Yanks

Yanks
Since most Europeans have gone to sleep and this is your moment to invade the board, nows the best time to ask you

What is your opinion of the FIFA World Cup?
How big an event is it advertised as when it's on?
Have you ever watched one?

>nows the best time to ask

There's kinda a big handegg game on right now

>What is your opinion of the FIFA World Cup?
Tin Pot cup
>How big an event is it advertised as when it's on?
Only advertised on the channel hosting it. No interest from other networks.
>Have you ever watched one?
Thank god no.

I was born in Boston but my parents are from Brazil so I've pretty much watched them all since the 98 one

I was crying when brazil got 3-0d haha

>opinion of the wc

fucking amazing, 2010 was kinda meh tho

ever since 1994 it has been a big event.

the 2006 wc set it back, but in general the world cup has been popular during landon donovan's career. he is basically synonymous with the wc and has had some memorable moments.

Look at my flag, there's nothing more to say.

I wondered why a random thread had been stickied, why is it so big? It's not that super bowl thing, right?

Does the tournament get the same disregard in everyday life as well, or is it just deprived of airtime on TV?

So you enjoy watching your NT lose? Don't worry bro, I feel the same

I love it, and it used to be the only soccer I would watch until recently.

Whoever's hosting it has tons of coverage, but outside of that, not really much attention or coverage except when USA is playing.

Have you ever watched one?
Yeah caught some of 2006 world cup, watched a lot of the 2010 and 2014 tournies.

I a tivelyhope the US misses it so coverage of it is slashed
Minimal outside of the channel broadcasting it, IIRC it's ESPN. Their shilling of it is probably insufferable, just like their shilling of anything else.
I tried to, not even rooting for America could save it.

>a tivelyhope
actively hope*

it's college football.

only idiots/southerners follow it

>It's not that super bowl thing, right?

>"That Super Bowl thing"

>consciously pretending to be more out of the loop and dismissive than you really are

Dude, you go on Sup Forums. You're aware enough of the Super Bowl to not call it "that Super Bowl thing". Stop being a fake twat.

literally didn't even know it existed until shakira waka waka

i really like it i just wish the men were better
it's a pretty big deal only when our country is playing
not really but i want to watch the next one

i want to waka waka shakira if you know what i mean

Italians, Snapish, Portuguese and South Americans care. It's decently big since there's nothing else on in the summer so people will tune in but only if the timezone is good for us to watch

>Snapish

I like it but I like soccer

Err, I guess it's a bit bigger than it used to be, since like 2010? It's still a sideshow here. You could easily go the whole tournament without being aware it's on unless you cared.

Yea but again I like soccer.

also this

>what is your opinion on FIFA World Cup
I give almost zero shits about Soccer but I'm glad that there are other people that can appreciate it.
>how big an event is it advertised as when it's on?
Almost non existent if the US isn't in. Even when they are it's still pretty under the radar
>have you ever watched one
nope. It makes me happy when people beat the Womens team though. Those shits think they're the biggest business in the US and can't even handle losing when they do lose. FIFAs shares in the US are tiny and they're almost non existent in womens so I don't understand why they think they deserve million dollar contracts when they can't even fill a stadium. Our mediocre mens teams do a better job filling stadiums than they do.

Reminder that we will win one before Mexico

I'm a white American in the northeast who never played soccer growing up. I began watching soccer because of the '06 World Cup.
I now watch more soccer than anything but American football, which is my favorite sport. I'm up every weekend to watch the Premier League, I follow my local MLS team and go to matches when I can, and I follow the USMNT religiously.
I took days off from work when they played at 2 PM each time during the last WC.
None of my friends care or find it that interesting, so I don't push it on them. I just take my girlfriend to matches when I can, she got into it because of me.
I also now waste tons of time playing FM.

If the US is still in it people will have the USA game in the background while they drink.

pretty neat. Kinda shitty schedules in the group stages because two or more games can be on at the same time, plus theres some really weak teams who are guranteed losers in their groups. But underdogs are good.

not at all. Not even for our games. Youd hear "the US team is playing today" or "the US lost/won today..." and thats pretty much it

watched 2014, mightve watched some of 2010, I cant remember

>opinion on the FIFA World Cup
Cool

>how big an even is it advertised as when it's on?
ESPN will run ads for a few months and have more people come in to talk about soccer. ESPN broadcast all the games so pretty much everyone has access to it. Major networks will talk about it once when it's on but other then that don't expect much coverage from them unless there's some personal story they can tell or the US is doing well.

>have you ever watched one?
Ever since 2004
Had a lot more of my friends who watched the 2014 World Cup

I found out the World Cup existed when Shakira made that Waka Waka song. Then the country sort of cared for a week in the summer of 2014, then we all forgot about it again. It's not really a big deal here. It's kind of like olympic swimming or running. We'll care for a short period of time every 4 years, but that's about it.

The only people who care about soccer here are Mexicans and Washingtonians (northwest, not DC).

The USA games get a fairly large amount of hype. I went to watch 2 of them at bars and both times the bars were completely packed with people despite it being 2 pm on a weekday. Granted this was in Columbus, OH which has a MlelS team and lots of college kids.

The TV coverage is on our biggest sports station, ESPN, so they try to shill it. It helps that it's on during a rather dead period in American sports. People will watch soccer in the summer cuz nothing else is on besides baseball.

Pretty based for a non-colored burger.

Fuck the World Cup. Now that 48 countries will be in it, it's fucking worthless.

>watched 2014, mightve watched some of 2010, I cant remember

Underage pls go

5/5

Calling it Football for this context but I normally wouldn't.

It's cool. Since most of the world likes Football and tries to be good at it there's reasonable amounts of parity despite it being skewed toward like 10 countries in the end as far as I know.

It's cool to see countries compete with what are essentially all-star teams.

However I still don't care about Football. I would care more about a World Cup as relevant as this if there were a sport I liked (Hockey, American Football, Baseball) in it.

Almost never see advertisements for it outside of occasional ones on Sports channels that broadcast Football like ESPN and FOX. Nobody really gets excited for it from what I can tell though, and I live in the spic part of the country where people actually give a fuck about Football. But I never know when the FIFA games are on, I only ever hear about them on Sup Forums.

I've never watched Football in my life.

Meh. I'd probably care more if the USA had a chance to win.

Feels pretty forced desu. Kind of like a movie where all the critics say its going to be the best thing to ever happen and it ends up being a wasted evening, only spread out over an entire month.

Not really, there were other things I on tv that were more interesting. I find soccer to something I can enjoy while at the actual stadium, but watching it on tv seems to take fucking forever