ARRIVAL

youtube.com/watch?v=AMgyWT075KY

>the most accurate depiction of how a first encounter situation would go down

If you're not excited for this, you should probably just give up on movies.

This is literally why we go to the theaters.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undeciphered_writing_systems
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

KHARAK

IS BURNING

>amy adams
>jeremy renner
why

>forest whitaker
hmm, might watch

>Forest Whitaker
it's already shit

Only watched 1 minute of trailer. Don't need more, plus it's my nigger Villenueneineieve, so you know its good

>I am a huge faggot, please rape my face.

The trailer urged me to read the short story and having read it I wonder where the whole action scenes got from.

Shame the alien communication story element plays second fiddle to a single mom's relationship with her daughter

I'd love an adaptation of Whipping Star but there's no chance. People say Dune is unfilmable but Whipping Star, THAT is unfilmable

>>If you're not excited for this, you should probably just give up on movies.
>
>This is literally why we go to the theaters.
HOLY you should commit suicide.

fuck forest

>that cast

you're up early shill

Christ how boring. I felt my attention drifting at least three times during the course of the trailer. This fedorah-tier memerey needs to stop.

>flaccid dick on your forehead

why is "from the directors of x" on movie covers? is it ego stroking? do people decide on which movies to watch based on the director?

>that tagline

Kek does Karl Pilkington work in Hollywood now?

You might have adhd user

are really this stupid? Average retard in America sees "From the Director of Sicario" and if they liked Sicario they will go see the movie. You really don't know how marketing works do you

It's done when execs are afraid the movie is gonna bomb and they need to reassure the goyim it's worth watching.

I'm not excited for it.
Why?

Because Villeneuve is garbage genre director

underage? or just retarded?

Who gives a fuck about stupid directors? I'm excited about an intelligent sci-fi movie.

Only if the movie on there was notably popular to the normie crowd

Example you would never see from the director of mean streets and bringing out the dead but you would see from goodfellas and twows

>intelligent sci-fi movie
you might want to read the short story because that is not what this movie is

Prisoners was alright. Sicario was boring, pretentious and needlessly confusing. This looks like a bottom of the trash-pile boredom-buffet.

>>remaking Contact
Why?

I've read it but still have hopes.

Because the director is the one that fucking makes or breaks the film most of the time, though sure, there might be a chance it's good film but Villeneuve has terrible track record

Just rewatch that film Contact with Jodie Foster, I can assure you it's 10x better film than this.

What the fuck, Lois?!
Superman is dead for what, days? And you hanging out with fucking Hawkeye!
Seriously. What. The. Fuck.

Nah, I've read an opinion on Sup Forums that it's just Lem's His Master's Voice with hamfisted religion-bashing. And I've actually read HMV as well as most of Lem's serious novels so I don't see the point in watching it.

>interstellar aliens need a single middle class mother to figure out how to translate their language for them

Dan Brown tier

>sicario was confusing
Now I know not to take you seriously

This

The director is literally the largest influencing factor that decides whether a movie is good

Are you retarded?

take a moment to calm down, super nerd

You know what really bugs me about this movie, but its not the movies fault.

>Women everywhere on the internet lose their collective shit because "MUH NO WOMEN IN MOVIES MUH FEMINISIM"
Yet this movie here, is coming out, it is not advertised as a "woman" movie, but just a movie that features a woman, and these same cum dumpsters cant even acknowledge it.

Its a shame.

>Sicario was boring, pretentious and needlessly confusing

what the fuck

it's literally just a well-shot action movie

There are linguists deciphering their language all over the world, dumbo, and she's just one of them.

and they say neo-Sup Forums isn't as kneejerky as the SJWs they hate

just look at posts like this one

It's still retarded, itd be like first world academics visiting a tribe in the Amazon only to sit around and wait for the natives to learn how to translate English

>single mom
It's not Jaden Smith in Earth Stood again right?

People talk about trains that are late, not the ones that are on time.

> and they say neo-Sup Forums isn't as kneejerky as the SJWs they hate

Who said this?

There's one well shot action sequence in Sicario and it's the border scene, rest of it, shit.

The fuck are you even talking about. How else do you imagine learning a completely alien (pun intended) language if not by starting with building a word-by-word translation equivalents?

try Sup Forums or Sup Forums or Sup Forums at any random time of the day

Not that user, but he means that if these aliens have the ability to travel through space and clearly at least know some of the human needs, why wouldn't they have studied the language from a distance first?

I have no idea why, but I just can't stand that motherfucker.

#HongKongIsNotChina

>at least know some of the human needs
Where did you get this from and what does it have to do with anything.

>wouldn't they have studied the language from a distance first?
It's impossible to learn a language from distance. Try learning Japanese by obversing signs and billboards in Tokyo through Google Earth. It's explained in the book too.

Given they're capable of building gravity defying interstellar ships simply by observing us and our communication signals. They certainly won't have to get a face to face meeting with some ginger in the middle of the Serengeti to learn their abc's

Forest Whitaker is goat, everyone else I agree about.

Jeremy Renner is bland and I never cared for Amy Adams.

>Dan Brown tier
So? He's a fantastic writer
>He's too successful! That means he suck!

> Try learning Japanese by obversing signs and billboards in Tokyo through Google Earth

Linguists have reconstructed tons of dead languages in this manner before computers were even invented

This thread is insufferable. A bunch of morons trying to feel smart about themselves by "finding" plotholes.

She dies at the end btw

>Try learning Japanese by obversing signs and billboards in Tokyo through Google Earth.

Which is completely possible? You just don't know what sound a character belongs to, but you can know what specific words mean. Spoiler: a door on a toilet is not going to mean "cat".

I'm glad fucking Hong Kong is not china.

Thats what happens when the thread begins with a faggot championing the movie as hard sci-fi masterpiece when it's clearly Independance Day tier schlock

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undeciphered_writing_systems
And many more they didn't. Hell, most of the time success is determined by the point of reference - like with the Rosetta Stone or cuineform inscriptions with Greek commentaries.
>a door on a toilet is not going to mean "cat".
Which is a graphic symbol and not actually a word. It gives you zero vocabulary or phonetic information.

Anyone who learns their language becomes omniscient. They're visiting Earth to give us an opportunity for that level of enlightenment. That's why it's more important humans learn their language.

Seems like a terrible idea because getting Dr. Manhattan vision would fuck any human mind up... like it did to Dr. Manhattan

But its true, the subject matter over the past year or two has been the whole "women in Hollywood" deal, Ghostbusters just had a gigantic fucking disaster over the "all female cast" claiming Hollywood and moviegoers are misogynistic, thats the reason Oceans 8 is a all female cast.

But here is a movie with a female lead, and not a peep, not a shred of interest from these people, and its because its a movie that happens to be staring a female, not a female staring a movie.

´The keyword that we share with the aliens is LOVE

Hmm I wonder where aliens are going to find points of reference only having access to the entire planet.
Guess they'll just have to have a slow dramatic exchange with some broad to learn the alphabet instead

>globalist propaganda

pass

martha

the whole Ghostbusters thing was literally just a marketing ploy to get retards like yourself mad and retarded feminists mad at the people getting mad

good job, you fell for it and gave the movie attention

Where did you get this stupid idea? It doesn't imply learning the heptapod language gives you magical foreseeing powers, it explains how it allows to understand a non-sequential worldview and the heroine just re-analyzes her whole life as the simultaneous flow of events from her past and present where she looks back at her life (from the alien contact to the marriage and daughter's death).

can't even call underage because most 12 year olds would get this.

DUDE RUSSIANS ARE EVIL

this is going to be shit

>anti immigration hate cinema is now mainstream

So it's not "hard" scifi at all. It's Harry Potter level "words give you magic powers".

The difference with dead languages is that, assuming they can observe people, they can literally hear what they're saying, so the point of reference is way bigger than a random tablet found somewhere

>amy adams
dropped.
one of the most unpleasant faces to look at on screen

>most accurate
>implying their intelligence wouldn't be several orders of magnitude greater than ours and they wouldn't send a single probe to manipulate our society and use our economy to replicate themselves before eradicating us

It really is fucking retarded how one woman is the only person who can solve this problem.

"There are no intelligent aliens" was a terrible redpill to swallow.

There might be some craggy shithole 100,000 light years away where something superficially to algae is growing everywhere, and that rock and Earth are the only places with life in the universe. The vast distances of existence are empty and sterile.

I don't know why Jewood didn't yet made movie about Russians killing Jesus

That's just what the greys want you to think

You've got that the wrong way round. Prisoners was pretentious crap that just dragged on and on, with the maze puzzle thing and the religious stuff. Sicario was ok apart from the last 30 mins. Overall Villenueve is a very overrated director.

They are reptiloids from Nibiru, you government shill.

Given the sheer number of planets in the universe, this opinion comes across as arrogant. There IS life out there, my love. It's just that we might never see it.

There is life, just no multiplayer

>There IS life
There's no proof of it yet.

>now thats a proper introduction

why the fuck does every movie have quips now

this so much.
It's 2016, any 'our declared enemy X is evil' bullshit can make only complete retards feel comfy.

Kek

>>There IS life
>There's no proof of it yet.
Are you saying Earth isn't proof of life?

Life yeah, intelligent life, probably not.
Just look at the length of time life has existed on Earth and how no other species in all that time has come close to being able to use more than a stick as a tool

Outside of it.

I think he's trying to say that we only really have a sample size of one. So it's hard to say if we're an anomaly or a certainty.

There's billions of galaxies out there, so personally I don't find it too far fetched that we just landed in the one not predispositioned to produce much life, even though others might.

We just don't know.

I know, loved one. I was merely referring to the fact that there is no reason to believe that the processes that gave rise to life here on Earth (abiogebesis) and then shaped it afterwards (evolution) are exclusive to this planet. This, coupled with the impossibly high number of planets in our universe, makes it probable that there is life out there.

>sun is to the right
>shadow of egg is directly towards camera

0/10

Also,

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox

It's just impossible to reach hospitable worlds to find out if they do indeed contain life.
This subject is well explained in Lem's Fiasco.

It's a matter of odds

Then you realize how bad the odds are because you put another order of magnitude on it.

You need a rock a certain size. Moving a certain stable distance at a certain stable speed from a certain type of star. Easy enough so far.

Then it's got to have a particular cocktail and dispersion of elements on it. It needs a magnetosphere so it's surface doesn't get washed away by solar radiation. It also needs a big buffer like Jupiter circling outside its orbit to suck up any flying debris that might obliterate it.

Then _____ happens, and amino acids line up just right, and life spontaneously forms, which is apparently so unlikely that it took about five or six billion years for it to happen on a planet ideally suited for it. Then for some reason two organisms need to simultaneously mutate enough to be capable of sexual exchange to kickstart evolution.

Then this complex life needs to develop a nervous system, and for some reason natural selection needs to continuously favor relatively weaker, more fragile creatures with more developed and flexible nervous systems until one develops sentience and breaks the rules in its own favor.

It's not "winning the lottery" odds. Not even with trillions of retries. It's "Scarlett Johansson falls out of an airplane and lands facefirst on your dick" odds.

I read the short story, but I didn't get the whole point of light refraction.

Was the author saying light can travel multiple ways, but has to decide before it even begins traveling thus creating a sort of paradox, "how can light calculate the fastest path if nothing can go past the speed of light, especially light itself"?

I didn't know that was true, I mean if it is then doesn't that completely prove that our universe might just be a simulation or at the very least that reality as we perceive it (linear) isn't necessarily the way it actually is?