Who is the Jimi Hendrix of our generation?

Who is the Jimi Hendrix of our generation?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eWazjfBJv-s
youtube.com/watch?v=PEBqZBW_Reg
youtube.com/watch?v=YCvpVnMAVPs
youtube.com/watch?v=DXafRKe9klA&index=28&list=LL_QBEPKiOj6Dm6CQ1oaQ9kw
youtube.com/watch?v=KC5H9P4F5Uk
youtube.com/watch?v=JP8Eo24rNm8
youtube.com/watch?v=i6G53BMgugo
youtube.com/watch?v=ru_mlNYjBOU
youtube.com/watch?v=D07XPi8hiiM
youtube.com/watch?v=dpmAY059TTY&feature=youtu.be&t=485
youtu.be/fBmABxBcSGw?t=3m59s
youtube.com/watch?v=s9sMTTd802k
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Grimes

no one

future

John Frusciante

Me

John Frusciante
John Mayer?

Aphex Twin

Probably, but he musically expresses himself a lot differently from hendrix even if he plays guitar similar to him.

Can we please end the John Fruciante is a good guitar player meme?

But he's good

Gary Clark Jr

St. Vincent

Anthony Kiedis ruined every song Frusciante made with rhcp. JUST

No he isn't. His technique is ultra sloppy and his phrasing is very, very poorly articulated.

Eric gales

just like hendrix

Haven't liked Muse in a while but Matt Bellamy is pretty sick on guitar. Fairly inventive as well, both live and in the studio.

gary clark

T H O T

skrillex

Lil Wayne

Tosin Abasi

Hendrix had MUCH better phrasing. Granted it wasn't outstanding but it was at least coherent.

Nah senpai too many strings

He's good

He's amazing

adds to his unique style with the thumb action

>amazing

That's his style. He likes to mute the strings on purpose. Actually sounds a lot more like Zappa than Hendrix at times.

He's too robotic.

That's not even what I'm talking about.

Mateus fuckin' Asato

youtube.com/watch?v=eWazjfBJv-s

youtube.com/watch?v=PEBqZBW_Reg

youtube.com/watch?v=YCvpVnMAVPs

I guess you could say that.
youtube.com/watch?v=DXafRKe9klA&index=28&list=LL_QBEPKiOj6Dm6CQ1oaQ9kw

probably some kid in south america

His phrasing is good though. Sometimes he repeats notes too much but that's his style.

Prince

he's not cool tho

daily reminder jimi hendrix sucks ass

youtube.com/watch?v=KC5H9P4F5Uk

true, but he's prolly the most talented guitarist of this generation

tfw devo kill jimi on his own track

youtube.com/watch?v=JP8Eo24rNm8

ronald

there isnt any. the guitar is a dead and irrelevant "instrument'

this unfortunately

but it's nice to listen to music made when guitar composition was at its peak

you're both retarded
it's neither dead or irrelevant, it's simply not as popular as synth
when the guitar was at its peak, the piano wasn't dead or irrelevant either
by all means keep missing out on contemporary talent

it was supposed to be J dilla when he was getting experimental on them intricate samples but dies short after

Yeah this thread is full of real talented guitarists.

I still think Little Wing is one of the best songs ever made, shreddy jazz wankers will never touch it

Not full of, but there's one or two.

yeah, Eric Gales, Tosin Abasi, Gary Clark Jr and Mateus Asato aren't talented, right?

fuck off

Definitely one of Jimi's better works.

you were saying

youtube.com/watch?v=i6G53BMgugo

It's actually this. Jimi is the GOAT so I assume OP means who is the GOAT of our generation/lifetime. It's unquestionably Frusciante. I don't care what you guys think about the Pepper's catalog, Frusciante is 'The Guy.' If I ever have kids and they want to know who was the best guitarist, who was most creative, who could write songs for days, it's him.

You're literally retarded.

this desu

The perfect cover
youtube.com/watch?v=ru_mlNYjBOU

Wow dude you really hurt me right in my pride. How ever will I recover from this acerbic jab from an anonymous member of a Buthanese macrame forum. I'm actually pissed I'm going to go up to my room and smash my fists into my pillows, imagining those pillows to be your smelly poo-poo face. I hate you I hate you I hate you!!!!!

desperation, ladies and gentlemen

I have to at least try to help you. I can't control how you react to the truth.

this entire thread reeeeeks of autism.

such a thing could never again exist, let alone during this fucking generation of music

good post, not autistic at all

le reddit man :)

Spaghetti

He is. Whether or not you want to give muse any credit, matt bellamy is creative with his guitar effects and his phrasing is tasteful

>Ctrl. F -- "Jack White"
>0 results
Embarrassing.

Probably not the best of your generation but Ben Levin from bent Knee is great!

youtube.com/watch?v=D07XPi8hiiM

I'm not a Muse fan exactly, but I do enjoy his phrasing as a guitarist.

Don't get me wrong, user, he's above average, but nothing amazing.

John Frusciante
Omar Rodriguez-Lopez

He might not be a great guitar player but he's an amazing songwriter.

Buckethead or Kawabata

>John Mayer
Nice trips though

Maybe not of this generation but in terms of redefining the instrument's sound

John Mayer is one of the better players posted in this thread so far.

Mayer is an excellent guitarist, but I don't think anyone would put him forth as this generation's Hendrix, even though he's influential due to the celebrities he fucked, inspiring a generation of (literal) wankers.

the only correct answer

youtube.com/watch?v=dpmAY059TTY&feature=youtu.be&t=485

are you 45?

Fair. I was actually going to include the incomparable to Hendrix part but said fuck it instead and posted half a thought.

You can't deny Mayer's greatness and the fact he was massively popular in the mainstream keeping rock and roll alive on the charts. That's why people rate Mayer and Frusciante, because that's literally the last time rock music was box office. They were true rock stars and had hits for days.

Continuum is a great album by the way I'd give it a listen-through.

I'm not denying it, I'm saying it isn't on par with Hendrix's. Technically, he's much better.

I prefer Try! with the Trio, though.

He did nothing for Rock'n'Roll, though. Blues, yeah.

Yeah but Hendrix was a revolutionary. That's the main staple behind him. Van Halen arguably changed the game the most after him as far as rock guitar went. Other than that you have people utilizing neat things that distinguish them amongst the hoard of mediocrity we have in music today, but nobody changed the rock guitar game as much as Hendrix.

Oh don't get me wrong, I don't rate him near Hendrix. The thing about OP's premise though is that rock music isn't nearly as culturally important in our lifetimes as it was during Jimi's, so no one would be nearly as popular, great, or creative. Jimi did it first and he did it 50 years ago. No one is our generation's Jimi Hendrix. Instead we have Mayer and Frusciante.
>I prefer Try! with the Trio, though.
That's respectable.

Mayer is a Berklee faggot though
Also, his music is all uninspired shit and his personality is that of a spoilt trust fund spastic.

John Frusciante comes closest, in my opinion.
RHCP are garbage but he's a great guitarist with his own recognisable style.

Mayer has very inspired playing, Frusciante does not.

You've got that backwards m80

rhcp's bass and drums are very good, user, even though the songs are prostitutes

Anyone else astounded that Frusciante survived the 90s? I thought at least 1 Pepper would die

Not at all.
Mayer is probably the better musician in terms of technical ability, but Frusciante's style and output is better, in my opinion. I mean, John Mayer's creative output is garbage in comparison. No one listens to that shit except teenage girls who want to fuck him.

Flea is a decent bassist.

They already did before John joined, you pleb.
Also, in 95 he was close to death.

Mayer's actual commercial output is indeed garbage, but his potential is much greater than Fruaciante's. Mayer actually understands music whereas Frusciante just kind of guesses.

Mick and Danish Pete.

youtu.be/fBmABxBcSGw?t=3m59s

>They already did before John joined, you pleb.
I know this... did you read my post? I said the 90s. I'm referring to the classic RHCP line-up from Mother's Milk and Onward. The famous one. I'm surprised one of them didn't die then.

Nah, Frusciante knows theory and shit, you're just ignorant.

Mayer's window has closed. He's not in his peak anymore. He collects watches and does other pleb shit now.

He never had the passion to be a great musician that put out great music anyway, more a career move for him.

I need to listen to more of his solo stuff. I love Niandra Lades and I LOVE Smile from the Streets You Hold, but that's as far as I got. What else is worth a look?

They are playing John Mayer at 4:02

You all lose

Pic related. It's my fucking Strat, enjoy plebz

pbx and enclosure are generally seen by hardcore fans to be amazing, but they can be harsh listens if you're not used to what they offer.

Eric Johnson

footage is Trail Of Tears on Austin City Limits (where SRV did his best show ever but it was pulled from Youtube)

youtube.com/watch?v=s9sMTTd802k