How smart are you, Sup Forums?

How smart are you, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/arrant
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Took me milliseconds to find it.

IQ over 9000

You're definitely not smart, needing to make a copy of the image just in case you lose it.

Between 1-70 degrees.

bump. solving

must be retarded, can't find it.

Look harder man, it's right there

Either I'm retarded cause I haven't done geometry in years, or there's not enough information to solve the problem

i have the same

p sure it's a troll image

shit looks 30*ish

40 degrees right?

the top triangle with the x init is isosceles

Assuming image isn't drawn to scale, you can't know. Any two angles will work as long as they have a sum of 110°.

sin = o/h
cos = a/h
tan = o/a

sure. for right triangles.

There are no right triangles

and there are no distances

nah I've got it x is 40 degrees

Arrant nonsense. Changing the value of x would necessarily entail changing at least one of the four angles whose values are already given for the figure to remain the same geometrically. Obviously that can't be done, so x can have one and only one value, and ditto for the top left angle. This also means that there is sufficient information in the image to determine the value of x.

Stupid fucking troll image.

yea, and looks slimmer than the 40 next to it. you're pulling my leg here

bump again. almost there.

No I'm telling you it's fucking 40 degrees lmao

You lads want the working? will take a few mins to write down

got it. the answer is 55.

nah mate thats wrong

i'll prove it to you. going to write it out on my engineering paper. one sec

making an educated guess of 30 seems to be about right

Idiot.

Turns out, GIMP has an angle measurement tool. It's definitely a 30 degree angle

That's not how drawn triangles work lmao.

If you say "well it looks like the 40 degree angle next to it so it must be 40 degrees" you're assuming every triangle where you must find x is drawn to scale which is insane to expect.

Assume that one side has the length of 1. Calculate all other sides. Calculate X. Win

you've clearly never worked with geometry. scale doesn't matter

Here

There are two x's. One is at the top to the right of the word "find." The other is just under that, at the top of the diagram.

Apply the same tool to any of the known angles.
Do the results match up with the expected values?

I concur, there's info missing.

I got the same as you, 180' for the trianlges and straight lines but you hit a brick wall.

Introducing a scale would give you measurements for the right and left triangle, leading to a top triangle which is defined by two sides and the angle between the sides.

It's 20 degrees dumbfags

just about done.

Is it 40degrease I'm gussing its isosceles and from my calculations one of the base angles is 70 so 180-(70+70) is 40 but I'm probably wrong

>Smart
>Sup Forums

sub 40 in for x works

What is its not drawn to scale?

so does 30, insufficient information?

20° you dumb fucks

Got'em

nah dude its troll question, 20 works but so does 30, 40 etc

uploading

40 you dumbfuck

The angle is 55 degrees

fucking checked fag i keked

Notice that x exists for range 0

here's a hint

this

The sum of the angles in any triangle is 180 degrees. If two lines intersect, opposite angles are the same. Also, I extended the figure to be a full triangle to draw conclusions about some angles.

Bullshit, ref

horseshit

prove me wrong

>first line
>wrong
try harder son

no this statement is incorrect

you are right but so are many others

Also, on a line, the sum of the angles is 180

genius

my "first line" is not wrong if you follow what I am doing. I defined my x differently. My final angle is just written at the bottom.

There is no basis for "y - x = 10"

ding ding ding

Disprove it, then.

But there is, the difference between the angle 140 and 130 is 10.

So what? That doesn't mean that y - x = 10. That's only the case if the two unknown angles in the small triangle are the same (55 degrees).

50 + 130 + 55 does not equal 180 degrees.

The angle at the top is 20, meaning that the sum of the other two angles must be 160. You can see that they are not quite equal. If they were equal, each would 80 degrees. One is slightly larger and one is slightly smaller. I know that the difference between the larger angles that the smaller angles are a part of is 10.

still dry
just moved the problem

Obviously. Follow the angles man. 70 +55 +55 = 180

looks right, but why do I still think it's 40?

X having one value has nothing g to do with whether there is enough information in the problem.

How do you get the 80? I honestly don't know, and haven't taking Geometry since 1996. Can you explain it, please?

They used a computer program to get it from the image. It could still be wrong if the shape is not drawn to scale.

I hope you're trolling. For starters, I never disputed that x + y = 160, that's obvious. You still have absolutely no basis for saying that because the difference between the two large angles is 10 degrees (140 - 130 = 10), therefore the difference between the two smaller angles that are part of them must also be 10 (y - x = 10). I repeat, that is only the case if you assume that the two unknown angles in the small triangle are the same, ie. 55 degrees. That is an assumption with no basis.

"Errant" you fucking genius.

en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/arrant

engineerfag here, i went through it, extended that external 20 degree angle, ended up with 2 more unknown angles, threw together a system of equations and the result was a variable dependent solution. so basically you choose one and everything else falls in place. there isn't enough information to solve the problem theoretically. You can measure it and be happy with that. the guy with the solution on paper is lost and confused. go on about your day everyone, nothing to see here

that 55° assumption can easily be proven wrong
left diagonal is leaning at 60°
right at 50°
both side leaning at 80°, therefore, top line is not parallel to bottom line, hence x =/= y

Dont you just have to fill in a random value for one line and then you can just calculate the other line lengths and from that you can get x?

Yes it does. If x only has one possible value, it means that it cannot be anywhere between 0 and 110 degrees, as retards here are claiming. It has only one value, and it is entirely determinable from the information given.

Another retard, I rest my case.

whats the answer then bill nye

Thats exactly what i just said ya fuck

That wasn't my assumption, that was my conclusion. Notice that the small triangle is rotated. The two 55 angles can be the same while producing a 10 degree diffference in the larger angles written above. The conclusion supports that. I did not assume it.

Yes you did, which is the whole point: You arrived at that conclusion precisely because you had already assumed it in your calculations without realizing it.

Again it is not an assumption, it is a conclusion. What you have said is only true if the triangle were drawn to scale. Nothing about the angles alone supports what you are saying. The triangle is rotated in it's position, which is what makes this problem so vexing.

no

Same thing happened to me

30 degrees

I figured it out it is 30 degrees exactly. Typing out derivation now.

Woops i meant 60

OK, I think I have it..?

X = 10?

I'm pretty sure that it can be solved, but I might have made an error in some calculation