Indie squad edition

Thread theme: youtube.com/watch?v=4Ec6dzraS4o

Previous thread: Reminder to be nice to Grimes c:

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hector_Berlioz#Student_life
instagram.com/trashique2/
youtube.com/watch?v=fNAKH4KdRY0)
rateyourmusic.com/collection/bigvegan/reviews
blog.siriusxm.com/2015/11/06/grimes-friends-take-over-siriusxmu-in-honor-of-art-angels-release/
youtube.com/watch?v=y-qB_Vu0WDY
youtube.com/watch?v=YSWwVYuqsVM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Is Grimes the modern day Beethoven?

Was wondering where you guys ran off to. Thread was dying.

There should always be a /grimes/ thread on /mu, grimepai

Yes.

(just posted this in the old thread)

Thanks. Just went to a record shop and bought Visions. They didn't have Art Angels, though. It's 120 degrees during the day where I live, so I'm too paranoid about vinyls warping during shipping to buy any online until summer is over.

no
no
yes
no

stop labeling people as "the next [insert notable historic figure]" it's an insult to the ability and talent of both the original artist and the current one

there will never be another beethoven
there will never be another grimes
they are their own people
they have their own artistries
shut the fuck up

Easy tiger. I agree minus the last sentence you wrote.

no, she is the modern day Mozart

Nope. Just modern day Grimes.

>it's an insult

damn user btfo those silly chumps

thank you

>73547215
Looks kinda spaced but that's probably the prettiest pic i've seen of her.

>tfw born just in time to witness the apotheosis of Grimes

Lol

Lol

+1

Tbh though, if you wanna see some pretty uncanny parallels between Grimes and a dead white guy who famously wrote music, go read about Hector Berlioz - specifically the portion of his life starting with his dropping out of med school at the age of 21 in order to pursue a career in music (despite a complete lack of formal training) to the start/completion of his single-most famous work (his 'Symphonie Fantastique') over the course of a six-week long opium binge.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hector_Berlioz#Student_life

Forget obligatory pic related.

Grimes but unironically

Just a friendly reminder that Laurel Halo's new album manages to sound quirky and spontaneous without the obnoxiousness of Art Angels. Dust just proves how much of a hack Grimes is.

>the obnoxiousness of Art Angels
>tfw grimes is literally too weird for you

There's a difference between being weird and acting like a child at the age of 29

>making music = acting like a child

Let her enjoy her last bit of youth

Did you listen to the album? She acts like she is a 12 year old teenager on it.

It's a shame really because she could've done something as cool as Visions but with more depth.
Yeah, true

let me rephrase that if you dont get
>making music you want to make = acting like a child
thats a stupid idea isnt it

>she could've done something as cool as Visions but with more depth.
that's exactly what Art Angels is
it's as cool as Visions, and has more depth

>it's as cool as Visions, and has more depth
where?

the production is more layered
it's more versatile

if 'deeper' means 'more dreamy' for you than it's certanly less deep than Visions, but that's just retarded

>the production is more layered
I'd say it is overcluttered with pointless things. Visions was built around very simple base and the minimal setting was what made her special. Her voice worked very well with that.
>it's more versatile
I don't hear it at all. She just moved onto standard radio dance pop tracks with cringier lyrics.

>I'd say it is overcluttered with pointless things
>tfw grimes is literally too weird for you

>She just moved onto standard radio dance pop
name another similar set of tracks like Art Angels if it's that standard
either way just because it's danceable doesnt mean it's not versatile

>I don't hear it at all.
you might have some problems

you're about to sleep and see this on your pillow
WHAT do??

Hana?

would ask her to stop obstructing grimes career with sjw nonsenses

Post titties.

what do you think?

threads are dying and others are created. the circle of life.

interesting. i think i should listen to that 'Symphonie Fantastique'.

>not cute

Is she finally ditching Hana coz she figured out she was a creative crutch? I havent seen them hang in awhile.

>overcluttered with pointless things
wtf? everything from her production serve a purpose. maybe her music is 2 complex 2 u.

>VALIDATE ME

>12 year old teenager
Troll logic yo

Numale: the thread

Sleep somewhere else. Wouldn't want to wake her and then get strangled by her hair like that girl in Mortal Kombat.

Uh... I think it's spelled Tiddies. Come on now, learn how to spell.

Keep your eyes on instagram.com/trashique2/ if you want to know.

There are so many more better tiddy pics. Why you guys keep using this is beyond me.

Visions as an album divides me. It's hard not to want to just gush about the brilliance of "Oblivion" in this space, as it's one of the more perfect pop songs of the past few years and contains a host of moments - the first entrance of the chorus, when the beat drops out totally and it's just Boucher's angelic, wordless vocals there for just half a second, the introduction of the sampled-vocal rhythmic counterpoint in the song's final minute - that are positively euphoric. It's an impossible high for an album to replicate again and again, but instead of making the rest of the record pale in comparison the rush from it carries over into the next few songs.

I think the thing that really sets "Oblivion" apart, though, is the composition - it's the most structured thing here, and Boucher falls into the relatively-popular tendency to drift aimlessly on a lot of the other tracks. It doesn't matter when the textures she creates are as gorgeous and full-bodied as they are on say, "Genesis," or even when the tracks are really short like the very funky "Eight," but "Vowels = Space and Time" sort of loiters, and pretty much every track on the back half commits the same offense. I imagine Grimes could churn up some hellacious noise or create one of the great atmospheric bliss-out records if she wanted to, but on Visions she's very much in love with the idea of pop, even if she doesn't commit to it enough on most of the tracks.

For me, the story on this album and its reception is "Promise mistaken for genius," which isn't the worst thing in the world - it's clear that this girl knows damn well what she's doing, and even if I'm not totally in love with her songwriting everywhere she swirls up some interesting textures throughout this record.

Exactly.

I don't know why people continue to hover around Visions, almost like it's the only album she's ever released. Shame really because most of her other stuff is far better IMO. Specially the unreleased stuff.

Visions is good, but it's not my favorite. I feel like people heap too much praise on it to the overshadowing of the others.

well, hana is a leech and a clinger-on. claire probably got wise to her.

You guys are out of your minds. Hana ain't bad and if you listen to that acid reign video where she has 3 tracks on it, she's good.

I don't think she's a clinger. I think you guys are being dicks unnecessarily. Plus she provides backup vocals for Claire when she can't deliver the goods on stage.

I like 'em both.

Grimes' first two albums were not all that engaging sonically, but they did have a distinct sound and personality. They were albums that had a sound and atmosphere that I could identify, and they did bring interesting ideas to the table. Her third album, "Visions", on the other hand, was more accessible and more engaging. It still did not let go of the distinct sound that her music had, and it was a much more intriguing listen, even in spite of a few potholes. If there is at least one album of hers that I do see myself enjoying, it's "Visions".

After "Visions", there were a few years of studio album silence. Grimes had made an album's worth of material that she threw away in that time, and she had also released the single "Go", that was produced by Blood Diamonds. The single made a majority of her fans be skeptical of what she was doing, saying that she had "sold out" and that she was now making pop music for the radio and everything else.

With "Art Angels", Grimes made her most accessible album yet, and all of these songs might get Grimes a lot of radio plays and even more buzz than before. I don't have a problem with Grimes getting more exposure, and with her coming with a more accessible album. She is a talented artist, and it is certainly good to know that more people are enjoying her works. However, I don't really enjoy "Art Angels", and that's due to how accessible it is.

I cannot really defend Grimes with this change of pace here. The songs here are insufferable, with only a few highlights. The album opens up really well with "Laughing and Not Being Normal", which is a more orchestral song here, complete with a beautiful and delicate string passage, and it is also complete with Grimes' delicate singing. The track then gets ugly and distorted, and the album's quality just takes a massive nosedive.

"California" follows this song, and God is it an obnoxious song. Its instrumental is an absolute mess. It sounds like Grimes stacked one different instrumental on top of another to form this one instrumental, and it sounds terrible. The lyrics are incredibly weak in this song too, and they are throughout the rest of the album. It's hard to find a moment of brilliance in this album's lyrics in general, as a matter of fact. And Grimes' vocal performance here is dreadful. The chorus of this song is a nightmare, as Grimes is just screaming California in the most obnoxious way possible.

Then we have "SCREAM", with the Taiwanese rapper Aristophanes. The production here is a mess, and this track is complete with these awful screams with don't add nothing to the song, and just make the track worse. The lyrics in this song seem to be quite sexual, and they're very primal and animalistic at times. It's definitively one of the most interesting moments in the entire track list lyrically, but sonically, it's not all that interesting.
"Flesh Without Blood" has a quite trashy instrumental behind it, and Grimes is sounding as faceless as ever, but, surprisingly enough, this is one of the best moments in the album lyrically. The lyrics of this album seem to detail this breakup situation with this person at first glance, but it actually goes deeper than that, I'd say, as this song seems to be all about the people that believe that Grimes has changed her style because of money and fame.

"Belly of the Beat" is just so forgettable and bland. Nothing interesting appears in this song, and it just reads off to me as being this piece of filler in the album. "Kill V. Maim" is an atrocity, and it's easily one of the most obnoxious songs in this album. The vocals are incredibly annoying here, and the instrumental here doesn't help as well. There is a nice instrumental change towards the end that is for sure interesting, but the rest of the song is a catastrophe, especially with the incredibly obnoxious hook.

We then get a series of forgettable and uninteresting songs, "Easily", "Pin", and the album's title track. However, after this series of bland songs, we get this album's best song, "Realiti". This song is incredibly beautiful and powerful. The instrumental in the album version feels more realized, more complete, and it is incredibly stunning. Grimes is not obnoxious at all vocally, and lyrically, this is a song that I also consider to be brilliant. It's an incredible moment in the album, that comes off as a necessary relief from all of the awful songs that came before this one.

Things get a majestic nosedive again with the eleventh song, "World Princess Part II", which is just so majestically obnoxious and sugary. This song has one of the worst instrumentals in the album, in my opinion, and Grimes' vocals don't help as well, as they seem to be as obnoxious as ever here.

"Venus Fly" lifts the track list up slightly. It's a hard-hitting moment in this album, and it is just so explosive and powerful. Janelle MonĂ¡e contributes to this song, and, even in spite of the lyrics here being not all that great, Janelle's delivery here does bring a lot of energy to the table, and that's what makes the song so enjoyable.

After a quick interlude that doesn't add up to the album in any way, we get "Butterfly", the album's last song, and one of the worst in the album, as well. The song feels like the perfect closer to the album, but it's still not a very good song, especially with its very bland instrumental and the lyrics. Grimes' singing here is tolerable, but again, this song is just so weak lyrically and instrumentally. It truly doesn't end the album in a high note.

Overall, Art Angels is a weak effort from Grimes, and it's an album that I don't recommend at all. However, I can see some people enjoying this album, especially fans of this more radio-friendly pop music, and that's the audience that I feel Grimes wanted to reach with this album. It's not an album that I particularly enjoy or recommend to anyone, but at least there is an audience for this album.

Best moments: Laughing and Not Being Normal, Realiti, Venus Fly

Worst moment: California

4.8/10

nigger

>However, I can see some people enjoying this album, especially fans of this more radio-friendly pop music, and that's the audience that I feel Grimes wanted to reach with this album.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEE
were no radio friendly normies here!!!

> studio album silence

She has never produced a studio album. All of these were made in her room. LOL.

Caroline Polachek > Grimes
What's the context of all these pictures with Caroline and Claire together?

I'll take a go at this since we're trying to be critical observers.

Geidi Primes

Her most experimental album. Second release in her discography. Extremely out there as far as what most people are used to hearing. Even though many complain of "muddy" or "noisy" sounding tracks. I find them endearing in their own way. It is on these earlier albums she cuts her teeth learning to produce.

The aesthetic of blending her beats, melodies and singing is immediately engaging. Each track offers a blend of intense undertones (Venus in Fleurs) and then playful (Gambang).

If you give it a chance, it will grow on you with subsequent listening. Songs like Beast Infection are endearing. While songs like Sardaukar Levenbrech offer a more asian inspired sound. All in all there is something for everyone on Geidi Primes.

Halfaxa

A personal favorite. The dark of night album, i'd call it. This album blends a dark, somber and rich undertone. Perfect for those who wander in the night.

From the first track Outer opens with a haunting, low and ethereal tone. Echoes in the dark i'd call it. This track lets you know what you're in for.

To contrast the first track, things seem more upbeat with Intor / Flowers and open with a playful almost jubilant tone.

Weregild, a personal favorite, starts off sonically assaulting the senses with screeches and distortion. But after this intro the track gets going as the pace is set. The bulk of the track is gloomy and dark like a spooky night in a haunted house. This is THE perfect track of 3am haunting and dancing with monsters. Bring this track out on Halloween.

1/2

user, I hate to disappoint you but no one here cares about your jealousy of Hana.

2/2

With Rasik we get into lower tones, bass is heavy here. Again, Claire goes with an ethereal asthetic. Lost in a fog of echoes.

In Sagrad we hear her express her vocal chops as she goes for some of those high notes. The middle bulk of the track is fast paced and more up beat.

Dragvandil takes us farther into the experimental realm of sonic chaos. More echoes, more darkness, more distortion of our reality. And a drum kick to keep it going. Midway through the track claire exhibits a playful tone. A good mix here.

In Devon we hear an ode to her previous love. More of a personal song that may or may not resonate with the audience. Otherwise a pleasant track to listen to.

Dream Fortress enters with some heavy violin played with some distortion... a decent pace keeps things moving. A rich blend of vocals, drumming and instrumental. A very airy song. A like summer when the sun sits low on the horizon.

World princess is more experimental sounding as sounds overlap and almost clash with each other. Things get going, however and keep us entertained so logn as we're interested in continuing the ride.

... Running out of room here.

3/2 (woops)

River is a playful and joyous track. A further expression of her vocal talent as the bulk of this track features her blending her vocal work over a rich melody.

Swan Song sounds like we're galloping along on horseback. Into battle are we? A lot of echoing and experimenting with just a hint of the ethereal void.

The oddly named track ~?~?~?~?~? seems to be nearly entirely experimental. Sounds like and reminds me of indian throat singing. (youtube.com/watch?v=fNAKH4KdRY0) with the clack of drums alike you'd hear in a tyco drum beat. Again, very experimental. Are your ears up for it?

My sister says the saddest things goes down a more somber pathway. Still faster paced and experimental.

Hallways goes further down the experimental hole... overlapping chaos unleashes in a sonic trip. All with the undertone of an ethereal, dark, chaotic vibe.

Favriel is probably the brightest track on the album. Finishing with a bang. Claire offers more of her vocal treatments in a rich and intoxicating song. Haunting as she works her magic on the audience. This song will captivate and spellbind.

come on dude are you serious?

PUSH IT
PUSH IT
PUSH IT
TRUE
SHRED
GUITAR

that's the fucking plebest review of this album tbch

Well, like i've said in all the other threads. People are entitled to their own opinion. You can agree/disagree with their view. If anything, it should be an opportunity for you to post your own review to counter this one that you don't like.

Dismissing reviews like this is what undermines threads like this and nullifies any credibility of having an intelligent discussion about her or her music.

Review of every single song makes me think that you don't even like pop music at all.

Also
>"Butterfly", the album's last song, and one of the worst in the album
> We then get a series of forgettable and uninteresting songs, "Easily", "Pin",
>"World Princess Part II", which is just so majestically obnoxious and sugary. This song has one of the worst instrumentals in the album
>"Kill V. Maim" is an atrocity, and it's easily one of the most obnoxious songs in this album.

Dude, just stop writing reviews of pop albums. Nobody will take you seriously with opinions like that.

rateyourmusic.com/collection/bigvegan/reviews
>mfw stereotypes about RYM users being pretentious hipster assholes (see the username in the url above) are proven true

Alright. Here we go...

>Grimes' first two albums were not all that engaging sonically
Are we seriously talking about the same artist's discography here? Pre-Visions Grimes records are great BECAUSE of how sonically (rather than lyrically) engaging they are. Hence why so many extremely musically literate people/professional musicians like me tend to hold her earlier records in such high regard.

>and that's due to how accessible it is.
>putting more weight on OTHER people's opinions of music than your OWN

>I cannot really defend Grimes
Oh, you most certainly could if you WANTED to. But since you clearly already made up your mind in advance to attack Grimes/her music based on outside influences (see paragraph above)...

blog.siriusxm.com/2015/11/06/grimes-friends-take-over-siriusxmu-in-honor-of-art-angels-release/
youtube.com/watch?v=y-qB_Vu0WDY

It depends on the listener. I thought for quite a long time that Visions is patchy - some great songs and filler. Then one day, it clicked: every single song sounded amazing to me. IMO this is really her masterpiece. "Drift aimlessly"? I highly doubt it. All songs are very focused and achieved their promise. Every song has its own identity - I could remember minute details about every song - and they fit the album perfectly. Visions is way more than Oblivion and Genesis; there are gems such as Circumambient, Vowels = Space and Time, Symphonia IX (what a song!), Be a Body, Know the Way, Nightmusic, Skin, Colour of Moonlight, etc. What is not lo love about this album? This is Grimes at her purest.

Better question: are you?

see
The quoted RYM "review" isn't a review of Art Angels. It's just an illustration of the author's limited sense of taste where particular types of music are concerned.

This.

>However, I don't really enjoy "Art Angels", and that's due to how accessible it is.
The problem is yours, buddy. She's a real artist, she does the kind of music she wants to make. If you dislike her latest album, well, bad luck for you. She can't please everyone and she doesn't want to repeat herself. If you were a true fan you would know that she unironically loves some mainstream pop. She thought it was the right time to make a more accessible album (but still weird, full of her trademark quirks) and she did it. Her music, her rules. You, I and everyone else are just visitors.

>Caroline Polachek > Grimes
Wrong. It's Grimes > Caroline Polachek. Chairlift's debut was weak, their second album was good and their third was a mess. Her solo album as Ramona Lisa was decent and her latest ambient stuff was really dull. All in all, Caroline is not on the same level as Grimes. Grimes is far better.

This. It's pretty clear that dude has zero attraction to pop and yet, he reviews one of the catchiest pop albums ever. That review is pathetic and a waste of time and words.

what an ugly bitch

Debut has grown on me, Something and Arcadia are boat better than Art Angels. Moth is a bit too poppy for me personally though.

for the love of god what is wrong with her face!

tfw i will never hav grimes feet in my face

i wonder how grimes' dick tastes desu

>Something and Arcadia are boat better than Art Angels.
No way.

Well no reasoning arguing for this in a grimes thread, but I really like Something, it has great synths and her vocal performance is simply top notch. Art Angels has a few amazing tracks but as a full album I rate Something just a little higher.

OK. It's just a matter of taste. I personally prefer Art Angels over anything by Chairlift.

>labeling people as "the next [insert notable historic figure]"
i hate this meme. it's so ignorant

yeah man

Bump

So what would you like Grimes' next album to sound like?

Silence.

Field recordings of farts.

Idk, I just hope it isn't country or metal. Also, Angel Olsen x Grimes when?

More screaming desu

pretty sound

Whose farts?

Dark techno with strong industrial vibes. Kinda like a demented Underworld mixed with NIN.

More like this: youtube.com/watch?v=YSWwVYuqsVM

I'd fuck the one on the left and maybe the one on the right but the one in the middle is fucking gross