/noise/: Post Your Gear Edition

Here are the essentials
Also of note:
>The Rita - Thousands of Dead Gods
>The Goslings - Grandeur of Hair
>Adult Swim's NOISE comp. (pleb but listenable)
>WOLD - Screech Owl
>Coil - Constant Shallowness Leads To Evil
>V/A - Extreme Music From Japan
>V/A - World Record
>Deathpile - G.R.

Noteworthy Merzbow:
>Tauromachine
>Venereology
>Door Open at 8am
>A Perfect Pain (with Genesis P-Orridge of TG)
>OM Electrique (disc one of the Merzbox, listen to the rest if you're an absolute madman)
>Electric Salad
>Space Metallizer
>Noisembryo (be sure to read up on the Merzcar)
>Music for Bondage Performance (1 & 2)
>Pinkream
>Hole
>Hybrid Noisebloom
>1930
>Pulse Demon (duh)
>Merzbient
>Multiplication (with John Wiese of Sissy Spacek)
>Batztoutai with Memorial Gadgets
Amlux and Merzbeat suck but are easy to get into, other digital-era crap includes Dharma, SCSI Duck, Merzbird, etc... None of them are very good, but obviously form your own opinions of them, this is just the general consensus.
All the Merzbowris collabs are good and listenable
It's worth looking into the discographies of every artist mentioned, as well as
>Aube
>Puce Mary
>Taint
>Händer Som Vårdar
>Whitehouse
>Consumer Electronics
>Vampire Belt (noise rock)
>Esplendor Geométrico
>Winterkälte
>Toshimaru Nakamura
>Ramleh
>Kyioshi Mizutani
>Eric Lunde
>Hanatarash
>Incapacitants

Sufjan Stevens made a noise song one time, it's a good example of noise without the nuance of an artist who's a noise artist by trade.
A couple of the above artists aren't strictly noise (some err musique concrete or other subgenres), but they typically share fans.
Don't post noise rock unless it's genuinely more noise than rock.
Album/artist/label suggestions for the pasta are welcome.

Now that that's out of the way, no entry-level noise below this point.

And lastly, only plebs EXCLUSIVELY /merzbowworship/, but only contrarians NEVER /merzbowworship/
Happy noiseposting.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Hv1VQL4zTKc
youtube.com/watch?v=wNgPvVPGyf0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

If anybody here makes their own noise, would you please post about your gear? Maybe a photo? I finally got a mixing board/contact mic, so any noise prod advice/forums you have would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I'd like to update the essentials, it could stand a revamp. Taking recs for anything important enough to be considered "essential".

just do your thing

I just listen to banned in d.c. on repeat

I used to buy black metal records from Dom/Prurient. He's a great dude.
That's about as much of a connection as I've ever had with noise music, aside from stumbling into a show every now and again.

Thanks, user, I'm pretty excited to get into it. I like your setup, how long've you been doing it?

basic as fuck opinion, but bantztotai with material gadgets has always been a great inspiration to me. Merzbow's dynamic tenacity is amazing.
Aube's creative diversity is endless, I've been stumbled upon so many of his ideas, but the care he crafts them is warming.
may be interesting. darkthrone's blast beats are amazing inspiration.

I have memory issues, but I think 2 years now.

a tip I can give you is to
always be aware of what you do
and be aware of sound.

Nothing wrong with Batztoutai, user, I fucking love that album.

Thanks, user. Really appreciate it.

it's just how far he took first
found object incorporation
tape manipulation
and meaning detachments
is absolutely dada!
what mixer do you have? what's the mic? did you do it yourself? do you have distortion?

Mackie Mix12FX
Made the mic myself, it's a pretty simple piezo contact mic though.
Don't have distortion yet, trying no-input/onkyo stuff before I delve deeper.

Alright so I'm pretty into noise and I really want to make some. I have a mixer and like 5 patch cables, 3 amps, two basses, and a strat. What the fuck do I do and do I need anything else for my setup.

youtube.com/watch?v=Hv1VQL4zTKc
Try this, then just experiment on your own to see what sounds good

oh now you are talking!!! onkyo is beautiful and it's just the right thing for practicing control! try different things!
I would be kind of scared of a mixer with effects, but I'm sure there's stunning sound possibilities in there.

the simple cheap kind of contact mic if the best kind of contact mic, try to practice making those.
if you have even the simplest Skype microphone you can expand you possibilities a lot. with a pair of headphones connected as a input too, you can cause vicious feedback by contact and close proximity

youtube.com/watch?v=wNgPvVPGyf0
otomo uses a very interesting trick with contract mics here.

also make a rumbler - fill a can with jingly stuff , close the contact mic in it. - rumbler (a reverb effect will make it sound like link wray

just make some noise, really
freak out a little bit

thanks user

Fantastic, thanks so much! I'll definitely make a rumbler, I'm really excited to get started.

Love the video too, thanks for all the help!

something else I can recommend is doing field recordings with your phone and us that as an input.
rushing water, traffic, kitchenware and even the human body have wide sound possibilities.
you can also use radio static as an input, but manual control makes a lot more useful. boosting bass beats to insanity with whatever fx suits your mood on the local radio station
brought me kind moments of joy.
really experimentation is the direction!

Ooh yeah, I always planned to warp field recordings. My contact mic is waterproof, so that'll be really helpful.

anyone fans of audiotool?

who /gorenoise/ here

ive been putting off on listening to yoshihide for a while, I just threw on cathode after seeing this post

im diggin it