Playing 5e D&D with pals. Everyone is lv 6. What should I throw at 'em? Encounters, NPCs, items, whatever!

Playing 5e D&D with pals. Everyone is lv 6. What should I throw at 'em? Encounters, NPCs, items, whatever!

Much appreciated.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Yb-sCNfE0bM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Tips: youtube.com/watch?v=Yb-sCNfE0bM

3.5e here. What type of campaign you running

-2 beholders simultaneously

- froghemoth from volos

-the place where i see players have the worst time is talking together or to npcs. its all about take turns hitting stuff. so as a npc, ask them questions to flush out their backgrounds or reasonings. find some moral discord in your group and have a discussion.

I miss DnD....Wish I had a group in my area.

join roll 20, plenty of online games you can just jump into

Give them an item with a unknown magic ability that requires a d4 roll, 1/2 is instant death of the character using item, 3/4 is instant kill of any and all enemies in current situation

It's not the same though. a bunch of guys, and sometimes 1 girl around a table....the feel of dice in your hands....the smell of desperation in the air.

dont just have 1 enemy. because they will just nuke it down. have one big bag and then several shitter enemies, or a couple of less strong ones.

for example, i had a water elemental as the big bad, and then 2 giant turtles that flanked from the sides. turtles didnt hit hard, but had a high AC, and the water elemental had several lair altering spells and stuff.

Friendly goblin encounter that tries to scam them in cheap and predictable ways

Deck of many things. Just be ready to restart your campaign.

Drogan busts through the door. "Finally!" He exclaimed as the Maddie working the counter at the tavern poured him a fresh ale. "It has been so long?"

Have and NPC warlock pretend to be a friendly Eldritch knight that ends up betraying them to their patron.

If a player makes a crit on a skill check next to a pig pen a npc named earl rises up. Earl is a simple human farmer that loves to wrastle. If the group can keep on his good side they can end up with a good ally

You could start with that watermelon

Make them encounter a shirty new that secretly steals there money for "investments" and if he gets caught he transforms into Hitler and creates mass genocide on tiflings

phat l3wt

*Jew

They have similar spell and done right can fool the most adept. You must have good knowledge of spell book and know what both classes are capable of at all times. I did this in my campaign. For several levels the Eldritch knight was leading them on a quest to capture the evil warlock only to betray them once they fully trusted him. Makes an awesome story but be prepared to have every one not want to talk to you for a few days. (I had dragged mine out for almost a month.). They were extremely attached to the NPC.

TJ?

Carl?

Ryan?

Jebb?

Shmelka?

Mike?

Bryan?

Garrett?

Bob?

Or let them get a giant floating mud ship. And after a few weeks they notice a few mages have teleported on their ship and are using to to hitch a ride. While under the ship in the cargo hold a bunch of goblin refuges are squatting. the mages arnt giving any food to the goblins so they are starving. This creates a struggle on this ship that The players have to solve. Will they be able to negotiate terms with the mages and goblins? Or will they just kick them all off the ship. When I ran this a few years ago the players crit failed on the diplomacy and it created the goblins to revolt. A edgy leader called chan-x rose and led the goblins. Before all this happened one of the players went down and helped Chans family. This player kinda became their messiah after they got kicked off the boat and made a city.

Give them a lavender coloured rock, (it appears to be a crudely painted rock). When thrown it teleports the user to the first place the rock touches, the rock will return to the users hand but now it looks like a mundane grey rock, taking two days to recharge. Also, upon use the user is unconscious for D10+10 seconds.

The point of the caviat is that when used in poor judgement like a complex target or in combat they can't save themselves and require aid from their party, draining resources and making for a funny story. I only used this in a one shot game once. The player tried to cross a ravine, failed the throw and was teleported to the side of the rock face, then plummeting to their death. Was totally worth it.

Tim?
Brian?
James?
Frank?
Andrew?
Matt?
Chris?
Luke?
John?
Paul?
Steve?
Jerry?
Hank?
Colton?
David?

Labyrinth. Drop 2-handed weapon with awful stats but allows to see around 1 corner at a time.

I always like to introduce the threat of rape. I think I do it just to watch the looks people give each other and the eye rolling.

Sergey

Mario?

Jesus?

They encounter a larger group of very horny dark skinned level 8 orcs that want to incapacitate the party and take them back to their rape dungeon. If they are overpowered, the party must work together to escape the rape dungeon or be fucked to death by giant orc cocks.

Gabriel?

Lucius?

very slow very tough ogre
(very green too)

Shrek?

Shrek 2?

Shrek?

Buy the books and make friends. Drag strangers in off the street. Start a session at a bus stop. I've spawned 3 groups in the last year alone, just through work.

Lucifer?

No, it's Lucius.

The surest party breaker out there!

I am running three different groups in the 513. Lots of people play even if they don't openly admit it.

One that our dm pulled on us was a gelatinous cube backed up by a mimic that prevented our retreat. Had 2 party members go down to that. Another fun one is a Mindflayer. They may rise against you tho, so use with caution

Make a dungeon setup like a level of doom with all the monsters analogues to the doom monsters

Lich, and a pack of wraths. Level all over again

Just finished up a session with a few friends playing Pathfinder

Recap
>Go into the underdark
>Party:
Aasimar child sorcerer (PC)
Aasimar Paladin (PC)
Elven teenage wizard (PC)
Orc Barbarian (PC)
Elven Wizard King (NPC)
>Tear through the drows
>Come across humanoid bears
>Orc pushes one of them off a cliff and into spiderweb
>Tear through humanoid bears
>Come across spider
>Come up with elaborate plan to kill spider
>Sword drowned in drow poison (DC was ~50 near the end of everything)
>Make the orc fly
>Tie the wizard PC to orc
>Make orc invisible
>Feed spider some bait
>Orc goes in for the kill
>Gets nauseated due to spider hairs
>In character, ask elven king what he would do in this situation
>Trivializes the situation
>Take a lift down deeper into the abyss through the spiderweb
>Suddenly come up to army of drows fighting two vulture looking creatures
>Meanwhile the wizard was transported to the astral plane and met Lord Orcus
>Cast a spell and get an ability in return that lets any person I touch use all their spells in one turn at no cost
>Use it on the king
>Guy completely trivializes the whole fight again
>3 drow left
>One jumps off a cliff in the distance
>One protects the priestess drow (he turns out to have good in him)
>Priestess drow in awe of what happened
>Orc just goes apeshit and tries to kill the priestess, ends up badly injuring the good drow as he tries to stand in front of her
>Shitstorm ensues between PCs
>Wizard comes back from the astral plane and aged backwards so he's now a teenager
>Last attempt to interrogate the two and we get useless information out of them
>The paladin tries to let the good drow join us but he refused to without the priestess
>Priestess and good drow seem to be lovers
>Orc tries to finish off the priestess but the good drow stands in front
>Right before contact, priestess teleports the good drow out of the way and sacrifices herself

Fun night desu. Orc broke his alignment I think though (chaotic good)

Same guy but what our DM does is the whole world is cursed so that when you cast magic, something else happens in return. It's a little more complex than that but he simplifies it in certain areas when special crystals that "distort" the magic are near the players and they have to roll on a wild magic table. So if you have spellcasters in the campaign then it's a good way to add a little more chaos.

OP here.
Running through Storm Kings Thunder with my own twists on it

gra/ndxxxa/uto.com enjoy

Deck of many things

Give them the nemesis of any group of PCs : fucking responsibilities. A weak NPC sticks to the group. It can be à guardman that wish to impress his lover, an arrogant lord that cannot stand not to handle things himself, a youngster inspired by them to go on an adventure...

Remove their ability to flee (a steep cliff is enough) so they become more careful. Play your ennemies with as much care as you would play as a PC. Make them deadly not because of their stats but because of their strategy. Divide the group. Lure them into ambushes. Destroy your PCs armor and stuff -objects HP rules. Take casters down first. Use small water spells to put out torches.

Think about the environment, about the morale of the group, give them the maluses they deserve for each nasty strike they take. At the loudest of the battle, sneak attack from behind.

If you are thinking 'What could be living here that would challenge a group of lvl6 ?'. You are doing it wrong. Ask yourself : 'What is the plan these shitty mobs can have fostered ?'.

That being said, for random encounters I use the shit ton of tables that were made for pathfinder.

tarrasque

A dungeon with many traps, some quite deadly. Make them think twice about just going through that hallway, if they try to turn around, make the exit unaccessable (My DnD group are poons.)

Also, YOU throw all damage rolls and YOU only know the PCs HP. Use descriptions only.

- The barbarian wields his sword higher than usual, you could be striking at his heart directly right now but you are just not quick enough. You armor is ripped away, your left arm feels like nothing but a bag of pain hanging from your shoulder. Nasty one.
- How nasty ?
- Wanna take a move action to assess your condition ?
- No, I just want to know if I can carry on.
- Up to you. You are in doubt of your capacities ? Lets say -1 moral malus till this ennemy is down.