Why aren't the Smiths more popular?

Why aren't the Smiths more popular?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nuAOcuLJR7I
twitter.com/AnonBabble

i don't really see how they could possibly be more popular, they're pretty much a household name, everyone knows them
although i guess it depends where you live

with the older hipster generations they are still known.
most kids don't care for them because morrissey is gay and unapproachable.
couple of tumblr movies tried gaining them some attention but that didn't last long.
yeah they are. but most teens/kids don't namedrop them as much as JD meme t-shirt or dad rock bands.

Not enough nu-males in this world

Wait, is it bad to like TheSmiths?

Only if you only like them for Morrissey, he's not even the best second best member, Andy Rourke and Johnny Marr are insanely good musicians. Liking Morrissey isn't bad either, he's a great lyricist, but Rourke and Marr are heads and shoulders above him.

They're insanely popular considering they were only together for a little over 5 years, and that their last album was released 30 years ago.

I don't even give a shit if they're called The Smiths, having a new album with Morrissey, Marr and Rourke would be phenomenal.

Name one band who reformed after decades to make a phenomenal album

easy. ATCQ.

Because they have a reputation of being depressing and a lot of people just think it's some gay thing

That's what I remember before they became my fav band

I don't know where you live, but in my high school more kids liked the Smiths than Joy Division. Then again, 99% of them had no idea who either of them were.

the Beatles

You try and market Morrissey to a mainstream crowd without him offending 80% of the population.

The reason Britpop was as popular as it was is because it was essentially based on the Smiths' sound minus Morrissey's image, because wishing the Queen to keel over and telling almost every other musician to go fuck themselves isn't appealing to the majority of the general public.

How did Oasis succeed then

youtube.com/watch?v=nuAOcuLJR7I

Nah, it was just mental tunes m8.

Like 18 years but yeah thats a good one

Because they mainly just insulted each other and people knew they were usually high or drunk, so no one took them seriously. It helped that they just played pop music.

The Smiths were a "high-brow" band that was notoriously sober. Plus, people will be less offended by Noel and Liam knocking each other and other bands in playful jest than by Morrissey saying "Her very Lowness with her head in a sling / I'm truly sorry, but that sounds like a wonderful thing."
Basically, everyone knew Oasis was just a bunch of stupid lads giving some banter, while the Smiths were deathly serious with what they did.

is there a better compilation than this?

The fuck are you talking about? They get radio play.

literally everyone knows them and morrisey, what are you actually talking about ?

the Beatles