The Death of Electric Guitar

“What we need is guitar heroes”. Do you agree? Let's discuss.
washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/lifestyle/the-slow-secret-death-of-the-electric-guitar/?hpid=hp_no-name_graphic-story-a:homepage/story&utm_term=.46bd3ad9417b

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/_Ts_Av5IGUk?t=3m9s
youtube.com/watch?v=CXSHs6f_5TU
youtu.be/zQ5qR7zKK3c
youtu.be/O46v33hpx4Q
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/mu/thread/73521360/#73527463
youtube.com/watch?v=t-UE2fmm_ZI
youtube.com/watch?v=MFNldzReNq8
youtube.com/watch?v=aiw8CTK2o_Q
youtube.com/watch?v=THFJw0-0Y_Q
youtube.com/watch?v=8lTnhm48Q2M
youtube.com/watch?v=tFkgaZRg144
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

we need more 808

Fuck no, I want to see the industry burn, more cheap gear for me

What we need are MIDI guitars.

MIDI guitars would be interesting for bedroom guitar players an amateurs and top 40 acts alike, I'd have to agree.

youtu.be/_Ts_Av5IGUk?t=3m9s
Very interesting, but I don't think MIDI guitars are going to serve anyone better other than top 40 acts and I think you'd agree that's not how another guitar innovation is going to happen.

>And at Sweetwater.com, the online retailer, a brand-new, interest-free Fender can be had for as little as $8 a month.

We've got guitar heros though. They aren't topping charts but there is still a sizable community of players young and old. Whoever wrote this article should have talked to some people other than crotchety olds that refuse to adapt to the modern age.
There are a number of guitars that have midi output and several guitar inspired midi controllers that have been around for a while. They kind of came and went as a bit of a fad because guitar communities online were too purist they fell out of the public eye.
This also.

>We've got guitar heros though. They aren't topping charts but there is still a sizable community of players young and old
Guitar resurgence won't happen at a global scale, as it did in the 80's with guitar players like Eddie Van Halen. Music quality aside, people like him made younger generations willing to learn to play an instrument. Even Zappa, who was as far removed from that genre of music as possible agreed. He praised true guitar innovators like Allan Holdsworth on live television. That's the mentality we need.

But then again, who's interested in listening to those artists? I'm not implying that those musicians should be praised, marketed and then sold like hair metal bands did, I'm advocating for exposure, be it for better or worse for the actual musicians. Just to make people aware that a lot has happened since Eric Clapton and 12 bar blues.

Fender had my boy Nick Reinhardt showcase their new line of Jazzmasters and Jaguars.

>Fender, Gibson, and Guitar Center struggling
>Must be the instrument that is dying, nothing to do with their shitty business practices, complete lack of innovation, and overpriced bullshit

The music industry is not about making rock stars anymore, it's about putting out a product that appeals to the lowest common denominator.

They've been around for a while, didn't sell that well.
youtube.com/watch?v=CXSHs6f_5TU

>it's about putting out a product that appeals to the lowest common denominator.

I mean, that's been true for 90% of the industry since the 1950s. The Beatles released like 10 full albums before they started doing things not aimed at the lowest common denominator

Also, about the MIDI thing, the Axe-Fx has a built-in guitar-signal-to-midi converter module. You can program a monophonic synth in the axe fx and use any guitar to trigger it, as long as you're only playing one note at a time. it's pretty fun

The media telling everybody that electric guitar is dead and rock music is dead so persistently is only going to cause a contrarian pushback and cause it to come back in some way. It's so obvious.

I don't think I could ever get the singing background harmonics I get out of a guitar in the digital realm.

>They've been around for a while, didn't sell that well.
Probably shitty marketing. I'm sure you could make some dubstep rockstars famous and get midi guitars hyped as fuck.

Guitar heroes still exist, just not in the mainstream. Shit like blues and rock isn't new and revolutionary so guitarists need to break new ground to become revolutionary and that doesn't result in music that the mainstream appreciate. Do you think the mainstream enjoys music like this?

youtu.be/zQ5qR7zKK3c
youtu.be/O46v33hpx4Q

And nobody gives a fuck about Fender and Gibson anymore because you can buy better made instruments for cheaper than what they're charging. Fender and Gibson is only still around because of people who care more about their image than actually playing guitar.

The main difference between then and now is the profitability of selling recorded music, meaning record companies have become increasingly risk-averse and play things much safer. This is not only true for the music industries but other entertainment industries are disinterested in creating stars as well.

this lol, imagine making the same guitar models for 50 odd year with no innovations, obsession on 'quality' (made slightly better than ones made in Indonesia for 5x the price) and price-gouging the instruments.

People aren't playing guitar because they're not interested, but because they're overpriced. You can say what you want about Synths but at lest each one sounds somewhat different, you can tell a Roland to a Yamaha, a Moog to a Prophet, and so on. Only guitar aficionados can tell the difference between guitar models.

If people can't tell the difference between single coil and humbuckers then they need their ears checked

>Fender and Gibson is only still around because of people who care more about their image than actually playing guitar.
This.

this and more people are buying used because it's a better value in the long run. sites like reverb and ebay are killing it right now

Just found Reverb like two weeks ago, holy shit you can get a Space Echo RE-201 Pedal for like $500 instead of $1000, and jazzmasters for like $100 shit is incredible

guitar = straight white male hobby

you all know we can't have that, right? if it's straight, white, and male it's got to go!

open your eyes already, this is just a symptom of a much larger plan that's being implemented

Do you think the average young kid who's going to buy their first guitar is really going to give a shit? They're going to pick what looks cool and what their parents can afford. And two different pick ups just mean two different choices, still a very low amount of choice you have compared to, say, hardware synths or plug-ins

kek your so dumb

>The music industry is not about making rock stars anymore, it's about putting out a product that appeals to the lowest common denominator.
OP here, sadly that's the truth. I would just like innovative guitar players being mentioned.
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/mu/thread/73521360/#73527463
Here are my recommendations, but people only continued discussing John Mayer, John Frusciante and Derek Trucks.

Those two, sure, guitar heroes, but they've almost crossed a line of making music a competition.

It's about fucking time. Guitar based music is shit and grating to the ears

They could've really made auto tuners work on all models ~2011, instead of making the attrocity that is Gibson Robot. Not to mention that those aren't exactly cheap as well.

>Not to mention that those aren't exactly cheap as well.
Guitars and auto tuners alike.

It's all because of """" them """", right? The rest of us aren't woke enough to see?

>innovative guitar players
>2017
kek

>kek
That just settles it.

>he doesn't know about the droves of Hispanic metal heads and indie kids who practice daily

this is true. in fact the op article was probably made by someone involved with either fender or gibson

yeah
they call it futility
they might as well be spending their time literally sticking their thumbs up their asses, they'll end up with the same result
they're just wasting their time

No, please describe the "innovation"(kek) you're referring to so I can tear you a new asshole.

You're either a moron who doesn't know what the word means or you're an inexperienced child that thinks any of those players are innovative in any way, shape, or form.

First of all, why are you so mad? How did I provoke you? Either way,
>any of those players are innovative in any way, shape, or form.
Are you refering to John Mayer, John Frusciante and Derek Trucks? I didn't imply they were innovative at all in that thread.

agreed. the market is just bloated with unnecessary expense. why buy a new chunk of wood for $2k when you can get one just as good for $500 on the used market.

Guitar music will never die, this article is stupid.

Pic related is the top 10 albums of 2017 according to RateYorurMusic. most of them are guitar music

No, moron. I wasn't referring to John Mayer, John Frusciante and Derek Trucks.

Now stop stalling. Name an "innovative" (kek) guitarist from the last 15 years so I can tear you a new asshole.

Guthrie Govan would probably be a better example, he can nail basically any genre better than most peoples favorite guitarist but he's not going to be mainstream because he makes music for musicians

What really matters in terms of the business is sales, and Billboards Hot 100 has very little guitar. Only 2 songs out of the top 10 feature guitar

Of the players mentioned in that thread - Miles Okazaki combines metal rhythms, unusual compositional elements (to the point of some material being impossible to play live) with jazz/jazz fusion.
>7. “Metamorphosis” is similar to “Spiral” in concept, with a more of a focus on melodic phrases. Drums and guitar play the main rhythmic structure, while the horns play a melody in counterpoint. There are three main melodic phrases played by the guitar and drums, which are reduced and expanded in a specific structure of modulating speeds and phrase lengths. The whole rhythmic structure is played in three increasing speeds, and finishes at the end of four 24-bar harmonic cycles in 4/4 time (one cycle is played as an introduction). The harmony is based on a small section of J.S. Bach’s Violin Partita in E major. The melody is inspired by a field recording from Camaroon called “Humming of the Bees.”
>5. “Invention” is an exploration of the idea of rhythmic proportion. The length of each pair of sections (melody, guitar break) is based on the “Fibonacci series,” which builds on itself and approaches the golden ratio, a number found throughout natural phenomena. This can seen in the music by comparing the number of beats for each pair of sections, which progress through the series: 1:1, 2:1, 3:2, 5:3, 8:5, 13:8, 21:13, 34:21, 55:34 . . . etc. The final section, with layered melodic variations, shifts between two harmonic sections in the approximate golden ratio proportion of 89:55. The tabla solo is a composition unto itself, constrained within a single 144 beat section.
youtube.com/watch?v=t-UE2fmm_ZI
youtube.com/watch?v=MFNldzReNq8
Kurt Rosenwinkel has a way of combining progressive big band with modern jazz, without it being melow, Starbucks jazz.
youtube.com/watch?v=aiw8CTK2o_Q
Unique take on Stella by Starlight, wouldn't you agree?
youtube.com/watch?v=THFJw0-0Y_Q

>he mixes ketchup, mayonnaise, and butter
>burns it in a microwave
>calls it yum yum sauce
>innovative chef

That's halarious, I knew you were a retard before you even replied though.

But from a business perspective the lack of top 40 chart topping guitar hero's is the issue. These businesses need more than just active musicians buying their stuff to maintain their size. Ultimately they probably will have to downsize and become closer to in size to other instrument makers.

Csaba Toth Bagi, a virtually unknown guitar player, combines Balkan folk music, in most cases fairly rhythmically complex and unusual to most ears with jazz/jazz fusion. All that with traditional instruments too, without it sounding patched up. His approach to it and guitar tone is different from other musicians from Europe who have done similar things. He's also playing with Al Di Meola and Mike Stern, I'd say he's good.
youtube.com/watch?v=8lTnhm48Q2M
youtube.com/watch?v=tFkgaZRg144

>he mixes ketchup, mayonnaise, and butter
>burns it in a microwave
>calls it yum yum sauce
>innovative chef
I don't even know what to say... By the way, thank you for letting me know it has been pointless trying to have a discussion with you. Thanks for playing.

>in·no·va·tive
>ˈinəˌvādiv
>adjective
>of a product, idea, etc.) featuring new methods; advanced and original.
>"innovative designs"
>(of a person) introducing new ideas; original and creative in thinking.
>"an innovative thinker"

Of course it's pointless, you obviously don't know what the word means. The best you can come up with are retards who are "combining" (kek) this and that. Yum yum sauce, mmmmmm.

But hey, you called me a retard and an idiot, of course you're right, it's pointless when you're demonstrably correct. And instead of proving me wrong with examples of actual innovative guitar players, you're arguing dictionary definitions instead of music. Flawless victory!

No one who is serious about music cares about "billboard hot 100". it's literally just for casuals

>this post is what he refers to as "tearing someone a new asshole"
pathetic

>innovative guitar players,
>2017
Let's try this again, retard.
Uh oh. You might need a doctor for your injury, user. Looks like you might not make it.

You could've said that there are none in your opinion, instead of wasting everyone's time. But don't worry, you still win, you can call people retards.

Just out of curiosity, which guitar players from any era would you consider innovative?

Am I white if I'm a mixed race Muslim

I clearly asked you to give examples of recent "innovative" (kek) guitar players and now you want to act retarded because you didn't know what the word meant? How embarrassing.
>tu quoque
lmao

Nope, not today. Admit you can't come up with a single legitimate example then beg me like a thirsty bitch and I might.

It's clear that you're not interested in having a conversation about music, you're on a shitposting rampage. Thanks for playing though. You've gotten enough (You)s.

>capitulation in the face of total defeat

Try to sidestep it all you want, I've laid out the question as simply as it can be laid out. If you can't (or don't want to) answer it then I've won the argument you started.

Of course you've won, I conceded that. You can call people retards, what more do you possibly need? And yeah, let's argue dictionary definitions instead of actual examples of musicians which are innovative. I'm not sure where you're even going with this - I provided examples of musicians I think are innovative and the classic "that's just like your opinion man" ensued, along with calling me a retard multiple times and arguing dictionary definitons.

That's the point. Billboard is exclusively about what sells the most - it's what the industry looks at. Go through the hot 100 and you'll see why people (ignorantly) claim that there are no "guitar heroes" anymore

start treating guitars more like how a synth behaves, which carries the melody but doesn't support the harmonies.

guitar is dead because of too many kiddos chugging their guitars, it gets old and stale

>guitar is dead because of too many kiddos chugging their guitars, it gets old and stale
Djent isn't dead yet apparently. I mean, how many times? Meshuggah's done it, how many more bands do you need to hear?

>I think are innovative
lmao

Yeah, definitions of words... they're just up in the air.. they just mean whatever you want them to mean, right?
>that's just like your opinion man
And now you're accusing me of this? That's rich as hell.

No, the guitarists you listed aren't innovative and now I know you know it. That's it.

you totally could, just not with a single sweep of a pick

Classic shitposting. What music do you consider to have innovative artists?

Don't even bother.

mainstream metal has been dead for a while now.

when's the last time a metal band got in the top 40?

Well I would like to know what instruments have innovative artists.

innovativeness is irrelevant and good guitarists are a dime a dozen

WHAT WE NEED IS A BIG RECORD COMPANY TO START SHILLING A DECENT GUITARIST WHO HAS CHARISMA

IT'S ALL ABOUT HYPE, GLAMOUR, AND ADVERTISING BUDGETS

TALENT IS CHEAP AND EASY TO COME BY

POPULARITY IS EXPENSIVE AND HARD TO MANUFACTURE

isn't this like every fucking new black keys sounding mainstream band ever?

honestly, let the guitar die, put it back in the hands of those who actually know how to play and leave it out of the spot light.

eventually those who really love guitar will find a way to make it work

This >tu quoque
>lmao
>Nope, not today. Admit you can't come up with a single legitimate example then beg me like a thirsty bitch and I might
was for you. Beg me.
>loses argument like the retard he is
>begs other people not to engage out of pure unadulterated asspain
You need some water for that raging inferno in your anus, user?

Your shitposting rampage has been successful. Here's a final (You) buddy.

Who are you quoting in that first part? Also you didn't answer my question.

people like you motivate me so much to keep practicing every day

My victory over you was sweet, user. Come back any time for more.
What part of
>This
didn't you understand?

Also, I'm not going to answer your question until you beg me like a good girl.

>people like you motivate me to waste even more of my time
lol what and idiot
dance monkey!
dance!

Well if you are going to hold me to a rule you weren't held too, my involvement in your power trip is done. All the best.

You mean give examples of innovative guitar players when I didn't claim there were any?

Because if that's what you mean then you're a complete fucking idiot.

As opposed to what? Scrolling an internet image board?

What could you possibly be doing with your time that is a better use of it? Learning to master an instrument by far has been one of the most rewarding uses of my time, and it's something that I will continue to be doing until my fingers fall.

People like you are just upset that they don't have the necessary discipline and focus to do anything more than jack off and binge watch netflix and youtube videos. So you go on the internet and try to convince other people to give up on their passions so you feel less lonely in your failure.

Mac demarco isn't that great with guitar, yet he's popular
honestly, I wish these old guys would stop with these
>muh technical skill

no one really cares about technical skill, they care if the songs sound good and if they're catchy

>all this desperate protecting
jfc how triggered are you monkey
nice dance
again

>What could you possibly be doing with your time that is a better use of it?
Not him but I laughed out loud when I read this.

agreed

A E S T H E T I C

not really, they're not big or mainstream enough

Nobody needs guitar heroes and guitar idolatry is complete bullshit. What matters is the music, not the instrument, and people will continue to make music with whatever they've got.

If the guitar industry dies then good riddance. The big manufacturers are trash merchants and their collapse will bring more diversity and ingenuity to instruments and music in general.

Roman you always get owned when this debate comes up , why do you keep trying?

>tfw I got to you but you couldn't get to me

You know how much I love it when the asspained cries of the bitch nerd reverberate across the entire board.