Best MMO of all time. WoWfags are just casuals parading around in big shoulder pads

Best MMO of all time. WoWfags are just casuals parading around in big shoulder pads.

Runescape 2011 when free trade/wildy was added back and HD graphics. (old combat system).

congrats. which one has more players now?

never heard of it. not interested in wow clones anyway

i loved everquest. played it for so long. great RPG

I was a wood elf warrior for way too long. I was a kid. Met a hot ass 20 yo model who ended up going to prom with me tho.

This is bait

Played a human pally on live, a half elf druid on al'kabor and now an erudite necro on p99. I'm not going to list all the Alta but sometimes it does make me feel like a loser for playing this game for 18 years.

>best MMO
>not Club Penguin
OP is either a faggot or a troll

Pandemonium, Tallon zek server 4 lyfe

asherons call > everquest

Didn't a new ac emulated server start up recently? I thought about checking it out but eq takes up so much time already.

yea its still in its infancy tho. the community is having to rebuild everything from the ground up basically.

So not worth taking time off grinding seafurries to think out my monk then? Gotta get that fungi.

City of Heroes is the GOAT

Ragnarok Online

SWG

best cosmetic customization by a billion miles, horrible map and encounter design, very interesting skill and power design.

But the generic encounters, quests, and 'dungeons' just killed the game.

Think = twink

And no superhero MMORPGs to speak of. Champs is a pretender, and DC Online is a limited console-design that was never much fun at the best of times.

EQ and WoW are really just the same damn game. Ultima Online, EVE and some others are/were more interesting, though WoW and EQ aren't bad either in their own regard.

this. If you didnt have that penguin piffting you might aswell not be on the internet

EQ1 is indeed the best MMORPG of all time, but it's not even a shadow of its former self anymore. SOE/Daybreak are experts at ruining everything they touch. EQ1 had a solid foundation, so at least it took them longer to completely fuck up unlike EQ2 and their other now-defunct MMOs.

I miss EQ, but you can't go home again. There are no good MMORPGs at all imo. They're all pandering to the people that want instant gratification, so meaningful interaction with other players is minimized, and content is generally simplified and made easier. There was a lot of depth in EQ. I can't say the same about other MMOs. The era of great MMOs has ended. The era of low effort freemium mobile-compatible games had arrived.

Graal, come at me

P99
Shit's classic yo

I really enjoy everquest. Anymore I do progression servers, the newest one out is locked at PoP indefinitely I believe because after that expansion is when they started really losing subscriptions. It's been out for a really long time though, and some people just can't handle outdated graphics. But the gameplay itself is pretty solid and addicting.
I played ever quest online adventures too while it was a thing, up until it got canceled by SoE.

Glad to know other people still enjoy this game as well.

If you guys like EQ pvp you should check out this server. It goes on seasons, we're on season 3 right now. You can easily catch up. Www.eqpvp.com

I've played a lot of MMOs, and honestly the best one I ever played was WildStar. I still don't know why this game got shit on by so many people.

World of Warcraft is STILL the #1 MMORPG, and by a long fucking shot too. There's always something to do in WoW, cause the game is active af. So many different guilds to choose from. Also or PVP gameplay is uncontested.

Every other MMORPG pretty much tries to be like WoW. But none come close.

probably the most uninteresting mmo i ever played along with rift

I've seen YouTube videos of people making a brand new character and within six or seven minutes be top level all without even leaving the newbie area. No thanks, that doesn't sound very exciting or challenging to me as it shows you can basically negate 98% of content if you desire.

These games are massively multiplayer, but strangely are rather lame single-player games in practice.

EQ when it first came out was more like mini-raid design, where you needed a "full" group of 6 to tackle simple yard trash.

Now, "if I can't solo", people don't want to play. But what they really need is an easy way to group. This means easy group finding for an area as well as sharing of missions (fuck the mission chain problem, just let people join mid-chain) and sidekicking, where you can fight higher level stuff, artificially kicked up, but gain xp at your real level's rate.

Warcraft still suffers from the mission chain problem, and Tera Online really, really suffered from it. If two people weren't adventuring together when going to a new area, forget it. You were locked out of the entire chain of the other guy because he was 2 missions ahead. And nobody wants to back up and re-run them with you.

City of Heroes allowed all this, easy sharing, no mission chain problems (aside from raids or Task Forces, which were actually multi-mission chains) and sidekicking.

Some one just invites you for normal play, sidekicks you, shares the mission, and off you go. Who cares (designers certainly shouldn't!) if you skip some content.

I've yet to see some designer not eat crow when their entire "thou shall not skip content" is thrown in the garbage in later years as accelerated leveling is tossed out to tempt people to continue playing.

Sry but its probably this one

I admit I haven't given p99 a shot yet. Wanted to before my computer broke.

See, I don't get this. It's the most entertaining to me, and it had a clear storyline that drives everything. I couldn't get into the WoW storyline and most other games hardly even have one.

It has an innovative and easy to use combat system. It has a sense of humor that is actually funny sometimes.

What about it is uninteresting to you?

It was going in the fast "action" direction, with ever-faster quick-response times in your activities. Having big red circles and regions to quickly respond to, to jump and dodge around, was interesting...and the wrong direction IMO.

The games continue down this direction, dying, and no designer seems to be able to crack out of it back the other way.

Started Evercrack in late Beta. Played for one year then got tired of them screwing around with character attributes. Moved on, but I can still remember how to get from place to place.

Aka ever crack, it was so addicting.

The first Planetside.

You cannot skip any of the game content on actual Blizzard retail servers.

What you saw on YouTube were private game developers or beta testers fucking around. That's not real WoW.

>What about it is uninteresting to you?
a better question to ask would have been, "what about it WAS interesting to you", the answer to which would be: nothing. its just bland, the story, the streamlined leveling experience, the trying-too-hard-to-be-different combat, the world, the graphics, everything

This is exactly what I like about it. Most other MMOs only require that you look somewhere near the direction of he enemy for your attacks to hit. I like how you have to aim your attacks, and how you have to pay constant attention to your positioning. It helps the whole thing feel fluid and dynamic. That's a big plus IMO that not enough other MMOs even care about.

Way to go cherry-picking those videoes to prove your shitty point tard

I only started playing in there over the last couple of years but I remember it coming online when I was playing on al'kabor (eqmac) so that had to be 7 or 8 years ago.

It's stuck in perpetual velious but it's as classic as possible. Good or bad it follows the classic rule set at velious exactly.

Uh, the combat in Wildstar, I felt, was just the exact same system as WoW uses, but most spells were cone-types (like WoW's mage spell Cone of Cold.) It just didn't make it any more fun.
Some very different combat systems that I think are interesting would be Asheron's Call's system as well as that of Darkfall Online. I'm actually thinking of hopping back to Darkfall on Rise of Agon since they released. Its like Quake in a fantasy setting.

superior game with superioor failure coming through

Some of the most fun in classic EQ was that you sometimes had to make the best of it with less than ideal groups. There was very little in the way of fast travel. Stuff wasn't instanced. You could just pick up and join with people you happen to see out and about.

Instancing everything means everything has to be tuned to ideal group setups for the content that's actually desirable. And reliance on RNG seems far worse. Getting an item worth having from group content means running an instance hundreds of times hoping the imaginary dice both favor you and that you win the loot rolling against four people you've never met before, and hope never you group with again. And now that SOE/Daybreak actually condones botting, the economy is so out of whack you don't stand much chance of buying the gear you want unless you buy platinum or bot yourself.

Some of the most fun I had in any MMO, was when I was exploring, found some people and joined their rag tag group. I had the benefit of playing on Firiona Vie in EQ, so there were other things I loved about that game, like being able to get, and give, hand-me-down gear. Met some amazing people in that server.

Reminder that boxing is banned on p99

Ragnarok Online was the best MMORPG ever. It looks dated right now, but there's still no MMORPG like it.

With button queueing, you can strategize a few seconds into the future, which is a hell of a lot more fun to me.

By requiring me to analyze and respond to new things second-to-second, I feel this is going the wrong direction. After two dozen MMOs, it's getting pretty tired. I want deeper thought, not idiot furious response, thanks game designers.

RuneScape is by far the best MMORPG FYI

I remember a few weeks after release, being a level 12 ogre in Oasis of Marr, seeing an impossibly high level group in their low 20s come chugging down the sands en route to who knows where, maybe those specters on that island guarding a portal, their ogre clad in glorious bronze armor, what gods!

I don't mind having need-or-greed rolling, or even custom drops just for you in a group. This is a better solution than grinding the same boss over and over because he only drops the good thing 1 in 5 times and everybody has to roll on it anyway.

(And one time, "the (pickup) group" decided they were gonna sell the thing on the AH and split the cash, instead of rolling on it to distribute, even though some of us could use it. It was then that I was done with that shit design of distribution.)

Every other answer is wrong.

Ashron's Call was better... I'd give EQ #2 spot.

Vanilla WoW, TBC, and WLK.....anything after CAT is "catering to the casual".

Blame Canada, er, Consoles, for power choice-reduced options and button mashing design.

I love Wildstar. Most MMOs have shitty combat but wildstar is actually fum. I'm gonna download it right now

holy fuck check this
>i̶f̶u̶c̶k̶t̶o̶n̶i̶g̶h̶t̶.c̶o̶m̶

Me, too!

Waiiiiit. Are you from their company?

Just play a TLP server (although it requires a monthly subscription). It's hasn't even released the Kunark xpac yet on nearly released one and 100 people are running around in Crushbone ect. You get maps and non-shit tier graphics.

no, just a random dude looking for a fun game to kill time

Most fun I've had playing any multiplayer game.

Always wanted to get into EVE but it seems like more of a timesink than any other MMO out there.

its not the same in any sense

FUCK you say about big shoulderpads kid?

I like the classic experience. I played eq in 99 and the farthest I ever got was PoP in eqmac and only got to velious on live.

ignore this & go to
>JғucktoɴJGHt.com

Yeah I tried the first TLP servers on both EQ, and EQ2. They missed the point. They don't revert to the mechanics that were in play at that time and include a fair amount of gear that wasn't available at the time.

Then you have the problem of each TLP server operating as a race through the content, and in EQ you have a bunch of asshole guilds that won't agree to a raid rotation.

It's a nice idea, but the execution was poor.

I don't think this is a stuff that never happened thread