/classical/

Early new edition (because no one likes to post after 300)

>General Folder #1. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical. Also contains a folder of live recordings/recitals by some outstanding performers.
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General Folder #2. Mostly Romantic up to 20th century/modern, but also includes recordings of music by Bach, Mozart and others
mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
>General Folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>General Folder #4. Renaissance up to early/mid-20th century. Also contains a folder of Scarlatti sonate and another live recording/recital folder.
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
>General Folder #5. Renaissance up to late 19th century
mega.co.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
>General Folder #6. Very eclectic mix
mega.co.nz/#F!O8pj1ZiL!mAfQOneAAMlDlrgkqvzfEg
>General Folder #7. Too lazy to write up a description for this, but it has a little of everything
mega.nz/#F!pWR0zABY!xCwF1rEfXiyEy5HuhTDP0Q
>General Folder #8. The beautiful, elegant, intelligent user who made this, added a little of everything in here. There's a lot of Deutsche Gramophone recordings too.
mega.nz/#F!DlRSjQaS!SzxR-CUyK4AYPknI1LYgdg
>Renaissance Folder #1. Mass settings
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
>Renaissance Folder #2. Motets and madrigals (plus Leiden choirbooks)
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
>Debussy. There is an accompanying chart, available on request.
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Opera Folder. Contains recorded video productions of about 10 well-known operas, with a bias towards late Romantic
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw
>Random assortment of books on music theory and composition, music history etc.
mega.nz/#F!HsAVXT5C!AoFKwCXr4PJnrNg5KzDJjw

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=m7sFQuWX2pE
youtube.com/watch?v=5QX-rSLkQRQ
youtube.com/watch?v=NrYTS1nAFJc
youtu.be/MIGbh_TMH5Y?t=378
youtube.com/watch?v=DgjBVNxoycE
youtube.com/watch?v=Mh4jfyvuy1o
youtube.com/watch?v=HPZWsfv9J1o
youtube.com/watch?v=q6U8AqRNyU8
youtube.com/watch?v=4mNZODlbq2U
youtube.com/watch?v=aPZ-Cflb38Q
youtube.com/watch?v=J6VxIIJWlyU
youtube.com/watch?v=KI04gcrVVYE
youtube.com/watch?v=0icMbH7vN5I
youtube.com/watch?v=DYriC3gm2yI
youtube.com/watch?v=s3y79z3Uxb4
youtu.be/rRP7nJh6Fcw?t=2371
youtube.com/watch?v=OaaXVwAZLro
youtube.com/watch?v=jagJ5dUqgGk
youtube.com/watch?v=_WAvvRHnA_k
youtube.com/watch?v=y44T-hmFGvo
youtube.com/watch?v=Ozn4C3AmEi0
youtube.com/watch?v=2YAzUC6LzNk
youtube.com/watch?v=pSfcE3HH7dk
youtube.com/watch?v=_weEGDmtpSI
youtube.com/watch?v=X4LqEnF1TiA
youtube.com/watch?v=6bf-Cpw8oJc
youtube.com/watch?v=9rDGc69FQcY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Stravinsky visited this thread.
youtube.com/watch?v=m7sFQuWX2pE

anyone?

i like the mellower sound of this instrument but why does he have to play with such over Romantic feel

Yeah its just a shiity ripoff of Paganini

>go into music theory with no prior knowledge
>admire music theoryfags like they're wizards, aspire to be them
>but secretly begin to suspect they're all retards memorizing secondary and tertiary theory that doesn't touch the essence of a real PHILOSOPHY of music
>ask them all the time about actual "philosophy of music"
>they get confused and cite pop cogsci garbage at best
>50% of them really only memorise correctthink opinions about the historical progression of compositional forms
>the other 50% learns the basics of that stuff and then spends the rest of their life being Boss Hipster of some Sup Forums clique, basically using his $150,000 education to talk about contemporary admixtures of pop filth
>not a drop of music philosophy or ontology among them
>go to philosophers who aren't primarily musicologists and who don't give a fuck about "Music Theory: The Guild of Hipster Faggots"
>immediately find a wealth of insight
>tfw reading 4 or 5 books by non-musicologists immediately makes me better at understanding music than an entire education in musicology
>tfw a minimum of theory and ad hoc research is all you need to understand the primordial depths of any composer
>tfw part of a small elite who actually enjoy music, while everyone who thinks they "enjoy music" is actually only accessing 10% of it
>tfw i try to educate my musicologist chums about my discovery
>tfw they don't understand, too retarded, just keep talking about how chainsmokers' third producer is mixing latin folk beats into their newest prolefeed album

Enough talk about meme performances

What's your favorite performance from the past 5 years?

I'm thinking for my amusement to transpose popular coloratura soprano arias to a bass-baritone voice, but it seems like a lot of effort and it might not even be as funny as I imagine.

the titty fuck your mom gave me last week was definitely up there

is there any kind of 'road map' for learning the piano? what are the Sup Forums approved books for this

Anyone have this? Pls upload

do it

Man French is such a gay language

interesting. what are some good books to read user?

Hi /classical/, I'm looking for some imposing/brooding music similar to this: youtube.com/watch?v=5QX-rSLkQRQ
I know film music is pleb-tier but it's just an example of the mood. Any suggestions?

sniff around some concertos, take your pick: brahms, beethoeven, etc

Overrated

Twinkle Twinkle Little Star -> Goldberg Variation 2 -> Hammerklavier

youtube.com/watch?v=NrYTS1nAFJc
youtu.be/MIGbh_TMH5Y?t=378
Can't decide whether piano or harpsichord is better

More like Gustanza kek
Please enlighten me.

shes not that good.

based gustanza

it's on soulseek

Good thing we don't have to choose.

I like some harpsichords. Others make my ears bleed.

>“I want to remove the notion that classical music is just something for rich educated people,” she says. “It’s not. You don’t have to be educated to enjoy classical music, you get educated by listening to it.”

hogwash

Essential Brahms? Liked Symphony no. 3.

his concertos

>not liking Dopper
youtube.com/watch?v=DgjBVNxoycE

Why is he so unknown, Sup Forums?

the rich educated people have the worst taste anyway

What are the rules for harmonizing a tone row?

Handel variations are pretty great

Just flip your tone row lol

apologize now

not a big fan of classical here, but Mahler is definitely my favourite composer. I only know a few works by him, his 1st, 2nd, 5th and 9th symphonies. what should I listen to now?

the rest of his symphonies if you want.

then try Bruckner's symphonies if you want more long/counterpoint-heavy symphonic works
youtube.com/watch?v=Mh4jfyvuy1o

then try some Zemlinsky and Berg, two composers who were influenced by him quite a bit.

youtube.com/watch?v=HPZWsfv9J1o
youtube.com/watch?v=q6U8AqRNyU8

>the rest of his symphonies if you want
any particular order? what about non symphonic works?
thanks for the links, I'll give it a listen

you can listen to them in any order, but obviously chronological would give you a better sense of the development there.

his lieder are pretty good as well, i prefer them on the piano when it's available. Das Lied and Kindertotenlieder are symphonic-only, though.

3rd, 6th, 8th, Das Lied von der Erde, Kindertotenlieder
By R. Strauss, listen to Also Sprach Zarathustra, Death and Transfiguration, Metamorphosen, Alpine Symphony, Don Juan, Four Last Songs

you can pick up all of his discography in the second mega link in op

Listen to every interpretation of his 9th over and over desu

Organ works

>Metamorphosen
>Four Last Songs
Specially these two. So good.

Other three symphonies, requiem, quintets and quartets

Why is that people always say this without providing any links to their supposedly brilliant sources of knowledge?

because he's an autistic weeb that's fishing for (you)s by trying to out-hipster the hipsters

Is there a better volumic work than Bartók's Mikrokosmos?

peter laul's beethoven "cycle"

You know what I don't understand? Martha Argerich is a very prolific recording artist, yet she has only recorded the Rachmaninoff piano concerto No. 3. Why hasn't she recorded the whole 4 pieces? I would love to have a Martha Argerich Rachmaninoff collection of all the pieces, that would be ideal. She can still record and do concerts, yet after all these years she still hasn't done it. She also hasn't done the Chopin Nocturnes. We have Rubinstein for that, at least. Maybe she feels that there's no reason to record another version of the Concertos, seeing as there's already many good interpretations and one recorded by Rachmaninoff himself.

Dante Quartet

>I would love to have a Martha Argerich Rachmaninoff collection of all the pieces, that would be ideal.
hey reddit

Yikes.

Cello sonata in Em

His 6th and his piano quartet.

Petzold

imagine being this stupid

What now?

So I'm getting really into string quartets, and some time ago someone suggested I start with the Haydns, the Beethovens, and the Mozarts.

Thing is, I've never really been a fan of Mozart, as his stuff tends to be too consonant and "merry" for my tastes. Did Mozart actually contribute that much to the genre? Should I actually get all of his quartets or just the "Haydn quartets" or what?

yes, even if they aren't as good as his quintets, Mozart contributed a lot. Schoenberg, for instance, said he learned everything about Quartet writing from him.

get the Haydn Quartets, the Hoffmeister, and all the Prussians

if you don't like Mozart at his super cheery, i suppose you can stick to the D minor (K. 421)

seriously consider listening to his Quintets, though. in my opinion it's Mozart chamber at its best:
youtube.com/watch?v=4mNZODlbq2U

What does /classical/ think of collection related
youtube.com/watch?v=aPZ-Cflb38Q

youtube.com/watch?v=J6VxIIJWlyU
youtube.com/watch?v=KI04gcrVVYE

>I've never really been a fan of Mozart, as his stuff tends to be too consonant and "merry" for my tastes
You'll never make it. Have these as a consolation.
youtube.com/watch?v=0icMbH7vN5I
youtube.com/watch?v=DYriC3gm2yI
youtube.com/watch?v=s3y79z3Uxb4

I'm pretty sure I could listen to Hans Keller explain his morning shit and I would still find it soothing to listen to.

can't listen to aesthetic tunes without an aesthetic physique

this looks good, specially for the chamber arrangement of prelude

anyone has it?

This is such garbage

Can somebody recommend me music similar to Beethoven's Grand Fugue, op. 133? Or anything "contemporary" sounding that's from the Classical era or earlier.

christ his hair is so dumb

String Quartets of Bartók come to mind

You want more fugues
youtu.be/rRP7nJh6Fcw?t=2371
youtube.com/watch?v=OaaXVwAZLro
youtube.com/watch?v=jagJ5dUqgGk

>not a big fan of classical here, but Mahler is definitely my favourite composer

You repeat yourself, sir.

Mozart (fptmiu)

youtube.com/watch?v=_WAvvRHnA_k

>B*g
>harder than Twinkle Twinkle Little Star

Better than the Orff version but both are good.

I've only heard a few opera, some solo piano works, and obvious symphonies so I'm all open for essentials.
What's something that sounds this 'good' that isn't required to be played in the most homoerotic fashion possible?

>What's something that sounds this 'good' that isn't required to be played in the most homoerotic fashion possible?
I have no idea what you mean by this, but if you want more romantic piano concerti, then try Grieg and Saint-Saens.

youtube.com/watch?v=y44T-hmFGvo
youtube.com/watch?v=Ozn4C3AmEi0

I can go back and listen to it from the beginning taking notes as I go along, but I have no idea which language to use in those notes not knowing much more than basic harmonic analysis and still getting confused by transposing instruments.
It reminds me of the more 'avant-garde' jazz pieces where the piano constitutes a build and release of tension rather than a mere chordal framework, which of course means that as jazz progresses it merely rips off a newer generation of art music.
But this doesn't explain at all why I find Liszt more interesting than what little other music I've heard, so those essentials would help, with preferably a book explaining them,

Why does this make me stupid? I really like Martha Argerich's work. I've never heard better recordings of the Prokofiev paino concertos.

Cause Rach is shit

Start with Shostakovich 8, then move on to the rest of Shostakovich's. Try Janacek's as well.

youtube.com/watch?v=2YAzUC6LzNk

Give us your favourite C minor pieces.

Where to cop out of print records besides ebay?

How the hell is Rachmaninoff shit? I'm sorry, I didn't realize I was dealing with those of shit taste.

it's just the /classical/ bandwagon against Rach, Tchai, and Chopin.

What nonsense. Especially Chopin. The Nocturnes are some of the most special pieces of music to me in the world.

>Chopin.

chopin isn't even a composer

*awkwardly glissandos into desired key*

Ravel's quartet in F is nice.

Thanks guise

>comp professor references Marx
>call him a commie and walk out

Don't like Schoenberg much either, but point taken. Got an opinion on the Berg recording of those quartets?

Actually, the Shosta's are what got me into the genre. I was asking more about having more complete insight into the genre than just more stuff that I might like.

Well, I can't ignore those quads

op. 133 fugue orchestration by furtwängler
youtube.com/watch?v=pSfcE3HH7dk

another orchestration by donhnanyi
youtube.com/watch?v=_weEGDmtpSI

hammerklavier fugue orchestration by weingartner
youtube.com/watch?v=X4LqEnF1TiA

> Nietzsche had suggested such an orchestration:
> In the lives of great artists, there are unfortunate contingencies which, for example, force the painter to sketch his most significant picture as only a fleeting thought, or which forced Beethoven to leave us only the unsatisfying piano reduction of a symphony in certain great piano sonatas (the great B flat major). In such cases, the artist coming after should try to correct the great men's lives after the fact; for example, a master of all orchestral effects would do so by restoring to life the symphony that had suffered an apparent pianistic death.

oops. meant to respond to

Got an opinion on the Berg Quartet recording of the Hadyns the Hoffmeister and the Prussians?

Hagen is good too
Mosaiques for period instruments if you want that

Daquin

youtube.com/watch?v=6bf-Cpw8oJc

youtube.com/watch?v=9rDGc69FQcY

Joseph Marx

What's your favorite Janacek recording, Anons?