at then? lol

heck
pubic train is a top 3 album for me

Going to an xxxtentacion and ski mask the slump god concert on Saturday, anything I should do while I'm there?

stay alive lmao

Punch him in the head

there are 2 types of people

Oh shit it's tru lmaooooo

What was your greatest achievement on /daily/?

make sure to roast telstar drugs next

these digits

wtf? I love public stain now

you can see my history of /daily/posting has not been a glorious one

no, waiting for my wavs tomorrow

I'll try my best
Honestly might throw a beer or something at him, I'll take a video if I do

Good morning /daily/!

Gonna check out something from my backlog now
Merzbox reviewed
Jandek discography reviewed
Memeing Haino to oblivion
Memeing my nose to oblivion
Meet ups with /daily/ people across Europe

yr bugskull score is the same as my public strain score(;
thoughts on it?

it's charming a lot of the time - great musical ideas coupled with the lo-fi aesthetic im very fond of. only complaint is that some songs/sections of the record drag a bit or feel like filler, but they're still generally enjoyable

Doggo can you rec me some really good supergroup free improv wankery? Something like that album from last thread? I know you've heard all those haino/O'Rourke/merzbow/Gustafson/ambarchi/junko/O'Malley/everyone else records that are out there. Lay the recs on me, I'm ready for this world.

Have you heard any of the collabs so far?

I heard aithein, which was kind of disappointing. I heard nazoranai which I need to relisten too, forgot about that, and shade themes from kairos, where sadly, the cover was the best part

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/keiji_haino__jim_orourke_and_oren_ambarchi/ただ-美しく-溶けて-しまいたいのに、まだまだ満ち足りて-いないから、まだ見えていないはずの-ものの-ほうが-愛おしく-思えてしまう/

go for this one!

Nice Letov link™

thats pretty much how i feel about it too. its a damn near perfect lofi indie album for me but some of the experimental parts bring it down. still in my top 10 tho.
also, just ordered the vinyl. feels good.

That was pretty good, overall. don't know if I'll ever love keiji's vocals, eh. I really liked the flow of it, not much felt tedious at all. wish the guitar had made a comeback from the beginning.
I have mixed feelings about the jump scare at 31 minutes. And the alarm beeping previous reminded me of when the space station is about to explode in metroid games. That got a little stressful.
Good dynamic range though and I like how varied the sounds are considering there are 3 players, I imagine everyone running around.

Mac Mall - Illegal Business? (1993)
>west coast hip hop, gangsta rap, mobb music

Good beats, good flow, what else could you want in a rap album? Well, I'd like something shorter with less incredibly blatant braggadocio lyrics, but I can't complain much. Mall is a great rapper, and he's great at making really stupid lines seem effortlessly badass. The production is very g-funk influenced, but the hard-hitting drums and the general grittiness of the sound makes me stomach that a lot better. Pretty essential for any hip hop fan.

3.0-

post of the year

Faith No More - The Real Thing (1989)
>funk metal, alternative metal, alternative rock

I bitch and moan about Mike Patton all the time, but I really do like him when he utilizes his voice in a creative manner. Angel Dust, California, and The Director's Cut are all albums where he turns in solid performances, using the full range of his voice to magnificent effect. Here, he stays in the same exact whiny range on every single song and it's fucking maddening. His rapping is godawful, and every single line he sings is like nails on a chalkboard for me. "From Out of Nowhere" is a nice, glammy intro, but everything else is either far too long or far too irritatingly poppy. Angel Dust is leaps and bounds better than this, I don't understand the love here.

0.5+

did you claim you gave a 4.5 recently? what was it?

black people singing bout jesus album

thats like every album from before 1950 lol

Marek Grechuta / Anawa - Korowód (1971)
>progressive folk, poezja śpiewana, folk rock

Some shorter tracks that go nowhere bring the album down a bit, which sucks because the longer, sprawling tracks are masterpieces. The title track especially is a masterpiece, blending together influences from pretty much every genre around, tying everything together with some poetry that, even though I can't understand it, is wonderfully performed. The poetry really does tie together the whole album, even if the actual songs have their low points. I suppose I should dig more into Poezja śpiewana, because it's been a rock solid genre for me.

yup, goodbye babylon.

if you ever have like 7 hours to spare give it a listen

Do you ever do tourneys?

sometimes, i did one most recently back in like february/march

might do one over the summer after i finish the Sup Forumscore chart

No like join other people's lol

oh! then yeah, sometimes. I know rn I'm in huttoad's and I think I just got knocked out of accel's.

Oh yeah I guess you're right. Mostly I just notice you working your ass off on your own chats

I can't stop listening to "Powderfinger", help. Also buying a car is stressful oh me oh my. Wish me luck all

Hey sorry if this is delayed, haven't been on here in a minute. My rec is Built to Spill if no one's taken it

Good Mac Mall score, bad Lou Reed score

I was surprised by Angel Dust honestly. I was expecting to hate it but it's weirdly entertaining

No worries. BTS is yours

shovels... are just big spoons

===letov vs shamepai (again)===

>The United States of America - S/T
>Psych/Experimental Rock

After a short sound collage of American anthems, I'm treated with strange electronic noises and a light ambiguous vocalist... And no guitar, only a bass! There are no guitars in this psychedelic rock album, using traditional drums, synths, and electric harpsichord/violin to lead the tracks. Really cool, for a 1968 release. I agree with rodriguez, in that the sound collage elements are mostly a mess.

And can I also say, fuck RYM users that say you haven't listened to an album unless you listen to it on drugs. I guess I can't listen to psychedelic if I'm not on drugs either

6+/10

>Sweet Trip - Halica
>Dream Pop

Sweet Trip's earliest work? It was ok, but nothing really jumps out at me from this album. Feels like lying down, staring at a bedroom ceiling in midday. Not the most pleasant feeling, but it could be worse. I think that feeling is why I couldn't get into this album: V:C:D balanced its floaty parts with breakbeats, but this album isn't hard-hitting enough to make an impact on me.

6/10

===unnamed trip vs s===

>Glenn Branca - The Ascension
>No Wave, Noise Rock

The cover art is one of those pictures that you initially expect to not fit in any context, but it perfectly suits this album. Something about how the man with the black coat is helplessly held in the grip of Glenn Branca, who seems to be communicating... disgust? Concern? Solemnity? Like he's pulling SOMETHING out from below, which may as well be his music.

I hear hints of Battles, Liturgy, Swans, GY!BA; I hear shoegaze, math and noise rock, noisy ambiance, post-rock.

This is one of those really important albums.

7/10

>Sandy Bull - Fantasia
>American Primitivism

Basho BTFO Bull TBQH

The Carmina Burana Fantasy was a bit absurd in this context, but a hymn like Non Nobis Domine works well with a banjo. Don't care for the other two tracks. The opus of this album, Blend, is must-hear.

6/10

===NoveltyCondom vs nyarlaixfd===

>The Birthday Part - Live 1981-82
>Post Punk

Excellent recording quality. Cave sounds way better in his prime.

6/10

>Black Pus - Black Pus 1
>Noise Rock/Free Jazz

Album art is very accurate. Gremlins get a hold of a band's instruments, and have a 26 minute jam session.

Actually, one gremlin. This album was made by one guy, which is pretty good. Still have to be in a specific mood to hear this, though.

5/10

===stick vs rice===

>David Bowie - Blackstar
>Art Rock

The production and jazz influences really get in the way of the first two tracks. Lazarus is where my interest was really grabbed, and partially let go in hearing Sue-- It's clearly calling back to his older electronic work, except his select instrumentalist features to replace D&B.

The Clockwork Orange language in Girl Loves Me is very neat, but does feel more like a gimmick placed over actual mediocre lines. The last track is a gut punch of tacky production choices and a simple repeated line.

I've listened to very little Bowie prior to this. While this album seems to be an interesting stylistic twist following his death, I think the fact that some of these songs were already written prior to this is what held it back from leaving the album's interpretation to be entirely driven by Bowie's death. It makes more sense that Bowie leave a mystical goodbye with his persona, but it does make this feel less genuine than I'd like.

6+/10

>Sirconical - Waving at Planes
>Ambient Techno

A consistent and winding album of techno and light glitch. The way In Your Own Time slowly unravels from downtempo to breakbeat (and back!) pleasantly surprised me.

Compared to something like Blackstar, this does feel very underwhelming. This album seems comfortable sitting in real life, and I never felt like it was taking me anywhere. Just showing me some neat tricks, or casually conversing with me.

6/10

======

stick, unnamed trip, NoveltyCondom, and Letov advance.

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/so_f1/so/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/dolly_mixture/demonstration_tapes/

Me'Shell NdegéOcello – Plantation Lullabies
This is an incredibly idiosyncratic mixture of R’n’B, Hip-Hop, Neo-Soul; Jazz and Pop. The genre-blending doesn’t always work (especially the rapping is somewhat clumsy, but I guess it has that early 90s amateurish charm to it). What makes this album stand out is the bass work on here: It features ridiculously great bouncy basslines throughout the whole 1 h runtime. While it definitely has some flaws, I’m surprised that Me'Shell NdegéOcello is so overlooked I haven’t heard from her before I stumbled upon her in a list of Brian Eno’s favorite albums (even though I discovered in retrospect that one of her songs was featured on an episode of The Wire). 6/10
What next?

avg ratings as follows

impostertuco: 3.3
kanzler: 2.5
lamb: 2.6
s: 3.2
post-feelist: 3

congratulations tuco for having the least bad

Mornin' /daily/, had a really weird dream that this Indian at my workplace gave me a lecture on patrician-hood and how one has to develop a deep understanding of Beat Happening in order to comprehend music history, it kinda scared me. So I guess I'll listen to that today, maybe God intervened in my dream space to boost the number of citizens involved in the patrician-hood.

Pylon - Gyrate user, have a nice day!

TIME TO POST THAT GAY SHIT ON THE LORD'S DAY

dont forget The Noise

hey guys
how are you doing?
a friend just introduced me to Iris Dement last week.
Have any of you listened to this album? It's so beautiful.

getting to 2nd round is still a win for me
-

trip up - 4.66

>Telstar Drugs - s/t
Lots of fun guitar and drums in this, however it's unfortunately equally matched with unsubstantial slow sections in every song.
5/11

>Duster - Stratosphere
"It's slowcore"
5-/11

>men - Pubic train
Hello boring droney segments with lofi indie!
4+/11

next time,,>ifinish collumn
Connection error.Connection error.Connection error.Connection error.Connection error.Connection error.

Oh yes, that is a good point!

Hell0!

the charts are my true calling

angel dust is damn solid, my dad's played it around me forever.

and good luck!

hey man

infamous angel is cool too, make sure you check that one out.

tfw still never finish anything but thinking about making a new chart

emo (may have an emphasis on screamo), Asian trad and Bach

can I get some recs

even if I don't make a chart, I will have recs and may write about them

yeah infamous angel is great as well, but my life is better imo

hey hey hey

Tihang Gultom Group - Batak Music

For Bach
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/akademie_fur_alte_musik_berlin_rene_jacobs/mass_in_b_minor_bwv_232/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/celimene_daudet/lart_de_la_fugue/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/hilary_hahn/hilary_hahn_plays_bach/

henlo it's been a while since I've last seen you, laugher

thanks for the rec

fun fact: "batak" is also a term that means "fit" in Filipino
thank you Doggo

also, where in Euro are you rn

Forcing memes intentionally.
Forcing memes unintentionally.

Will someone recommend me an album
it's been a while since i've been her laughter :)

I can't remember ur taste rn desu

did you have an RYM?

Career Suicide

rateyourmusic.com/~daschial
i haven't really used it for quite some time though

which one

oh what the hecc that's you?

damn ok

hm it says you haven't listened to Twin Fantasy yet

maybe that might be up your alley

the wilhelm scream one

alright they better not be memes

Latvia, flying to Slovakia on Sunday.

I forgot again what your reasons for doing these trips are but damn you're lucky you get to travel to all these places

siccest place you've been to?

you're mom :^)

Work. I audit companies and the locations are pretty far apart.

Well I recently went back to US for work and got to chill with my college m8s. That was good. Prior to that I also was in MADrid and chilled with s. My favorite though is probably Serbia this year just because of all the food.

Tupac alive?

Yes, we chilled. He told me you should listen to the song Ain't Hard 2 Find for all the truth, but you have to replace "California" with "Serbia"

iarrested for taste crimes