Welcome to the Salty Spi/moo/n. How patrician are ya?

Welcome to the Salty Spi/moo/n. How patrician are ya?

Surf's Up is better than Pet Sounds

>I listen to music
yeah so?
>without any headphones

I pronounce it: em- you
....faggot

Hip-hop is music!

>Spi/moo/n
reported

DAMN is AOTY

I stopped listening to metal by age 13 and rap at age 9.

I "get" sunn O)))

I pronounce Sun O))) as sun oh then 3 of those weird indian hand cup sounds.

I stopped listening to music at two months in the womb. I only listen to malfunctioning tractor noises now and try to assess what could be wrong with them.

>thinking this makes you patrician and not pleb

>summer heat gets to this hothead

me-you

me-yow

XTC > Duran Duran >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Talking Heads

Rap has never produced a 10, but the closest its gotten was Yeezus, Funcrusher Plus and Madvillain

Jazz is one of the best genres out there

Radiohead is just "good"

Mingus = Coltrane > Ornette Coleman = Miles Davis > Dexter Gordon > Alice Coltrane > Duke Ellington >>>> Pharaoh Sanders

While Scaruffi is pretty insane in the head, his positive reviews are really accurate and his "top x albums of all times" lists are usually accurate

Delta Blues is still today some of the best music ever made

The best prog music came out of Canterbury.

Some rap is great, but all gangster rap is retarded.

I stopped listening to music ironically and now only listen post-ironically.

>but the closest its gotten was Yeezus
wrong teenage opinion safely discarded

Lately I've been listening to The Keggs, David Peel & The Lower East Side and other 60's garage (mostly screamers), Khmer psychedelic music, Cigarettes After Sex, my Ceremony cassette box set came in, just went to a record store and picked up Matthew Dear - Beams, Wye Oak - Civilian, and Francoise Hardy S/T. I think I might order the new Chelsea Wolfe.

Mike Love was right all along.

the best pink floyd album is UMMAGUMMA

come on in

dummy

What is this, 2014?

Charles Mingus is the most overrated Jazz artist of all time. Too many poppy hooks rather than portraying emotional variety through technique and his arrangements are amateur baby stuff compared to even the most common arrangement techniques used by *insert generic film/game composer*.

Jimmy Giuffre is mad underrated when it comes to jazz. On his record Freefall, he does more with a clarinet than most jazz musicians tend to do with their instruments on a single record.

Metal is the only popular music genre worth listening to as in pure musical terms it focuses entirely on having a lot of hooks per tracks in the form of riffs and a lot of visceral energy. Popular music by nature is only really capable of hooks and visceral intensity. Anything else (your Radioheads, King Crimsons, hip hops, etc.) are on pure musical terms instead offering watered down takes on not only the nature of popular music (low visceral energy, not as many riffs/hooks as the average metal track), but also their art music ambitions as well since they are too limited by being popular music to really explore such ideas.

I agree

I fuck with Lil B

That is one of the worst rationales for an opinion I've ever read.

But hey, I'm happy you even GAVE a rationale instead of just mindlessly shitting all over everything like 99.999% of Sup Forums threads

>doesn't even give rationales himself
Lmao

I listen to the swans and the death grips

I'd take issue with
>Popular music by nature is only really capable of hooks and visceral intensity.

We will probably just straight up disagree about that, but I think there's a much wider emotional spectrum than "visceral intensity" available in popular music.

Also, the post seems to suggest that more hooks = better, which is silly to me. Some of the greatest popular songs succeed by doing something simple very well, too many "hooks" can dilute the impact of a strong melody or idea.

I exclusively listen to youtube mp3 downloads through macbook integral speakers.

>music

>not post-post-unironically
Get with the times pleb

>but I think there's a much wider emotional spectrum
This is purely subjective and thus not worth anything at all in a discussion. A kid with cancer that uses their Make A Wish to meet Justin Beiber gets far more emotionally out of a Beiber track meanwhile most on Sup Forums might say that's his stuff is emotionally vapid. Neither is more valid than the other.

>Also, the post seems to suggest that more hooks = better, which is silly to me.
Lower number of hooks means the user is not as fully engaged, nor is there as much progression that helps give the music its driven quality. This certainly does not mean that the optimal approach is to have zero repetition as then the listener wouldn't be engaging with the music with mind and body. But maximum user engagement I think makes for good music, and for that there can't be too much repetition in the realm of popular music, leave repetition to the master of minimalism and totalism.

I would argue that popular music is less limited than many forms of art music due to the variety of extended techniques available to one.
The only thing that comes close to the sonic possibilities of popular music stored in a recorded format is some electronically generated pieces and musique concrete.
Production can not be stored on a staff, nor can many attributes used in popular music.
Also, what is the distinction between popular music and art music. Where does jazz fall in the categorization? The majority of jazz is made to be played for entertainment purposes. Jazz compositions were initially limited to the 3-4 minute format of the 78rpm record. Vocal jazz? Big Band? Where is the line drawn? Is jazz not derivative of blues which is undeniably popular music?
Is incidental music created for a film or play or video game art music?

>I would argue that popular music is less limited than many forms of art music due to the variety of extended techniques available to one.
Which are all available to use to other forms of music as well.
>The only thing that comes close to the sonic possibilities of popular music stored in a recorded format is some electronically generated pieces and musique concrete.
Electronic music goes far beyond popular music as a whole when it comes to sonic possibilities using a variety of technology.
>Production can not be stored on a staff, nor can many attributes used in popular music.
But they can stored on electronic devices.
>Where does jazz fall in the categorization?
It technically falls under all three supergenres.
>Is incidental music created for a film or play or video game art music?
It depends. A Tarantino movie OST that usually entails songs, nope since it's a collection of popular music. Something like the work of John Williams for Star Wars? Yes since it's programmatic.

Holy shit you are autistic

I've always pronounced it as SUN OJ I don't know why

>don't realize that post-ironically has my mailman deliver new music to my door just for me to trash it
i share a board with plebs

>post irony in current year
Pleb get with the times

>Canterbury scene

Soft Machine should be Sup Forumscore.

Yeah. Because you use speakers right?

so patrician i inject my music into my veins