How well would movie Aragorn do against Azog?

How well would movie Aragorn do against Azog?
Aragorn in the books is pretty much unstoppable, but I think movie Aragorn would have serious trouble.
Aragorn nearly lost a 1v1 against an Uruk at the end of fellowship IIRC.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/sqjfq5gsfYk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Aragorn had just carved his way through a hundred Uruks before he fought Lurtz. Then, after killing him, he spent 3 days and nights running after the hobbits. He takes shits tougher than Azog Duh Defiler.

Seriously this.

Also azog in the book got btfo for his trouble as the dwarves exterminated almost every orc stronghold in the misty mountains.

fuck Azog, he was a shitty plastic action figure of a villain. Lurtz was 100x more memorable and threatening with his five minutes of screentime

Azog would have looked more menacing if he was darker. I can't take pale orcs seriously.

Azog vs. Gothmog, who wins?

I really liked his doggo.

Aren't Uruk Hai stronger than Orcs? Aragorn would waste him like nothing.

Azog got fucked by a dwarf, how well do you think it would have done agains the last of the Numenoreans?

Azog. Gothmog is disabled so most orcs could probably beat his ass. He's probably smarter and a better general than most orcs though

Azog. Gothmog is basically a cripple.

>Aren't Uruk Hai stronger than Orcs?
Against your generic Orc? Yes. Movie Azog was not a generic Orc. He was pretty much on par with Uruks.

>Aragorn would waste him like nothing.
Doubtful. Azog was as capable as an Uruk, but had much more combat experience.

Fucking Legolas had a hard time with Bolg and even he was killing Uruks left and right in LoTR.

Pretty sure azog was an orc created by Morgoth back in the first age, so you can't compare him to regular orc, or even uruk hai.

Regular orcs/goblins are essentially feral dogs that combine a wide variety of abilities and attributes, while the Fighting Uruk-Hai are a specially bred caste of military core units. Azog obviously is quite a big ork, I assume on par with Uruk-Hai.

Both "orc" and "uruk" are fundamentally the same word in-universe, but "uruk" is Orcish/Black Speech, "orc" is Westron/Gondorian, and it comes from Elvish "orqui" (ogre, demon, scary-thing-that-lives-in-shadows). Tolkien uses the English word "goblin" again to supposedly represent the in-universe, technically untranslatable words the characters are using.

HOWEVER

Why'd they change the warg design completely in the hobbit films?

>Why'd they change the warg design completely in the hobbit films?

Different tribe, different warg breed.

Who is the best mortal or immortal fighter in the books? Also as I understand there is some sort of an monotheistic God in Tolkien's world, is it like in Narnia the christian God?

Never liked the Hyena design

Yes there is a monotheistic God his name is Tom Bombadil

Azog is cgi and isn't real. Aragorn would just push the power button on the computer, idiot.

>Who is the best mortal or immortal fighter in the books?

Dunno about immortals But in LoTR, Aragorn, I think, was implied to be the best. Eomer, Imrahil and Boromir were pretty high tier respectively though.

Elendil and Gil-galad probably, they rekt Sauron

>Elendil and Gil-galad

>they rekt Sauron

kek

Azog
>Spends entire life fighting and training to fight midgets.
>Crowning achievement is killing oldest fighting midget I'm a battle
>Might not have even 1v1nd him
>Gets arm cut off by vengeful midget son.
>Nopes out for 30-40 years
>Comes back ready to hunt midgets again.
>Dies to the same midget he spend his hidden away years plotting to kill. Barely leaves midget with a fatal wound.

Vs Aragorn
>Dunadine Ranger
>Fought all his life in every possible battle scenario raiding, small skirmishing, 1vmillioning orcs, evil men etc etc.
>Regarded as one of the greatest warriors alive even by physics defying elves
>took on super orcs in droves.
> literally sliced through super orcs like butter.
>One v ones super orc leader after probably hours of fighting and leaving a wake of already 50 dead super orcs behind him alone.
>Wins one v one even though super orc had to be crippled 4 times before he would die.

Idk user. Ijdk

>But at the last the siege was so strait that Sauron himself came forth; and he wrestled with Gil-galad and Elendil, and they both were slain, and the sword of Elendil broke under him as he fell. But Sauron also was thrown down, and with the hilt-shard of Narsil Isildur cut the Ruling Ring from the hand of Sauron and took it for his own.

Of course they rekt him, then Isildur stole the ring

.... huh

Never even thought of that.

Was it ever implied to be true?

>Azog
>Spends entire life fighting and training to fight midgets.
He's thousands of years old. Hardly his entire life.
>Crowning achievement is killing oldest fighting midget I'm a battle
You don't know that.
>Might not have even 1v1nd him
He did though.
>Gets arm cut off by vengeful midget son.
True
>Nopes out for 30-40 years
More like 60 or so.
>Dies to the same midget he spend his hidden away years plotting to kill. Barely leaves midget with a fatal wound.
You realize said midgets are typically stronger than humans, right? And he landed the kill blow on Thorin before Thorin got him back. He was always going to win, but Thorin took Azog with him.

>Aragorn
>Dunadine Ranger
Not for alot of the time.
>Fought all his life in every possible battle scenario raiding, small skirmishing, 1vmillioning orcs, evil men etc etc.
He spent the first few decades of his life in comfort at Imladris under Elrond's care. And 1v1mill is a ridiculous exaggeration. Even for Tolkien.
>Regarded as one of the greatest warriors alive even by physics defying elves
True.
>took on super orcs in droves.
Not the only person to do this.
> literally sliced through super orcs like butter.
Again, not something unique to him.
>One v ones super orc leader after probably hours of fighting and leaving a wake of already 50 dead super orcs behind him alone.

Azog against Aragorn would be a close match.

Whatever the script says.

No.

The creator is named Eru, which means "He who is Alone".

>Aragorn nearly lost a 1v1 against an Uruk

Lad, you sound like a regular down the Prancing Pony who doesn't have a bloody clue what he's talking about.

This wasn't just any old Uruk. This was LURTZ, first bred, made for violence and war. His first act coming into the world was to kill. Chief among his brothers, strongest and most bloodthirsty, inspiring terror among friend and foe alike.

That Aragorn took him down even after all the others is testament to his strength and endurance as a warrior.

The ultimate God is Eru. He's like the Christian God since he created the universe and everything, including others Gods.

>Of course they rekt him

>they rekt him

Dude, fucking Gil-Galad was incinerated from standing too close to Sauron. He wrecked both of them and then took a cheap shot by Isildur.

>Was it ever implied to be true?

Not really. Tolkien deliberately never elaborated on Bombadil. There are theories though. Some think he might be a Valar.

>and they both were slain, and the sword of Elendil broke under him as he fell. But Sauron also was thrown down

Can you read? Isildur didn't even take a part in the fight. Even Tolkien in the Letters writes:

> Gilgalad and Elendil are slain in the act of slaying Sauron.

They lost their immortality a couple generations after their corruption, he was estimated to be 150

As far as all lure that I've read and seen, killing the midget king was his biggest success combatively.
If you have some fan fiction you want to share let's hear it.

I get that magic midgets get a buff on durability and strength.
I get it. But he still couldn't out right win a fight against a dwarf with out it having been an elderly one, or with back up. The mortal wound being first is a moot point. If anything, the fact that he had handicapped the midget that bad and still died first proves he was poor shit in a fight compared to the rest of the hero's and villains in the tolkienverse.

He spent his pre adolescence in a city training and learning from the best elves had to offer then went out to fight around in middle earth once he reached adulthood. Let's not pretend he had some kind of failure to launch here lol.
And yeah it was an exaggeration, good catch.
First one to face the hord of super orcs. Killed everyone that didn't avoid him with a wide buffer. Idk seems a bit above any of the other characters, even the CGI buffed ones tbqhf.

I think azog would run into it cocky and get his ass handed to him. There is literally no context for him to come out the winner in most any match up, let alone against the best of men

>There is literally no context for him to come out the winner in most any match up

In the books he was the king of the goblins (goblin = orc) who dwelt in Moria. That alone proves that he came out the winner in many a match up, he ruled for many years then was hunted down.

In the movies however he was much more, and even was under the direct command of the Necromancer (Dark Lord Sauron). Sauron wouldn't commune with some weakling. Azog was much more than Lurtz.

There's a theory that (book) Gothmog might actually be a Maiar in Orc form. If so then he'd wreck Azog pretty easily.

what

how come they lost that siege then

Could have been a lesser Maiar, or had limitations due to being in an Orc body.

To be fair though, it's all conjecture. Gothmog is barely mentioned in the books, and even then only in passing. He could have been anything from a human to a run-of-the-mill Uruk to a Maiar. He could even have been intended as one of the Nazgul.

Sauron didn't have much choice but communicate with an orc at that point seeing he was BTFO out of his body and was trying to get his power back as the Necromancer

>"I like pulling things out of my ass" the post

We are talking combat prowess, not leadership or sociopolitical capabilities. I know he is a bit more than your average run of the mill orc, but out of all major characters, azog is one of the weakest if we are talking head to head matchups. I am sorry but I just don't see the guy who spanked 5 nazgul at once alone having any difficulty against the guy who bitched out after getting a wound that, even in this medieval yet magical universe, was not fatal.

>We are talking combat prowess, not leadership or sociopolitical capabilities.

They're orks, the biggest one who can form coherent thoughts is the leader.
Yeah, Aragorn would win but it wouldn't be an easy fight.

Much more than lurtz? I mean out side of arsenal of weapons used, what area of combat is he better in? He can't win a brawl against a dwarf, he can't fence a dwarf, he has no ranged skills. Shit we only ever saw him move distances on a catagor, what kind of cardio does they guy have.

Lurtz has endurance, power, tactics, and doesn't bitch out after a couple wounds.

Idk what you are talking about

youtu.be/sqjfq5gsfYk

So with out siting the fan theories in this thread, explain gothmog.

Orcs are brutes. But they understand the need for leaders and intelligence vs strength and menace.
Also like I said, he is more than your average orc, granted. Bit as far as major characters go, shit tier. His son was better in combat, but couldn't lead because he was brain damaged.

This guy says that Tolkien didn't write much about him. You are asking for me to explain why he was portrayed in the movies like an old crippled general.

The answer is simple: the movies are not cannon and therefore inaccurate, the did it because some script writer thought it was cool.

He's not necessarily an orc in the book. They just say that the general's name is Gothmog. And Gothmog is also the name of the chief balrog in The Silmarillion.

why did i kek so hard

If you watch the scene from the movie aragorn only struggles when hes off-guard. When it gets to 1-1 swordfighting aragorn kills lurtz in like 3 secs. Movie aragorn would btfo any orc in the series

wouldn't a chief balrog be more noteworthy than the ringwraights?
I mean if the general was so powerful surely Tolkien would write more about him, the fan theories are probably untrue.

Gothmog the balrog was killed in like the first age, so they only share a name.

It's probably and honorary title. Sauron always wanted to imitate his lord, would make sense for him to call one of his generals after one of his lord's generals.
The same goes for pic related. It was named after Morgoth's hammer. Unless it really IS Morgoth's hammer, which would make him to be indeed terrifying.

>Reminder that Peter Jackson had a local abo be mutated into a real Uruk Hai and fight Viggo Mortensen with real weapons for the filming of this scene.

Viggo himself can beat the shit out of Azog.

Viggo makes me want to be a better man.

Grond was "just" an enormous battering ram which Sauron imbued with spells of ruin, making it so evil that the trolls pushing it occasionally went insane and run off trampling everything around them.

Best fighter? Ultimately, Tulkas. He wrecked the shit out of Morgoth without any effort while laughing all the way.
In Middle Earth, I guess the best ever is Fingolfin (he managed to injure Morgoth in single combat, not even most Maiar could've done that), but Ecthelion (killed Gothmog, the greatest balrog ever), Gil-galad, Glorfindel, or even Turin are pretty strong as well.
The great heroes of the first age are not even comparable to Aragorn.

This. Aragorn was a fucking tank of a man. A real legacy of the Numenoeans.

Grond was Melkor/Morgoth's hammer. I'm assuming his remaining forces kept it and use it as a battering ram since no one can really wield it anymore

Aragorn the Second's (downplayed) feats in the movies:
>Fight off 5 Nazguls with a torch and a normal sword.
>Fight off at least a hundred Uruk Hais when the Fellowship were ambushed. Then proceed to do a cross country for three days with no rest, expecting to fight another hundred at the end of said run.
>Fell off a cliff after a battle, got carried by the currents, rode for a day half alive once he reached a shore then spent the next day fighting.
>Got blown off by two bombs that took down a fortress wall then spent the battle mostly soloing (or duoing with Gimli) a dozen Uruk Hais at a time.
>Just typical wrecking ork shit in battle in the third movie.

The guy's a monster. He didn't join in on Legolas and Gimli's kill count game because he probably killed more than both combined. The only thing he can't kill are things way above his power level (the Balrog, Sauron, etc)

You think Morgoth had a hammer shaped like a warg? No, IIRC it is written in the Return of the King that it was forged in Mordor in the 3rd era. They could have used metal from the hammer of the underworld, but I don't think so.

Actually no, it was only named after it. It was forged in Mordor. But I actually had to look that up right now because I started to think you might have been right and that I might have missed that part of the story.

Everything that is Melkor has been thoroughly banished after his defeat. He is not even a spirit like Sauron. He is utterly banished until his eventual return (and ultimate defeat) at the end of the world. Nothing of Morgoth remained, they made sure of that. That's how Sauron rose to power. Even a single sliver of Morgoth would overpower Sauron's will.

>mfw they almost had Aragorn fight Sauron at the Black Gates

You dodged a bullet, PJ.

Although it probably would've looked cool

It would've looked exactly like his fight with the troll. They actually used the footage and put the troll over Sauron.

>eventual return (and ultimate defeat) at the end of the world

How many ages has Tolkien written? He hasn't outlined everything until the end of the world, or has he?

tom bombadil is just a glitch in the system, like mr. anderson.

only difference is he doesn't care about world domination etc, even if he could easily fuck the world balance up.

TurĂ­n is pretty GOAT. Being propheciesed to deal the killing blow to Melkor

this thread is so /tg/ at first I thought you meant old man henderson

I think it says in his documents that the fourth age was peaceful and ruled by Aragorn for like hundreds of years and then his son etc. Last vestiges of the dark forces werent killed until e reign of his son. Only a few cults popped up after that. And ages dont last a specific amount of time, just from one very important event to another. He said ages are getting shorter, so like 1th world war and 2nd world war are different ages.

But at the end of the world the Ragnarok or ehatever he called it in Lotr will happen and Morgoth will escape from the Gate of Night and all great heroes will clash once again, leading to eternal peace once they defeat all evil or some shit, or maybe a new song will be sung or something. Norse sagas state that things will return to the way they were before, with the gods going back to their primordial state of only frolicking and not interfering with humans at all.

Five
>Age 0 where God and his minor gods created the world
>First Age: the elves woke up and ruined everything, Morgoth nearly destroyed the world. The age ended with his defeat.
>Second Age: mankind rose to power and ruined everything. Sauron nearly destroyed the world. The age ended with his apparent defeat.
>Third Age: mankind are still in power and still ruining everything. Sauron nearly started to destroy the world. The age ended with his final defeat.
>Fourth Age: the end of the story, probabyl current age.
>??? Age: Morgoth returns and it's Tolkienesque Revelation Ragnarok.

Part of Middle-Earth is being a creation story for British mythology. By the Fourth Age, presumably, we'd be moving into (more or less) our own world.

>tfw you realized Frodo sailed into space

Ha, dwarves never ruined everything, truly best race.

William the Conqueror was literally Eldarions grandson

How would arrogon do in Warcraft????

He wud kill the demongs and undead and arthas and the liching and the orcas

TOM BOM
JOLLY TOM BOM
TOM Bombadill-OOOOOO

sounds like some Op shit, since I saw the cgi of Arthas (i think wc3 and lich king).