ITT: Post specifics of a language that really grind your gears

ITT: Post specifics of a language that really grind your gears

genders, especially with particular articles associated with them. many a language (including dutch). retarded.

the random plural forms for masculine nouns in German

there their they're
a an
-s 's

In Dutch:
-d -t -dt -dd -tt

Literally for what purpose.

>tones in any language
>genders & the resulting conjugation shitstorm in German
>faggy neologisms in English
>Thai orthography
>Japanese orthography
>lack of cases with abstract meanings and the resulting overloading of 3D cases in Finnish
>"funny" redneck neologisms in Finnish

We use genders aswell, and i get why foreigners can have a hard time with that
>a an
thats just because saying "a elephant" sounds worse than "an elephant", and it would sound even worse if noun started with A
In spain we have "y e" for and. if the thing after "and" starts with "i" we use "e" for and
just phonetic stuff i guess

>pronounce
>pronunciation

the word suspect changing meaning depending on the intonation

SUSpect vs susPECT

what is this, fucking mandarin?

Anglos saying picturesque instead of pittoresque.

wat

SUSpect is the noun
susSPECT is the been

Fucking autocorrect.

Verb not been

>phoneposter

English, many things like Leicester and Greenwich are not pronounced as they should (wtf?)

The difference between the verbs "ser" and "estar" in both spanish and portuguese. I think we are the only languages to have it.

i just thought about it and it makes sense
but why not make a small difference in the word? We spanish for example have different rules of where to use the tilde ´ to make the reader 100% sure of syllable intonation, and thats one of the reasons Spanish is always read the way its spoken, and written the way its read

Odd. I've thought I'm pretty fluent in English for years, but I've never noticed this difference

How is this relevant anyway, apart from accent? Verbs vs. nouns are determined by grammar anyway, so in most sentences there won't be room for misunderstanding no matter how you stress the word

The difference is barely noticeable.

it's funny because the vid is old as shit and popped up in my suggestions earlier and I see it here

Is it numberphile? They like writing shit down on that paper

The way two-digit numbers are formed in German: the ones are said before the tens.
26 = sechsundzwanzig (six and twenty)
392 = dreihundertzweiundneunzig (three hundred, two and ninety)
This is also a thing in Sanskrit.

yep

Because of accents & the empire

They can't even make everyone on the same island speak with the same accent, so no matter what consistent orthography you come up with, it'll be inconsistent in some area within minutes

German verbs+conjugations
>traumen+von(dat)
>denken+an(akk)
which render verbs useless, unless you learn their preposition AND their case.

English idioms
>hit up
literally retarded

Spanish
habría vs hubiera

arabic
conjugating verbs at the start/start+end of the word

Afrikaans as a language, while in reality it is a dialect of a dialect of german, but >muh nationalism

French pronunciation. En enfant sounds horrible.

Anything over 7 grammatical cases, except finnish since it has a simple pronunciation

I recall hearing that giving the time in russian has a retarded system.

Dutch is older than German.

never struggled with that

even the gender plurals were not that hard to learn, there are irregular plurals tables on the net, same for word genders, there are repeating patterns and few exceptions

no really what fucks my brain with german is Dativ (ich kaufe einem x einen x), can't fucking wrap my head around it

irregularities in phonetic sounds
through tough thorough thought though
fuck you england

We also do that in Dutch. It's really annoying when you write along with someone.

Italian sort of has it in the south, I believe.

someone voocaroo this shit

Anglo inbreeding t.b.h.

> Dativ
Latin "dare" = to give
dative object = recipient
pretty straightforward

It's simpler if you know that it's pronounced Leices-ter, with weird keltic accent. It's still weird, but it makes a bit more sense.

Worcestershire = Worces-ter-shire

>Leicester have you been a bad boy

>das madchen
>das
i knew that girls in germany aren't pretty but still..

>En enfant
"un enfant" you mean, no?

Diminutives are always neutral.

>ich kaufe einem x einen x

I've never felt this to be difficult, it's just some cases that specify the roles of the words in the sentence.

What I can't fucking accept though is that nouns have arbitrary genders and the conjugations depend on them; this is just dead weight with _zero_ semantic value whatsoever, the grammatical equivalent of a passive-aggressive bureaucrat making you fill in all forms in triplicate because he can and then refusing your application and dragging you blood-faced and dishonoured down the airplane's aisle because after all you've put up with, he's still entitled to do that as well

t. Finn

It's actually quite simple

Leicester > Le'ester > Lester

Worcestershire > Wor'estershire > Wostershire

It's a common thing in British English to leave ou' the glo'als

Haverhill
Cholmondeley

Not in Bavarian though

>Der Wiggerl

its diminutive from what?
also thanks for explanation i've asked a german about that before and he didnt knew why it was like that

Die Magd/die Maid

> Bavarian
who cares?

Low German uses a feminine word for "Mädchen" btw: "Deern", related to English "dear".

The fact that this is a word in Nuxalk:

xłp̓χʷłtłpłłskʷc̓
Pronounced: [xɬpʼχʷɬtʰɬpʰɬːskʷʰt͡sʼ]

How is that even humanly possible?

> he didnt knew why it was like that
Many Germans don't really care about the German language.

How is that pronounced?

like dee-anne?

or deh-anne?

do you have other word for "a girl"
given that he is a half croat its probably even worse with him

It's a long e like the French é, so it's pretty much the latter one.

das madchen

i lost my shit when i learned 'grill' is neuter

at

Not in new high german, no. Dirn/Deandl persists in many dialects though. Fräulein might serve as a substitute for young women (simular to Miss in English)

*Mädchen
or "Maedchen" if you can't write ä because umlaut letters are actually ligatures of the respective vowels and e.

how the fuck does a language not have a word for a girl that's just that not dimiunitive or some derivation of other words
how,how does that happens

Neither Maid nor Dirn are diminuitives, they just fell out of use in the 19th century.

It just happens. The Latin word for "girl" is just derived from the word for "boy/child" as well.

digits though
but how do they fall out of use
there are girls always

"Dirn/Dirne" didn't fall out of use, it just means "prostitute" today.

Yes, seriously.

should i be suprised :^)

In Dutch a lot of words only exist in the diminutive form.
Cookie is a Dutch loanword where it also happened.

Meisje (girley) = girl
ijsje (icey) = ice cream

Consider the word "polish"

In english, if I say POlish, it means someone from Poland.

If I say polISH, it means a cleaning method.

Really makes u think

Weird on mine too when I never watched a single of his video before
The jews are up to something.

The letter ь in Russian is useless.

praatje = small talk
toetje = desert
vriendje = boyfriend

it makes an n nj
its a softening sign

Fell out of use for girls, duh. Magd is still used for female farmhands and Dirndl is also used for Bavarian costume dresses.

*dessert

miagkij znak has uses
the other one - twerdyj znak is the useless one

how does a hard sign looks like?

ъ

also fucking ё
no idea why modern russians omit the dots.

in Afrikaans we add "tjie" at the end of a word to show that's is a smaller version of itself, but some words like "mantjie" already end with a "tjie", so a smaller version of that would be "mantjiejie" which is fucking dumb

Our usage of diminutives is quite excessive though.
In Dutch nobody would notice it if you said:

I have a roomie in a housie where we have a drinkie and a bitie at a tablie with my matie.

double negative, e.g. "i didn't see nobody", "i haven't never been to china", etc

it's super illogical

after learning english and speaking it a lot, it's starting to fuck with my brain

In Dutch it's: mannetje

Or in Flemish: manneke

ё
i always thought thats the same like the czech horned e

Or do you mean basket? Mantje?

Low German uses -ke as well, High German -chen

ahah that's funny

i mean basket

regular e in russian makes "yeh" sound
ё makes "jo" sound.

But nowadays dumb cunts omit the dots and just pronounced "yoh" where it should be.

makes no sense

Same with suffix -Eгo (-ego) being pronounced "yeva"
How the fuck?

We tend to do it less than you guys because we acknoweldge that it's pretty gay

its probably easier to pronounce it like that so it stuck with the people

Using double negatives is indicative of poor education, don't trust anyone who does it.

I won't trust no one who does it

Funny, feels like only blacks talk like that

It would work without articles desu

What's so bad about that? We do that too.

This, too.

Not really. It's only a problem when people say something else than what they mean.
I studied law. And our legal books are filled with them.

j'ai baisé ta mère

In Dutch we use dan.

In English you have than and then. Totally pointless. You don't even hear the difference.

than is to compare
then is an adjective/adverb used for time
different meanings

STOP
I'm extremely suspicious about this kind of things.
Makes me nervous.

Anyone have the full pic that goes through how different languages say numbers and french looks like autism?

they're watching you
they're hearing you
can't succ the zucc

>tfw I've always thought the correct word was pintoresque.

>ae if you can't write ä because umlaut

Oh fuck, this, Germans making autistic screeching sounds if someone dares spell ä/ö them with a/o instead of the kraut-approved ae/oe

It's just a fucking letter, some keyboards don't have it, stop obsessing over trivial shit Hans

English pronunciation in general.
>Write 'like'
>Have to pronounce 'laik'

Cases.

And I don't mean cases like in Finnish or Estonian which is barely more than just sticking words together.

I'm talking cancer like in Russian where a word ending changes even if it's completely unnecessary because you still have a preposition.

It feels like it's there just so people can flip words around even if that's also not necessary.

English has a thing where if a word is both a noun and a verb, the noun will have stress on the first syllable (i.e. a CONvict is a prisoner) while the verb will have stress of the second syllable (i.e. to conVICT someone).

Thank you, finally a logical explanation