I'm a New Yorker who is thinking about moving to LA. I don't hate NYC, but I'm starting to hate the weather...

I'm a New Yorker who is thinking about moving to LA. I don't hate NYC, but I'm starting to hate the weather, and also the prospect of living in the city until I'm old is a bit depressing. Any advice on living in LA, has anyone made the NY to LA move and loved it?

Other urls found in this thread:

essaysspring13.qwriting.qc.cuny.edu/files/2013/04/Joan-Didion-Goodbye-to-All-That.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

a car is required; shitload more sprawl.

I moved from midwest to SoCal.

Honestly prefer the ocasional snow and occasional 90 F day vs. the exact same sunny and warm/hot all day everyday. Felt like I was in some version of Groundhog day going to work every day.

You live in NYC I assume? Would you stay there forever though?

I live in Cali and dont mind the heat but fuck id rather it be cold all the time

Sounds like a case of grass is greener on the other side. Trust me, NY winter is more than occasional snow, its cold from hell and your commute will be a complete sack of shit

Cold all the time === go to Alaska

I'm from Michigan so I understand harsh winters.

I love the cold so that part does not bother me (incidentally hate that its been 90-100 F the past 2 weeks). I love the snow as well, but understand the commuting problem. Had a FWD car that could barely make it up hills sometimes. Solution was to get a car that works in snow and move closer to work. Ideally I'd prefer to walk to work if its possible because I dislike driving in general. Worst part of the day is the drive to work.

If you have a long commute during a normal day, then a snowy day like pic related is a disaster.

You can either move closer to work or move across the country to non-snowy areas. Or just deal with it.

Yeah but you dont pay twice the rent and have half the space. The worst part about nyc is the real estate, and how the price rise every year

How bout compared to this?

I'm sure its cheaper in SoCal, which is easily more expensive than Michigan.

Sure Manhattan would be nice if I had the money, but paying theough the ass for a shittiesh part of NYC wouldn't seem worth it to me.

Shouldn't the snow not matter much for the subway? I suppose more people would take it than walk/drive/bike/cab so maybe they get majorly backed up. That would be pretty damn annoying.

If you have some time, read Joan Didion's essay "Goodbye to All That" about leaving NYC for LA. essaysspring13.qwriting.qc.cuny.edu/files/2013/04/Joan-Didion-Goodbye-to-All-That.pdf

Nyc rent is only worth it for the people who can afford to own and lease it or get a rent controlled apartment. The majority are they who work overtime to pay rent and living with roommates

When it gets bad expect delays and overcrowding, or even worse bus transfer when your train just stops running and youre late for work.

Makes sense.

I knew a bunch of idiots in high school/college that decided to move to NYC with their basket weaving humanities degrees and they'd find a job when they got there.

Can't imagine how well that turned out for them.

Cool, thanks for this

The culture is different. NYC is more uptight, LA is more lax (for better or for worse)

Company culture here is even jeans and a tshirt.

Be prepared for traffic and long commutes.

There's a good variety of environments out here. National parks/mountains/forests to the north. Beaches to the west. Deserts to the east. Tons to do that's uniquely Californian.

Commuting is a fucking bitch. Also its going to be 90F to 100F so you better start getting used to it

>Be prepared for traffic and long commutes.
thats nothing different from someone from NYC

not really

everyone I know from nyc commutes via subway or bus or whatever. that shit doesn't fly in LA tho, you commute via car. and it's painful

True. It's always at least an hour in average to commute to work in nyc