I noticed something about Mother of the World

That primitive riff at the beginning of the track repeats endlessly and is somewhat monotonous for a reason. The song is about our existence, and how it's all been achieved through endless creation and replication. How were we all created? Sex obviously, a.k.a. the old in-out-in-out, and one day I realized the riff is actually really similar to the act of sex. There's only two notes which repeat endlessly in a violent groove, just like the thrusting in and thrusting out of a penis during intercourse.

Then I thought, maybe the reason the intro is so long is because it's meant to represent the human race's entire lifespan. When you go back, our only purpose from the start was simply to survive, reproduce, and then protect our offspring so that they could repeat the process of surviving and reproducing as well. Now think about how long we have been doing this. Think about how we're still doing it today, simply trying to stabilize our lives as best we can so we can settle down and repeat the cycle all over again. It's been our sole biological purpose since the beginning and we're going to keep doing it until the day we're destroyed, either by ourselves or by something else. If the Seer, the character the album created, is an all-seeing all-knowing spectator of all that has ever happened and will happen in the universe, it probably sees our existence as very petty, tedious and dull compared to whatever is happening in all the other galaxies. We've spent this long of a time existing, fighting all of these wars and colonizing all of this land, and for what? Just to go in and out and in and out again. That's what the long and hypnotizing intro of Mother of the World represents.

I don't mean to seem like an edgy nihilistic kid. The Seer just sounds like a very nihilistic album to me and when I realized this is probably what Gira intended it blew my mind. The dude's a genius.

youtube.com/watch?v=eVD3JzUtQYA

Other urls found in this thread:

theawl.com/the-wheel-and-the-knife-22f0eeae2663
twitter.com/AnonBabble

As life currently exists, it's a process of growing then dying, we'd have to completely change the functionality of humanity to achieve immortality, even ending aging would put us at a certain "Point" in our development. Developing a reverse aging process is out of my mind I've personally come to terms with dying, and don't worry about it. Thing about this sort of stuff, is at this point it's entirely science fiction. Just because something is scientifically possible, doesn't mean it will happen. Doesn't mean it won't either.

Like HG wells wrote about "The invisible man" in the 1800s when chemistry was in vogue as this amazing thing that can change life as we know it, and our invisibility technology is far even today from his ideal.

In honesty, this may not even be possible. Maybe inherent in the process of complex life is death, that's a real possibility.

I'm not really afraid to die either or think that life is inherently meaningless. Immortality would be cool but it doesn't keep me up at night. Despite how depressing my post was I don't actually have that attitude about humanity, I just think the Seer is a great album lol

My ultimate fear is a universe that dies infinitely. One that goes to heat death then nothing at all happens. I have a theory though, that if the process that initiated the big bang was caused by some unkown mechanism, then there must be some unkown mechanism that creates universes we don't fully understand.

Albert Einstein was chasing a "Comprehensive theory of everything". Maybe, there's a certain formula, mechanism humans can create, to make universes, or maybe the entirety of existence runs on some sort of understandable mechanism that we've yet to fully understand.

Or maybe, the mechanism, if it does exist, is completely unknowable and or outside of human control.

That's something that really freaks me out as well, the universe just being gone forever. I just can't comprehend it, like it can't be possible. Something has to happen at some point, right? I like that theory too of the big bang just happening over again but it doesn't seem like there's a way to prove it sadly, at least not right now.

cringiest thing i've read all month

Lad you could have used a lot less words. I agree with you, but this is cringe.

Give. Him a break he's high

you really expect me to read your fucking term paper on Sup Forumscore garbage

When you're listening to Swans, just remember that they're not like other bands. Their music is incredibly artistic, almost to the point where you have to be paying complete attention to them to even remotely understand them. I remember listening to a song on Soundtracks for the Blind (though I can't remember what it was), where I thought a song was absolute bollocks during the listen. Then, I closed my eyes for a second, and all of a sudden the song had an entirely new meaning. It was insane the way Swans could just become something so different when you take a look into the music.

Another thing you should note about Swans is that it's easy to get a headache listening to them. Not because they're a bad band, but because of how many ideas their music is riddled with and how complex they are. Soon enough your head will fill to the brim and the rest will just sound like noise to you. Just turn it off and give it a listen the next day.

If you don't like the music, you'll definitely at least enjoy reading through the lyrics, and picking apart the song itself and all of the artistic values that go into making it the complexity that it is.

This is why I hate Sup Forums. The world is ending, savage, disgusting inbred Somalians and Arabs are raping women and children, and people are writing pretentious shit about bullshit "artists" like Gira because he's indisputably the shit by any hipster album reviewer's account. Seriously we need to just shut down all art from leftists immediately and fucking put people to work so they don't spend their time doing frivolous shit like this. You should be building the wall to keep out Squatamalans and other Mestizos for your daily bread instead of listening to hipster trash in mommy and daddy's house. Wake up, fool, the world is ending.

Oh yeah, and that post was cringe af.

It's like that one album that always gets spammed here, close to the edge.

Here's some advice about mountains, never stand close to the edge, hypothetically, you have a much higher chance of falling.

Their music is Magical.

It took me a long time to get into and understand what all the admiration was about, but after I've finally broken into it...it's like their music is on an entirely different level. I started out on To Be Kind, I listened to it once, didn't get much out of it. Then I saw Frakenstein Chronicles, and the director Benjamin Ross uses the song "Screen Shot" to perfect effect in the trailer of the show, and it just haunted me. I listened to To Be Kind again and it's like every time I listened to it, it eerily got better and better and became one of my favorite albums in a very short period of time.

Next I listened to The Seer. Once again, didn't think much of it. Seemed like Swans was just experimental and overrated. Then listened to it again the next day... and it's like something unlocked in my mind overnight. The album was brilliant, amazing, and beautiful. It continued to get bigger and more incredible the more I listened to it. I've probably listened to it 50 times since then.

Yesterday, listened to Children of God. Remember feeling disappointed that it was no The Seer. Listened again today, and it's brilliant, haunting, and marvelous. Swans does something I've never heard before; It's like they're playing with the very properties of music to set up something you can't understand at first, then blow your mind with a musical idea that couldn't have been understood or expressed in just a few playthroughs. Their music engages you on a spiritual level and shows you things you didn't know existed. If you don't like Swans, it's not because they're "overrated" or not as good as you've heard, it's because you haven't been enlightened. The best way to listen to them is to accept that the music is excellent and you're in good hands musically. If you try to judge it like you do most music, it will prevent you from understanding.

In essence they're just trying to ensure their own survival. My ultimate goal is for humanity to prevent heat-death if at all possible.

>Reee he posted 2 thoughtful paragraphs on an image board that took him only a few minutes to type up, he must be a complete degenerate who contributes nothing to the world! I'm obviously better than him even though I'm wasting time on the same basket weaving forum this very moment!
Is this bait? At least save your rage for shitposts, buddy

I'm glad this thread popped up. I learned a few months ago that The Apostate is actually an allusion to one, possibly two radical Russian sects of Christianity from the 16th century.

The Khlysts were apostates. They rejected the orthodoxy church and its authority, their leader claiming to be God, and claiming a child his reincarnated Jesus. The song's lyrics are about exactly this. The rejection of God and struggle of removing beliefs you have had ingrained in you your entire life.

However, the reason Gira really wrote this song is because of their philosophy, which he shares. The Klyshts believed music was a powerful force, and believed in the concept of the concious pursuit of ecstacy and transcendence through movement and music.

Here's an excerpt from a piece on the Klyshts

"...the Khlysts sought God in dance. In ones or twos, they spun like dervishes, twirling until the candles in the hut blew out and they collapsed exhausted, drenched in sweat. Sometimes they would gather together in larger numbers for ‘ship,’ or ‘round,’ dance in a ring around a vat of water. As they danced, the Khlysts spun in a circle and flagellated themselves. Suddenly, a whirl would appear in the water, a sign that the Holy Spirit had appeared. Sometimes the water would boil and bubble, and the baby Jesus would appear in the steam. Then the Khlysts would take the water home and consume it, getting “drunk” on what they called “spiritual beer.”"

As aforementioned, music was one of the pillars of the Klyshts. Where it really occurred to me was seeing that Gira actually lifts some of the lyrics to the Apostate from a Klysht saying - “A song (pesenka) is a ladder (lesenka) to God.”

If you're interested you can read more here. There's more analysis to be done, proofreading, you could easily write an essay, and I love Swans, but I don't listen to them too often. You seem enthuastic enough.

theawl.com/the-wheel-and-the-knife-22f0eeae2663

>18 replies
>8 individual posters
Oh boy

Thanks user, maybe I'll look into that

itt musiclets

Heyy!!!!! :( I'm stronk!!! :(

screw u guais, I'm going home

Yes.

lmao