John Mayer

Do you consider him one of the best singer-songwriters of the 1990s-2000s?

His albums, ranked
>1. Born & Raised
>2. Continuum
>3. Room For Squares
>4. The Search For Everything
>5. Heavier Things
>6. Battle Studies
>7. Inside Wants Out

Bonus:
>Favorite B-side
In Your Atmosphere

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kmfZXZronW8
youtube.com/watch?v=_DfQC5qHhbo
youtube.com/watch?v=niHRqZTI4T4
youtube.com/watch?v=EPbARyEEjr4
youtube.com/watch?v=QwAMXFEFs9w&t
youtube.com/watch?v=nUNcHsREIsQ
youtube.com/watch?v=nJgwSICbIBk
youtube.com/watch?v=MwPKcXO-bJw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

his kid a cover is great
youtube.com/watch?v=kmfZXZronW8

I think he stands out among the sea of douchebag white guys with a guitar from the 90s and 00s, sure.

I love how he disappeared into Montana for like 2 years and emerged with long hair and the best album he's ever made.

He's one of a handful of singer-songwriters that shines on both acoustic and electric guitar.

youtube.com/watch?v=_DfQC5qHhbo

My favorite rendition of Neon. Such a great main riff.

He's the goat of our generation without question, can fluidly roam through different genres and its still pop.

>jamming with stevie

youtube.com/watch?v=niHRqZTI4T4

youtube.com/watch?v=EPbARyEEjr4

ya bahdie iz a wondalaynd

He's the Billy Joel of the 2000s

He's actually very good and extremely talented but the critics hate him because he's successful

I saw him during a Dead and Company show in San Jose a couple weeks ago. He's a good singer and definitely a great guitar player, but I like his music too.

When it comes to critical acclaim, I think his good looks actually hurt him in. Lots of people dismiss because he's a bit of a pretty boy. Ricky Nelson Syndrome.

I would agree that he his one of the best.

I've always rated Mayer desu. Since I was 10 years old when Your Body is a Wonderland came out. Now, that's not his best song but it was a pretty refreshing pop song to hear on the radio at the time. His best work has to be Continuum, which honestly might be in my top20 albums ever. I adore that album front to back, particularly the song Vultures. I like his folf/country vibe going since Born and Raised. That album got a lot of plays sitting on the deck drinking with friends in the summer sun.

I haven't heard his new album yet but I'm sure it'll be up to standard.

I don't know but he's got one of the best guitar faces out there

i was talking about this with my brother the other day, he really makes love to his instrument, excellent musician, hes a natural

100%. He has no respect from music snobs or indie because he's so unbelievably successful. Doesn't matter though he has credit from legends of music anyway.

John Mayer is a living legend desu

I saw him at the forum in LA a couple months ago. Watching him solo on slow dancing was one of the greatest experiences of my life.

Poor man's John Frusciante

Mayer claimed that he didn't have a "wrap a corvette around a lamppost" moment because his battle was an "intellectual one"... He also said that he's an "ex ego addict"... The guy is a fucking tool.

Biggest poser to ever make it big in music.

That's my favorite song of his. Such bluesy/groovy but dismal but romantic track.

Well, like that's just your opinion, bro.

there there bud, your gf will get back with you...KEK

t. fanboys
I'm not saying he's not a good guitar player, he's just a cunt.

One of my favorite artists of all time and probably the most criminally underrated guitar player in the world.

For me it's:
1. Continuum
2. Room For Squares
3. The Search for Everything
4. Born & Raised
5. Heavier Things
6. Inside Wants Out
7. Battle Studies

Frusciante is way different

That's your problem for not having the ability to separate the artist from his art.

For me, it's
1. Continuum
2. Born and Raised
3. Battle Studies
4. Paradise Valley
6. John Mayer Trio
6. Room for Squares
7. Heavier Things

watching him jam with thundercat and steve jordan is mesmerizing

youtube.com/watch?v=QwAMXFEFs9w&t

these vids always get me

youtube.com/watch?v=nUNcHsREIsQ

youtube.com/watch?v=nJgwSICbIBk

kk literally forget about his personality and everything you knew about him and just blindly listen to his music. You'll fall in live quick, think 2000's too.

BRRRRRRAAAAAAPPPPPP

They are one, not separate, you fucking moron.
As much as you might try to claim otherwise, it's simply not true. The music is an extension of him. It is literally him, so therefore his "personality" is important too.

To understand the context of the work, it is better to know the man too, as well as you can. You're a pleb though, so fuck it, do as you do

if he just kept his fucking mouth shit and realized he wasn't as clever as he thinks he is, he wouldn't be so disliked. he really likes to hear himself talk. he is good at the guitar, very competent and clean albeit his trick bag isn't that big and once you listen to a couple of his solos, you've heard all he has to offer and his singing voice is even less broad, but his personality is fucking disgusting.

one of the best singer songwriters of the 90s/00s? I don't know. that's hard to gauge. he hasn't written anything that impressed me lyrically. it's just generic pop garbage. he will be remembered for his guitar, not his song writing. I think "Say" and part of "Daughters" are the only songs he's written worth even listening to. he always ruins his songs, and that's because he's a fucking pop song writer. he doesn't know how to make a song that is just good. he knows how to make hooks and that's it. fuck that.

this, he's a gigantic tool. comparing him to frusciante is fucking weird though.

The only pleb here is you

He's Nsync if they were a single person and played a guitar, shiny 2000s era muzak, not for me thanks

Well, I think Mayer idolises SRV, and Frusciante the same with Hendrix. They are like polar opposites.

Mayer is a typical square musician. He went to Berklee, dropped out, realised he could probably pass his good looks off and make some money under the guise of """"music"""" (his music is worthless shit, he sells tickets cos he's good looking)
Uninspired elevator music about buying curtains for your mansion and the pains of having a huge expensive watch collection. Great guitar player in terms of technical ability, but music is shit anyway.

Frusciante is the "artist" musician. In his prime, a druggie fuck up with 0 regard for anything but his love for music. He went to what probably felt like the end of the world and back in the 90's, all for the love of music. He's lucky to be alive now. His music is good, connects with many people globally. His guitar playing is good, he has his own unique style, so much so, that you know it's him after hearing a few notes.

Both are of similar age (I think), both have huge followings. So that is why he's a "Poor man's Frusciante", because the type of person who listens to Mayer, is an uninteresting waste of a human being, a worthless pleb, they'll never create anything worthwhile or valuable, nor understand it...and so I consider them "poor men".

t. A "berklee" type
I bet you have a degree in music huh

Why are you so angry

>Mayer is a typical square musician. He went to Berklee, dropped out, realised he could probably pass his good looks off and make some money under the guise of """"music"""" (his music is worthless shit, he sells tickets cos he's good looking)
Uninspired elevator music about buying curtains for your mansion and the pains of having a huge expensive watch collection. Great guitar player in terms of technical ability, but music is shit anyway.

what in the actual fuck are you on about? How does it feel to be objectively wrong? You sound like a disgruntled guitar player who will never go anywhere and are just jealous of someone with actual talent.

>Both are of similar age (I think), both have huge followings. So that is why he's a "Poor man's Frusciante", because the type of person who listens to Mayer, is an uninteresting waste of a human being, a worthless pleb, they'll never create anything worthwhile or valuable, nor understand it...and so I consider them "poor men".
Why can't you like both? Why are you such a bitch?

>He thinks swear words means anger
How sensitive are you? No surprise you like Mayer... his music is for teenage girls after all

t. A Mayer fan
Mayer is a great player, don't get me wrong, but that is all.

And if you can't understand my post, then you're a pleb anyway.

Like whatever you want, you stupid fuck

Are you age 14-17 by any chance?

right so if some racist bastard from some old erar writes a beautiful symphony, its no longer good, shut up you malaka

You don't consider continuum music? Because if not i'll just have to accept that you have no appreciation of music or musical ability whatsoever.

youtube.com/watch?v=MwPKcXO-bJw
hes the goat

>his music is for teenage girls after all
I think the only mayer you've ever listened to is your body is a wonderland lmao

Well first of all, you're implying that Racism is always bad. Or even, bad at all.
Also, yes, him being a "racist bastard" probably spilled over into his art one way or another in this example of yours, so it's important to include when looking at his overall creative output.
An artist and their work are one. It is one. You cannot separate them. Understand, dumb cunt?

No

Point me to where I said it's not music?! Shut the fuck up already, you stupid fuck.
He's a good player, he makes shit music though. His talents are wasted making pop songs about nothing for teenage girls.

I've listened to his entire discography. Say whatever you want though
He's a good player, his music is worthless. That's my opinion

i feel like frusciantes reclusive bullshit in the 90s ruined him. the guitar for under the bridge, soul to squeeze, it was so fucking good. his guitar playing after he came back was just even close. that's what happens when you shoot up speedballs instead of playing guitar for 5 years straight. his guitar in that period was so fucking perfect for what he was doing. late 90s and up, it's not the same to me. he doesnt even play anymore and is getting ass fucked in a divorce right now so who gives a shit. i feel like he could have been huge but he just didn't have the confidence and took the struggling pained artist thing in the wrong direction. a little too nuts or stupid or something. mayer is the exact opposite. way too confident, with a really fake struggling artist thing.

i like some of the stuff frusciante has done since his drug bullshit, but I feel like he squandered what could have been. maybe i'm wrong, who the fuck knows.

off topic, but I could say the same for fucking varg vikernes. he probably would also have been a bigger deal if he didn't go to jail and fuck up his life at like 21. he'd probably be some huge black metal guy now, but he fucked up and now he's just some nut living in the woods that everyone knows for killing a guy.

I could even say the same for eric johnson. if he stopped fucking with his tone bullshit and went to a psychologist for OCD or something, he probably would be known for more than fucking cliffs of dover and maybe manhatten. even he has said himself that he regrets wasting his time giving a shit about his tones to such a retarded level. although he had a ear injury in the mid 90s so maybe that fucked him.

mayer is technically clean and good on guitar. he just went the lame route with it and played lame pop songs for the money so he could have nice houses and multi-million dollar watch collections and other ridiculous shit.

>No
That's embarrassing

>Point me to where I said it's not music?!

>and make some money under the guise of """"music""""

Maybe he meant (((((music))))))
He did just posit whether racism was bad

it pains me to say it cause i think he's a bit of a douche but he's one of the best guitarists of his generation

Being successful doesn't mean being "huge", though.
Frusciante was fucked up precisely because he was just a kid when he joined RHCP, he didn't know what to expect, how could he?
Imagine being 18-19 and you just wrote Under The Bridge and now you're on every TV in the country, travelling the world, etc?
He even said that he didn't realise at first that people would actually be listening to his music. In his mind, he was just playing guitar in his bedroom, and now people are actually buying his music from shops and listening to it, etc, he couldn't comprehend it.
He didn't "go too far", he got hooked on hard drugs and got fucked up by them.

Anyway, I still think his playing is great anyway. I think his solo albums are too.
I don't think he blew anything, what makes him him, (and any artist, really) is the same thing that makes him a junkie, or makes him create good music, or makes him weird, or have odd habits, or mentally fucked etc. It's all part of the parcel.

Well it depends on the context, doesn't it? Who told you racism is bad, and why is it bad? You tell me, in your own words, why racism is bad.
"Racism" is just a made up word, what does it mean?! You tell me, why is it bad? Are you denying inherent differences between races? No? Because I could show you proof of that. Is wanting to group together with people who share similar qualities as you bad? No? Yes? So why do human beings have this built into us via evolution then?

Racism is just a fucking word. Someone told you it was bad and you believed them, because you're fucking stupid.

???

What can he feel about being wrong when he's not? Also
>You sound like a disgruntled guitar player who will never go anywhere and are just jealous of someone with actual talent.
Projection

Holy shit John Mayer?

You fucking yuppie privileged milquetoast blank page style-less human vacuums need to stop digesting anything utilizing a creative or communicative medium.

Jesus fucking christ what you idiots on about? John Mayer? God damnit you should be so ashamed. Talking like "oh ya he's toats goat" you shit stain maggot ass hacks.

Ugh what the fuck.

Back to tumblr you go.

shitty lyrics

great guitar playing

I acknowledge that he's a talented guitar player but everything about his music (the content, the sound, his voice) is incredibly bland and uninspired. He makes Starbucks background music for mediocre white women with zero personality.

Terrible.
He's like a pop-Steve Vai.