Not trying to racebait, just understand a nuance of American culture

Not trying to racebait, just understand a nuance of American culture.

In the last 15 years there probably is no bigger demographic change than of white people merging into hip hop. Every rap show I go to is 80% white people.
But why does it seem it's still not common and also kinda something people think is weird, black people in other genres like indie rock, folk, etc.?

TL;DR Why can't brothas be appreciated at being into something other than rap without it being weird?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vdkmhquF60o
google.com/amp/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/brussels-belgium-nail-bomb-attack-moroccan-molenbeek-could-have-been-worse/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

There is nothing "weird" about it. The US is just too poisoned by identity politics to accept that any race can enjoy any music genre. Don't be fooled by the propaganda

White people in America are trained to be cucks and there's no white music that's promoted to the youth.
Black people have in group pride and are naturally suspicious of someone preferring a foreign culture to their own.

It's not identity politics, it's just identity. Preferring your own people over others has only in the last hundred years become a politically revolutionary orientation.

>TL;DR Why can't brothas be appreciated at being into something other than rap without it being weird?
dean blunt spoke about this. and its an american issue tbqh. in the UK its different. but like this user said

more like last 10 lmao

Depends on where you wanna draw the line. It was actually over a hundred if you want to include egalitarian communism. Desegregation is another good dividing point, although that's closer to 10 than a hundred, given that that went on well into the 70's. 90's cartoons like captain planet and the magic school bus were full of harmonious racial diversity though, so it's definitely been more than 10.

People who choose their identity based on what they were born with rather than their achievements in life are subhumans. Too lazy and weak to do anything for themselves.

lol
shows have always been mainly white people.
go to a club show though and you'll see like 2-3 white people. it's 2 different cultures. Why don't you see black people at other events? their a minority.

You don't choose these aspects of your identity to begin with. You'll always be white or black or male or female. The music you listen to and the clothes you wear don't change what you are. The "choosing your identity" memes comes from the people who are trying to sell you 30 dollar t-shirts that fit your made up identity, and from existentialists desperately trying to contrive a "higher purpose" while still maintaining an individualistic philosophy where one has no responsibilities.

Like I said, hard work and life achievements. No one mentioned shallow crap like clothes and music preferences.

Hard work and like achievements gain you honor, and money, but it is only part of your identity to be successful. A successful black is still black, and they all know this, and many of them try to help out unsuccessful blacks.

>The music you listen to and the clothes you wear don't change what you are.
they literally do. You don't honestly believe that gender and skin colour is all that defines a person?

>The music you listen to and the clothes you wear don't change what you are.
That wasn't the best wording. I meant that there are elements of identity that transcend personal choice, not that those are the only things that define a person.

It's not a 50/50 split on white and black, it's more of a 72/13 split on white and black, and that's before we take in consideration Asians and other minorities just in general.

White people merging into hip hop isn't as odd as you'd think because it's just the overspill - the number of whites in America is far far higher than the number of blacks.

That explains the number of whites in hip hop shows, but the low number of blacks in other genres can be explained rather simply by the Black Power movement, which essentially got blacks to not want to go into white music. The music that came from that effect is not bad at all, but it essentially meant that the number of black guys in rock bands, for example, dropped exponentially. You have a few stand-outs - the prog bluegrass of Bela Fleck and the Flecktones with the Wooten Brothers comes to mind, the various members of The Mars Volta, if you're willing to dip into Djent there's always Animals As Leaders. But they're not very common at all, and thus brothas being into something other than rap or soul or funk are seen as weird.

But all in all, fuck that shit, if we exclude ourselves into tiny corners we'll never get interesting fusion stuff.

Black people just don't show up in rock as often. When they have it hasn't been weird.
youtube.com/watch?v=vdkmhquF60o
>obligatory reminder that rock was started by African Americans and they eventually phased out of it.

There's also the obvious thing where blacks only make up 20% of the American population while whites occupy 50%, so you expect whites to outnumber blacks.

Blacks make up 13% and whites make up 72%, dude, numbers are a bit off there. Also you have things like Bloc Party and Living Colour as well.

I think the point that OP is bringing up is that if you're a black guy in the US, your community expects you not to like rock and if you do like it you're kinda seen as a weirdo.

>your community

it's white people also, not just other blacks

>I think the point that OP is bringing up is that if you're a black guy in the US, your community expects you not to like rock and if you do like it you're kinda seen as a weirdo.
this is true. my family basically calls me a fag for liking sun kil moon and smog.
saw alex g live once. and i got stares the whole night. so its the same within white folks also alex was cool tho. shook my hand and shared a beer with me.

Your own people? You mean like, American people? Because whether you're black or white you're still American. There's no "American" ethnicity, unless you're talking about various native tribes, and segregating a country's culture based on race is the cause of a lot of the racial tensions today. Once people in the US stop looking at hip-hop and other stuff as "black" and stop looking at rock and other stuff as "white" and just "American", a lot of this shit will go away

>You'll always be white or black
Wrong baby.
Different cultures define races differently. People you consider Black in America wouldn't necessarily be considered Black in other countries, say South Africa or Egypt

I mean white people, my ancestors who won and defended this land to pass on to their descendants. America was almost all white, black, and indian until racial immigration preferences were stopped in 1965. The races lived separately like they should. Race is the cause of racial tension. People will not stop caring about race because it is natural to prefer your own people. Being tribal is just being a normal person. There's nothing primitive about it. It's the driver of human evolution. Nowhere in the world does racial diversity not cause conflict.Two different peoples trying to occupy the same territory is the cause of most of the war that has ever happened and it will be the cause of most of the future wars that will happen. Different culture legitimately cones from different races. Desegregating it is artificial, and doesn't give credit where credit is due. Blues music is black. Classical music is white. Cultures have history and come from a people.

oh lawd

I'm not your baby and you know I mean African. Mixed people have to pick a side. Congrats for pointing out linguistic differences.

Can't even tell if this is bait and it scares me

It seems Sup Forums is a lot less racist than they like to appear. Unless it's just like two guys posting in this thread.

lmao i hope this is bait

I was going to give this an honest reply until I realized this is either a new copy pasta or that who ever wrote this is actually serious, and thus cannot be reasoned with.

"Yeah sure you were going to give this an honest reply. Guy you're replying to isn't technically wrong about anything at all.

You probably should be scared. More people think like this every day.
This is the second time I've been accused of copypasting what I've typed. I can be reasoned with sure, but these ideas can not be defeated.
I'm not wrong. Thanks for noticing.

black people are 12% of the population

(Actually my spelling was wrong in a few instances, but my ideas are not.)

>White people in America are trained to be cucks and there's no white music that's promoted to the youth.

Music discission isn't Sup Forums related.

>I can be reasoned with sure, but these ideas can not be defeated
You said that there is no place where racial conflict doesn't exist. That's wrong. Races are not in conflict where I'm from. I live in Luxembourg btw. Pretty sure this can be extended to most of europe though, I've travelled it extensively and never really encountered racial conflict.

>America was almost all white, black, and indian until racial immigration preferences were stopped in 1965.

I don't think you have even begun to understand the racial fabric of the US.

Mexican here, i feel your pain man.

I don't know what's going on in Luxembourg because it's irrelevant and tiny. Walk across the street to Belgium and hang out in Molenbeek for a while abd see how you're treated. I didn't even know this before googling it but there was a terrorist attack perpetrated by a Moroccan just two days ago. That's close enough.
google.com/amp/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/brussels-belgium-nail-bomb-attack-moroccan-molenbeek-could-have-been-worse/
You need to pay the fee of one smug anime girl picture if you want to post this inanely.

Not the idiot that said that stuff,but you said it man

>You said that there is no place where racial conflict doesn't exist. That's wrong. Races are not in conflict where I'm from. I live in Luxembourg btw. Pretty sure this can be extended to most of europe though, I've travelled it extensively and never really encountered racial conflict.

It makes sense Luxembourg is one of the richest countries in the world.
I also think classism is on the rise as well in the US.

Hip-hop/rap has had white suburban teenagers as its core consumer base ever since it was even remotely commercially successful

All you need to know about the place is that it's a rich as fuck place with a 48% foreign population and no racial tension. Black people are equal here.

Do the blacks in Luxembourg have a history of slavery? also what's he pop. of Luxembourg? you can't compare the two countries

Molenbeek lmao, I've been to Brussels a bunch of times and it's completely safe. That's not a racial problem though. Brussels is cosmopolitan as fuck anyways, tons of blacks, whites, arabs and asians live there and don't give a fuck about one another. I actually visited a good friend in Brussels recently and I asked him if he noticed any change in the city's attitude since the terrorist attacks. He said it really hasn't. There's no tension, no fear, no nothing, it's a business heavy city and people simply have no time for that. Specifically in response to the bomb from the article you posted he said that it wasn't really covered in the news as much (which also explains why you haven't heard of it before googling) and since the damage was minimal people didn't give a fuck about it.

>Every rap show I go to is 80% white people
I mean this is incredibly dependent on where you live. What city are you seeing these shows?

no they don't. Population is half a million. But that's beside the point. stated that there is no place where diversity doesn't cause racial conflict and I gave a precise example where it's not the case. Of course race in the US is a much more difficult topic, but then don't fucking assume that it's like that everywhere.

the op thread is about AMERICA
jfc

>Isn't technically wrong about anything at all
Don't use words like "technically" in an way to squeeze out of looking wrong. He is definitely "technically" wrong.

And his post was about EVERYWHERE

Are you retarded?
>Nowhere in the world does racial diversity not cause conflict.

I didn't respond to OP. But since we're at it, it would be good to go back to topic, mods will probably delete this thread if it continues like it has.

>responding to that Sup Forumstier bait srsly

That's my point they're rich so boom problem solved.

link to dean blunt talking about it?

white people are still salty that the greatest rock musician of all time was black

'Identity' is for people who lack 'self'

I guess they are just not interested in it. But check out Tosin Abasi, he's a prog metal god (formerly in a metalcore band), one of the most creative and imaginative guitarist IMO

Will Swan is the Tosin of post hardcore tbqh