Why did the orcs look so much better in lotr than they did in the hobbit?

Why did the orcs look so much better in lotr than they did in the hobbit?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6cvK3ykY35A
m.youtube.com/watch?v=SQkygZdZ_Vk
youtube.com/watch?v=s-fSVZS2VyU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

they weren't cgi

Those are goblins.

They didn't. You're blinded by nostalgia.

i really liked azog's dogger.

>I think a CGI kratos looks better than a real actor
>this generation

Yep and ghostbusters 2016 is so good.

They felt real because they were real, not shitty generic CGI combined with shitty color correction and bloom and shit.

Orcs and goblins are the same thing. There are synonyms, kinda like "Men" and "Humans".

Uruk-hai are half-orcs, half-men.

cgi

what fucking human thought it was a good idea to fuck an orc....?

I'm looking up orc rape right now.

It was obviously male orc -> female human. Uruks came out of Mordor (Saruman isn't the one inventing them), so they were probably born from women sent from the East.

Traditional uruks are just big fucking orcs, uruk hai are the half human ones that can walk in the daylight.

Although in the hobbit movies orcs regularly prance around in the daylight merrily.

Uruks and uruk hai are the same thing. Uruk(s) is just the english form that allows Tolkien to portray them in the plural, with a 's'. Uruk-hai is a black speech word.

Tie up that fem orc and her a mouth block Id smash desu

orcs and goblins are not the same things you goddamn idiot

They are in LOTR

they aren't, fucktard

Thus, there is no difference between Orcs and Goblins. The original edition of The Hobbit and early drafts of The Lord of the Rings first used "goblin" everywhere and used "hobgoblin" for larger, more evil goblins: when goblins were replaced with Orcs Tolkien invented the term Uruk-hai for his more evil Orcs
They are, fucktard. Unless you have some evidence that points to the contrary?

>In some of his unpublished early work, Tolkien appears to distinguish orcs from goblins. By the time of his published work, however, the terms had become synonymous.

>tfw you forget to greentext your quote

Goblins are a subset of orc

I thought orcs were like those in OP's pic. Goblins were smaller, lived in underground, and had big eyes.

They're not. Where did you get this idea?

I'd agree that Misty Mountains orcs are different than Mordor orcs, for example, but it's still the same thing. By the Third Age, the few remaining pure noldor are different than the sylvan elves of mirkwood, but both are still elves (one could argue orcs are elves too, but that's another matter).

I hope you're joking

>Orc is not an English word. It occurs in one or two places [in The Hobbit] but is usually translated goblin (or hobgoblin for the larger kinds). Goblins are what Tolkien called the Orcs that Thorin and Company encountered in the book The Hobbit.

the reason people think goblins and orcs are different is because there are various types of orcs that look different. Kinda the same way there are different races of humans.

you're genuinely retarded

This. Also, PJ for some reason decided goblins should be their own species in the Hobbit movies.

They really did, though

This.

Also, because many other settings make a clear different between them.

ALL GOBLINS ARE ORCS BUT NOT ALL ORCS ARE GOBLINS

I believe the uruk aai were actually mutant elves>73539362

Moria orcs are the ones called goblins.

Basically the smaller orc vareity that grows in the misty mountains is sometimes referred to as goblin.

Don't Sylvan elves also have Avari ancestors?

Yeah I thought that they were a crossbreed of human and orc created through saruman's black magic. I could be wrong though, I'm not a Tolkien buff

>son watches LotR
>he gets scared when the orcs are onscreen, has nightmares later
>he watches the Hobbit
>says it was 'worse than Barney'

Orcs as a whole are descended from mutant elves.

I always thought orc was an elven word, hence orcrist = goblin cleaver.

Yeah I'm pretty sure they're descended from elves corrupted by Melkor

Orcs themselves are mutant elves, back from when Melkor captured a few at Cuivienen. Then, from this new race, they eventually were crossed with men, likely eastern men, and that gives the uruk-hai. So in a way... Elrond is an uruk-hai!!!

Contrary to the movies, Sauron actually created Uruk-Hai.

Yes, Orc basically translates to Goblin in english

The hobbit "orcs" are like bodybuilder-LOTR-orcs fresh out of the bath. Their skin looks fucking soft, like everything else in that bloomed-to-death movie.

Azog and his crew looks like fucking uruks, yet they are orcs.

time and care was put into the LOTR trilogy

The Hobbit trilogy not so much
youtube.com/watch?v=6cvK3ykY35A

>Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong dillo!
>Ring a dong! hop along! Fal lal the willow!
>Tom Bom, jolly Tom, Tom Bombadillo!

what did he mean by this?

>OUTTA MY WAY, FUCKING SHITS

You have a wise son.

I'm watching battle of the five armies and god damn they turned middle earth intoa cartoon show.

There's a video on YouTube of Peter Jackson on the set of the hobbit. He said that when he joined the production they were ready to shoot. Unfortunately that meant there wasn't 3 years of pre production like lotr. A lot of the costumes were made the morning their scenes were shot and everything else was filled in with CGI.

Ok.
Melkor/Morgoth
>OG Orcs and Trolls
Sauron
>Mordor's Uruks and Olog-hai (those armored trolls)
Sauron-man
>Isengard Uruk-hai
Evolved on their own
>Misty Mountains' Orcs/Goblins

Are there female orcs? How do they procreate? Do they have an established system of agriculture to keep themselves fed? Do they have a government? How do their societies work?

What were they thinking?

That about sums it up

What I want to know is why Jackson cut the barrow wights and all the other interesting monsters from the lotr movies.

The orcs looked even better in King Kong

There simply wasn't enough time to include everything.

Too difficult to adapt. LotR movies are very straightforward compared to the novels.

It shows. It really really shows.

why? it was a nice dogger.

>For the Orcs had life and multiplied after the manner of the Children of Iluvatar
Yeah, there are female orcs, and they fuck like elves and men.
>Do they have an established system of agriculture to keep themselves fed
No, unless you count Nurn.
>Do they have a government
Clearly fucking not

Why are they called orcs when they look like trolls or goblins
none of them ware green

The one on the left is better. Has Mongoloid features like orcs in the books.

>Are there female orcs
Female orcs are probably not much different from males, only with tits.

>How do they procreate?
They stick their penises in vaginas

> Do they have an established system of agriculture to keep themselves fed?
There are farmlands south-east of Mordor, on the shores of Nurn, an inner sea. Also, lots of goods probably come out of the eastern realms allied with Mordor. Orcs out of Mordor probably use a more primitive system of hunting, gathering, animal domestication, looting, cannibalism, etc.

>Do they have a government? How do their societies work?
Violence is their tool of coercion, probably. And even then, just looking at the dispersal of orcs through Middle-Earth, you can tell orc organization never stay united for long.

Here's the video.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=SQkygZdZ_Vk

What happens to an orc when it dies? Does its soul go to Mandos?

Not sure.. I don't see why it wouldn't.

Is there any art from the Del Toro Hobbit?

They said they worked on it for 1.5 years, there's gotta be something.

>What happens to an orc when it dies?
Meats back on the menu boys

It looks like someone made a really bad taxidermy of a retarded wolf.

Are there female orcs?

What is it? What do you smell?

probably

Based user's based son.

Tell him to read the books (especially The Silmarillion), by the way!

>let's put ourselves between retard-strength orks and our friendly spears
>that'll surely work out for us
Those movies shouldn't exist.

>daily reminder that this scene was written, recorded and edited

youtube.com/watch?v=s-fSVZS2VyU

Uruk hai are bred from elves you retard and there's a difference between orcs and goblins. Goblins live underground and literally cannot deal with sunlight, orcs can deal with sunlight but it's uncomfortable, Uruk hai give a fuck about sunlight

What part of the book is this?

Goblins are just orcs from the Misty Mountains. Uruk Hai are bred from men and orcs, not elves.

>there's a difference between orcs and goblins
There isn't

Uruk-hai is just a breed of orcs possibly bred with humans by Sauron in the second millenia of third age but this is left as a supposition due to the fact that they can operate under the sun.

All orcs are originally bred from elves though.

There is an Ragnarok type of last battle in Middle-earth cosmos where the good and evil duke it out one last time and everyone's invited even if they died long ago, so I suppose Orcs go to a hell variant of the Halls of Mandos but this is never told and neither is the Ragnarok apart from some leftover texts Christopher Tolkien compiled together.

Fucking nerds man, get a life.

>who we want to be
elves - all knowing, immortal
>who we think we are
humans - fair diplomats between races
>who we actually are
orcs - brutes, cruel

Where were Gondor's armies?

Really makes you think.

I want to be a dwarf though.

orc-rist is elvish for goblin-cleaver
because orc means goblin
you fucking idiot

So deep

I'd actually like to be an Ent, there lives must be pretty sweet most of the time, unless you end up a Huorn.

Fucking kike.

>this thread

No, no, no, no, no.

First of all, Uruk-hai does not mean half-Orc. It literally means "Orc-folk" and is a generic Orcish term for any Orc that is especially big and mean. All of Saruman's half-Orcs were Uruk-hai because, being hybrids, they were bigger and stronger than most Orcs are.

And second, "goblin" is a synonym for Orc, one used mostly by Hobbits, it isn't some fucking taxonomic classification denoting a subspecies or whatever.

Sauce: I've read the appendices.

Thank you brave man.

Oh, and Tolkien himself would refer to Saruman's half-Orcs as "goblin-men."

WE'VE AD NOTHIN BUT MAGGOTY BREAD FOR THREE STINKIN DAYS

>why are people in well designed costumes more appealing on screen than watching shitty video game graphics

No clue

jesus christ

Fuck you for reminding me.

uh both are fake bro, one can't be less fake than the other

t. Lucas

what did he mean by this though?