Why does this film get so much hate? I feel like the performances, sets, and overall vibe is wonderful...

Why does this film get so much hate? I feel like the performances, sets, and overall vibe is wonderful. I always was confused over the hate. Hell they even made a sequal movie so it must of done good anyway. What are your thoughts?

I thought it was ok

Me too user. I dont like woody since I believe his voice is alittle monotone

It mostly pissed off Christfags because of muh heresy and because it reminded people that early Christianity wasn't a single belief system.

It was a serviceable translation of the book. Ian McKellen I had forgotten was in this. Jean Reno was also a great choice.
Didn't like Hanks in this. They could have picked somebody else I think to play this role better. Hanks is like Tom Cruise in the sense that, well, it's always him in that movie and you can't shake it off. Catch me if you can was the only movie I didn't get feel though because he was playing antagonist and it worked.

Was a perfectly good movie.

Im watching it now and ja king off to the dude with white hair. Love me some gay bdsm

It's ok. Somewhat lacked the pace and excitement of the book.

it was ok

This is literally one of my favorite films of all time. It's one of the comfiest movies ever made, the performances are solid, it's a great adventure story, and while the subject matter is a bit campy, it's not totally unbelievable.

Not being ironic, but IMO, it's close to a 10/10

Misrepresented Gnosticism horribly.

I don't think it's really about Gnosticism instead of just an alternative Christianity.

>Gnosticism
Wat. I don't think you know what that word means, m8.

This film actually reminds me of David Lean -- though not quite as refined.

Essential comfycore

Well a lot of gnostic sects were basically alternative christianity (marcion for exemple)

I wish I could devise an equation to elucidate why this film is so fucking good, because every time I try to explain it, it basically comes out in the form of "muh comfy adventure". I dunno, maybe that's it.

DVC = Muh (comfy+Adventure)(Zimmer+Ron Howard)(ForrestGump guy+Museums)

Kek. We'll have to flesh this one out, but I think you're on the right track.

Zimmer was definitely a big part of it.

It's Stupid. Nobody ever found these clues over the years but Mr Main Character.

I agree. It has a 21 on rotton cucktatos

It's cause they don't factor in comfiness; if they did, it would be off the charts.

This is the kind of film that filmfags are literally afraid to consider "great". I enjoy a good Art film, but that doesn't prevent me from recognizing an incredible blockbuster when I see it.

I thought it was okay. Aesthetic and mood were good, but the story was pretty meh. Wish they would have delved deeper into the lore.

Also, there wasn't much tension/thrill in scenes that needed it. I wasn't on the edge of my seat ever.

Those BvS and SS scores still sting eh champ?

Ya, but this film wasn't about any specific sect or even Gnosticism.

If they delved much deeper into the "lore", it wouldn't have been as comfy, and it would have been 4 hours long.

>edge of my seat
I thought there were some suspenseful scenes, and captured the essence of a cheap detective novel (whispered is essentially what the book was)

yeah. i get why they didn't, but that's the coolest shit.

i also think the film was released around the time that people were getting to be too cool for the book for being so popular.

I really liked this film, can't understand the hate either. I've actually watched it a few time. Cozy as hell, great music, anybody who attacks the scholarship can do that, but it's like the guy who goes "physics don't work like that" "no sound in space" it's a movie not real life.

Given your grievances (which i dont totally disagree with), what would you rate the film?

Because jesus freaks decided to get a real stick up their ass about The DaVinci Code for some reason.

i only saw it once in theaters, so would have to rewatch it.

probably 7.5

>7.5
That would have been my first rating of the film; howver, shortly after I saw it in the theater, I came down with a crippling illness that left me bed-ridden for about 3 months, and I could not stop watching this film -- I think I may have watched it about 40 times during that period. It has an incredible therapeutic quality about it that I can't even put my finger on.

I'm not even a fan of these kinds of films, and my tastes are more on the artfag side, but The Da Vinci Code is a fucking masterpiece.

I'm just happy to see that people actually liked this film, and I would highly recommend you watch it again.