When artists complain about Donald Trump in their music

>When artists complain about Donald Trump in their music.
Shit, even I'm a liberal and I find that shit annoying and cringy. Making us look like a bunch of cry babies if you ask me.

Other urls found in this thread:

ourfirst100days.bandcamp.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Why are we okay with a decade of punk music but when a few artists talk about trump not ever for a year it's too much

That isn't the only thing making liberals look like cry babies.

who are you listening to that is acting like a crybaby about donald trump's presidency that isnt already embarrassing for you to like for completely different reasons

I'd say it's been about two years already, ever since he started gaining traction in his campaign. But I mean I already hear about it enough in the news, I don't think I need to hear it in music as well.

Good example: Kendrick's DAMN. Mentions Trump twice in his album and the single that preceded it. And I'm sure just about every shitty trap artists had their two cents on that dumbass.

I listened to part of Damn once before losing interest. Looks like I'm safe for now.

the punk songs about reagan were mostly stupid too. but most punk is trash anyways. the biggest issue with these lyrics isn't the subject matter, just that they are usually shitty lyrics.

>Shit, even I'm a liberal and I find that shit annoying and cringy
>even I would degrade myself to being a liberal guys
>even my poor sack of shit thinks this is cringy

>it's a "Sup Forums gets upset over trivial things" episode

fucking repeats.

>the punk songs about reagan were mostly stupid too. but most punk is trash anyways. the biggest issue with these lyrics isn't the subject matter, just that they are usually shitty lyrics.
Besides, those punk bands weren't mainstream artists that got played on the radio.

The entertainment industry has a chimpout every time a Republican is in the White House. It happened with Nixon, it happened with Reagan, it happened with George W. Bush, and it's happened with Trump.

t. this is completely normal and you shouldn't lose any sleep over it

>Trying to show 4/pol/ how "based" of a liberal you are

>the biggest issue with these lyrics isn't the subject matter, just that they are usually shitty lyrics.

Well, they're not very well-thought out criticisms or intelligent. Go back to the 60s and Jefferson Airplane's political songs were also painfully uninformed and cringe-inducing.

Activism isn't worth shit if it isn't challenging anyone's views. Complaining about Trump is just asking for a pat on the back from an audience that already agrees with you. It's just unnecessary.

ourfirst100days.bandcamp.com/

xiu xiu on twitter

>Go back to the 60s and Jefferson Airplane's political songs were also painfully uninformed and cringe-inducing.
Post some examples

It's kind of disappointing that for every example of someone being incisive, or at least funny, there are many more that are clumsy, preachy or confused.

Depeche Mode wrote some really shit lyrics:
The landscape is changing
The landscape is crying
Thousands of acres of forest are dying
Carbon copies from the hills above the forest line
Acid streams are flowing ill across the countryside

'Cause I don't care if you're going nowhere
Just take good care of the world
I don't care if you're going nowhere
Just take good care of the world

Now we're re-arranging
There's no use denying
Mountains and valleys, can't you hear them sighing
Evolution, the solution or the certainty
Can you imagine this intrusion of their privacy

Token gestures, some semblance of intelligence
Can we be blamed for the security of ignorance

"The '80s saw popular music become both more and less political. With a few disappointing exceptions such as Neil Young, Joan Jett, and Paul Westerberg, as well as a few predictable ones like Johnny Ramone and Nick Rhodes, most artists had no use for the reactionary heads of state that surveys showed that their audience supported."

>Post some examples
Like, for example the entirety of Volunteers.

>xiu xiu
>not completely embarrassing to listen to
this is coming from a huge xiu xiu fan

The vast majority of people on the planet are uninformed about politics and can only recite cliched talking points they heard somewhere.

I used to proudly play A Promise in the car with the windows down

is political music ever good from a contemporary viewpoint? i wasn't into music when bush was president and before that i was a chillen

Trump supporter and I don't really mind if an artist has a political opinion, but when they litter their music with it, it comes off as whiny.

nope. only normies like "political" music because they like "the message, man". even then, they like only surface level stuff. a song can be political and still be good, but if the songs main focus is the politics, it'll probably be shit.

It's nice when it either succinctly illustrates a point, or poignantly expresses some kind of collective anger.

I don't really see room for it now, unless you wanted to focus on something really specific that most people aren't paying attention to, like, say, the conditions in privately run prisons detaining illegal immigrants.

Punk sucks. It's not like you're gonna get informed criticism of Reagan or Tatcher from it.

>look

Sup Forums are our bros pls no bully

Remember that awful period in about '05-'08 when every dumbass artist on the planet, from the Beastie Boys to the Dixie Chicks to the Flaming Lips, felt they "needed" to release a bunch of songs criticizing Bush, as though it was necessary to check off some artistic credibility box or something?
This is 10 times worse than that and it's only the first few months of his first term.
Unless you're Kendrick Lamar or Frank Zappa or something and your art was built on sociopolitical commentary from the beginning, I don't need your uninformed positions on political issues.
As though Anton Newcombe or somebody ranting on Twitter about how wanting tighter border control makes Trump a "racist" or "bigot" is going to convince me to vote one way or another.