Is there a better/more perfect singular episode of television than The Sopranos, season 1, episode 5 "College:

Is there a better/more perfect singular episode of television than The Sopranos, season 1, episode 5 "College:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bGG6NWi35Ic
youtube.com/watch?v=mmb7TU0OrOI
m.youtube.com/watch?v=d9uZiEIt4gU
m.youtube.com/watch?v=1CGWb9vKAKk
m.youtube.com/watch?v=YUgHDXOdUos
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Breaking Bad has several better than that

Blue Comet, maybe, idk you rushed me

College is pretty underwhelming to me after it gets built up as an amazing episode constantly. It wasn't really any better than your average episode.

Pine Barrens takes the prize for THE overrated episode of the Sopranos though.

Sopranos Home Movies blows both out of the water just off the top of my head.

I dunno about that but was a good scene

Ozymandias is the only one that is even remotely, remotely close. Even then that's more about the excitement of things finally happening in the series than a perfectly constructed episode.
That's a good one too.

There is no mafia

>Ozymandias is the only one that is even remotely, remotely close
Not even one of the best Breaking Bad episodes. It gets overrated because of the ITS HAPPENING plot developments. Fly or 4 Days Out both do a lot more as television episodes with less innately impactful material.

Wasn't this at least season 3?

I was lucky to know nothing about it heading in. I agree about Pine Barrens being overrated.
The reason I say College is the best is because it's perfectly constructed and written. It's pretty much a standalone episode that could be watched by anyone as a short film. Each of the scenes mirror each other even though the a and b plots are completely separate, and the way It's written to show that Carmella and Tony are more similar than they realize is stunning. Carmella is tempted to sin, and Tony is tempted to sin, but only Tony gives in. The whole thing is just excellent in every way.

I agree actually Fly is very good.
Nope, it's the 5th episode.

>Pine Barrens takes the prize for THE overrated episode

fuck you, ya mook

Hell, the pilot of BB is better than that episode of Sopranos. Not to mention One Minute, Face Off, ABQ, Full Measure, Dead Freight, and Say my Name.

>but only Tony gives in
Err not really

She's sinning in the first place for having them thought and putting her self in the situation.Plus she would have done it if he wasn't sick

Cringe

Good point actually. I think that's where my mind was going but I blanked out like a retard.

>Hell, the pilot of BB is better than that episode of Sopranos. Not to mention One Minute, Face Off, ABQ, Full Measure, Dead Freight, and Say my Name.
Funny jokes. Dead Freight made it clear that the show was an absolute fucking joke. The last season in general made me embarrassed that I ever thought Breaking Bad had the potential to be a top tier show alongside the likes of The Sopranos. The top tier Breaking Bad episodes (not the ones you listed by the way) are better than the shitty episodes of The Sopranos like "Chris meets the rapper, chris meets ben kingsley" but they don't touch even mid level sopranos episodes. Unless your metric is "dank action scenes".

Pine Barrens.

youtube.com/watch?v=bGG6NWi35Ic

The Robert Patrick scenes were kino

College is akin to the pilot episode of The Shield in terms of being famous because it did the unthinkable in terms of protagonists crossing the invisible line.

One of the biggest problems getting the Sopranos on the air was the fact that they had a huge amount of behind the scenes issues with just how evil Tony could be. Network TV wouldn't touch the show unless they made Tony a narc (undercover cop) and even HBO pushed the idea of not letting Tony kill anyone until the finale (so that his roaring rampage of revenge against Jr's crew would be seen as justified).

Tony killing the mobster who turned states evidence was an act of malicious murder that served to establish Tony as a villain. The fact that it was juxtaposition next to him on a daddy/daughter bonding trip (complete with armor piercing questions being asked by Meadow about her dad's true nature) reminded you that Tony was evil and that even when he was trying to be a good parent, he was still a bastard who would leave his daughter to get petty vengence for his mob land cronies.

What were they referring to when Meadow and her friend were trying to buy some "crystal"? Is it as unbelievable to anyone else Hughschoolers take meth so casually? "I need it for studying."

>tfw don't even pay attention to episode names

idk i liked the one where Tony has the dreams where he finds out Pussy is a rat and the one where they kill Adriana. i liked adriana ;_; but that scene was great

A lot of people try drugs as teenagers. She went to her cousin who she knew could get it. What's hard to understand?

Top tier explanation user, that whole quote of Tony's saying that the hustle never ends really speaks true throughout the series (especially in the last season with Eugene and Tony trying to reconcile with Phil).

Also Febby's death is probably the most brutal in the series besides Christopher and Phil's deaths.

I like how this episode ending could've served as a perfect series finale in case the show went the way of Rome.

I was specifically talking about meth. You can read my post, your snark is not called for.

>Unless your metric is "dank action scenes"

of course it is faggot

/thread

Depends on where you live. Lots of high schoolers would have access to/recourse to meth or want to try it, even back when this episode aired.

im sorry did you guys finish the series? i had my first existential crisis after watching that blank screen

i thought so too then i was like its jersey. different strokes. kids in new orleans casually tie off and boot up

test dream is way better

>I Dream of Jeannie Cusamano
>Funhouse (GOAT!)
>University
>In Camelot
>Whoever Did This
>Whitecaps
>Long Term Parking
>Soprano Home Movies
>Kennedy and Heidi
>The Blue Comet
>Made in America

>>I Dream of Jeannie Cusamano

Underrated.

College is great but a little contrived in hindsight. The Sopranos has several of the greatest television episodes of all time but I wouldn't list College amongst them despite its influence.

>a Sopranos episode
>contrived

u wot m8

>"people" actually think breaking bad is on the same level as the sopranos
i'm shocked every time

The times they are A-changin.

Blue Comet is my favorite, but College is amazing in itself.

>Network TV wouldn't touch the show unless they made Tony a narc (undercover cop)
What a bunch of fags jesus christ

>Tony's net worth was only 5 to 6 million

What the fuck, youtube letsplayers make more than that

Remember the first episode when he says that he feels like he came into the game right at the end?

Join the club

Yes, but keep in mind Tony spends so much, like isn't it better to spend a lot on house, lewd cars for his family, luxurios gifts on gumars etc. than letting the Feds find it? Tone always kept yelling on Paulie about not putting much thought on "legitimizing" his finances. Keep in mind Tone had a regular job on paper, at Barone Sanitation. Legitimate income is major reason why Tone never got busted for real. Man's got to know his limitations. What's the point of being rich wiseguy if you're gonna spend 10 millions on lawyers, experts etc?

>watching join the club
I didnt ask for these feels

I binge watched the series in 2012 so off the top of my head, this, Pine Barrens, the one where Tony gets the cop fired who stopped him for speeding, the one where the FBI puts a bug in Tony's house and a couple of others were the only ones I could remember.

I liked the surreal quality of the show, the characters, location. The plot became redundant after a while; You could see what was going to happen to Steve Buchemi a mile away when he was introduced.

good taste my nugga

kino

It was more than called for you fucking shut in. Kids take all sorts of drugs all over the world. I'm not saying it's a good thing but it's the truth. Get out from under your rock.

>tfw watched The Sopranos expecting it to be just another show about the Mafia
>actually ended up helping me with my existential crisis and mom issues

This show is literally the GOAT in my opinion. The philosophical bits that are thrown in there when Tony talks to the old man in the hospital and then when Tony takes peyote and talks about it with Melfie and the metaphor about moms being bus drivers is what made this show a 10 for me. Fucking hell I wish I could erase my memory and watch this show for the first time all over again

Here's my headcanon on the ending:
>Tony survives that night at Holstens, MOJ guy was only looking at Tony because he thought he recognized him
>the FBI finally has enough evidence with Carlo's testimony to get Tony indicted
>several months later Tony is charged with only a few RICO preds because NJ was a small "family" without much dirt compared to NY
>Tony is sentenced to 9 years in prison, much of which he spends reading about history, getting in shape doing cardio, lifting and sports (varsity athlete wish fulfillment)
>avoids 2013 heart attack because there's little to stress about day to day in the can, plus weight loss and no cigars
>Tony's now happier in prison than he was while free
>he gets released in 2016 only to find out, all on the same day, that:
>Meadow recently became a paraplegic due to a freak parallel parking accident
>she's also a militant SJW, feminist, avid BLM supporter, and got back together with and married The Charcoal Briquette
>AJ lives in a filthy apartment and has turned into a NEET Sup Forums shitposter with "superior taste" because of his short stint in the film biz
>Carm has remarried to Paulie for financial and religious spiritual support
>"SORRY TON', BUT WE WAS LONELY ALL DOSE YEARS YOU WERE IN DA CAN, AN' I FIGGA'D YA'D GET CUNTY AND TURN FINOOK ANYWAYS, HEH HEH"
>Tony enters a massive agita and bantz- induced cardiac arrest and dies almost instantly

Breaking Bad is a great ACTION THRILLER. But after you've seen it (I saw it live from the beginning), it actually is quite a shallow exercise. I've also come to find that BCS is actually a better show, at least in my opinion.

BB doesn't even begin to touch on the masterful shows like The Wire, The Sopranos and so on. The worst thing about it is its fans that hasn't seen anything beyond BB and GoT, yet claim that they are the 'best things eva!'.

sounds legit
>avoids 2013 heart attack

oh what happend in 2013-

oh.

oh.

>mfw every cast member show'd up
>even pussy.

not sure if Jackie Aprile's actor show'd up.

Best credit song?
>youtube.com/watch?v=mmb7TU0OrOI

>mfw this plays after Tony makes Janice have a mental breakdown over her homeless canadian son

Where is me mami

GOAT ending

>Plus she would have done it if he wasn't sick
Wasn't he gay or something?

no, he was a priest
Roman Catholics look down on that kind of thing

pine barrens is great despite being overrated, though

probly the funniest sopranos episode

>tfw youre the only person whose favorite episode is stage 5

am i really alone on this

>that fucking ending

With an extra ten minutes of set up it could be a stand alone short film 2bh

Nah those episodes are only good BECAUSE of the builds. As regular episodes with no context they fall flat

unless it's regarding little kids.

How did that fat fuck Vito end up with this piece of hot fireman ass

Wasn't that the idea for the pilot? If it didn't get picked up they were going to film another 30 minutes and release as a low budget movie.

go away faggot

he lost weight and married Philly leotardo's cousin

i fucking hate that episode quit trolling me

>tfw based gandolfini is gone forever and there will never be more episodes/a movie

fuck this shit world

>he hasnt watched Lilyhammer

I enjoy episodes focused on Christopher he's just so likable and my favorite character. D-girl is my personal favorite off top of my head but there is probably a couple more I can't recall.

that show is fucking garbage

Employee of the Month is one of my favourite episodes. Barely ever seen it mentioned in best episode lists. How come?

Nice trips and it's up there but All Debts Public and Private is my personal favorite.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=d9uZiEIt4gU

Never realized how much Tony wanted to drizzle his juice all over Meadow.

fuck you, i liked it

Lillyhammer is absolute shit

>tfw she's rapidly approaching 40 and has MS

Guess why capeshit is so popular m8

I worked with a guy who puts Dexter above everything.

kid is gonna be mad as fuck when it turns out he inherited being a cripple from mommy

Chicken Town for that oh-fuck-shit's-gonna-go-down feel

m.youtube.com/watch?v=1CGWb9vKAKk

Everything about Ade's death was so fucking sad imo. The way Silvio drags her out of the car and the scream haunts me. Also the day dream of actually her getting away is heartbreaking on rewatching.

>Chris
>Likeable

I saw that movie.... I thought it was bullshit

Oh please. In the span of two episodes, we see him sending more than 700k from his own money, like it's nothing, to some fiscal paradise.

Sue me he was ah a asshole with personality.

>SCARFACE FINAL ACT TWO BAZOOKAS

I started to like him when he got out of rehab.

Wrong post user

Eww, bet he's a CUNT.

Yeah. I wanted to reply to

ending had my heart pounding

bracco, hell all the main cast of the sopranos are incredible

it's a shame all the random italians they got for the lesser roles were so awful
>vito's actor
that actor could not carry that load

He's a full blown millennial sjw faggot.

>Italian Vogue

Meadow is pretty as fuck but a real bitch on wheels personality wise. I can't really say who's worse Janice or her. Janice could have fun at least but Meadow is such a debbie downer and only time I really recall her being somewhat warm is at Tony B's release party.

kill yourself

checked

She was a spoilt teenager for most of the show, what did you expect?

Vito is the worst fucking storyline in the whole series and I'm glad that Phil had him killed. I couldn't take him seriously because he reminded me of a fucking penguin.This scene right here still makes me crack up.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=YUgHDXOdUos