/prod/ general - afx cat edition

Talk about music production, composition, and audio engineering.

Upload WIPs on clyp.it/

GIVE and RECEIVE feedback.

>ATTENTION!
DO NOT post Soundcloud, YouTube or any links where you are not anonymous. That is considered self promotion and will result in bad feedback.

>LEARNING RESOURCES

>The Art of Mixing
youtube.com/watch?v=TEjOdqZFvhY

>Intro to Synthesis
youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M&list=RDatvtBE6t48M#t=1764

YouTube channels that you should subscribe to:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>SeamlessR (Music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>BusyWorksBeats
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

>Justin Omoi
youtube.com/channel/UCMnmXvv9JHJPsrrob-gEn5A

>WarBeats
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Samori Coles
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

>Image Line Tutorials
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

>Music Theory: The TL;DR Version (Music Theory geared toward electronic)
www54.zippyshare.com/v/pUN8e0km/file.html

>Adam Neely (Music Theory and bass)
youtube.com/user/havic5/videos

>SamuraiGuitarist (Music Theory and guitar, ignore the blogging)
youtube.com/user/samuraiguit/videos

>Holistic Songwriting (Music Theory, Branding, and "Making It")
youtube.com/channel/UCLtD67ljlaeXQMV4sb-YzNA/videos

>Michael New (Music Theory and piano)
youtube.com/user/Rhaptapsody/videos

>READ THIS BEFORE ASKING ANYTHING

>Production Resources:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff
pastebin.com/08mwwiAV

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/p1mnz4qo
clyp.it/psztojkz
clyp.it/x1czn3kv
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia
clyp.it/0xhkd3sa
clyp.it/p3brjc5e
instaud.io/private/a7f6612b97f24fb9508017f220b2c47826673889
clyp.it/3thivelf
clyp.it/qzfi02k0
fresh-stuff4u.com/izotope-ozone-7-advanced-v7-01-win-mac-full-free-download/
audioz.download/software/win/128147-download_izotope-ozone-7-advanced-v701-incl-emulator-r2r.html
instaud.io/private/6891194eca5e7bb26f12361b6cb02c427d59b50d
clyp.it/uxxdhspw
clyp.it/auzcqm25
instaud.io/12Ns
clyp.it/lcxyut4w
clyp.it/3rpssh2b
clyp.it/vfserdgi
clyp.it/2xewno4n
clyp.it/1vbiyhka
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>clyp.it/p1mnz4qo

Can I get some feedback on this? It's for a compilation album using their field recording samples. First time mixing it lofi, does it sound lofi enough?

>Made with MS20, Virus Access, in Renoise.

bumping this thread because the other one is garbage

clyp.it/psztojkz

Updated version, listen to this one.

clyp.it/x1czn3kv

i made a song out of samples from an episode of tales from the darkside. thoughts?

um its ok i dont love it but its cool

i think it might sound better with the drums in half time at some points? the bass synth at the end is pretty neat

>clyp.it/psztojkz
Kinda boring, doesn't evolve or do anything.

>is it ok for no beats at all?

Yes it's essentially a a big software sampler that uses your computer as the processor and your hard drive for storing samples...so it's basically a midi controller that is set up really well for the software it uses. (All the knobs are already mapped to the software/sampler/vst instruments and effects).
The software (DAW) it's self is a cut down version of a daw that is based on scenes and patterns. So it's not so different from something like ableton I guess.
I don't really use beats in my music at all and never found it to be a problem.
What exactly do you mean by morphing one sound into another?
If you want to know more I'll try and explain how I use it a bit better?

Anyone know where I can pirate izotope ozone 7?

could someone help me with feedback on mixing and stuff please¿

Is Presonus Studio One 3 Artist any good as a DAW? Is there anything better that I can program drums in?I only ever used Ultrabeat in Logic when I was in college but I don't own a Mac so that's out of the question

reaper is a freebie

let the drums have some space man...... that beat gets so tiring, you don't need to constantly fill everything in

3 much verb dude. cut a lot with eq, gate some of the quicker parts (like that clave) side chain some of it (ghost)

obviously set up different sends

Anyone else associate sounds with colors when composing?
Like, I have sort of a notion of what makes a sound red, blue or yellow, and an idea of what makes a sound a lighter or darker tone, but in my mind it's perfectly clear. I'd have trouble explaining it, tho. If, for example, I wanted to ask how to make my guitar less "blue" and more "red", I'd have trouble explaining to someone else what sound I'm trying to get but I know exactly what I mean.

It's probably just autism.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia
(to a lesser degree it sounds like)
(reddit brings this up frequently.)

yeah i know exactly what you're talking about.
although, in analyzing my previous color associations i realize i've built them up with albums songs textures ec that somehow got mixed up with that color... so eh.

it's not that cool, it can just occasionally help to understand and see your song i guess

I don't see it as a tool or anything, it's more of a way of thinking.
I've always thought synesthesia is something more sensorial. I don't really imagine the color, it's more like "this is too blue and I want it to sound red". I guess it has to do with the energy associated to a certain color versus a sound.
I've always thought like this but I never thought about it before.

thanks for listening. Seems like some sound advice definitely should do something with the beat. pretty lazy with the drums and way too into reverb. what part are you saying i should sidechain?

I like it:

clyp.it/0xhkd3sa

Are there any free plugins to program drums in reaper?

It's nice. Those noise things are too loud in my opinion.

Is the Seaboard Roli worth it? I mainly do film scoring work, so I'm quite interested for recording instruments with realistic expressions.

Overpriced meme. It's nice, but everything that can be done with this keyboard can be done in your DAW.

clyp.it/p3brjc5e

trying different kinds of drums. help

Wow, the stuff you guys post sounds quite impressive. How do I become one of you?

Really nice. I just wish it was cleaner.

instaud.io/private/a7f6612b97f24fb9508017f220b2c47826673889

Its kind of cool, but Im missing a bass track.

The bass is subtle in a lot of my tracks. I mix/master with some 1$ earphones.

I feel like Reaper is underrated, and I say this as a newbie graduating to it from NanoStudio recently. It's quite straight forward and simple but with an insane amount of depth and potential, and has a ton of great documentation (manual/videos/books/forums all available through their website), and all this for "free". It's fully customization so you can set up your workflow however you want once you wrap your mind around how it works, and it looks pretty sleek too.

Even if you buy a license it's super cheap, $60 for a discounted license, $225 for a commercial license (which basically means you'd have to be making OVER $20k USD a year). I just use all free VST's and samples that I find or create myself, tons of great free shit out there. Torrent shit if you really need to.

I'm trying to make a point of learning and making better and more professional sounding stuff for free or as cheap as possible.

Anyone found this yet?

1. get software and instruments you need for what you want to do

2. get books (make sure they're recommended, educational materials that don't segue properly or dont teach stuff in the right order are cancer) on music theory, sound design, mixing, turn off your internet and read them including all the manuals for your software

3. listen to lots of music, learn how to play songs and recreate them in your DAW and try and get the same sounds in order to build up a sound palette/vocab

4. try to create stuff that you enjoy listening to

remember the learning process is painful at times and you have to push through boredom and drudgery to git gud but that feeling isn't as bad as regretting not doing it earlier a few years down the line

Its capable for sure, but most of the love is for it being so cheap lol

Nobody would go for it if it costed as much as ableton for example

clyp.it/3thivelf

current WIP, how does it sound? too samey? does it need a bassline or works well without one? any feedback its appreciated even if its pure hate

feedback on this quick thing I just made?

clyp.it/qzfi02k0

I think it has potential to go somewhere and I'd like some critiques.

The reason why shit like Ableton costs so much is because it comes packaged with a ton of instruments and tools and sounds and shit. Reaper doesn't which is mainly why it's so cheap, it still has all of the functionality. Better, even, since Ableton restricts you to it's workflow but Reaper is completely customizable and can be changed to fit whatever your needs are. Takes more time and effort to learn, not as easy to just start up and start making music, but you're rewarded heavily for it.

>...

I feel like you don't know what you're talking about

played one in a shop once, the keys feel like those mousepad wrist rest things. i didnt like it

fresh-stuff4u.com/izotope-ozone-7-advanced-v7-01-win-mac-full-free-download/

audioz.download/software/win/128147-download_izotope-ozone-7-advanced-v701-incl-emulator-r2r.html

Use these two sites when looking for /prod/ stuff to pirate. Just keep in mind that sometimes they get removed, so you might need to use Google, but other than that they're the most legit I know.

I have exactly the same thing.
Is it actually synesthesia or it's just association of the color and textures of things/instruments with the sounds they emit?
Because in my cae they always match.

I feel like you're a faggot and suck dick on the daily.

See user, you're not the only one who can just throw random baseless statements out there.

Thanks, mate!

It's okay that you don't understand ableton lol no need to get all defensive

Feel free to make an actual argument any time. See, I made a statement and explained my reasoning, hey you know what I'll even help you start your next post!

>I believe Ableton doesn't cost so much because of the instruments and features it comes with compared to Reaper which is basically a blank slate. Ableton costs so much in my opinion because...

See this is how we have what's called a "discussion" instead just you being a faggot. You've brought nothing to the table thus far except the equivalent of NUH-UH!

You're welcome

Why are you splerging out

Forget I said anything, man. But you're the reason why this board is dying.

Bitch plix I'm one of like five guys who actually gives meaningful advice on these shitty clyps

I literally run /prod/

>it sounds great on headphones and shit on monitors

>everything that can be done with this keyboard can be done in your DAW.
The point is that you can play it, though. I don't see how someone could be this fucking dense.

You done goodeded

instaud.io/private/6891194eca5e7bb26f12361b6cb02c427d59b50d

V chill, sounds polished. I like your mixing.
I like the general idea. Maybe pull down the dissonant metallic drone in the background a bit, I feel like it clashes with the arpeggios too much.
Love it, it's a minimalistic composition but it works well. Be careful extending it into a full track so it doesn't get too repetitive.

clyp.it/uxxdhspw
Still working on composition, no mixing (808s ear rape warning). Keep it or trash it?

I'm just starting out and I want to start watching tutorials about the basics, but for the next few months I'll mostly have time when I'm away from the computer, so does anyone have some good beginner tutorials that don't need a big screen to see what the guy's doing, so I can watch them on my phone?

I'm using Ableton, so preferably stuff that's not exclusive to other DAWs.

Thank you in advance.

gib feedback pls

25 keys seems like it would be extremely hard to do film scores with. I was considering buying one of these as a modular controller, but I have no clue how well it would work with my midi/cv converter.

>25 keys seems like it would be extremely hard to do film scores with
That's why I have another controller with 88. I would just use this for certain melodies and shit.

boring sounds cheesy in the middle.... too many random samples that sound like you're just trying to fill in space with no purpose

sorry :(

clyp.it/up2psqjr
posted this on a previous production thread and got some good feedback. I've been working on it more and this is what I have now, is it good? Need to mix more but how is it compositionally?

clyp.it/auzcqm25

My samples sound like shit. They're too quiet, their not huge or impactful. What am I doing wrong?

... turn them up?
Compress
Use envelopes in sampler
Reverb

layer em up boy

I don't know how to do that. What is that?
what's an envelope?

These are both dumb questions, but I just wanna know this shit for sure and all the videos on the internet are too unspecific. no bully

instaud.io/12Ns

Pls help

Layering is when you layer multiple samples to compensate for weaknesses in the original sample. IE you have a weak kick with good top end so you high pass it then play something simple like an 808 kick under it, or if you have a kick with no clear transient so you play an impulse/click with it.

what about the samples that aren't kicks and snares, like vocals and shit?

Then the problem becomes something you cant answer or solve with a simple quick fix.

clyp.it/lcxyut4w hows this sounding so far?

The OP is full of useful videos.

clyp.it/3rpssh2b

anything you would change?

Work on the humanization. It sounds very robotic.
Hats too loud for my taste.
It's a bit monotone. If you're not gonna add a lead or a voice, I'd suggest variation.

i just figured out how to make a full length track, a big leap for me. variation is something i usually do a better job of. thank you for your input

Nah, you're right. The samples were distributed blindly so that's why they sound so random, but it really is too boring to salvage.

Well well well up with you

>What exactly do you mean by morphing one sound into another?

Thanks for replying. I'll be doing a lot of drone so layering and side-chaining long samples would be what I'd be wanting to do. I thought there maybe limitations for that with Maschine. I'll probably end up getting the Studio one. Sweet set up you have. I have a Privia keyboard, Reveal monitors and Scarlett 2i4 running ableton. I'd imagine I wouldn't use the scenes. I don't with ableton, just the arrangement view. Do you do finished mixes on Maschine, or take it to a DAW after you've played around?

I've already watched all those that don't require a big screen.

Is there any way to remove noise from a recording completely?
I'm trying to record an electric guitar with pic related and it gives exactly the low quality sound I want, but also a really strong interference noise that ruins the whole thing.

oy m8, its gone

Describe to me the process of producing a mellow rock album, like Grace by Jeff Buckley

How many steps does it take?
Also do note that too much compression will completely ruin this because the album uses alot of volume dynamics

thats so overproduced, I cant believe dads are into this sound. got that "the x remastered" sound with heavy as fuck panning and every track way over-isolated and clean

my bad attempt at making dark synthwave. Beyond the technical problem (sucking at making good sounding synths, sound mastering, no clue how to making distortion sound good), I really struggle with writing, always end up making something really repetitive, any attempt at bringing variation ends up clashing really hard with the rest. If you know of any good resource that is useful for learning proper composition, I'm all ears.
clyp.it/vfserdgi

It's not overproduced imo.

hey, my bad m8. I was really pissy, I have had a cup of coffee.

>I'm autistic
>pls like me

could be the wires

speaking from personal experience, the best resource to learn composition and a lot of other skills is try to remake your favorite songs, you'll pick up tons of shit during the process that you never did while just listening to music

when I trigger a track in ableton with the launchpad it also makes a piano sound; this thing is driving me fucking crazy, does anyone knows how to prevent this?

do you have other midi controllers in use?
in ableton preferences, what do you have turned on for the inputs/output of the launchpad?

I have only one controller in use; this is the situation: when I trigger the first track (the one on the right with the midi control assigned), it also trigger another sound. I unplugged and replugged the controller, opened a new track and did it again. Now it triggers a drum hit instead of the piano note but the problem persist

holy shit I'm a fucking dumb moron, I didn't noticed that thing in the middle, I deactivated it and now everything works fine; thanks anyway

how to make it so 808 doesn't bury the rest of my beat?

i added eq and soundgoodizer so i could hear go boom in my headphones but now it just drowns everything out. do i need to turn them off?

how to mix 808s? i am confuse

>soundgoodizer
There's your problem.

I tried to order ableton intro yesterday and the payment did not go through is this because my bank did not recognise this as a legitamite purchase since it ableton is based out of berlin germany.

what am I missing when I didn't pay up?

Dude.
www.thepiratebay.com

Bullshit.
The soundgoodizer is made to make my sounds sound good, so it can't be it that makes them sound bad.

Serious answers only please.

Also see this:

bait/10

Updated this..

clyp.it/2xewno4n

Need fresh ears.. How does the mix sound?
Any advice on how to blend in the drums better?

I know right?
How can he think he knows better than the FL Studio developers?
Fucking absurd.

clyp.it/1vbiyhka
Any feedback?

I'm mostly concerned about the tempo. I first recorded this song at 100bpm a few months ago but I feel like it's too fast now.

Question, I record on analog and get a very full sound through the headphones and on the mixdown deck aswell. but once I dump it into the DAW I lose alot of that same volume and punch. how do I preserve it inside the DAW? its being recorded at 24bit/96khz