What must happen to a "big" club so that it loses its "big" status?

What must happen to a "big" club so that it loses its "big" status?

Get relegated and fail to come straight back up.

play worse than arsenal for two consecutive years

It needs to fall of the radar completely for like 20 years. No runs in major tournaments, no trophies anyone cares about. Basically what has happened to Ajax since 1996.

Leeds
Newcastle
Liverpool

AC Milan

They still got 10 years

They're already irrelevant and I can't see how they could close the gap to the european top clubs ever again. It will get even wider in the next years.

bottomless chinese money and false accounting to conform to ffp

It must hit that "big" club status first

Leeds United

>Liverpool

Liverpool won the Champions League 11 years ago were in the CL final 9 years ago, and are still popular worldwide, although that's thanks to the fact that they play in England more than
anything else.

Won the CL 10 years ago and Serie A 5 years ago.

>and I can't see how they could close the gap to the european top clubs ever again.

They're actually pretty rich, the issue is spending effectively. They have more money than Atletico, which is more than enough to consistently finish in Serie A's top 3, and they may be getting new filthy-rich owners. Milan are a lot like Liverpool in the sense that there is a massive global fanbase to be exploited if somebody competent takes charge. Same goes for Inter, to a lesser extent.

Fail to meet big club status for a full generation. Then nobody under 30 remembers them being relevant.

Well bugger me then.

Stay in 2nd division for 5 years.

Besides what other anons said, you also need other teams to become "big clubs".
See Rangers, they literally died and started in the lowest division but they are still a big club in Scotland because no other club can be nearly considered big there.

If they havent won the league they arent a big club.

If they got american owners they arent a big club.

> If a club has an owner at all, it's not a club.

Ftfy

>Liverpool

No banter comment. If Klopp fails at Liverpool, I think they are finished as a big club. They have been awful for over a generation, but got lucky and got a top 8 manager into Anfield.

In his first year, they were 7th.
This year, they are making a run for top 4, but are competing with 5 other great teams for those spots.
If Klopp can not get them a semi consistent top 4, Pool stay at their recent 6-8th place finish, or Klopp leaves, I don't see how they will ever hire a top coach or get top players into the club again.

Again, no banter, but Poo rely on tactics to win matches. The quality of players is mediocre, except in relation to the scheme Klopp uses. If/when a general solution to his tactics is found, there is no ability to fall back on individual brilliance to win.

Summary: Klopp is the last chance for Poo to stay a big club.

Manure are also in a similar situation

I think monkey-kun is right, people still see AC Milan as a big club

Wrong.

In his first year they wer 8th btw.

Liverpool is more than likely to finish 2nd. They still have a decent chance of catching Chelsea, but at the same time could still fall to 4th. I can't see them any lower than that.

The players actually have quality, they were shit because they had extremely mediocre managers in Hodgson and Rodgers. Now we see players like Lovren, Milner, Henderson, Can, Countinho and Lallana -who were pretty shit a couple of years back- being quality since Klopp joined Liverpool.

The downfall came after a combination of many things:

1.- Rafa fucks up in last season + losing Xabi Alonso + previous owners not giving money for good replacements = average squad (Aquilani, N'Gog, Kirgyakos, Johnson)

2.- Bringing a shit manager like Hodgson that brings many shit players (Jovanovic, Konchesky, Cole, Poulsen) = Good players in the squad are surrounded by shit players, creating an awkward relationship in the club. Mascherano leaves.

3.- Torres leaves, only decent players left are Reina, Agger, Carragher and Gerrard.

4.- Bring Dalglish to save the team. New owners and new money. Dalglish makes some good signings in Suarez, Jose Enrique and Bellamy, that help bring some more quality to the squad, although it's still generally mediocre. They reach the League Cup and FA Cup finals, winning the latter.

5.- Sack Dalglish without reason, bring unexperienced mediocre manager like Brendan Rodgers. FSG put that retarded transfer committee. Rodgers is only allowed to sign young relatively cheap players. Some turn out to be good (Coutinho, Sturridge, Sakho, Can, Lallana, Firmino, Origi). Some others are shit (Borini, Assaidi, Moreno, Aspas, Manquillo, Balotelli).

6.- Mediocre manager + mediocre players = good players not performing as they could.

7.- Klopp comes, tells FSG to fuck off with their stupid policies and rules and starts signing whoever he wants, kicks shit players out = team immediately starts playing much better.

26 years vs 4 years since a title.
United still financially 1 of the top 3 in the world.
United still buying world class players.

United have 20 years without success until they are Poo.

What sort of memeing is this?
Liverpool make cup finals like every other year...

can you truly be a big club if you've never won your home league?

No; impossible to be considered if you've never won the league.

Don't forget that Lallana, Can & to a lesser extent Origi and Firmino were all playing much below average when Rogers was manager