What do you think of the new album?

What do you think of the new album?
It has an Era Vulgaris feel which isn't bad, but we only know 2 songs, The Way You Used To Do and Feet Dont Fail Me, which was previewed in the promo video

I have high hopes on this one, even the worst QOTSA albums aren't bad albums, and always come up with fresh ideas while keeping their sound

>First Single
youtube.com/watch?v=GvyNyFXHj4k

>Album Promo
youtube.com/watch?v=nscGRxzH2gg

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YM8zR95R4zk
youtube.com/watch?v=dOsmG-sufNc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

There's a third song my dude. The best so far. Sounds like TCV

youtube.com/watch?v=YM8zR95R4zk

I didnt know about that one
Sounds great, cant wait to hear the rest of the album
Hopefully they go on tour and I can see them live

Can we stop saying it's Good because sounds like TCV/ it's bad because it sounds like EODM (or vice versa)?
QotSA is great because it always presented themselves as diverse as possible, and had it's own identity.
However, starting from EV and even more so on LC, JHo swayed too far from the core sound. By that i don't mean that i want to hear the same album over and over, but it's not great when a band loses its edge. I mean, on EV we had both I'm Designer AND Make it wit chu, on LC My God is the sun AND kalopsia.
If you look back at their greatest songs eg Better Living, In The Fade, Mexicola, ASFTDeaf and Dead, Burn the witch, You can't quit me baby, and many more, they always had that desert/psych punk feel which made them stand out in the contemporary musical landscape.
Now they're getting too streamlined, too simplistic and pop-friendly. I get that tjey want ti vary a lot but I feel that the best works that they put out were so exactly because they surrounded themselves with lots of collaborators. And nowadays, firing Nick seems one of the reasons that led to a streamlining of Qotsa sound, sounds like they just lost their grit, which imo it's the worst thing it could -COULD- happens. The last thing I want is QOTSA becoming bland buttrock like Foo Fighters or, even worse, bad dance rock.
Which is also the reason why The Way You used to is so boring, boring,boring.
No bass? Really? And what about that drumming? You have Theodore and use it like a drum machine? Fuck off, even Smooth Sailing had a better groove and -God forbid- great bassline.
Villains will be polarizing, but I still wish they could keep the dirty tones that made s/t and SFTD great.
That said, my fave album of theirs it's LC but I enjoy it as a great rock album (much like Stained Class), not so much as a QOTSA album. If that makes sense.

Fucking auto-correct on my phone messed up some words, sorry about that.
Point still stands, tho.
TL;DR Qotsa is seemingly, slowly losing their desert rock feel and Josh and the boys (mostly Josh tho) need someone to tell them when to stop fucking around with pop production and get back on the tracks they so meticulously built in the 1998-2007 period. Not a fucking pop producer, with all due respect to Mark Ronson, it seems like an ill fit for the band.
But only time will tell, and I still hope for a great album.

they lost the desert rock sound ages ago imo. i agree, ronson feels like a bad choice but we'll have to see, and i hope i'm wrong.

i kinda think josh should have dropped the qotsa name a while ago, maybe even after nick left, and just been something different. the new single's just too far a departure, although i totally respect the need to evolve and change over time, there's just nothing about that song that interests me as a qotsa/josh homme fan.

This will be a black mark on their discography. Josh is singing falsetto all the time now, album artwork is hideous, and they got Jon Theodore in the band only to have him play simple dance-rock beats.

It is baffling. I get that they wanted to expand their sound, but there are so many other alternative paths they could've pursued. "Smooth Sailing" and "If I Had a Tail" were the worst songs on Like Clockwork, and what we've heard from Villains so far sounds like a continuation of that sound.

I would've preferred synth sounds like those in "The Vampyre of Time and Memory" and "Kalopsia" blended into their normal sound.

irritating

why are rock bands so allergic to rocking out these days? Why does everything need to be "Dance rock" or electro influenced?

My dreams of ever hearing a Songs for the Deaf part 2 have been killed forever.

They may do a return to that kind of sound in the future, just like Muse tried to do once they dropped that god awful techno-dubstep album

But for that, they need to publish an album with very bad reviews, which I dont see happening anytime soon

Not just bad reviews but rather fans backlash, which has actually never happened so far. If that happens, the band might stop for a moment and reconsider the next step to take. Not that I want another SFTD, it will not happen, but the magic of the first albums appeared thanks to a rotating cast of collaborators, which is lacking here.
If they get the complex of the 2000s era together and reunite with Chris Goss, I can say with fair confidence that that album will rock hard.which is evermore a rare thing these days.
Or maybe another Desert Session, that would revive the desert feel. Make it happen boyssss, people don't live forever y'know

yeah, I understand they want to move forward artistically, but this turn theyre making isnt themselves anymore
You can hear soometimes Josh wants to bring back the grit old sound but just for a few moments, only to come back to the robopop theyre doing

Are Clutch really the best pure stoner rock band we have now?

Yet another rock band bit the dust. Fucking hell do I miss Nick Oliveri. This album is going to be Era Vulgaris 2.0, I can already tell. At least EV had 3's & 7's, so hopefully Villains will have at least one song that rocks the fuck out.

Never thought I'd see the day were the fucking Foo Fighters are the last straight up rocknroll band left

Remember us?
this is QOTSA's fate in a few years

The Black Keys were always one trick ponies though. At least QOTSA were unique

thats for sure
God is there any band out there that doesnt take one step forward and two backwards? Its annoying getting your hopes destroyed every new album and being tied to the same old music they used to do

I'm trying to be optimistic, but I mostly agree with everyone here. The new single isn't really doing much for me. Also, if the production on all the songs sounds like that I just don't think I'm going to enjoy it. I love QOTSA, but this isn't really what I was looking for. I don't necessarily need Songs for the Deaf or Like Clockwork again, but this is just too poppy and happy for my liking.

Seriously, Josh Homme is way too obsessed with this dancy music shit. Has he forgotten that he was once in Kyuss? Or that he made songs like Mexicola, Go with the Flow, I Think I Lost My Headache, Someone's in the Wolf, etc.?

I think by Robotrock they meant the droning riffs, like krautrock. I honestly think that's a misrepresentation, he just meant he like playing one chord over and over and it, along with lifeless vocals, sounds robotic. Listen to Regular John and you'll see what I mean, even though he's more influenced by Johnny Ramone than any motorik song.

Royal Blood

they are a meme band

Couldn't agree more.

what is rocking out, my dude?

Fuck his ego. He should have disbanded Queens and gotten back with Kyuss when they tried to reunite.

I also disliked the single at first but it really grew on me. a little, at least. Josh seems pretty confident about the direction they're taking in this album, so I'm looking forward to it

>but this is just too poppy and happy for my liking
i know it's just your taste but I chuckled.

Yeah, I hope it grows on me. I'm honestly just trying to wait to listen to it more in the context of the rest of the album.

I've seen them live
they were not bad but definitely not on QOTSA level
the drummer is a complete prick and the singer is fine but they dont do that much of a show, just play the songs straight up from the album and thats it

youtube.com/watch?v=dOsmG-sufNc

THIS IS ROCKING THE FUCK OUT

He would've turned Kyuss into a disco band at this rate

>driving late at night
>intro to Song for the Dead starts
>start going 20 mph faster

FUCK I NEED TO DO THIS BEFORE I DIE

I knew what this would be posted. It sucks that they've had to try to live up to this lineup for fifteen years.

Lanegan - Vox
Homme - Guitar
Olivieri - Bass
Van Leeuwen - Guitar/Rhodes/Slide Guitar
Grohl - Drums (note that his setlist is printed in Comic Sans)

I'd love a one-off reunion performance of this lineup.

Shuman, Fertita, and Theodore are all solid players, but these new songs just aren't playing to their strengths.

>Shuman, Fertita, and Theodore

Yeah, those guys seem like nice dudes, but they feel like hired monkeys compared past QOTSA members.

Songs For the Deaf and its tour was a magical time in rock that will never come back :'(

Songs for the Deaf is my go-to album for long highway drives. I don't know where you live but if you ever get the chance to drive the California desert with it on I'd recommend it.

Really disappointing so far, I'm getting a feeling there won't be anything on the level of Smooth Sailing/I Appear Missing.