vocaroo.com/i/s1C7MmfPCpfr
youtube.com/watch?v=MotTFiBL0sw
vocaroo.com/i/s19rr0dvNeSx
vocaroo.com/i/s0AxWWgvgAUX
vocaroo.com/i/s0RPD6K5LfZ3
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Start by learning your chords and some Nirvana songs

kys

Why would you want to do that? You'll never be *really* good at guitar, and even if you are, you'll never be recognized as such. You're setting yourself up for failure. Get good at bagging groceries or something. At least that way you might get the employee of the month parking space.

youtube.com/watch?v=Oa2AbY4e_6Y

Vid related, this is how good I'd like to become, like the guy singing/playing

you just started playing?
if yes learn chords and play easy songs, do some fingerpicking practice etc

Practice.

Learn basic chords and just practice shifting from one to another smoothly, it can be a bit mind numbing, but it works. Then start playing around and see what you can come up with. I guess learning easy songs isn't a bad idea if you plan on being just another generic "good guitarist"

don't listen to these faggots in this thread. the only real way is to sell your soul to satan. to get his attention so that you can deal, first smoke a lot of crack, then hold your breath for fifteen minutes while fully submerged in the bath. good luck

Practice until your fingers bleed,
bandage them up,
then practice some more.

If you're not born with an innate talent,
then you have to basically be married to that thing
if you want to be more than merely passable.

step 1: play for 10 years (like me)
step 2: be mediocre

Practice at least one hour a day 2 to 3 is better
Metallica is good for timing
Green day is good for very easy chord progressions
And Tool the show you how to play from the gut and it's fun

>sell your soul to satan

Yeah, OP....
It's about getting dexterity on picking and the fret board.
It's best to start with scales. Try a 3 finger major scale.

Suck moar dicks

lessons and then play in a band. if you're the best in the band find a new band.

Learn stairway to heaven like every newfag does

Practice with a metronome. Get a copy of Guitar Grimoire. If you want to shred, get John Petrucci's Rock Discipline. For fucks sake at least get a metronome. Doesn't matter what you play, if you can't keep time you'll always be bad.

Here's what the first position sounds like.
vocaroo.com/i/s1C7MmfPCpfr

Stop using wound G strings

with the last 2 words of your post.

serious answer:

learn your basic infomation as quickly as possible (power chords, open chords, major scale and blues scale will be plenty). Use landmarks like the fret inlays etc to learn how to move around on the fretboard.

get "the amazing slow downer" or something equivilent so that you can slow things down, learn pieces in chunks and have them loop etc. learn to practice things slow enough to get them correct and then speed the chunks up by like 5-10 bpm or 5-10% at a time until its 100% speed.

start learning actual songs and steal the licks from them. i.e. learn via osmosis. make learning entire songs a priority rather than just being able to play the main riffs

get plugged in with some players better than you and be forced to keep up.

be willing to learn and play music that other people want you to play, not just things you want to play yourself

learn to improve the 3 major areas of musicianship, your EARS (being able to pick things up solely by ear), your HANDS (technique) and your BRAIN (theory).

source: 10 years of playing guitar, tremendous amounts of gigging in nashville, an undergraduate degree in music/guitar

Cut your fingers and post it here

learn major scale and the what the numbers mean.

Practice

How long would it take until I get this good as in this post?

If you're new learn the basic to immediate chords and finger picking. After that learn to read tabs for some riffs or intros & solos. Learn different scales that may help you. Good luck.

learn chords
learn scales

start playing scales over chords
start learning riffs
start to improv over backing tracks

when you get sick/frustrated of one, switch back to the other. burning yourself out is only gonna impede your progress.

look into getting something like a cheap computer interface and Guitar Rig 5 so you can mess around with all the effects/amps and try different music styles.

my (newish) prs se custom 24 30th ann edition

practice every day.

learn a new thing every day. chord/progression/lick/scale/song...doesn't matter

play what you like to listen to.

That took me about a month of practice to do.

a week, maybe two

So you mean a week of playing guitar and you could change chords flawlessly and barre chords too? Or for how long have you played in total?

All the best play for like an hour and smash them.
Get good at smashing your guitar if you want to be the best.

im saying what that guy is playing is not that complicated.

You have to put the hours in on Guitar Hero, to really be good at playing guitar. Thats how nost musicians do it nowadays.

I can play nearly everything on expert and I wish this was real fml

youtube.com/watch?v=MotTFiBL0sw

this guy is the man, will help a ton

Use a stove to callous the tips of your fingers, also check these digits.

Can someone explain WHY it is good/useful to know the major scale/pentatonic scale or whatever it is called? What is it even?

It's not.

Just quit and play bass. Bass is so much cooler if you live with a drummer and a guitarist

pointing the wrong way dipshit

its a guideline for what notes sound good together.

If you want to solo/improv you need to know the scales.

the pentatonic version of the major scale and the pentatonic version of the minor scales are useful because:

(1) tons of previous music was played with these scales, so to play that music you need to know these scales too.

(2) the pentatonic versions of the scales eliminate some extra notes that are less "safe" to play at a given moment, so there is less likelihood you will hit a bad note.

(3) the pentatonic versions of the scales tend to be easier to both memorize and play because they lay well on the guitar neck

>Metallica with Lars Ulrich
>timing

Pick one.

No way, is it?

Guitarist for about 10 years here.
That's a mediocre level he plays there.
On electronic guitars they use mostly barre chords, these are usually hard for beginners but if you practice you will be at his level in like 1 year.

as far as "what is it even", a pentatonic scale is where you take some other scale, most of which have 7 notes in them, and elmiminate 2 of the notes so that there are only 5 notes.

its basically an "abridged" version of the entire scale. although its usefulness and its sound tends to be treated as a whole new scale unto itself rather than a derivative.

>(2) the pentatonic versions of the scales eliminate some extra notes that are less "safe" to play at a given moment, so there is less likelihood you will hit a bad note.
Could you please elaborate on this? With "bad note" you mean not hitting a string right? Or that a note is just out of place? How would you know what fits? What's the formula? Sorry for many questions, I've played for 5-6 months only, I'm OP

Looks like bar chords, not very long.
At most a month, but probably about 2 weeks with lots of practice.

After how many years of playing guitar?

well, most music played on guitar nowadays in thought of with the number system, which places a number/name onto the notes in a scale. so the notes in the C major scale, C D E F G A B C are now given numbers, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7. this is useful because if you play some other scale, like E Major, the notes change but the numbers do not. So E Major is E F# G# A B C# D# E.... but the numbers are still 1 2 3 4 5 6 7.

some of the numbers tend to be safe to play all the time, and some tend to be safe to play only some of the time. when i say safe, what i mean is that it wont sound wrong or out of place to the average person. in the major scale notes 4 and 7 tend to be unsafe notes and in the minor scale 2 and 6 tend to be this way.

therefore, the major pentatonic scale is 1 2 3 5 6 and the minor pentatonic scale is 1 3 4 5 7.

Here's the pentatonic for reference, OP.
It's the first scale I ever learned. You can improv to a lot of songs with it.

1) Play your guitar a lot.
2) Learn music - baroque, romantic, 12-tone, rag-time, swing, be-bop, rock, funk, prog, hip-hop.
3) Learn how to communicate musically: notation, harmony, theory, rhythm.
4) Join a band and learn how to play in an ensemble.

The quickest way to make progress is to get a teacher, and do whatever the teacher instructs. When you realize your teacher is FOS, then you are ready to leave the teacher and find a better one.

Could you get on Vocaroo and show pictures of scales along with how they should sound?

good diagram, but its important to note that the numbers you see in this diagram are for finger numbers, not note numbers.

numbers/notes in music can get very confusing if you dont have a strong theory foundation.

Ooh yeah, forgot that..
It's very important you get the muscle memory on all 4 fingers. Good catch Sup Forumsro.

So the numbers are where you are supposed to hold down a string? Like fourth fret high E string for example. Also why are some numbers red?

Numbers typed are which finger to use.

Numbers handwritten in MSpaint are the note numbers for the scale.

It's reference to your finger numbers
Like so..

red numbers are the "1" of the key, the home note. so C Major would have the "1" be C. etc.

I guess I should ask...
Do you play right or left handed?

So I am supposed to barre on the fourth fret Low and high E and B? What the fuck?

Kys

you only need to barre it if your playing all the notes at once, like a chord.

this is a scale, so youll be playing theses notes seperately, one after the other.

scales and chords can kinda be though of as the same thing honestly, however that is further down the theory road than you are at the moment, so dont let that confuse you.

i will say that barring all 6 strings with one finger is absolutely expected of a guitar player though, so what your describing isnt something crazy.

THIS

No, no need to bar when playing the scale. Just use one finger per fret. I'll record it for you.

these two are much better advice than anything else said in this thread.

vocaroo.com/i/s19rr0dvNeSx

Here you go OP.
I'm super out of tune right now. Being lazy cause i'm sick, but you get the idea.It's one finger per fret.

guitar si for pussies, better play the piano

i chuckled heartily to myself at the absurdity of your statement.

FUCKING CLEAN IT

meh, piano harmony is lightyears ahead of guitar harmony, but guitar melody is SOOOOO much more expressive and vocal-like that piano, even with the vibrato benders on electric pianos and synths nowadays.

piano melody is very mechanical or digital while guitar is much more analog (im talking about the melody itself, not the electronic aspect of the instruments)

Thank you. Should I play something too so you might hear how far or not far I've come? What should I play in that case?

Go ahead.

fan of Barry Galbraith much? he said literally this exact statement; it was his reasons for switching to jazz guitar from piano.

well that was fucking demoralizing

Learn scales and how they work with chords.

Practice

scrape your fingers on rough surfaces to build callouses

Practice

Get your guitar proffessionally set up (or learn to do it yourself) if you havent already

Practice

Practice

What should I play? Just strum random chords or?

Try the pentatonic scale I recorded for you.

By adding more strings dumbass.

"Get your guitar proffessionally set up (or learn to do it yourself) if you havent already"

GOLDEN advice. i cant tell you how many people and former students ive had that show up with their guitar and it is practically unplayable because its set up poorly, and the student doesnt know enough to even recognize it.

they just think that they suck even worse than they really do. A properly set up instrument is absolutely worth the $60-$100 someone will charge you to set it up.

pro tip, if you go have someone set it up, confirm exactly what they are doing (or not doing), and make sure that intonation is included. some guys will leave intonation off or charge extra for it which is bullshit as its, in some ways, the most important thing they are doing.

and for petes sake actually play the damn guitar before you pay/leave and CHECK FOR BUZZING FRETS.

Check out guitarjamz.com on YouTube

vocaroo.com/i/s0AxWWgvgAUX

Not sure I did this right, please don't laugh. Third attempt

practice, practice, practice

Practise.

btw. you will never be Ed Sheeran

What kind of magical set ups are you talking about that can be done "professionally"?

oh i didnt mean it had to be that you pay a guy necessarily, but OP and other beginners dont know how to play pentatonic scales or power chords yet, they certainly cant be expected to know how to set it up themselves yet.

longterm its for sure better to just do it yourself. I searched out Joe Glaser one time because i knew he did setups for nashville country stars and when i got my guitar back it was hardly magical.

the point is: get your guitar set up well somehow, particularly the action (string height) if your a beginner, and intonation too. it will make a huge difference if your guitar is set up poorly now and you just dont realize it.

>Implying you knew how to adjust a bridge and trussrod expertly from birth.

>vocaroo.com/i/s0AxWWgvgAUX

Not going to laugh at you. I just really want to help you OP.
It does not sound right. It could be the way you are tuned.
Can you play E A D G B e, all open strings, and record it?
I want to hear how your guitar is tuned.

Learn your chords
Learn some scales for the music you're interested in
Practice a lot (preferably gig a lot)
If songwriting, learn the chord wheel

Source: Me
Playing guitar 20 years
Run a guitar store

Thank fucking Christ

Fucking ginger fraggle, found under a fucking bridge, proceeds to get rich but somehow friendzoned.

practice.

Best advice I can offer is don't listed to a fucking word guitar teachers tell you about actual guitars

Sure, they can play guitar well and can teach you how to play, but 99% of the time they know dick about guitars themselves.

Think about it, you believe Lewis Hamilton knows how to time and engine or drop the oil? Nope

Leave tutors to teach and the guys in the (reputable) stores to properly inform you about guitars

bassfag here, studied music, specifically jazz, at berkeley school of music.

perfect practice makes perfect. make sure everytime you practice your instrument you stay goal oriented. also learn to enjoy the fuck out of it because it's the most fun thing in the world besides nutting inside of a girl. 1-2 hours a day but don't let it consume your life. really learn the notes and the sounds of the instruments and notes relative to one another, learn all the scales, the minor major augmented and diminished chords. Just focus on learning all the sounds on your instrument so every note becomes totally predictable.

Start with easy genres of music. Music theory is also very important so I would study that too. Also if you feel like rock trash music is getting too easy, move on to jazz or jazz fusion or classical. Shits so fun to play and you become a badass musician of you do.

This isn't really for getting better at guitar, but music in general, but this can still help.

The most frustrating part when I was learning is watching people shred and I couldn't. It's good to encourage new players and let the know they can get there. It's practice, practice, practice. You don't notice your progression at first. One day you're just playing and realize that you can keep up with a lot.

vocaroo.com/i/s0RPD6K5LfZ3

I think its my mic that is terrible