Hollywood had a record 15 big-budget flops so far this year

>Global box office receipts are up slightly from a record-setting 2015. Yet Hollywood is having one of its glummest summers in a long time.

>So far, this year has included roughly the same number of hits as 2015, but many more flops and moderate disappointments. Some movies that fell short of studios’ big expectations are The Huntsman: Winter’s War, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows, Independence Day: Resurgence, The Legend of Tarzan and Ghostbusters.

>Most of these movies cost more than $US100 million and some close to $US200m. There have been 15 big-budget disappointments or flops so far in 2016, compared with eight at the same point in 2015.

>At Comcast’s Universal Pictures, box office has plummeted 53 per cent, coming off a record-setting 2015 in which it released blockbusters Jurassic World, Minions and Furious 7. This year it has released only one major hit, the animated comedy The Secret Life of Pets, and several flops, including Warcraft.

>Fox and Warner Bros are in close competition for second place with a little over $US1.1bn of box office in the US and Canada so far. Universal has close to $US1bn. Paramount and Sony Pictures Entertainment, both devoid of blockbusters, have grossed about $US500m each.
wsj.com/articles/rising-box-office-masks-glut-of-big-budget-film-flops-1471192593

What went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-ncFDuKdgNE
youtube.com/watch?v=puSSTA_tnRg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's like when Norks have to pretend they are happy taking photos with Kim Jong

Is hollywood finished?

>you'll never be a disgusting fat old man that fucks supermodels

Spielberg knew this.

Spielberg was right. 2017 is going to be worse, expect a total disaster.

>The Huntsman: Winter’s War, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows, Independence Day: Resurgence, The Legend of Tarzan and Ghostbusters.
>sequel, remake/sequel, sequel, remake, remake

Maybe if they stop being so god damn unoriginal?

I don't know, maybe it's time for Hollywood to enter the creative phase again. You don't NEED $100+ million budget for every movie and add marketing on top of that.

It's obviously the fault of piracy. Look for new laws targeting pirates when Hillary gets elected.

They've sacrificed stories that people actually give a shit about for sequels that spend half their budget on special effects

>that image

Taylor Swift is in a languorous haze, that whore next to her looks like her heart stopped beating in the limo on the way to the event, the third one looks like Harvey's devoted, paid slut... Lorde isn't even trying to hide her disgust.

GET YOUR HANDS OFF MY WAIFU

Party's over

>Some movies that fell short of studios’ big expectations are The Huntsman: Winter’s War, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows, Independence Day: Resurgence, The Legend of Tarzan and Ghostbusters.

are hollywood jews retarded?

im literally a fucking nobody and even i could tell all of those would bomb hard the second they were announced

How does no one in Hollywood realize that now is the perfect time for a Neuromancer movie?

because even normies are starting to get fatique from all the shitty remakes and reboots, sequels, prequels, etc

mix that in with more and more people now would rather stay at home and bingewatch a netflix show than be ripped off at the movies and there ya go

Maybe spending $50m on CGI, $20m on A-listers and $100m on advertising isn't sucha great idea

He and Lucas talked about this years ago, right?

That's Lorde? Jesus Christ, either this is the first time I see her or my mind tried to erase that monstrous face from memory.

how could you say that ;__;

They should start appealing to China and start casting Asian actors and actresses

I'd prefer this to all the niggers honestly

is this honestly a surprise to anyone especially in the movie business, the supposed experts? are they literally living in ivory towers? how can they not understand a single thing about their audience?

This is it right? This is the end of movies.
Internet and other media killed it
People wouldn't come to theaters except for big effects, and now not even for that.

It's been a good one and a quarter century

I'd prefer that to all the white ''people'' tbqhwuf.

they should do a roast of Weinstein then literally crucify him and film it

I'm sure he would be willing to die for the amount of shekels the whole production would rake in

This is real creepy shit negro

>taylor only hangs out with uglier girls so in comparison she's 3x more attractive

I can't tak her seriously anymore

Hollywood dying and all I had to do to contribute was sit on my arse and download those movies from the internet

This is what summer 2017 looks like
>Guardians of the Galaxy 2
>Baywatch
>The Nut Job 2
>Pirates of the Caribbean 5
>Wonder Woman
>The Mummy
>World War Z 2
>Cars 3
>Kingsman 2
>Transformers 5
>Despicable Me 3
>Uncharted
>Spider-Man: Homecoming
>War for the Planet of the Apes
>Dunkirk
>Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
>Jumanji
>Alien: Covenant
>The Emoji movie
>It

It's going to be a massacre

>>Pirates of the Caribbean 5
fucking finally man

>The Huntsman: Winter’s War, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows, Independence Day: Resurgence, The Legend of Tarzan and Ghostbusters.

Is the time of too many unneeded sequels and reboots coming at an end?

ive seen elle do something exactly like this, whats the deal?

gotg 2, spiderman, and war for the planet of the apes might do alright

cars 3 maybe too because of all the toys they'll sell

all others should bomb

I wanna fuck and lick all of Lorde

>>The Nut Job 2
Didn't the first one bomb?

Some met gala thing

Maybe if Hollywood stopped putting out so many hackjob schlocky movies with poor writing there wouldn't be so many flops

Quality > quantity

>that webm

Horrible.

>World War Z 2

Fo real?

wtf she cant dance

And he himself had a high budget film flop this year too (BFG). Also it was him and Lucas who kickstarted the whole modern blockbuster model with Jaws and Star Wars (later ET and the Indy movies) and hopefully now it will all finally come crashing down.

>GotG2
>pirates 5
>uncharted
My inner pleb is giddy with excitement

>>Pirates of the Caribbean 5
I swear there's been more than 5

Well she is pretty much the whitest person on Earth

>Some movies that fell short of studios’ big expectations are The Huntsman: Winter’s War, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows, Independence Day: Resurgence, The Legend of Tarzan and Ghostbusters.
Is the ONLY way to become a studio executive to be related to one or to save the life of one?

How can people with so little clue what the fuck they're doing be in charge of billions of dollars worth or resources?

At least I'll have one excuse to go outside.

>Transformers 5
FOR FUCK'S SAKE LET MICHAEL BAY DIRECT A GOOD SCRIPT HE'S SO TALENTED BUT YOU'RE MAKING HIM DIRECT THE SAME MOVIE FIVE TIMES NOW REEEEEEEEEE

>all of them are either sequels or reboots

Gee what a fucking surprise

>20 movies
>"Summer" is 8 weeks long

APOCALYPSE UPON US.

>Am I so out of touch?
>No, it's the public who are wrong

>muh audience fatigue, muh compelling stories
No, its just because there"s too many movies, people can't watch all of them

I WHIP MY HAIR BACK AND FORTH

>yfw this will be blamed on the lack of PoC movies
>yfw their failure will then be blamed on the audience

>fatique

>Success
>Flop
>Failure
>Scrape Success
>Nope
>Nah
>No
>Flop
>I can't remember how well original did, so Flop
>Success
>Success
>A film about a video game? Flop.
>Success, just about
>Flop
>Flop
>Nope
>Flop
>Nope
>Failure
>Dunno

Fucking spam blocker won't let me post

Forgot Justice League in November 2017.

>summer 2017

Except China want to see people like Matt Damon, they are not interested in some no name Asian American actor

Americans need to understand most of the world doesn't do identity politics

>November
>Summer

Ameritard Education, everybody!

They'll blame millennials and torrenting on it but for the most part, it's because of them laziness. They think cranking out low effort sequels to known properties is guaranteed cash. People want to see good movies not mass produced paint by the numbers shit.

>the emoji movie

this cant be fucking rea-
>its fucking real

Well you're dumb and wrong. A simple google search could tell you that

Because more & more people prefer to just stay at home & watch Netflix

I expect Star Wars 8 to under perform as well, no way will it get close to 2bil this time

You're sort of right. I don't think anyone was clamoring for sequels to Snow White or Independence Day. For the most part, nerds have a track record of going to watch shit like Ninja Turtles though.

o i am laffin

This is what summer 2017 looks like
>Sequel
>Reboot
>Sequel
>Sequel
>Remake
>Remake
>Sequel
>Sequel
>Sequel
>Sequel
>Sequel
>Recycled IP
>Reboot?
>Sequel Remake
>Wait is this actually an original concept?
>Recycled IP
>Remake
>Sequel?
>Finally an original concept
>Remake?

just as god intended

>living in a hole for the past year

World War Z 2 sounds like an astromech designation.

>design your whole production concepts around market research study
>can't study that which doesn't exist
>make blockbusters which aren't original but just based on a pre-existing franchise bc MUH BRAND AWARENESS
Oh gee I don't know what could've gone wrong

One thing people aren't taking into account is the weather in the US. We had record setting floods in the south then the east. Its still flooded where I live.

>The Emoji movie
truly these are end times

What did he say exactly?

lucky trips speak truth

>Uncharted

I might actually give this one a chance. We've needed a good traditional adventure/supernatural movie ala Indiana Jones for awhile. It could be terrible, but if it's well cast & written then this could be a fun one.

>Tom Cruise The Mummy
FUCK no. Cruise is 50+ now and should not be pulling the action hero roles anymore.

It's a Sony movie. Nuff said.

Tom Cruise doesn't make bad movies.

>A Nolan movie will bomb

Guise, remember the leaked sony emails? Among them there was a ppt of a market research study for a fucking POPEYE movie, based mostly on the fact that popeye has a 100% brand recognition in the west. I mean ffs, POPEYE, the crappy 1930's spinoff of Betty Boop, and they're considering THAT before any original idea, how fucking dense (and lazy) can you get?

of COURSE it's doing the dreamworks face

This. With marijuana illegality almost out the window, they'll need new crimes to be harsh on. And with the added threat of "cyber terrorists" hacking her sweet Democratic Party, seems a given that she'll push for tough on pirate legislation

>Popeye, starring Mel Gibson
would watch

His action movies are fine. His action scenes though?
Get off the box, Tom and try giving us a full shot that last more than 2 seconds.

>Cars 3
>Transformers 5
>Despicable Me 3
Hits

>Baywatch
>Wonder Woman
>The Mummy
>World War Z 2
>Kingsman 2
>War for the Planet of the Apes
>Dunkirk
>It
Underperforming but profitable

>The Nut Job 2
>Uncharted
>Jumanji
>The Emoji movie
Flops

moar liek the JUST movie amirite?

There's already been a successful Popeye movie you fucking fetus. Stop trolling me.

they thought they were making good movies and blamed their shortcomings on millennials

>>Wonder Woman
>>Kingsman 2

>>Spider-Man: Homecoming

>>War for the Planet of the Apes

i might just see 1 of those in sinemas

>successful

>Baywatch
>The Nut Job 2
>Wonder Woman
>The Mummy
>World War Z 2
>Cars 3
>Kingsman 2
>Transformers 5
>Despicable Me 3
>Uncharted
>War for the Planet of the Apes>
>Dunkirk
>Jumanji
>The Emoji movie

>the emoji movie
WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHERE. THEY. THINKING

Jumanji is going to bank nigga.

I like that they gave it hair. Because they assumed that a bald yellow face smugging at the camera for 90 minutes would be too creepy unless it had a shock of trendy, equally yellow hair. Then it would zip past the uncanny valley

>The Nut job 2
Wasn't the first one a flop? I'm honestly surprised it's getting a sequel.

But yeah, it's sad just how much of the summer box office is pure sequel bait right now.

What I hate is that even the new stuff sets up future parts in the original movie. I hate how everything has to be a trilogy now. We need more stand alone one shots.

>reboots
>remakes
>sequels
>video game movie
>the only movie that sounds remotely interesting is a fucking nolan movie

big budget movies have seriously gone down the fucking shitter this decade

Popeye is a pretty cool franchise though. It hasn't been done to death either, like the other remales/reboots/sequels we're getting.

I really liked the live action movie musical with Robin Williams and Shelley Duval.

youtube.com/watch?v=-ncFDuKdgNE

But the new one is a cgi cartoon.

youtube.com/watch?v=puSSTA_tnRg

Looks average to me. Something for ADD kids to watch.

>>The Nut job 2
>Wasn't the first one a flop? I'm honestly surprised it's getting a sequel.

Think the Alpha & Omega cheap sequels. The CGI assets from the original film are already made and it's just a matter of rigging them on basic backgrounds.

I'm betting they were able to make a sequel for FAR less than the original and execs green lit it becasue it would turn a profit this way.

Hello Mr. Goldbergstein? I've got some great scripts for you. Dr. Doolittle and and Hello Dolly. The audience is sick of musicals? Don't be a putz, the goyim will watch anything. Give me a couple million and I have those goys eating out our hands.

>BRAND AWARENESS
>>BRAND AWARENESS
>BRAND AWARENESS
>>BRAND AWARENESS

>tbqhwuf

Stop talking like a nigger, user.