youtube.com/watch?v=c0_yi2p6OgI
youtube.com/watch?v=pRRBkF7iqzc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>went with a friend to the 1st one
>got mildly disappointed yet still hopeful
>went solo to the 2nd one
>the fuck am I watching, why is it so painfully cringeworthy
>skipped the 3rd one

First one was garbage. Second one was also garbage, but I liked the scenes with Smaug. Never watched the 3rd one.

First one is OK.
Second one is bad.
Third one is garbage.

I don't wanna think about how bad it is so I stay in denial and feel like it's okay.

first was a rollercoaster from good scenes like the dwarves in bilbo's house and the bad like everything Azog. OG Smaug looked great though which gave hope.

second went in skeptical. Azog was still there which was terrible and barrel hopping and other shit was ridiculous.

third was painful to watch

>daily reminder that this scene was written, recorded and edited

youtube.com/watch?v=s-fSVZS2VyU

Pretty much this.

The first one still felt like an adaptation, not too great but watchable.
Half of the second one was just fan fiction.
Third one is basically a 3 hrs battle scene that failed to recreate the epicness of LOTR and it should have been part of the second movie.

Holy West, it's one the most idiotic scenes I've ever watched. It even beats the stupid scene from Pacific Rim where the giant robot punches through the building and slightly touches a Newton's cradle.
youtube.com/watch?v=SHTDlC_tetQ
And what is Gandalf even trying to achieve, shoot a fireball or what?

It's probably my second favorite movie trilogy of all time.

Decent

Why do people hate the second so much?

I thought it was alright.

I would, but I'm honestly not sure if I've seen them all.

>went in to theaters for the first one optimistically
>it was a 6/10 at the very most
>didnt see the second in theater after bad reviews

i wish you'd all just stop mentioning these films existence.

Okay, mediocre, fucking terrible.

My friend's best description:
>It's like eating at your favorite restaurant. But you have to order off the Kid's Menu

Never read the books and i think was great

The first is better that the entire LotR trilogy

same as LOTR
first one is good
the others are garbage action movies

the first is okay, until they leave bag end...then its all downhill from there.
youtube.com/watch?v=TijkFnT8D-U

Thought the first one was amazing, on par with LotR.

Second and third were meh.

Anyone know why they got increasingly more cartoony? The first one used real locations, the 3rd looked like Beowulf. Even Dain was fake.

But if you cut the movie up and throw away the bullshit, there's an actual adaptation of the hobbit in there, and it's pretty good.

Boring.

I liked Desolation of Smaug.

>implying any scene in Pacific Rim is bad

>comparing a 4 seconds side gag with a 30 seconds gag highlighted in slow-mo that bring conclusion to a minute long battle.
you're a faggot.

Great movies. Only basement dwelling virgins disagree. If Del toro would have directed it would have been garbage. Jackson saved it.

This is it in broad strokes.

The Bilbo/Gollum scene and the Bilbo/Smaug scene were really the only things that stuck out throughout the entire trilogy. Seeing the Shire again was cool too.

What video game is this?

no desire to rewatch it

Low tier b8 m8

definitive list

Can anyone remind me, when Legolas sees those bats, he says they're bred for one purpose. But I keep forgetting what it was. Any ideas?

>'Thin, sort of stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread.'

I usually let on they're utter shite but they're not well the first two aren't and the third has some redeeming moments.

A good fan edit may well already exist but I won't be interested in seeing any time soon.

What a waste.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUGH

Peter Jackson went the George Lucas route. Make great movies and then cash in on phoned in prequels years later.

LOTR were made for a certain niche of fans. You can feel the middle-earth lore and magic. And despite being for a certain nerdish fan, it was a hit for almost everyone.

The hobbit was intended to appeal to all masses, including children and it killed it.
Also:

Lotr:
>love
>dedication
>hardwork
>strict budget
>lots of pre-production time

the hobbit:
>gib me money easy and fast
>no pre-production
>comic reliefs
>bad writing
>bad pace

saw the first on opening night with 2 friends. cringed like hell, got really bummed, never bothered with the other 2

now LotR, there's a trilogy

I could spend all day picking apart The Hobbit trilogy. The bottom line is: they are bad movies, both on their own merits and as adaptations of a beloved novel. Awful, awful films, and an insult to fans of The Lord of the Rings.

youtube.com/watch?v=URmQXIeVpN8

the entire extended trilogy probably cant match the emotion in this scene.

i still tear up when i watch it fully on the teev

It had some good moments, especially in the first two. But just too fucking long overall, and I feel blue-balled by the idea of a single film directed by Guillermo del Toro with a completely different art design to LotR.

I unironically enjoyed the dinner scene at the beginning, thought most Smaug scenes in the mountain were pretty good, and the Gollum scene was pretty good if cheesy/childish.

That's pretty good.

COMPREHENSIVE LIST OF GOOD SCENES IN THE HOBBIT MOVIES

>An Unexpected Journey
Beginning flashback
Shire scene
Arrival of the Dwarves
Misty Mountains song
Bilbo joining the party
Azanulbizar flashback
Stuff with the trolls
Gandalf talking to Galadriel about Bilbo
Bofur saying goodbye to Bilbo
Riddles in the Dark
Thorin and Bilbo reconciling (good scene even if it completely fucked their relationship's arc)

>Desolation of Smaug
Beorn
Bilbo showing actual character development when he goes apeshit on the spiders
Thorin being sassy to Thranduil
Bilbo rescuing the Dwarves
Bard
Bilbo finding the entrance to the mountain
Smaug's interactions with Bilbo
Thorin and Smaug arguing until the stupid shit with the gold statue

>BotFA
First 20 minutes or so until Smaug dies
Thorin going bonkers
THE FUCKING ACORN SCENE HOLY SHIT THIS WAS LOTR-TIER BEST SCENE IN THE TRILOGY THANK YOU BASED JACKSON IT ALMOST MADE THIS HORRIBLE MOVIE WORTH IT
Dáin was kind of fun
Bard's militia fighting the orcs
Beorn wrecking fools in the extended edition
Thorin's death scene was
Gandalf saying goodbye to Bilbo

Anything I missed?

I think this came close

youtube.com/watch?v=c0_yi2p6OgI

It really exemplified what the Hobbit movies *should* have been about. The little guy making his way through a big adventure and retaining his sense of appreciation for the smaller things in life.

Awful movies, especially the third one, but this scene was great.

Why can trolls in BotFA suddenly withstand sunlight without turning into stone?

I've legitimately never thought about how retarded this is. Huh.

I had high hopes during the first one. Only really had a problem with the goblin king not having his guts spill out when his stomach was sliced open.

youtube.com/watch?v=pRRBkF7iqzc

Hated the next two. 3/10 overall.

pretty spot on my dude

This was exactly my experience. I should have known better with the second one.

First one was boring as fuck. Didn't even like the LotR movies and was still disappointed by this.

Second one was even dumber (barrels) but at the same time more entertaining and didn't feel like it was 4 hours long.

Didn't watch the third one and don't intend to.

it went from mediocre to bad to unfuckingbelievably terrible.
the soundtrack was all right at least so that's a single positive out of it.

The first one was pretty good, it felt exactly how I I imagined a Hobbit movie would be.

Second one was alright until Legolas and Tauriel turned up then it all went downhill. The Bilbo/Smaug scene was the best moment of the film.

Third one was dog shit. Too much focus on the Elves instead of the Dwarves, the god awful romance subplot, the CGI shitfest.

I blame the studio for not giving Pete more time and Del Toro for dropping it half way through pre-production the Dago cunt.

I liked the first two.

If you would count it as separate from Thorin's death, this scene was probably my favorite from the whole trilogy. And it's just them sitting down after all the shit's finally over.

Only right list, mainly because 2 and 3 could've been merged together easily, and it still wouldn't be as good as the first.

On another note, I'd rather have just one 3-4 hour Hobbit movie, would work as a great warm-up for lotr marathons.

that's what the bats are for, idiot

>acorn scene
Fuck I loved that scene, felt so warm and so serious. Really wish Jackson had taken the movies more seriously. In lotr there's a pretty serious tone, then you have a few funny scenes with Legolas and Gimli, and the two hobbits.
Feel like almost every scene in the Hobbit tries to be quirky and funny.

Also the CGI killed it for me, this trilogy really did a Lucas and overused it.

>LOTR were made for a certain niche of fans.

No it wasn't. The films are completely different to the books.

Exactly the same for me, I cut my losses

>The films are completely different to the books.
You're really over exaggerating. The only changes were minor aside from the scourging of the shire and were mostly put in place for convenience or budget reasons. Sure, some minor changes were here and there but it wasn't "completely different".

LOTR was a massive risk when it was made, since fantasy movies for adults wasn't a thing

what the fuck is this

I... wow

first- decent fantasy action flick. a letdown if you were expecting either a follow up to lotr or even a decent hobbit adaption. riddles in the dark is the highlight of the entire trilogy.

second - higher highs (other than riddles) and much lower lows. Overall a better movie but also adds some incredibly stupid shit and has some terribly cartoony action and cgi.

third - disappointment all around. never found the right tone. never fun, never poignant. just messy and a bore.

This, word for word.

>Go north. Find the Dunedain. There’s a young ranger amongst them. You should meet him. His father Arathorn was a good friend. His son might grow to be a great one. He is known in the wild as Strider. His true name... you must discover for yourself. Legolas! Your mother loved you.