Anyone got a Behringer Deepmind 12...

Anyone got a Behringer Deepmind 12? Going to buy my first hardware synth for my birthday and really like this one the most. Any cheaper synths doesn't seem unique or advance enough, and any more expensive synths seem to be only that price due to them being 'heritage' brand (Dave Smith Instruments, Moog, for example)

Although the Access Virus Ti2 look pretty good too

Other urls found in this thread:

roland.com/global/products/se-02/
youtube.com/watch?v=3WFVYVd7oFE
youtu.be/PcIhUkZUxPA
ebay.com/itm/COAX-AUDIO-CABLE-HIGH-QUALITY-SHIELDED-5mm-DIAMETER-OFC-CONDUCTORS-PVC-NEW-/191747568751?hash=item2ca50bb46f
youtube.com/watch?v=Ynm44MeqPfk).
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Trusting Behringer with $1000 purchase

Might as well just flush your money down the toilet

I don't know, mate, got pretty good reviews, sounds pretty unique and great, lots of people love it and are having no problems with it and comes with a 3 year warranty. That said, it could break in a few years, but so could other synths. Everyone's gotta start somewhere.

blofeld

Sounds a little 'glassy' if that makes sense but it's a contender. Comes between Deepmind 12, Access Virus Ti or Blofeld Keyboard for me.

Personally, it seems a little "boring" to me. Have you seen the Dreadbox Abyss?

Prophet 08 is not that much more expensive than the Deepmind and is better

The raw sounds do, but with effects they sound amazing, in my own opinion. Still need to research more before buying. The Abyss looks decent but 4 voices is a little limiting, having to get a controller/keyboard extension would be a drag too, but something i'd be interested in future.

Must've overlooked it, looks pretty good, would consider it also. I like the DSI instruments a lot but find the price to be out of my range, £500 over my budget of £1000 isn't too much more though

Can you try it before you buy it? I certainly would. It could be great, but it could be shit. It is Behringer, after all.

If it was me, and modular wasn't included in the decision, I'd go with an OP-1

Sadly not, don't think they've got one in my local music shop, although I can take another peep for sure, willing to go to next town over too. Why OP-1? Seems better for general music production than synth sounds, and 25 keys is a bit limited for me

Would love to get started on modular but thought it'd be best to have at least one polysynth and one monosynth first, good to get started straight away music wise and allows use for a lot of genres. But would certainly get started on collecting modulars straight after

I saw guitar center have one

That would be a hell of a first synth. My first synth was some bs casio with """""general midi™"""""

deepmind may not have a very iconic sound, but it can still do a wide range of stuff. I'd easily choose that over a Virus Ti or Blofeld.

Don't think they have them in the UK, sadly

My thought exactly, would rather have something that can do a lot of things well than just one thing extremely well. If it wasn't monotimbral and had 61 keys instead of 49 I wouldn't even need to ask. Deepmind can do everything from Electric Pianos and 'classic' stuff to some really far out stuff, from what i've heard. The Prophet does have a nicer warmer tone to it though, but sounds more limited in versatility.

no, I don't have a Behringer Deepmind 12, sorry, can't help you there

Do you definitely need an analogue polysynth? there's shitloads of good mono analogue gear available for less money than the Deepmind

there's also stuff like the Nord Lead or A1 that do fantastic modelling

or ...

roland.com/global/products/se-02/

theyre too expensive. I have been reduced to buying 5$ keyboards at goodwill

Nord Lead 4 is on the list too, all of them need comparing really. I'd really like one, yeah, for pads and chords and what not. Maybe i'm wrong and too new to this but mono seem better for bass, leads, generally 'phatter' sounds although good for some pads too. I have my eyes on the SH-101 for my mono, i've always loved the sound of it, and plan getting it straight after getting the polysynth or/and at the same time if I have the money. Moog Sub Phatty seems pretty great too.

I'd have no issue delving into the world of vintage/cheap synths either, for me the most important thing if versatility and sound. I'd rather pay more of a synth that can do a lot of stuff than a synth that is really good at one thing but that's it (DSI sounds great but in some genres I just couldn't see them working) I kind of have a weird thing against 'classic' analog sounds, prefer something a bit unique or even modern, which I think the Deepmind 12 provides, for me anyway.

Oh and thanks for all the suggestions everyone, by the way, is a big help

Would actually love a Casio SK-1, a toy sampler sounds fun. My first keyboard (but not synth) was a cheap Yamaha that was far too big for my room. Helped me learn a bit of piano though.

Korgfag here, but the ms20mini and minilogue have really done the trick for me so far. Would recommend

SH-101 is a single oscillator, slightly limits you. Like you can't do hard sync, ring mod, crossmod. But it does sound great. I can also recommend the Roland JD-XA, the sequencer is shit but who cares when you have a DAW.

MS20 Mini still uses Hz per Volt CV, no good for me. My shit has to work with eurorack.

What's the deal with these? I thought all the first demos that came out with it were thin and weedy, even when they were stacking voices, but people were throwing shitfits when that criticism came up. So are these thin and weedy or was it just bad initial demos?

Best review of the Deepmind.

youtube.com/watch?v=3WFVYVd7oFE

Why do you have pressure points on a center row? Also got any close ups of that modular/recordings?

I only use the Pressure Points as a CV sequencer with the Brains to do tempo-synced filter cutoff stuff. Never really use the touchpads on it. Plus it's good to plug through two channels of the Doepfer quantizer and generate random arpeggios. but the real fun of the modular is doing improv stuff in one take.

youtu.be/PcIhUkZUxPA

Pretty cool. I was considering buying pressure points because they reminded me of those old buchla touchplates, but I'm not sure how useful they actually are because the patch ideas I have would be better covered with a qunexus or they are gimmicky. (running one line as a pitch sequence while the other 2 control stereo levels on a dual LPG)

The OP-1 is a very versatile little tool. It sounds great, and seems to pair wonderfully with something like an Octatrack, which I already own.

I use them all the time now. One unit on its own is useless, you really need to buy two and the Brains controller, then it becomes a clocked three-channel CV sequencer. I've also got shitloads of half-finished Arduino projects to do similar things using 12-bit DACs, I'll get something finished eventually but the modular takes up so much time and money it's unreal.

If you just want a modulation CV sequencer get a cheapo one like the cavuisynth SEQ-UFO

modular guy here, I like some of the sounds from the Elektron gear but it just seems really menu-divey to me, how much of a steep learning curve is there with their gear?

>minilogue
how is this for 80s dark/vaporwave/synth type pads and strings?
also is that clicky sound that I hear everyone complain about a big deal?

IDK man. Do your research. All synths are going to have great "different" sound coming from them.

First synth as a Yamaha ex5 - Great sounds, shitty logic, not enough knobs but an easy way to save the sound settings indefinitely.

Last was a Arturia Mini Brute - Great sounds, no logic, tons of knobs and sliders and no real way of getting the "exact" sound back again.

IDK - Play the shit out of it at SAM ash till you like it.

nice setup!
how is that digital + analog roland?
also, where did you get those thick patch cables?

The only Elektron gear I've fucked with is the Analog Rytm and learning the workflow wasn't as difficult as I was expecting. It's a little menu-divey, but not as bad as you'd think. Most settings you can get to with one or or two button presses, with no scrolling or bullshit like that. Loading samples into a project involves menu diving, but if you keep your samples organized it's not that bad. The hardest part about learning it is wrapping your head around how deep it is. It took me a couple months before I felt like had a decent understanding of it, and even 8 months later there are still some features that I haven't fully explored.

I've heard the Octatrack has a much more difficult learning curve, but I've never used one. I'm thinking about picking up an Analog Keys pretty soon, but I might get a Sub 37 instead.

Im looking into new midi/synth at the moment too, im thinking about getting the m-audio ctrl49, anyone have/heard/know about this? looks pretty amazing for the price

I don't know anything about it, but just in case you aren't aware, that isn't a synth, it's just a midi controller.

i know. im also searching for synths as well. the ctrl49 is just one i threw out there cause its the one thats stood out to me the most so far, just wish there were more videos on it

Personally it seems a little gimmicky. I don't really need a screen like that on my midi controller.

but those sound banks though, so, so many VSTS...

The Roland JD-XA is just glorious. Not had it long but it's truly incredible. Maybe not as refined as the Prophet 08 but it does some really great arpeggio stuff and pad sounds you can walk around inside.

The cables are ones I made up myself using Neutrik plugs and cable from Maplin. I've had them since about 1995 and they haven't crackled once. And that includes thousands of gigs with them on my guitar amp.

ebay.com/itm/COAX-AUDIO-CABLE-HIGH-QUALITY-SHIELDED-5mm-DIAMETER-OFC-CONDUCTORS-PVC-NEW-/191747568751?hash=item2ca50bb46f

Octanon here, like what the other user said who's fucked with the rytm, its only slightly menu-divey.

With the Octatrack, I think Cuckoo summed it up best when he said that it wasn't really hard, its just a lot of opportunity in one small space.

I think an octa would be a good addition to your modular rig, what with all the realtime sampling and mangling thats possible

too bad they don't sell talent

>I can't afford any gear

it's one of the best selling synths in the last year or so, and it's pretty decent sounding too (it can do pretty much all of the bread and butter sounds: youtube.com/watch?v=Ynm44MeqPfk). oscillator section is a bit limited but everything else is pretty nice.

there's also a module version that will come out in a few weeks, so if 49 keys is enough for you then you can get it now or wait for the module.

See, that tiny little LCD screen would drive me insane. Once you get used to analogue stuff where there's one knob per function, it's really frustrating to have to hunt for the function you need. Maybe if the Elektron stuff had an iPad app to bring everything onto a touchscreen that'd work for me, at the moment I just feel I wouldn't use an Octatrack enough to warrant the price. I'm thinking more of the Social Entropy Engine sequencer with the CV output module, that would really do the job. Just they're all sold out right now and waiting for new stock to be built in the far east by Indonesian toddlers, probably.

Rytm guy here, it's not as bad as you're imagining. Very little hunting for the function you need. Maybe for the first couple hours, but after you get the hang of it it's very intuitive. It's got 8 knobs, and 6 buttons that jump to the different pages. If I'm tweaking a sound and I want to change the lfo, I just hit the lfo button and all the parameters are right there on the knobs. Hit the synth button and I'm on the page with all the synth parameters.

My first synth was a Juno G, and I absolutely hated all the menu diving that went along with adjusting the sounds. I was hesitant to get the Rytm expecting that type of menu diving, but it's really not like that at all. Of course, maybe you would hate it, but I think it's worth a little more research before you give up on it. Watch that cuckoo guys videos, very in depth and give a good picture of what actually working with one is like.

You haven't seen menu diving til you've owned a Novation Xio. Touch the wrong thing while you're editing and it changes patch, no warning. I nearly took a hammer to the fucking thing.

>That said, it could break in a few years, but so could other synths.
Behringer makes things cheaper by using shittier components. I'd take the Access Virus if I were you.

To be fair to Behringer, their quality has improved since they bought the factory that makes pots and faders for them. But yeah, my old Behringer mixer broke in about 18 months.

They also bought all the IP rights to the old Curtis CEM 3340 chips so they can clone loads of analogue gear that's out of copyright. Andthere's rumours of an ARP 2600 clone from them, that would sell like hot cakes at Behringer prices.

tfw too poor for hardware synths

enjoy your lifetime of poking your mouse pointer at a cracked Arturia VST

needs a bump

I own high end hardware analog synths and I can't be bothered straining to reach them so I just use Diva or Arturia synths

which high end analog synths do you own? we require photographic evidence

none really, I just can't afford a hardware synth so talking shit about them makes me feel better about myself

kek

You never know. You may strike lucky poking around a garage sale one day.

>tfw no waldorf wave

step aside bitch

So. Mother32. Is it worth it If I want to go modular? Or should i just buy a few modules and start from there?

Moog Mother is a single oscillator, see this post ...
But it does have one fuck of a good filter and a fiddly little sequencer. To get the same deal in Eurorack you're looking at three times the price, at the very least.

It looks great for simple Drones, if you're into that thing

Moog analog sytnh
>Moog oscillator
>Moog filter
>LFO
>sequencer
>multiple CV patch points
>MIDI to CV converter
>...
>simple drones
>simple
>drones

please tell me you're kidding

Sorry, meant to say dull Bernie Worrell and Tangerine Dream covers

My first synth was a SH-201. Not very glamorous, but definitely taught me a lot about creating patches and how synthesis works.

I now own a Yamaha DX7, Roland JX-8P, Novation Bass Station II, and a Casio CZ-1.

I have the SH-201 still and a Korg Poly-800 but I am probably going to sell them.

Jeez, you're still using a DX7?

I actually just bought it for $50.

Previous owner complained that no sound was coming out of it, so I opened it up to try to fix it. Turns out, both the battery and the relay have already been replaced, and the reason there was no sound was because their was an expansion chip installed which set the keyboard local control to off.

Also it makes great percussive sounds and some awesome electric pianos, bells, organs, clavs and even some good harpsichords.

Im slightly retarded. So please explain if you are implying its good or bad with your meme arrows?
all that sounds pretty good to me

all that is pretty good, I'm just amazed anyone would suggest a Mother32 is only good for "simple drones"

People are shit at figuring out what's wrong with their gear, especially digital stuff. I just bought my brother a Lexicon Omega interface for £15 ($18) because the seller didn't have a 9V 1300mA PSU for it. So that was another £5 it cost me.

I basically just buy "broken" synths, fix them, and then flip them for like 3 or 4 times what I pay for them.

Yeah, 9 times out of 10 it's a PSU fault. The rest of the time the seller just doesn't know how to switch it on or install a driver. A multimeter and a soldering iron and a bit of effort can pay dividends, especially in an age when people think that broken things cannot be repaired.

Tube amps are good to fix too, the standard fault is a blown HT fuse. If the tubes light up but no sound comes from the speaker, not even a switch on thump then buy the amp and change the fuse then stick it back on ebay.

Especially when synths with more than one oscillator are better for drones.

i've had a moog little phatty sitting in my closet for 8 years because it needs a new filter pot. Considering just trading it in towards something else at this point

I'll buy it/trade it with you

I played one last week at the store for about an hour.

It's cool, it's not incredible. Reminds me a lot of the Juno 106 I had but with more features. If you want one go for it, it's a solid synth.

If you're trying to get the best value for your money there are better options. For example a KingKorg or even a Roland FA 06 which has the entire SN engine in it along with the Acoustic emulations and workstation features.

If you want an analog knobby synth with a good sound and plenty to keep you jamming out late into the night - it's a great choice!