Austin kicks Rideshare out of Austin

Thanks for protecting us from Uber and Lyft, Austin City Council!

nytimes.com/2016/05/10/technology/uber-and-lyft-stop-rides-in-austin-to-protest-fingerprint-background-checks.html

twcnews.com/tx/austin/news/2016/05/9/austin-leaders-divided-on-plan-to-bring-back-uber---lyft.html

kxan.com/2016/05/09/mayor-discusses-how-lyft-leaving-may-impact-citys-50m-grant/

>Austin may now lose a 50mil grant
>"B-B-Buh, they weren't supposed to leave!"

Fucking libshits ruin everything.

Other urls found in this thread:

kxan.com/2015/10/27/uber-drivers-who-failed-its-background-check-have-austin-issued-permit/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Uber and Lyft are liberal companies that circumvent liberal laws.

Just call a fucking licensed taxi.

For fucks sake, the taxi ride probably costs the same as uber and the fucking taxi drivers are regulated up the asshole.

I, too, could run a profitable company if I didn't have to obey laws that other companies did. Just sayin'.

Uber and Lyft are like the niggers of transport services.

>Just call a fucking licensed taxi.

>pay minimum of 3x as much
>have dirty dune coon or nigger driving me in disgusting taxi

No thanks.

>Just call a fucking licensed taxi.

Why the fuck would I want to pay 5x the amount for some dirty sand nigger to MAYBE show up 1 hour fucking later, who will throw a bitch fit the moment I try to pay with card?

>supporting TAXI unions

disgusting

If are a democrat, SJW liberal you should be using a regulated taxi.

Lyft and Uber are too libertarian and free market... they circumvent the ideology of Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton.

Because "sand niggers" don't drive Lyft or Uber cars... KEK!!!!

I have yet to be in a Lyft that wasn't a white person, typically either a white Grandpa guy or a qt girl.

>first time taking a Lyft
>don't know what to expect but first ride is free so fuck it
>app is easy as fuck; just drop the pin and wait don't need to call or shit
>qt girl in BMW pulls up; oh shit it's my driver
>get in
>car is clean as fuck
>she has cell chargers for me
>gives me a fucking candy bar
>mfw

Anyone who even thinks this shit is debatable is a backwoods moron.

These "laws" are protectionist crap meant to make doing business difficult for those who attempt threaten the status quo.

>Anyone who even thinks this shit is debatable is a backwoods moron.

This. /thread

>Reply
FUCK UBER AND FUCK LYFT

you have the right to do whatever you want, but ive watched multiple friends go from riding bikes and walking all the time, to blowing all their money catching ubers everywhere. its fuckign gay, and its literally undoing everything we did when we convinced people that they should ditch their dinosaur powered couch machines and walk around in nature instead.

although i do liek that it encourages drunks to get a ride, rather than drive themselves, or catch a taxi.

fuck taxi unions.
but also fuck uber

I'm so sick of this bullshit and people saying "I have no other options besides Uber/Lyft".

Really? You take a taxi every fucking day? Austin isn't even that big of a city where in the hell do you possibly need to get to? There's a whole list of ways to get around:

City buses
light rail
biking (we have tons of bike lanes)
buy a scooter
rollerblade
walk for once in your miserable fat life
MAKE LITERALLY ONE FRIEND WHO OWNS A CAR
pedicabs

>but user boo hoo boo hoo the bus is for niggers and homeless people
well your broke ass doesn't own a car, you're no better than them
>but user what about when I want to get drunk
make a friend who owns a car, is that really hard for you?

Prop 1 wasn't about "banning" uber and lyft at all. A few months ago, the city council wanted to change the way those companies do BG checks. They wanted their system, U/L wanted their old system.

>but user, the city just wants to force me to drive drunk so I die or get a DWI and I have to pay a fine
Oh, so it's another "city wide conspiracy by the evil people who want you to make bad choices" episode, huh?

BUT ITS NOT REGULATED

How do people come to rely on this shit so much?
Literally only use uber at 2am when I'm drunk.

>Get picked up from airport
>Nice older guy (late 50's) in a new hybrid car
>Ask him how long he's been doing it for and why, generic conversation starter
>He says he's retired, just does it for some extra money he can send to his daughter to support her Doctors Without Borders work
>We have a good convo, I mention I'm glad that I could indirectly support a humanitarian cause

How anyone can say that Lyft and Uber are shit is seriously beyond me. Granted I only used them a few times a year to get back from the airports, looks like I'm back to asking friends because I'd stab myself before taking another Taxi or bus back home.

Cab companies are the ones who helped pass bullshit crony laws to make sure other people can't compete with them, like that fucking medallion you need for your car which costs a few hundred thousand which only they can afford.

Fuck the cab company and their bullshit laws.

>My friends make bad choices
>Fuck uber fuck lift
How about you get smarter friends, or you be a real friend and tell them to fucking walk you fucking bitch

why is uber so opposed to background checks for there drivers?

This is the perfect time to check out the twitter feed of Robert Morrow, the Travis County GOP chairman.

more like cab companies are the kikes of transportation, shlomo.

>try to go out on a weekend
>Uber/Lyft triples the prices

>City buses
Too bad they quit running at night.

>light rail

Perfect if you live in one of the three stops. it has

Your other points are just retarded so I won't even address them.

Also Prop 1 was just a ploy by CoA to get control over shit they had no business being a part of. You're a fucking idiot if you can't see that.

Also, yeah, I took Lyft every weekend because I actually have a social life here and $5-$10 to not have to deal with fucking parking was easily worth it.

Because it was convenient as fuck. A lot of business owners used it for their employees to. We're already seeing the effects across town; not only did the drivers lose their jobs, a lot of people can't get into work now, or are just being let off entirely because their employers can't deal with the TAXIs which, hur hur, are now our only option unless you are one of the lucky few like this faggot Everyone lives just of 5th and Congress.

>How anyone can say that Lyft and Uber are shit is seriously beyond me.

They've never used it, or were too retarded to figure out how the app works.

They already do Nationwide background checks that go back 15 years. Austin wanted them to use the Taxi background checks, that only go back 7 years and are only state wide. They're only argument was; HURDUR IT USES FINGERPRINTS!

It's moot though because Prop 1 was never about that shit; fingerprints was just a smoke screen. They also wanted a ridiculous amount of data from both companies, delivered monthly, tact on additional fees to all drivers + another fee for any airport rides. They wanted both companies to create a GeoFencing system that the city could activate at any time, and it was to be ready before the year was out. List goes on. Whole thing was retarded.

what's the problem exactly? you can create a service like uber in a week

>Really? You take a taxi every fucking day? Austin isn't even that big of a city where in the hell do you possibly need to get to? There's a whole list of ways to get around:

Austin isn't big but it's extremely complex owing to the fact that it is a victim of urban sprawl and has had little planning

>City buses
Which they've cut back on, most only come ever 45 minutes now. And the buses are complete shit here. I can tell you don't take them here.

>light rail
Wew lad

>biking (we have tons of bike lanes)
Yeah man I just love riding a bike in 100 degree humid weather in the summer

>buy a scooter
I figured you were an autist but this proves it

>rollerblade
See above comments

>walk for once in your miserable fat life
I love walking in 100 degree humid weather in the summer

>MAKE LITERALLY ONE FRIEND WHO OWNS A CAR
You mean a slave who drives you everywhere? Because that's what that "friend" would be.

>pedicabs
HAHAHA holy shit you are trolling hard my dude, but here's your (you) for your trouble.

t. People who can't read

Nothings wrong with requiring drivers to do background checks, idk about you but I don't want to be driven by some criminal nigger.

I was on vacation and they got me to sign the petition to keep them, don't know if it could even count seeing as I'm not a resident. But I like going to Austin, sucks that they're kicked out.

see
also

kxan.com/2015/10/27/uber-drivers-who-failed-its-background-check-have-austin-issued-permit/

>TLDR: Austin Cab drivers who applied for UBER failed UBER's background check

>liberals claim background checks to buy a gun aren't infringement
>liberals call a background check requirement for Uber drivers "a time-intensive and costly burden"

lol what a stupid fuck

They'll be back. The fall back is already being seen.

A planned march for the 26th is scheduled as of yesterday, and 5,000 people have already signed up for it.

I also have a friend who is interning at City Hall, and he texted me that the amount of shit they are getting from calls and emails is insane. Not just from citizens either; a lot of corporations who relocated here and brought their employees who didn't have vehicles are fucking pissed to.

Basically CoA awoke a sleeping giant known as Silicon Valley.

>enabling potential idiots to become true idiots
yea ok

The fuck are you on? The liberals were the ones that wanted the Uber background checks you fuck.

What kind of loser doesn't own a car in a place like Texas?

Good riddance anyway, I'd rather support local rideshares then uber.

Great. A question though, what are the chances that this gets resolved in less than 2 weeks?

>local rideshare

Cool non-existent entity.

Isn't uber and similiar technically black labor?

Biking is actually pretty refreshing in Texas. The speed you go ~10MPH average gives you a nice breeze. The sun is shitty since I have sensitive skin.

Also is that Austin guy that does Uber here? I loved that story about the woman getting arrested.

>Austin

it's different in america they applaud you more the less taxes you pay

Not at all. We're looking at 6 months most likely. If not that then 2017.

Also seeing a lot of pic related.

>voting on shit when you have no idea what is going on

tfw you'll never go drinking with ghost on sixth street

That girl is losing more money on gas and vehicle depreciation than she's making with Lyft. I've been an uber driver and it was horrible and when you sit down and do the numbers, there were slow days where I'd gross 50 bucks but would end up really close to the negative.

alright you convinced me fuck austin

Maybe you were just fucking bad at it? I have a friend who did it full time and he was easily pulling in 1100 a week.

>gas and vehicle depreciation

It's called write off's m8. I bet you were a stupid fuck who didn't even know how to file quarterly.

Austinite here - the anti uber/lyft camp ran a scam. They wrote the proposition language to be deceptive. Many people thought a YES vote would require Uber/Lyft to jump through extra hoops when it was really the opposite. The majority of people here support ride sharing, the councilors / taxi lobby ran a scam!

don't blame uber for people wanting to be lazy

I love how backwards america is with its policies. "The freer the market, the freer the people". Then you get actual entrepreneus challenging the norms and changing the game and all that goes out the window for some dirty cronyism and outdated unions and protectionist laws.

one night out drinking with my friend. We get drunk (surprise!), bars closing, girls we were hitting on dropped numbers on us, but no ones getting laid tonight, we cant drive and my buddy says "fuck that noise" and calls an uber from his Uber app.
Car shows up, its a white guy about our age in a nice white car with leather interior ( I don't remember the brand). He is cool with us as he drives our drunk asses home.
This was my only experience with Uber, but it was awesome. infinitely better than a taxi

Welcome to the horrors of democracy

Governments from any country will run a scam. The city councilors here in Austin got bought off by the cabs, plain and simple.

They didn't get kicked out.
They left on their own.
I voted yes on Prop 1.
Keep the government out of private business.
If people think that making do background checks are going to make them feel safer they shouldn't be using the service in the 1st place.
That being said, Uber and Lyft are still little bitches for leaving.
They stayed in Houston and NYC with required fingerprint background checks.

>and feel good about that

Damned women voters.

'Regulation' is just a government protection racket.
A market is self-regulating.

Don't know about Lyft but every time I've heard of people using Uber its always been a pleasant experience. The same cannot be said for those I've talked to about taxis.

I like both, but honestly speaking Lyft is way better than Uber. Lyft seems to make it a point of hiring qt's and giving out candy.

>Higher demand raising prices is oppressive!
>It's my right to cheap rates!

>Going to where filthy degenerate casuals go and complaining about paying more

The lady in OP's post is obviously blind. I don't blame her for not wanting to use public transportation.

>service has existed for like 5 years
>people acting like there's suddenly no other option to get anywhere

Can people not function anymore?

ubers are cheap and the drivers are nice but they are even weaker drivers who still dont speak english and who dont know where to drop you off pick you up or the best way to get anywhere

They can but why would they want to when a better service they've been using for half a decade is available?

That would be like the government declaring a ban on all air transportation, and then going, "WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL?! WE DIDN'T ALWAYS HAVE PLANES!"

This is only going to make traffic in austin 100 times worse than it already is.

Not really
When they came to Austin it din't make a big difference except less DWI/DUIs and provided jobs for all the white hipsters with useless degrees.

Why are they getting a "grant" for a private company to operate??
> Why not tax and license their own version?

>big government over-regulation commie cunts from Commiefornia swarm your town
>ban BBQ smoke and Uber drivers
>everyone is somehow surprised

>weaker

Confirmed for never using it. There's not a person alive that doesn't know how to use a fucking GPS.

Texas retards

>government version of rideshare

We already have it. It's called TAXIs.

She's converting longterm vehicle value into cash that she can spend? Good for her.

>Fucking libshits ruin everything.

Can you prove it's Liberals? They seem to love Uber and Lyft

And what the fuck happened to Texas that let Liberals in?

You retards probably still think Mexicans are Conservative.

It's not just Austin either. Houston is the biggest city with a fag mayor.

Aren't Lyft and Uber made by Liberals?

I know Liberals love to use them. I wouldn't doubt it's to stay away from non-white drivers.

>go out any day
>taxi rates are already tripled

taxi unions pushed for this law because they were blown the fuck out by the free market

uber violates the law by having letting people without taxi licenses taxi people around. the reason it's cheaper is because it circumvents this law. it doesn't matter that you don't have enough money for a taxi, and it doesn't matter if you don't feel like calling a taxi cab because the guy who drives it is a paki. if you want uber to be legal, then remove the law requiring taxi drivers to have a special license, instead of disregarding it

typical liberal trying to ban options within the market. go back to cali faggot

it's not the free market if team A is abiding by a law that causes them to have higher expenses, while team B doesn't abide by the law and therefore makes more money. you're retarded

FACT: Uber started in San Francisco

FACT: Co-creator is Jewish

Now what, Sup Forums?

Straight up "the taxi companies donated enough to get us to do this" shit.

I really hope the end result is Austin suffers for fucking this up, followed by reversing the decision and voting the offending councilpeople out.

>uber violates the law by having letting people without taxi licenses taxi people around

Wrong.

They do not take street hails, so they are not taxis. They are a private car service, like limos. They operate within the letter of the law.

people are all talking about "uber vs the taxi companies". can someone explain to me how uber isn't a taxi company that just doesn't make sure its drivers have a taxi license?

I'm proud to say that I've never take a hipster cab (Uber, Lyft, etc...) in my life and never will. I'd rather support legal immigrant hard-working taxi drivers than stupid fucking lazy hipster millennials looking to make some extra weed money.

>can someone explain to me how uber isn't a taxi company that just doesn't make sure its drivers have a taxi license?
That's a pretty significant difference, m8.

Team B found a loophole that let them get ahead and exploited it.

outside of cities, you don't hail taxis. you call a taxi company, and they send you a car. it's the same thing, you're just a numale who gets mad when his high tech iphone taxi company gets held to the same standard as dumb pleb taxis

>You retards probably still think Mexicans are Conservative.

This, I am so tired of this bullshit narrative that shit fuck mexicans are conservative and family oriented, they are not!

>They operate within the letter of the law.

Says you. Courts are split on the issue and there is much pending litigation. If they were, as you say, clearly operating within the letter of the law, all of these cases should've been dismissed for failure to state a claim, right?

>pay minimum of 3x as much

BECAUSE of the liberal laws taxis have to obey and uber gets to ignore

>outside of cities, you don't hail taxis. you call a taxi company, and they send you a car.

Irrelevant. What matters is what is in the law.

>you're just a numale who gets mad when his high tech iphone taxi company gets held to the same standard as dumb pleb taxis

Not an argument.

No, it is pretty clear that they operate within the law. Mudslime taxi companies are just maximum buttblasted at these companies, and liberals are running to save them.

So do limo drivers have the same license at taxi drivers?

uber is not a taxi service.

it's not an anything service.

uber is simply an app that connects independent contractor drivers with private parties who want to get somewhere. that's what they can always claim when it comes to their responsibility regarding anything to do with what actually happens in cars. they can say, "hey, we are just app developers, don't ask us ;)"

taxis hate this because they are subject to regulation as companies that own taxis, hire drivers, and have complete liability regarding the actual transport of passengers. they are transportation companies, not app developers. many cities also use a token system so larger taxi companies have invested huge amounts of money in their fleets.

What laws? Don't taxi drivers just need a license and that badge?

Uber has lots of insurance and background checks.

Hell, I'd be more worried about truck drivers that only need a license to drive.

>No, it is pretty clear that they operate within the law. Mudslime taxi companies are just maximum buttblasted at these companies, and liberals are running to save them.

But you can't say that because the issue is being raised in courts all across the country, and the courts are not dismissing the cases outright. You don't get to unilaterally declare that someone is operating within the law when courts haven't decided the issue. Are you even an attorney? Have you had any legal training?

It's not our fault you work a shit job and can't afford a fluctuation from $7 to $20 for convenient transportation.

Then again, you most likely don't leave the house.

What about Hispanics

taxi company owners crying about a law they helped put in place. fuck off.

It is all the same mess of shit subhumans.

Just look at their nations!

All of them are leftist as fuck.

The best way to handle the Taxi system and phase it out would be to have cities buy back the medallions and then work out a plan to have drivers buy the vehicles they have been driving through a subsidized loan and allow all parties to get out from under the weight of economic pressure before it creates a disaster.

laws that exist as barriers to entry are not free market

addressing the real problems

3-5x as much?

If my uber costs me $10, the taxi costs me $12. It's like a $2 extra fee.

Fucking poorfags. Go vote for Bernie and he will make blowjons payable with your wife's smelly cunt.