youtube.com/watch?v=JcVGDV67L-g
youtube.com/watch?v=o_rz1bluG_k
youtube.com/watch?v=JLUjMWRCzic
fictionpress.com/s/3206139/1/Keit-AI-Tomoyuki-x-Seiko-Keit愛-奉文-x-聖子
strawpoll.me/11059003
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

DELETE THIS

Very true.

We have overall about three days set in stone.

I've been planning to brace for impact in case we go over schedule (which is very likely)

I plan to do a little bit of fighting if that happens.

Much better user. Delete the other thread if you can.

>Jean-Claude Carrière
Acceptable
Not great, but acceptable

Who the hell is Jean-Claude Carriere

The edition is supposed to be a broad question normally relating to what people are working or just an idea question to generate discussion but this will do.

>Jean-Claude Carrière
Just bought Discreet Charm, haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

Do you understand the point of 'editions'? They're conversation starters. Who the hell wants to talk about Jean-Claude Carrière?

I don't think I've ever seen an edition start a conversation on any forum here.

Screenwriters and filmmakers fucking pleb

This was the last edition:

Where are you at and where are you going? Post your game plan edition.

Dozens of comments were posted about that exact thing.

The one before that was fledgling ideas and there were dozens of comments about that as well. You must not pay attention very well if you miss that.

This is about film production, not film review. We talk about how to make them here, not focus on one individual filmmaker.

How the fuck are you supposed to focus and work with clinical depression?

I'm getting worse everyday and struggle to think of anything else besides how much I want to die.

You may need to see a therapist user. Beyond that there are resources online for dealing with depression and you may need to focus on those before focusing on working.

I've had problems with this as well and started very small. I just made sure I went to sleep at a reasonable hour each night. That was my big accomplishment. After I'd done that for a little while, I added something else, like a small amount of work. For me that was watching some educational videos (I was working on learning programming at the time) maybe even just one. Just something so I could say "I accomplished something today" and that I did it each day along with going to sleep. Keep building small accomplishments and eventually you'll start to feel better.

If not, then you definitely need to see a doctor and get some medication. All the best user. I'm rooting for you!

I can't see a therapist or get medication, I'm 18, my family would find out.

making films should be the last of your concerns. if you're typing here you're probably not as depressed as you think you are. Sadness is essential for creation, depression is an obstacle.

Jesus Christ, go fuck yourself.

Good progress on my Larry Clark-esque script. I'm just waiting on feedback from my peers. It's came alone nicely and what I've got is a huge improvement over the first draft. I'd love to film it but don't know shit about directing right now but I know if I want my pilot looked at I need some decent work under my belt.

Why would it be bad if your family found out? They should want to help you user.

They would all treat me different, I mean, maybe I need to be treated differently but I don't want to be seen as some poor helpless baby, I'm already the youngest.
And my depression would constantly be used to invalidate me.

kek
There's some pretty basic stuff you can learn about directing in youtube videos.
some very basics:
coverage - get different angles
time - don't let time be a pressure, take your time, get it right.
crew and gear - don't use shit you don't need, keep the crew the smallest possible. It's easier to play in a rock band than to direct an orchestra.
money - don't spend any money on it.

fag, more than depression you have crippling narcissism.

I'm both anxious as fuck and eager to plan the shooting my film whenever the script is ready. I know it'll be hard work even though my script is more story and character driven as far as hiring people and shit. It's a strange feeling.

What makes you think they would use it to invalidate you? Being depressed doesn't make you a poor helpless baby, it just means that your brain chemistry is fucked up and you need something to correct.

No reasonable person thinks a diabetic is a poor helpless baby because their body's handling of insulin is fucked up and no one should think that about you either.

>No reasonable person thinks a diabetic is a poor helpless baby because their body's handling of insulin is fucked up
It's not the same, I don't know how to describe it, but there's a stigma when it comes to depression. People don't even consider it a real disease.
What you're saying should be true in theory, but it isn't. I don't want people asking me questions, I don't want to talk about it. Telling my mom would be especially bad because she's an actual therapist.

>>/r9k/

I'm sorry.

How do you better develop characters? My protagonists are gang members, but I've never met any gang members.

Make them after people you know even if they're not gang members. Films with gang members shouldn't be about the gang, you can make the film about friendship, professional challenges, romance or existential issues, whatever you want.

The movie isn't about the gang, but being in a gang is a significant part of the characters' lives.
>Make them after people you know even if they're not gang members.
I don't know anybody.

make it about a historical character
what if moses was a gangster, or any other character.

buñuel's screenwriter.

>make it about a historical character
That's actually a really interesting idea, but where do I even start looking at historical figures?
>what if moses was a gangster,
I want to be as accurate as I can to gang culture too.

We should make this movie into a reality.

A boy falls in love with a girl.

Unable to confess, he is gifted by a deus ex machina with the girl's phone number. Never minding the strange area code, he immediately calls her, and is overjoyed to find out that she has a crush on him as well.

But, the next day, when he recounts the previous day's confessions to the girl, she only looks at him with a perplexed expression. After some investigation, he finds out that the girl he called is not the same girl he fell in love with. In fact, she doesn't exist in this universe at all. She is the girl's alternate universe counterpart, who has fallen in love with the MC's own AU self, who too is blissfully unaware of her crush.

Hijinks ensue as the two strike up a deal to give each other their darkest, most private secrets in order to equip the other with the weapons they need to conquer the heart of their other selves. While the two chase their respective loved ones, DRAMA ensues as they begin to fall in love with each other instead and question the NATURE of LOVE.

OP: youtube.com/watch?v=ycfdfinG_P8
ED1: youtube.com/watch?v=hXDNGS9V4Us
ED2: youtube.com/watch?v=m4DyTjrruVo
PV: youtube.com/watch?v=JcVGDV67L-g
EP 1: youtube.com/watch?v=o_rz1bluG_k
EP 13: youtube.com/watch?v=JLUjMWRCzic

Brunuel is that surrealist guy right

Research

He was also a social realist, a melodramatist and top 3 greatest filmmaker of all time.

Nigga

FINDS

I haven't seen anything by him, I have a feeling I won't enjoy it that much.

Already a thing.

fictionpress.com/s/3206139/1/Keit-AI-Tomoyuki-x-Seiko-Keit愛-奉文-x-聖子

bump

How do I get into film making without knowing anyone? I've recently moved to Melbourne and have a history of doing post-sound and a bit of on set recording. Back home I had contacts due to University, but I'm unsure of how to find similar minded people. I need someone to basically let me shadow them on set or someone whos willing to co-direct some shit shorts.

Convert to Judaism. If you're brown or dark-white you can say you're from Israel.

not funny
cunt

kill yourself

I wasn't trying to be funny.

bummo

who /rebelwithoutacrew/ here?

you gotta make your films and send them to film festivals, there you'll meet other filmmakers and become their friend.
you can also find out who is shooting a film near you and offer to help, you might learn something and make more filmmaker friends.
filmmaking is a collaborative effort, you need to know people that want to make films to make them.

Me, but I heard from one of these threads that's it's not worth making anything without a crew.

But how can I make films if I have zero contacts? Surely you need at least 2-3 people without including actors to make anything of substance.

don't pay attention to the losers that will never shoot a film. anything is worth making if you want to make it.
Use your mom and your brothers and anybody. Projects of any kind get people excited because nobody ever does anything.

I'm looking to build a PC for making some short films and post production sound. I have about $1000 AUD, anyone know what sort of specs I need?

planning vs. writing

strawpoll.me/11059003

That's stupid. It's like you can't have a good combination of both. You plan out some stuff and write and see if your plan worked out. You gotta do both.

I've seen a lot of people arguing about it these past few threads.

when you're going to an unknown place
do you have to debate wether you should
just drive
or read the map
?

I am

Anyone else doing the screenplay --> novel --> self-publishing --> movie deal --> have someone else write screenplay --> story credit

path?

If you're 18 you don't have to tell any of them. You're legally protected for the doctors telling tbem if that's what you're worried about. Your fears about your family sound exactly like something someone with depression would thinm in the first place. If your family are pieces of shit then getting out of their house would have to be a start. Go to therapy in private.

Screenplay -> Novel is a big leap. Like a short story would be the same amount of content of a script.

VCA crewing nights.
There's a assload of facebook groups, I think one is called "Melbourne Creative Network".
You can hand out flyers to RMIT and VCA and Swinburne, they all have reputable film schools but be prepared to .

That's if you want to just get a footing
For actual work it's a lot harder, go through the ENCORE catalog, call up some sound dudes and ask if they need a assistant. They may not need one now, but if they are on a bigger set they'll probably need the extra help.

That's really all I can suggest.

I always wonder how he managed to make nearly 40 fucking films and then remember

>Fassbinder was consuming vast quantaties of drugs and alcohol to sustain his unrelenting work schedule. He died at 37 from a cocaine and barbiturate overdose.

Oh right.

I was thinking of going to a meetup I found called 'Melbourne Amateur Filmmakers'. I'll give those things you suggested a look though, I appreciate your help brother.

I shot a short film while I spent like 3 days in Prague on my fucking smartphone. Post-Dubbed everything, which was fine since there was no synch-dialogue.
Just make something.

Worth it.

can we see it?

No problem,if I think of anything else I'll hop back in this thread.
But it's hard, I'm planning in moving to Europe in the next 24 months because the Melbourne/Australian film industry is so small and I'm not interested in doing TV Commercials or Content Marketing past the age of 30.

Was about to do a polish of it now, might upload it to Vimeo in the next couple of days.

Actually while we're here.
I have a feature length film which I've nearly finished shooting, micro-budget.
Anyone have any experience promoting a project like this?
I'm not expecting to sell it to international agents.
Although getting it into international festivals would be nice,
I'm just more concerned with announcing myself to the world as a filmmaking.
Ya know, a "calling card".

Excuse me?

That was my plan, but there's no guarantee you'll get a movie deal.
My plan now is Screenplay ------> Blacklist or Screenwriting Contest.
Hopefully I'll get to direct the movie, that's what I want to do the most.

>You're legally protected for the doctors telling tbem if that's what you're worried about.
Really? But what can the doctor do? My mom would still need to pay for any medication he could prescribe.
>If your family are pieces of shit then getting out of their house would have to be a start.
Can't find a job at all, and I don't want to go to college.
>Go to therapy in private.
Do I need to go to therapy to receive medication? I really rather not talk to anybody, besides, I can't drive or afford anything.

>Just make something.
But I don't want to make something shitty.
I should start somewhere, but all I have is an iPhone 5 and no friends.
I'm not even capable of thinking up low-budget ideas.

>But I don't want to make something shitty.

That's a learning curve every one who does something creative has to go through. Get past it as soon as possible.

I guess you're right. Still have no friends and no ideas though.

Don't do it then. Try music instead. You can use software and collaborate online.

This.

It's that Malcolm Gladwell 10,000 hours thing.
>Although 10,000 hours doesn't gaurentee it, but if you hit 10,000 hours and you're still shit, you'll always be shit
I think it was Chuck Jones who said that you need to draw 50,000 drawings before you get good

Stanley Kubrick made two stinky stonkers of films before he made 'The Killing'.
He spent 100,000 dollars fucking up. And that was in mid-1950's dollars!

Ideas are easy, here's a tropfest formula I thought up just now
>One shot
>Guy locked out of house, trying to apologize to his roommate, so he can be let back in
>Dialogue suggests it's because he cheated with roomate's girlfriend, but then we realize it's something banal like he ate his icecream without permission.
>Door opens, they hug.
>"By the way I fucked your girlfriend"

Wait, here's what Chuck said
>Every artist has thousands of bad drawings in them and the only way to get rid of them is to draw them out

I can't produce either, I've wanted to for years, but everytime I download a program I get intimidated very quickly and uninstall it.

That sounds like a horrible idea.

good idea actually, thats similar to what 90 of top youtube shorters make.
why arent you producing this shit?

mind if i steal?

I'm getting a lot of "no I can't" "no I won't"
>To finish first, First you must finish

I'd be flattered. Like I said, ideas are easy

easy for you. not everyones the same bro!

Jesus, talk to your parents. Just explain how you feel, you sound like you really need help

I didn't say it was easy I've spent two years without a social life working on a 80- minute feature. I've lost countless friends through non-contact. I'm pretty sure I'm losing hair. I've had a relationship fall apart!

And I know this is only a small stepping stone on a thousand mile journey towards my goal. I accept that I won't be a famous director or anything, but I will not be able to look at myself in the mirror if I didn't at least try.
Plus now, I know that I have the fortitude and the wherewithal to deal with a long project like this

Now what was that you were saying about it's easy for me?

>I'd be flattered. Like I said, ideas are easy
>I didn't say it was easy

Ideas are easy.
Doing it is difficult.

You are literally looking for excuses. If you put the effort your spending in trying to poke holes into my arguments into mastering your craft, you'd be a lot happier and better at what you want to do.

So how about stop arguing against someone who's encouraging you to have a go, and get a microphone, or iPhone or whatever, go out, and film something.
Even if it's a fucking bird in a tree. Turn it into a fake attenborough doc.
Shoot the sunlight-light glistening off the road, make something poetical.

Stop saying "No" to yourself.

give me an idea that I can shoot with only me as the actor, that isn't going to be shit as I dont like to make anything less than amazing and I'll go do it tomorrow and become famous.

I'm not even the guy you responded to originally, but you said
>Now what was that you were saying about it's easy for me?
and you said pretty much that, he was probably saying coming up with ideas are hard for him

Ideas ARE easy. If you are so bereft of creativity that you can't think of one, then steal one. There's 120 years of motion pictures, and thousands of years of literature to steal from.
Somewhere in there there's a simple concept that doesn't require a lot of resources to execute like a silent comedy about fumbling with a barber's chair, or a swinging gate that seems to have a mind of it's own.
Maybe it's a monologue in one shot, cut to find out they're talking to a grave... not wait it's a comedy, they're talking to a peach... a fucking peach! Now it makes sense.
Maybe it's two people in a doctor's waiting room, slowly shuffling their chairs towards the door, so they'll be first in line.

IDEAS ARE EASY!

It's alright, I'll be okay, telling someone isn't worth it.
My cousin knows. He's the only one I have added on my private Facebook, but I've been blocking him from my posts for months and he hasn't said anything. I just need to hope he never does or notices that he hasn't seen my posts, he's kind of a dumbass, doesn't get the whole "private" thing.

Dude, it can be anything. Don't even worry about having a great high concept idea. You just have to start producing shit.

All you need it conflict. It doesn't matter how. Say you're hungry. There's a story in there.

Wake-up. Hungry. Go to kichen. Bread drawer. Empty. Odd, you think, I just went to the store. You check the fridge. Empty. Cupboards. Empty. Dishwasher. Empty. You go to the front door.

Locked.

There's your set up. Hungry and mysteriously locked in your house.. From there you can brainstorm. The thing is, just take the TIME to brainstorm. Take the time to think of stupid ideas. After 100 (literally go write down 100), pick out the best.

Where can I upload highres photos for a lookbook? Tumblr is shit.

I've been using imgur but too would appreciate better suggestions

Same user you replied to, all I found is ImageShack, but it's not unlimited and a lot of my pictures aren't uploading.
I gotta get some sleep, wanna try ImgBox for me?

bump

I have these notes some user shared a few months back, but I only have 4 pages. Not sure if it's complete.

1/4

2/4

3/4

4/4