What is the Finnegans Wake of music?

What is the Finnegans Wake of music?

How am I supposed to answer this?

Would it be cliche to say this?

Unlistenable garbage which whiny pseuds think is a masterpiece but even they find it annoying to listen to? Probably something in the harsh noise genre i.e. Merzbow.

More like Ulysses really

Finnegans Wake has a lot of merits - it's genius, even if it's unreadable genius

>lot of merits.

Perhaps you'd care to list some.

name one.

Incredible lexical genius, the portmanteaus and puns, the forward looking narrative points, the realisation of a dreamlike narrative, the ambition and scope, the surprising accessibility of it (basic points are pretty easy to follow), the ALP section being one of the greatest pieces of writing in the English language, the integration of other mediums such as music and sonnets and poetry etc.

But beyond all that I genuinely enjoy it as a bedside read, just getting lost in the rhythm and colour of the language - like a trippy ambient album in word form

Name 1 (ONE) pun you got.
>like a trippy ambient album in word form
What the fuck? This isn't a literary merit.

Dubliners - TOTBL
Portrait - Pet Sounds

Why not, it's an enjoyable and unique reading experience, for me at least.

Finnegan = Fin french for finish, again, reflects the cyclical nature of the the novel, recurring and never finishing but starting again. Wake = the idea of waking up from a slumber but also a wake as in a funeral, ties into the idea of death and dreams as the central theme of the book and obviously the Finnegan pun is wrapped up nicely by it

>Why not
Because the fact that you like it doesn't mean it has literary merits. If some retard says he likes reading Harry Potter doesn't mean Harry Potter has any literary merits.
>Fin french for finish, again, reflects the cyclical nature of the the novel
Oh, you're just pulling shit out of your ass at this point.

That is literally the most commonly referenced play and words in the entire thing, if you think Joyce didn't intend for that you either haven't read him or underestimate his command of language and structure.

The thing is completely structurally unique and singular and is more ambitious than anything else ever written, save, maybe, The Divine Comedy, and has some of the most stunning lexical work ever. That's why it has merit.

Niggas on the Moon

>That is literally the most commonly referenced play and words in the entire thing, if you think Joyce didn't intend for that you either haven't read him or underestimate his command of language and structure.
>The thing is completely structurally unique and singular and is more ambitious than anything else ever written, save, maybe, The Divine Comedy, and has some of the most stunning lexical work ever. That's why it has merit.
Not a single argument can be found in this entire post. You should reread it so you can experience your failure for yourself.

Honestly it's essentially literary impressionism. If I had to pick something that was close to it... Spiderland is the closest I can think of.

Well now you're just being a cunt. I presented several pretty irrefutable arguments, you obviously haven't read a word of it and have some innate dislike of things you don't understand. I'm not pretending to understand the book either, but that doesn't stop me appreciating what I do understand of it.

In the words of Harold Bloom: "Joyce's masterpiece.... If aesthetic merit were ever again to center the canon Finnegans Wake would be as close as our chaos could come to the heights of Shakespeare and Dante."

> Thinks James Joyce was a bad writer
You don't read, do you?

Was that meant to be aimed at my comment?

Robert Wyatt - Alifib

Lol he was a genius, that's partly why no one else can understand it.
>Stating your shitty uneducated opinions as superior
Get over yourself

it´s just made up words so some pseudo intellectual hip hop would be close

Most of them are real words with a pun thrown in

I love Dubliners, Portrait, and Ulysses, and you're very right that Finnegan is unreadable. If something's unreadable, how do you declare it to be genius, since you're clearly such a highly-educated intellectual.

Well it is readable and understandable with a lot of studying to go with it, which is probably not very entertaining to most people, but which I quite enjoy. Basically the breadth of what he was doing takes far more understanding than mostly anyone can ever really attain - doesn't make it any less astounding as a work of literature or in its ambitions and intertextual references.

is irish rap a thing?

>made up words

I really think you're baiting people by acting this pretentious.

I dunno why it sounds pretentious, just my opinion - I really think it's genius

How in the hell is he being pretentious? He's being careful with his language even to avoid triggering you insecure brainlets

You think you're quite the genius too, huh?

Obviously not

>no one posted the obvious choice

Tangerine Dream - Finnegans Wake

Laughing Stock

The chipmunks soundtrack