Grimes

Discuss the artist of the decade, Claire Boucher. You may know her as Grimes.

- Grimes won Best EDM/Dance award @ MMVA: mmva.muchmusic.com/nominees/
- interview: youtube.com/watch?v=cyzr1q-Y8z0
- awkward Grimes on red carpet: streamable.com/obxho
- music video of the day: youtube.com/watch?v=ADPk5PpkjMg

Other urls found in this thread:

last.fm/user/chairmandore/library
youtube.com/watch?v=ahnUH7wnW30
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimes_(musician)#Musical_style
pandora.com/station/2895208146671614201
youtube.com/watch?v=2WPCLda_erI
youtube.com/watch?v=FTvanzhR6ok
youtube.com/watch?v=L_hFrJ-FM2o
youtube.com/watch?v=lhNxvoXOKcI
youtube.com/watch?v=bWam7u9uBNY
youtube.com/watch?v=UUe9rnucPoU
youtube.com/watch?v=iVt3FxE8F9w
youtube.com/watch?v=IsNaj6l5z8M
youtube.com/watch?v=q2_hBNQqEus
youtube.com/watch?v=E1cLVE1ZXqw
youtube.com/watch?v=gUxCeVupemA
youtube.com/watch?v=hy3FPRaeW3Y
youtube.com/watch?v=_0_e_OWy694
youtube.com/watch?v=Jo_AIWO2AUQ
youtube.com/watch?v=7LmBM0mTafI
youtube.com/watch?v=U-bKSyG0lng
youtube.com/watch?v=Fb_0LzBv894
youtube.com/watch?v=X8v4vwWcIgI
youtube.com/watch?v=N_hOYZ90_iQ
youtube.com/watch?v=RvXkx3IcOi4
youtube.com/watch?v=UiGHFYqeqck
youtube.com/watch?v=FsYt1-5MXT4
youtube.com/watch?v=qGLvUejoRb4
youtube.com/watch?v=NpSZxfHBPWA
youtube.com/watch?v=aw8IwXr1DFI
youtube.com/watch?v=3REHoqNE_7U
youtube.com/watch?v=c2EJMd7ZN7w
youtube.com/watch?v=RUrYEXREdnI
youtube.com/watch?v=VvAaGgfN2CE
youtube.com/watch?v=k12xiZfRiqs
youtube.com/watch?v=yN2wGLfkfQc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

grimes is perfect

Never in my life I have felt emotional attraction for another person, Never felt any love for all the girls that are in my life, even when they tried, but, I found it, a person that's only beautiful in my eyes, others can say that she's ugly but in my eyes she will always be shining, never I have felt this aroused in life, I love you Grimes

She's truly awesome.

Visions > Art Angels > Halfaxa > Darkbloom > Geidi Primes > Lethe

To be totally honest she reminds me of my sister. Also I liked the point she made.

I wanna bang Grimes.

And I'm gay.

>Visions > Art Angels > Halfaxa > Darkbloom > Geidi Primes > Lethe
agreed

But that's literally the only reason she's popular

Okay guys I'm allowing you to have this thread just make sure not to bring your autism into other threads again

She's popular because of her art.

>I'm allowing you
oh wow

Her ex thread just got 381 posts and it's on page 9.

This

ok Sup Forums i listened to 4 songs, and i dont really understand the adoration.

dont get me wrong, the music videos and artistic ideas are great, and the music is cool, but the singing is not very good. Shes got a meh anime voice, and there is reverb, effects, and filters on everything. Does she write her own music at least?

Shes just a weirder katy perry.

Why do you like her so much? I cant imagine its because of the music.

GRIMES PROFILE

>Full name: Claire Elise Boucher
>Born: 17 March 1988 in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
>Origin: Québécois, Ukrainian, Russian and Italian descent
>Instruments: vocals, synthesizer, sampler, keyboard, guitar, bass, drums, violin, ukulele

>Skills:
- singer
- songwriter
- producer
- sound engineer
- lyricist
- live performer
- visual artist
- music video director
- dancer
- model
- virtuoso
- writer

>Main interests:
Music, visual arts, dancing, books, films, modeling, video games, internet, and others

>Music taste:
last.fm/user/chairmandore/library
youtube.com/watch?v=ahnUH7wnW30
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimes_(musician)#Musical_style
pandora.com/station/2895208146671614201

>Others:
- Grimes does everything in her music, from singing and songwriting to artwork and production
- nice personality, beautiful look, cares about environment issues and saving animals
- took her name from grime music after discovering the existence of the genre on Myspace
- studied ballet for 11 years
- was a goth outcast in high school
- studed neuroscience, philosophy, and Russian literature and McGill University before being dropped out for missing classes
- had some troubles in the past: drugs, 2 friends died because of overdosing drugs, sexual assault, shitty jobs, the professor who got her into a music program killed himself
- started making music when she was around the age of 22 or 23
- big Lord of the Rings, Dune, Game of Thrones, Star Wars, Abbess Hildegard von Bingen and Russian literature fan
- her best friends are James Brooks, Hana, Bloodpop, Duffy, Born Gold

Friendly reminder that Grimes will never release a bad album. She will use any means necessary to make it as good as possible.

>it's annoying i know haha, but my albums take a long time to create because i don't buy songs/ hire producers/ writers or engineers. the majority of artists do, so they are able to release music faster. unfortunately it takes me longer because if there's a style i need to learn i just have to figure it out by trial and error, or if im stuck on a lyric or beat sometimes i have to start again. i think it leads to more original product though, and hopefully the fans are happier in the long run. that said, i am making a lot of music right now, but i also want to have more of a sonic theme to this album so i'm using less of the stuff i'm recording. in any case, ill try to be as swift as possible!"

Listen more than once
They're grower

thats cool, Its just the music is not that great.

I guess if you want to idolize her because of how she does things, thats cool.
I have a similar crush on Tom Scholz of Boston.

Is Grimes a modern day Tom Scholz?

>Its just the music is not that great
what do you mean? which songs have you listened?

>thrust you

nice

She's a sell out and a bitch also a slut

that's very rude

Realti,Oblivion, Genesis,Venus FLy

Its generic pop, done well, with washed out vocals

How are those generic pop? Do you know some other songs that sound like these?

Also, check out her whole Visions album -> it's an entry level stuff to get into her music though it's also probably the best of her albums.

i could be this but remixed
youtube.com/watch?v=2WPCLda_erI

dude, it's too soon. let her music sink into your brain and hopefully you'll get what's the big deal about her. listen to all her albums at least once. her music is a massive grower.

>Shes just a weirder katy perry.
no. don't be fooled by her catchy songs, she's way more than that. you may surprised how diverse is her music:

youtube.com/watch?v=FTvanzhR6ok
youtube.com/watch?v=L_hFrJ-FM2o
youtube.com/watch?v=lhNxvoXOKcI
youtube.com/watch?v=bWam7u9uBNY
youtube.com/watch?v=UUe9rnucPoU
youtube.com/watch?v=iVt3FxE8F9w
youtube.com/watch?v=IsNaj6l5z8M
youtube.com/watch?v=q2_hBNQqEus
youtube.com/watch?v=E1cLVE1ZXqw
youtube.com/watch?v=gUxCeVupemA
youtube.com/watch?v=hy3FPRaeW3Y
youtube.com/watch?v=_0_e_OWy694
youtube.com/watch?v=Jo_AIWO2AUQ
youtube.com/watch?v=7LmBM0mTafI
youtube.com/watch?v=U-bKSyG0lng
youtube.com/watch?v=Fb_0LzBv894
youtube.com/watch?v=X8v4vwWcIgI
youtube.com/watch?v=N_hOYZ90_iQ
youtube.com/watch?v=RvXkx3IcOi4
youtube.com/watch?v=UiGHFYqeqck
youtube.com/watch?v=FsYt1-5MXT4
youtube.com/watch?v=qGLvUejoRb4
youtube.com/watch?v=NpSZxfHBPWA
youtube.com/watch?v=aw8IwXr1DFI
youtube.com/watch?v=3REHoqNE_7U
youtube.com/watch?v=c2EJMd7ZN7w

>generic pop
Care to name similar songs to them? Because I couldn't find anything like them.

Serious question: do you even like the genre synthpop?

Not sure about the resemblance except for 4/4 beat and some back vocals with reverb. That's not enough to be comparable.

Grimes was annoying and all but when it's all said and done I don't think anyone deserve to die the way she did

>I guess if you want to idolize her because of how she does things, thats cool.
That's only part of her appeal. The bulk of appreciation comes from her amazing songs. They're amazing once you get into them.

I'm curious: what other artists are you usually listening to?

Vaguely similar elements =/= similar songs. There's much more than the aesthetic.

Like Mozart, she will never truly die. Her music will likely be taught in schools during future generations.

Got posted in the last thread right before it died. Think it's a good idea to share it to this one too tho

This tracks a little reminder for everyone in this thread wanting to wife/waifu her. You're in love with your idea of her, not the actual person. or all the distance between you and her, she may as well not even exist except as your idea of her.

>she'll never be your dream girl

youtube.com/watch?v=RUrYEXREdnI

usually dadrock and heavy metal but anything from country to death metal to classical and some pop
not really?
yeah the music has some cool ideas, unfortunately they're all drowned out in reverb and echo. The singing is meh.

Sit down, man. It's gonna be okay. You just had a stroke, bud but you're gonna alright. You should probably refrain from talking to trolls/non-fans about Grimes on the internet though. It's the only way to be sure this doesn't happen again. We good? Good.

>usually dadrock and heavy metal but anything from country to death metal to classical and some pop
considering that, i hardly see how could her futuristic synthpop with high pitched vocals would appeal to you. that's it, her music is not for everyone in the same way slayer isn't for everyone.

stop. grimes is alive and happy

Realiti
Life in the vivid dream/blood
Art Angels (the track)
Rosa

This is my starter pack for pop Grimes

I kinda agree with on it creeping up on you.
I felt the way same way for years before her tunes started to click with me. Maybe the same will happen with you? Maybe not? Her lyrics are what eventually did it for me and what kept me around when she went heavy on the pop.

Flesh without blood *

she qt

Idea of her is still her you know.

And if it was so easy... how come I don't like Katy perry or lorde or whatever?

You have to admit that Grimes is either

Hotter than lorde and Katy perry by far

Or

That her music is legitimately love inducing.

Choose one.

Not that user, but I'd pick both:
>Hotter than lorde and Katy perry by far
>That her music is legitimately love inducing.
Unironically.

Katy Perry is very generic besides her boobs (and looks quite terrible with short hair) and Lorde is so-so. Lorde at 20 looks older than Claire at 29, ffs.

Well yeah but I wanted that haterade user to choose.

OK. Let's see his opinion.

>Its generic pop, done well, with washed out vocals

This is true but i'm going to ignore that because grimes is cute

Realiti is not washed out.

It's ethereal vocals.

Guy from the last thread here.
I downloaded her discography just now and will listen soon.

I still think she's overrated, but I'll try again to understand the hype and bullshit. I already said I thought some of her stuff was alright-ish-maybe.

>Inb4 fanboys call me a "hater" or something
I wasn't "hating" anything in the last thread, I was simply expressing my opinion. Also, it's just words on Sup Forums, calm the fuck down.
I still think that many of her fanboys are virginal men who have placed her in the "waifu" category (whatever the fuck that is, I don't watch anime) and simply obsess in a white knight-ish way screaming at anyone who criticises her.

I also recently found out by looking at her Instagram that she is an SJW, which is embarrassing in this day and age.
I thought she's supposed to be all smart, and punk, and revolutionary dude?! Not very, from what I gather.

Anyway, if the music is good, I'll let you know.

Her outfits are cool af. That fishnet like shirt(??) looks so good.

Non AA albums aren't about vocals.

Listen to the track Art Angels and you will swallow your cock of words about "washed up" vocals.

What do you think she smells like?

Piss
BO
Lavender

like a flower

No one is arguing that? What I mean is you really like her and she is very skilled, but it's pretty dang unlikely she'll be remembered in the same way Mozart is. Do you realize how slim those odds are? I mean, even if she is a cut above the rest, she lives in the first recorded age of information. There are literally thousands of other amazing artists no one has ever heard of or are well known now but'll be washed into the clusterfuck of every other modern artists in the decades to come.

If anyone's got the skills to last as long as you're implying, Claire would definitely be a candidate. It's just not likely she will be remembered that way in this realiti.

Listen to Artangels and remove cock from ass.

I posted on the older thread too. I don't understand why do you care so much about her if you said she's nothing special. There are millions of other artists. What makes you post here?

Hopefully you learned some manners this time and at least have the decency to act like a sane person. No more insults! I'm looking forward to see your opinions about her discography.

>I still think she's overrated, but I'll try again to understand the hype and bullshit. I already said I thought some of her stuff was alright-ish-maybe.
Anyone could change their mind. Her music rewards repeated listens.

No matter how talented she is, if she wants Mozart levels of popularity she needs a serious boost in popularity. Highly unlikely, esp. because she's a woman (how many female composers do you know?), because there are different times (much bigger competition) and because her music is vocal based.

Idea of her or not it's still her.

If she wasn't an artist I'd mistake her for maybe one of those artsy lesbian types.

>I still think that many of her fanboys are virginal men who have placed her in the "waifu" category (whatever the fuck that is, I don't watch anime) and simply obsess in a white knight-ish way screaming at anyone who criticises her.
That's completely taken out of your ass. No need to be rude to her fans, hater.

also watch live videos with her to realize that she is even greater
youtube.com/watch?v=VvAaGgfN2CE
youtube.com/watch?v=k12xiZfRiqs
youtube.com/watch?v=yN2wGLfkfQc

Your first statement is literally not true. Your idea of her is how you react to her existence, which you only ever experience second or third-hand. What she actually is is not subjective like your ideas of her. Read into a bit of Taoism, pal. Might do your head good.

And I don't have to pick one. It might be true that in the right audience her music can cause feelings of strong affection(love is a mutual gesture) and that she is an attractive person, depending on tastes, but neither of these are absolutes by any means. You don't liek those artists because they aren't your IDEA of what's good. but your idea of what's good is also only a fact for yourself.

tldr; No and no. Your subjective feelings do not define objective beings.

>I don't understand why do you care so much about her if you said she's nothing special.
I don't, you...okay, no insults.
You just live in a world where you read on Tumblr or something some bullshit about haters, and maybe some quote along the lines of what you just said, and now you think "why don't you just ignore it bro" because (and i'm trying to be nice here) your iq is too low to understand that if this were the case, and that "haters" just ignored things and people never challenged themselves and instead just went back to things they know for certain they enjoy, then the world would be one boring rock of nothing now, wouldn't it?

We don't live in a world where the only two options are either a) like it or b) don't like it and never ever speak of it again, never criticise it, never try to understand it, never try to see why you don't or do, etc

So again, kindly, fuck off

It's not though, is it? Many of them in this very thread make comments on her appearance and "what she smells like?", etc. This is common.
Many like her appearance first and then got into her music, like a cult of personality type of deal. They find her attractive, plus the music gives them a hobby/excuse for obsession, etc. It's not uncommon.

Alright, will do

Huh.

I do this too, say a lot of words but without actually saying anything

As a fan, i gotta he's not too far off base. Lots of other fans are mostly into her because they need a surrogate lover/mother figure in their world. She's good, but recognize she's not really someone that's a part of your life. Her art is, but the real Claire will likely never be.

Not implying anything about you specifically btw. Just from what I've seen of her fans here and irl

claire would probably be disgusted by most of us desu

Ya we're talking about her and her art all this time.

And whatever fantasies we may have, we all know they're fantasy but most of the time fantasies are fine and sweet things to have.

And my point yet stands - real Grimes or Fantasy Grimes, it's still Grimes and her music.

Before u do something
Just stop an think
Wot would Grimes do
Thnk u

This isn't even about Grimes any more.

You're just here to tell me my feelings are wrong.

>doesn't understand something
>assumes it's because the other person fucked up
>assuming you know more than any given stranger on any given subject
ok friend. whatever floats your boat, I guess.

The Grimes troll is actually the biggest white knight of all - he perceives us plebeian Grimes fans as neckbearded threats and thus does his best to shoot down any posts that he finds to have "waifuism" in it.

Bizarre

On another note does anybody have the pic with her and a fan kissing her

Again

Huh

Those ears though.

Again, no.

Your feelings are true for you. I'm not refuting that. What I'm saying is that the people that obsess over her often fail to realize/forget that they do not know her and never will. Even if they were to, the chances that she'd upon up and share with you her true self are slim to none. That's just people, man. It's nice to idealize people and have heroes/fantasies/whatever, but just be sure to keep at least one foot rooted in reality.

Not trying to make you feel bad, dude. Just trying to look out for people that might not even know there's a reason someone might want to look out for them. I've seen fantasies become obsessions and obsessions ruin lives in friends and family. It's a sad life to lead and possibly even sadder to watch someone you care about squander their love and potential. Take whatever it is you will away from this. I just hope you don't stuck on the wrong ideas about people.

The praise of Grimes bothers the Grimes Troll because it directly interferes with his own waifuism of Grimes.

Buddy instead of just trolling why don't you just join us instead and indulge in "waifuism" posting?

Or do you not share them because you actually believe your own waifuism of Grimes to be more than that.

i want to see this

someone make it happen pls

You don't want me to squander my potential for love on Grimes waifu posting?

Why is it just particularly Grimes though? I doubt you would care if I made a waifu post about any other woman.

Man, she kinda looks like Lauren Palmer's cousin here

It's second hand feels. It's like "yeah she looks so at peace here" and it's nice.

She's being kissed.

she has made my life very dark

nah, he is a dick

I think he's her ex bf or maybe even ex stalker I don't know.

But his trolling is actually very territorial.

t. White knight fag type I'm referring to
I couldn't give a single fuck for her, I'm simply trying to understand why the hype exists. You are deranged and need to seek help for your obsession mate.

Also, I understand the demographics of Sup Forums. Majority watch anime/or are interested in it. Majority male. Large percentage virginal, social outcasts, etc.
Just read this thread and the last one. They are the only two threads about this chick I've ever posted in, and they're both full of obsessed fanboys pondering what she smells like, and calling anyone who criticises her a "hater", etc.

I know, I'm not wrong

Did my post make u guys rlly think

I want to travel to a Grimes concert in another country solely for a purpose of doing a similar photo. Am I obsessed too much?

Yet your actions contradict your words - your obsession with these threads are stronger than anyone else's to be honest .

Have you even given one deep critique of her music? I've given many myself over the months regarding mostly Art Angels.

You have yet to listen to a single track.

I'm the dude that noticed that the CD version of Art Angels is of lesser quality than the digital ones on YouTube.

You.. haven't listened to a single song.

Yet, we still discuss her music a lot.
Real waifuism is here:

I've been on this ride for about 2 years now. Discovered her music and got into it pretty heavily. If you're asking why the hype exists, I think it might be that she was very grassroots. Came out of fucking nowhere, started a music career (has no real background in music apparently) and just straight up exploded.

I think people get affixed to these stories because it gives people hope that they too can find relevance and validation in this world. That she came out of nowhere and became so widely known and toured and met with such success is why the hype exists.

Whether she's objectively good or bad (at making music) is subjective and really up to individual tastes. I think she's pretty damn good, unique even in my opinion. But again, if you don't like her music that's cool with me. I don't expect everyone to like what she's putting out. Hell, even I don't like everything she puts out.

I'm not trying to be mean, but you're either delusional or trolling pretty hard.

I get fandom, but there is a difference between appreciating someone and using your idea of them as an emotional crutch. I'm married and love my wife. I love her because she's a person I've spent a lot of time with and know that I connect with in deep ways that I don't share with most other people. Your "love" for this artist is most likely a combination of needing someone to fill some sort of emotional void in your life and maybe actually liking her art.

You sound like you're trying to convince people to stay weak and in need of their crutches, though they COULD walk on their own if given the opportunity to do so. You are suggesting that I want other people to not think of this artist so that I can think of her myself and that's pretty ridiculous in itself, my friend. No hate meant here. Are you thinking about what you're saying or are you maybe speaking with blind emotion? Because blind emotion is a dangerous thing if left unchecked.

And it's not about Grimes in articular. Just came into the thread to talk about her music/lyrics/themes and was severely disappointed to see so many people obsessing over this image of her. It's a waste of effort and potential to worship/pine for things that will literally never be within your reach. It's not the praise that bothers me. It's the misdirected effort...much like me trying to explain the folly in idol worship.

Fuck it. You win. Waste your life chasing the white rabbit. I refuse to do the same.

>I've seen fantasies become obsessions and obsessions ruin lives in friends and family. It's a sad life to lead and possibly even sadder to watch someone you care about squander their love and potential.
For you, Grimes is a weakness. For me, she is my strength.

>that tongue
halitosis confirmed

it wont last

And if you really "loved" Grimes, you'd take her advice to heart. She on multiple occasions urges the audience to "let [her] go" and reminds them that "[she'll] never be your dream girl".

Grimes is what I love.

True strength comes from inside us user.