Why is it that you just don't seem to see guitarists play Stratocasters any more...

Why is it that you just don't seem to see guitarists play Stratocasters any more? Other than the older rockers that have always used them, they seem to have been superseded by Jazzmasters and Jaguars. Same goes for Telecasters a bit as well, but less so.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_1M8gqF9Nt8
youtube.com/watch?v=91nTBwkqG2k
youtube.com/watch?v=DVjN-A0qA_8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

This ones a G&L but it's close enough

I have a strat that my dad bought at a Costco years ago. It's really used, but it's only here because I'm poor and can't afford to buy shit.

But I love it desu

I have one, I love the thing, but it's not really my main guitar anymore, I never liked the finish color, but it's a good guitar.

What I like about strats over jaguars and jazzmasters is that they're lighter and very comfortable to play. My current main is a jaguar but I don't really like the extra weight. I have a feeling that Mustangs are the best of both worlds, but I haven't tried one yet.

john mayer

when will the "relic'd" meme die?

It doesn't count as relic'd when it's just a guitar that he's had a long time

though fender did make a replica of his guitar

Factory Strats have a kinda thin sound compared to a Jag and certainly to something with a humbucker. Teles cut more and are great for bands that play with a lot of open chords. I mean, that's pretty much why you buy a Fender instead of a Gibson. If you're jangling, you go with the Fender. If you're riffing, you go with the Gibson, etc...

You can definitely tweak them and make 'em sound fantastic, though, and Fat Strats just sound amazing OOB.

Edit: And eventually you just dispense with both and buy a Rick or a Gretsch and do what you want.

>Factory Strats have a kinda thin sound compared to a Jag and certainly to something with a humbucker.
Yeah this, Strats have a certain sound to them that is very conducive to traditional rock music and to leads, but doesn't work that well with heavier music.

no way his headstock git that dirty naturally

iron maiden use them. I believe they're not that good for using tuned lower that E flat

Lol the shits over half a century old

who dis

They work fine if you put humbuckers in them, I have a strat with humbuckers, but it's more than that, it's like the placement of the pickups, or the arrangement, or the electronics that makes them somewhat thin sounding.

Billy Corgan recorded some pretty heavy riffs with a strat.

>iron maiden use them
Yeah, I think Murray uses them mainly for solos. Fender necks are really easy to shred on, too.

As long as the guitar is set up for lower tuning, a Strat can handle it with absolutely no problem but most guitars will go wonky if you tune lower than C Standard without an adjustment, for sure.

marissa paternoster from screaming females

youtube.com/watch?v=_1M8gqF9Nt8

Marissa Paternoster of Screaming Females, she's a great guitarist

you've obviously never played guitar. a guitar that old just just gonna collect grime, sweat, dirt; that and the laquer finish is just going to naturally darken over time if it's exposed to enough sunlight

Strats usually have the three single coil set up. The strings them selves have more treble tone at the bridge and more of a bass tone at the neck.

Because the single coil magnets are smaller they grab a smaller 'slice' of the eq which makes it sound thin. This sounds good for cleans and other stuff that was popular before AC/DC and 'heavy' rock.

The humbucker design is two singlecoils next to eachother and the polarity of the magnets is reversed canceling electrical noise. The nice side effect of the cancelled hum is you have two magnets right next to eachother picking up a broader range of the eq making a thicker sound.

The single coils will never get heavy like a humbucker can and right now heavy music is still way popular.

The stratocaster also has the comfort element to it. It and the SG are pretty much the most comfy guitars you can play due to contours and light weight.

But since the 80s music is all about image and looking cool. Strats are boring and generic Hard Rock Cafe looking things. People now want their guitar to be an expression of themselves.

its fucking stupid but whatever.

I'd bet every guitar player these days uses a Les Paul or a ES-335 guitar to record no matter what they play live and in videos.

that's what i thought. they are dope

Mustangs are awful. No sustain and very hollowed out tone. I mean, they're playable, but up until you want to do something other than twinkly little Indie twee whatever.

saw them play w/ against me a while ago

>never cleans it

Does this look like the recording studio of a clean person

This is someone from Ween we're talking about here

Does Deaner even use any other (not acoustic or bass) guitars? Only time I remember I saw a picture of him using something different was actually Santana's guitar.

I saw them live a few years ago. Marissa bumped into me with her guitar case as she walked to stage and then I died

he's also got this rainbow monstrosity
youtube.com/watch?v=91nTBwkqG2k

Pretty sure its a different guitar, cause he uses the normal one without stickers on different songs at that show

whoops wrong link

youtube.com/watch?v=DVjN-A0qA_8

JMs and Jags are becoming pretty stigmatized, especially since Fender put out that American Professional line.

Jazzmasters and Jaguars are in now because of Kurt Cobain and the indie/alternative scene of the late 80's-early 90's. That era is coming back around and the hipsters ironically flock to these trends. Not to be ironic - just to clarify - it's just ironic that they are just as sheepish as anyone else. Strats still kick ass but like others have said they aren't really in atm.

this

He's using a replica of Rocky

ahh didn't know that

because the fender offsets are in right now. even better is when you see some indie goofball with all the controls taped off on a jaguar because they dont know how to use them.

This is true,
I own a shitty squier jaguar i can say they are the most comfortable guitar I've played, and I really like the jangly/twinkly sound. I hope the trend dies soon and moves on, so everyone starts selling their used jag/jm really cheap