/prod/ general - ywn be Madlib edition

old thread: Talk about music production, composition, and audio engineering.

Upload WIPs on clyp.it/

GIVE and RECEIVE feedback.

>ATTENTION!
DO NOT post Soundcloud, YouTube or any links where you are not anonymous. That is considered self promotion and will result in bad feedback.

>LEARNING RESOURCES

>The Art of Mixing
youtube.com/watch?v=TEjOdqZFvhY

>Intro to Synthesis
youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M&list=RDatvtBE6t48M#t=1764

YouTube channels that you should subscribe to:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>SeamlessR (Music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>BusyWorksBeats
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

>Justin Omoi
youtube.com/channel/UCMnmXvv9JHJPsrrob-gEn5A

>WarBeats
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Samori Coles
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

>Image Line Tutorials
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

>Music Theory: The TL;DR Version (Music Theory geared toward electronic)
www54.zippyshare.com/v/pUN8e0km/file.html

>Adam Neely (Music Theory and bass)
youtube.com/user/havic5/videos

>SamuraiGuitarist (Music Theory and guitar, ignore the blogging)
youtube.com/user/samuraiguit/videos

>Holistic Songwriting (Music Theory, Branding, and "Making It")
youtube.com/channel/UCLtD67ljlaeXQMV4sb-YzNA/videos

>Michael New (Music Theory and piano)
youtube.com/user/Rhaptapsody/videos

>READ THIS BEFORE ASKING ANYTHING

>Production Resources:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff
pastebin.com/08mwwiAV

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/klao5lgr
clyp.it/yz2ymgp5
clyp.it/un3zf15h
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthesizer
musicradar.com/reviews/guitars/native-instruments-guitar-rig-5-pro-505095
clyp.it/p1ey1dpq
youtube.com/watch?v=Qwz8JVD2QVM
youtube.com/watch?v=4i0d6CPLSGo
youtube.com/watch?v=mukiMaOSLEs
clyp.it/npt4npxt
clyp.it/ao3pfxmu
clyp.it/3ipt4jqc
youtu.be/c4KQZ61vB54?t=1m30s
intermorphic.com/sseyo/koan/
clyp.it/u44f0euz
clyp.it/fbdweqht
clyp.it/taedj5ff
clyp.it/lblgky3b
clyp.it/mgqxdb2s
youtube.com/watch?v=GHUc6zy73W0
youtube.com/watch?v=NNgWqi3JLp0
clyp.it/atx2n1vg
clyp.it/j3egngc0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Who?

hi bitsnake here

fig1.
clyp.it/klao5lgr

fig2.
clyp.it/yz2ymgp5

I wish I knew the names of sounds so I could speak intelligibly and be able to search up tips for perfecting them

I'm a fucking bumbling idiot

I want to get into amateur home recording and I play guitar. I was thinking of getting a multiFX pedal that could be also used as an usb audio interface to record stuff but apparently using just a sound interface and software to get different sounds is better. Is that correct?

If so, what interface should I get? My two main options are the Focusrite Scarlett Solo and the Behringer U phoria.

Also, could I practice/play along songs using an interface? i have good headphones(AKG K240 Mk II)

Yes, a multfx pedal interface will have both crappy effects and will be a crappy interface. Get an actual interface

Most anything behringer is shit, so get the scarlett. I'd suggest getting the 2i2 rather than the solo, because if you stick with recording you are almost 100% going want to upgrade to using multiple mics after not too long.

Yes you can play along. One way to do it would be to just drop the song into your DAW, hook up your interface and play along on another track. Or just get the amplitube app, then you can use that to play along while having itunes open or whatever.

Why would I want multiple mics? I plan on plugging the guitar on the computer, not miking the amp. Although that can happen some day, but at first I won't be able to afford an sm57.

Once you learn more about recording, you'll want to expand and have more flexibility. Trust me

Also try and find things used on ebay to save money

I promise if you want to record di and get a scarlett you're going to have a really shitty time

stop suggesting the 2i2 it's shit for recording

It would make sense for you to suggest an alternative

ask me

Why would I have a shitty time. Please explain.

Should I wait and get the interface + sm57 and record through my amp?

clyp.it/un3zf15h

Hey, is there anything about this mix that can be improved on? Also is my production good?

This is good

willing to get into techno, any particular plugin recommended

ur 22, roland quad capture, id14, literally anything else lol

zero headroom and very dark sounding pres. it's just a huge easilly avoided headache

I had one, my sss strat clipped the thing with ease. google it and literally everyone has problems with that thing

word there are so many specific synth sounds that I wanna look up but I have no idea how to describe them properly...
like there's this one that kinda sounds like a chipmunk voice doing vowels but idk if that makes sense to anyone but me... it's probably just a vocal sample in a sampler...

What is the most tweakable acoustic drumkit VST?

Is there any VST that beats Guitar Rig in terms of cab, mic + positioning emulation?

Once you understand the definitions of the following and know how they sound, it should all click for you.

>Leads
>Bass
>Pads
>Percussive
>LFO / Modulation
>Sine Wave
>Saw Wave
>Square Wave
>Triangle Wave
>Attack
>Sustain
>Decay
>Release
>High Pass Filter
>Low Pass Filter
>Band Pass Filter
>Format
>Bit Crush
>Chorus
>Delay
>Reverb

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthesizer

Probably Abbey Road Modern Drummer, along with other Kontakt kits.

can't say for heads but the cabs in gr suck as. kathallen sounds a lot better to me

>acoustic drumkit
superior drummer, addictive drums

>beats Guitar Rig
bias amp

>Is there any VST that beats Guitar Rig in terms of cab, mic + positioning emulation?
Use Guitar Rig or Amplitube to simulate the amp heads, then use impulse responses to simulate the cab

redwirez.com

musicradar.com/reviews/guitars/native-instruments-guitar-rig-5-pro-505095

>Incidentally, Control Room Pro uses RedWirez impulse responses, which are some of the best we've tried, and having them accessible via such a friendly, flexible interface only enhances their usability.

WHAT NOW HUH

plenty more than those are available

Apparently if I use a direct box the issue is fixed. How about that?

Then you have to buy a direct box, and a good one is about the same price as the scarlett

clyp.it/p1ey1dpq

This is far from finished but I figured it'd be a good time to check in and get some feedback. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, especially on the transition to the chattery orchestral part. I want it to be jarring but not to the extent that it takes you out of the music.

why not just put that money toward buying an interface without a problem lol

>clyp.it/un3zf15h
The volume difference between the melody and the beat is way too big, you should turn that sample up. The delay between the kick and the snare is also driving me insane, if that was intentional I'd give it a bit more space so it doesn't just sound like an accident.

I really love the weird vocal sampling, it's got a nice whimsy to it.

Holy shit after 1:05 things really get interesting, this is great. However, I'd recommend altering the drums so that they change with the music. They kind of stick out just keeping the same beat

Can I bump it
(yes I can)

in fig1, 0:20 to 0:27 really hurts my right ear and makes my eyes water

>Working on putting together demos on my own track-by-track
>Have a few songs that I've started recording/writing but am starting to get tired of
>Still a good amount of work to do before they're even playable as demos
Should I abandon them and start a new song that I'm more interested in or should I try and improve/finish them out even if it's just for practice?

Get in the habit of actually finishing things or be doomed to being like every other amateur with hundreds of hlf naked songs

Also polishing things is a skill you have to practice too man

>tfw my only real music talent is polishing and fleshing out/layering
>can't for the life of me put together the skeleton of a new song

youtube.com/watch?v=Qwz8JVD2QVM

Is it this sound? It's a speak and spell.

Not what I wanted to hear but you're definitely right. I'll stick with it.

Shit's frustrating, I wish I could work faster and have a lot more material to work with but it feels like it takes me forever just to come up with one part. Let alone basslines and drums and lyrics and everything else. There's a friend of mine I really want to work with but we tried jamming and it's like he can just come up with something good without even thinking about it while I have to sit there and go back and forth for what feels like ages. Fuck

I guess it wouldn't be worth doing if it was easy though.

(How do I find people that can actually hang in a jam?)

Hey guys, I just got into home recording and been playing a lot with microphone placement, but I want
to get this kind of piano tone. How can I achieve it? Could it be because of small sized room?

youtube.com/watch?v=4i0d6CPLSGo

youtube.com/watch?v=mukiMaOSLEs

Apparently the first gen 2i2 had a lower Max Input Level(+4dBu) and the first gen 2i4 had +13dBu (pad in) The second gen 2i2, 2i4 and solo all have Maximum input level +13 dBu. That means it probably won't clip, so it's okay.

where do yall get yours samples?

I don't live near a record store.

He added reverb to that after recording. Honestly it's possible that it's not even a real piano.

>record store
lol

literally anywhere my man. reddit's got some stuff

i'm sure they're an improvement, but I wouldn't take the risk considering their track record

What's a safe max input level? The second gen levels seem safe. The issues people had were all on the first gen versions.

I tried to make a King Crimson song sound like OK Computer-era Radiohead

clyp.it/npt4npxt

Thoughts?

Hey /prod/ how's work?

I finally came up with a song idea good enough to pursue after a two month stretch of nothing and made good early progress on it, so I'm quite happy with today's work

iktf user. I have to work with minimal shit. If I had a decent computer, I'd have to work with. but when you're on bare bones FL it's pretty tought to work with.

it goes hard

Two weeks of doing nothing man. Literally nothing. Haven't worked on a single track.
I wanted to focus on university but it's all fucked. I decided I'll join the navy cause I'm gonna get kicked if I don't drop out. My grades are fucked but at least I'll get a microphone soon.

I keep on making 10/10 synth patches that sound like some arca type crazy but I can't get around how bad of a songwriter I am :(

I finished lyrics for one of the last songs I have left on an so yesterday though so that's good \('_')/

safe input level..?
Well now I have to assume you're working with hardware synths so I guess what I was saying earlier doesn't matter since you can control your volume more easily

There's not a "safe" level with this stuff, clipping is just 0s and 1s, you're not doing any harm

At least you're looking up

I feel you user, for the past week I've not been able to think of anything to work on. I just keep making a bass line hoping something will pop out. And the only REAL tool I got to work with is 3XOSC which gets boring after a time

Isn't the input level that determines how loud the instrument can be without clipping after going through the interface? From what I understood from other people having clipping issues with the first gen scarlett interfaces, the gain control didn't go low enough and the guitars and basses clipped, requiring a direct box to attenuate the guitar signal before going into the interface.
Now the second gen scarlett interfaces have a higher max input level, meaning it can "handle" higher volume instruments like guitars without needing a direct box. Isn't this what a higher max input level means?
Sorry if I sound like a bumbling retard, I'm just getting into recording.

I've noticed I find it really easy to come up with vocal melodies while playing the bass.

Is there a limitation to this because you can't play chords or is it perfectly possible to have implied 7th chords in your head as you play bass and sing?

Just play the 7th too..?

It just depends what you want, fill in he chords appropriately after you have a melody and root note, don't worry about it

"Input level" sounds more like it's referencing the source volume rather than preamp gain

I'm not sure of the exact range, I read about the 1st gen range on gear slutz a while back and it was objectively rated shit compared to other interfaces. I don't understand the math behind it so I can't really tell you what a safe gain range is desu

I did find a work around with di by using a pedal in between to lower my volume but meh. A di box is really rather redundant because scarletts already have hi-z inputs or whatever.

(Forgot to even answer your question lol)

Yes you've got the right idea, though you should look up line mic and instrument levels if you don't already get what a di box is supposed to be for

is that a goya painting?

Yeah those are piano vsts, not the real deal. If you really wanted to recreate that sound I would record the piano as dry as possible and then add the reverb in post

Don't die

I feel awful right now, just wasted 2 hours on this. clyp.it/ao3pfxmu
I don't think I should just fuck around anymore. It makes me feel so bad after.

I think it's very nice, user. A bit generic, but it certainly has potential. Drums are the weakest part, but the lead and vocaloid are fantastic.

clyp.it/3ipt4jqc
Made this while smoking and jamming with a friend. Critique please

thats the point, baby

Can you post a couple on clyp please?
Really curious.

I'm just starting out and I want to start watching tutorials about the basics, but for the next few months I'll mostly have time when I'm away from the computer, so does anyone have some good beginner tutorials that don't need a big screen to see what the guy's doing, so I can watch them on my phone?

I'm using Ableton, so preferably stuff that's not exclusive to other DAWs.

Thank you in advance.

Youtube to dig then soulseek.

Is there a hardware unit like Maschine not for beats, but for ambient? Like slowly evolving drones?

how to do these effect starting @ 1:30
youtu.be/c4KQZ61vB54?t=1m30s

You could read a book!!!

Guys talking about getting a juno or a jupiter or whatever just get this fucking thing, more stable and actually sounds sentient

how do i make serum sound good?

the maschine is just a controller, it could just as easily make ambient as hip hop

I already have books, but need video tutorals too, since hearing the sounds and seeing the teachings being applied helps me learn much better.

Seems more beat focused, do you have one? I'd rather have a unit that was geared up for ambient instead of going against the grain of it or off its path

Think about what a controller set up for ambient music would need then - what would you need that Maschine (or Push, or any controller that facilitates high levels of integration with your music software) doesn't give you?

So you can trigger sound sources, you can manipulate them in real time, you can add effects to them and you can layer them - what are we missing?

>sounds sentient
what?

>slowly evolving drones

That's more a function of the sound that you're using rather than the way you're triggering it, but as an addition to one thing that you would probably find useful is an interactive mod matrix that's based on physics and collision detection like you get in Lemur and in TouchOSC apps.

I want to do real time ambient without mouse clicking and dragging. Its a question if you can do long samples on maschine that you can morph into others and not be bound by beat sequencer. Thought someone may know of something other than a synth

If it's not a synth (or sampler) then it would be a controller, and your choice of synth or sampler to control would be what makes your evolving sounds - all the controller would do is give you access to the synth or sampler's parameters.

Maschine is as good at that as others, but I'm inclined to think that some sort of generative feature, like the bouncing balls in Lemur and TouchOSC mentioned above would be something that you'd enjoy using, especially live.

Years ago there was a program called KoanX that also used bouncing balls and collision detection to generate MIDI data - I used it in the Win95/98 days (so did Brian Eno it seems) but I'm sure the last version I had also claimed to work on NT versions of Windows. The developers of that have diversified now and it might be worth looking at their current projects:

intermorphic.com/sseyo/koan/

Anyone?

rusty again. posted this in the last thread but didn't get any feedback. worked on it a little bit more and posting here again.

clyp.it/u44f0euz

I'm working on a dark ambient projekt
clyp.it/fbdweqht

Thanks, I'm not so into the moving circles on a screen around, maybe try out maschine at a shop

looking for autotune recs. is downloading a free autotune plugin worthwhile or should i pirate a quality one?

melodyne is the only thing you ever want to use when it comes to that

Sorry this mix is terrible
Too much high end clashing with those crashes, too much distortion.... I'm guessing the drums sound robotic like that intentionally..?

The part you were asking about wasn't jarring at all

clyp.it/taedj5ff

Too much reverb, do you think? I am working on the drums now, hats are next, but I have no idea what Im doing

Anyone? Please?

IS THAT THE BEST YOU CAN DO

The mix is definitely awful right now, I've only worked on it through my headphones so it probably sounds like trash through most other speakers
And yeah, I was ideally going for that kind of Sissy Spacek sound with the drums

clyp.it/lblgky3b
clyp.it/mgqxdb2s

>poz
no gay lingo here plz

before 1:50 is too formless imo. it was cool for like a minute

Dude, I think that track sounds really interesting, but the mix is much worse than just bad. You need new headphones at fucking once

and Im jamming out to Isle la Borracho atm, so you know Im not pissy or anything, I just want you to hear what I hear

They're perfectly fine headphones, I think the issue is just that I wanted to emulate sounds like this, which may not be the best direction to head in:

youtube.com/watch?v=GHUc6zy73W0
youtube.com/watch?v=NNgWqi3JLp0

I was certainly going for abrasive

No, of course! I really appreciate it either way, man. I'm tweaking it right now and playing with a less abrasive mix

clyp.it/atx2n1vg

hi i may or may not be bitsnake

I'm relatively new to production, this is one of my first attempts. It's an intro to a prog metal thing i'm doing. Looking for feedback from anyone who knows their shit

clyp.it/j3egngc0

this is my first track and I have no idea what I'm doing. please fix me

clyp.it/qunxxrfh?token=d961f87489225b65281600f40dca42ad

Not bad character-wise