Is this possibly the only movie ever made that everyone here is 100% on board?

Is this possibly the only movie ever made that everyone here is 100% on board?

I've seen a lot of contrarianism over the years but this managed to escape all of it.

Maybe there's hope for Sup Forums after all?

it's because it's relatively obscure but now that you've posted it I hate it and it's gay. next movie

It's ok, idk why people love it an think it's great

I never liked it that much, felt like oscar bait the whole way through.

I don't think I've ever met someone who has disliked gattaca

No, The Mummy is

This desu. It's a good movie, fairly standard plot and message, nothing amazing tho.

I did.
It ditches its neat concept and turns into some melodrama bullshit coming of age story.
It's shit.

It was pretty good but not something I see myself ever rewatching

It's funny, I can't stand the contrarianism that you speak of, it pisses me off that so many objectively amazing films get shat on for no reason other than trolling hipsterism. For example while it might not be the greatest film ever made, nobody should have a reason to say Shawshank Redemption is a bad film.

However, I unironically think that Gattaca is really overrated, and a pretty average film.

Gerome Gerome the metronome

I ask every single thread and never manage to get a discussion going.

OP. I am asking you specifically but anybody else can also weigh in.

Why do you like Gattaca? I see it as nothing more than an underdog success story with a shallow science-fiction gimmick that adds no substance to the narrative beyond being a minor hurdle in the path of the protagonist on the way to success.

I dont like Uma Thurman for some reason

just this kino

Has she ever been in a good movie? Has her presence ever actively made a movie better? Kill Bill doesn't count because it's a shallow and edgy meme role that anybody could have pulled off.

Well 2bh most contrarianism isnt really shitting on films. I dont remember anyone saying shawshank was shit. Its more focused on making fun of the fans of certain films people deem to be overrated (not necessarily bad).

>kino
kys my man. Crank is cinéma

babbys first bioethics. Literally high school tier.

Its one of my favorite movies.

>Dat ending scene
>Dat music

The execution more than anything else. The use of colors, music and cinematography all came together to create a genuinely retro-futuristic feel that made the setting feel familiar and immersive while at the same time distant and almost alien. I don't think there was a single unnecessary scene and I honestly haven't seen anything quite like it before or since, even from the same director.

For me, the only film that even comes close to capturing GATTACA's sense of wonderment and muted sci-fi aesthetic is Her.

eeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I still don't get it but this answer seems sincere if nothing else. I must need to watch it again.

If anyone has anything bad to say about this movie they can kindly literally and figuratively use a wood chipper as a slip and slide

Nah it was pretty boring.

Mention any film here and someone will say it's shit. It always happens, always. Had at least one person say Gattaca is shit already. I've seen plenty of people say Shawshank is shit as well.

Batman & Robin

Just to be clear, I don't think its view on bioengineering is particularly compelling. In fact I disagree with its assumptions that genetically engineered children wouldn't have the same drive or daring or creativity as those born naturally (there will always be parents who will want to engineer the ultimate "wildcard" kids), and I think it would be needlessly dangerous not to exclude people with heart conditions from becoming astronauts.

What I like about the film is its simplicity, pacing and style combined with a very relatable tale about overcoming one's perceived limitations.

Gattaca is a great movie but Uma Thurman's character single handedly drops it from 9/10 to 6/10

>future tech has completely mapped the human genome and developed interplanetary travel
>can't use a few stem cells to fix Jude Law's legs

That's fair. One of my favourite movies is kind of similar but with no genetics stuff.

>inb4 weeb virgin manchild
I know what I am.

True art. I cry. I cry.

I thought that was City Hunter for a second. The 80s really were the golden age of anime.

>fairly standard plot and message, nothing amazing tho

Is this bait? What other movies are about single handedly subverting all facets of society who is wants you to fail based on the circumstances of your birth?

Most reviews I've seen hated it fo that one 'ugly' scene.

I really liked it though

Its a shitty love movie

The subject of eugenics and genome editing is something I find very interesting. I truly think it's the only way for mankind to survive in the long run, but thats unrelated to the movie I guess. The movie had some beautiful moments like the swimming scene and when jude law kills himself.

>that one 'ugly' scene
Almost every time the movie gets brought up discussion goes straight to that bloody scene. Subtext is a lost art in mainstream filmmaking. Pic related is my go-to explanation for that scene. I've been over it too many times to bother manually typing it out each time now. I do appreciate that some critics didn't let it bother them even if they didn't get it though. Roger Ebert in particular praised the movie's mature and grounded approach to its subject matter and brought up the scene but not as a negative.

I think that I'd actually have enjoyed the movie a lot more if it didn't bother with the eugenics, it feels like its only purpose is to make psueds go 'hmmm, really makes you think.'

I agree that the swimming and suicide scenes were actually well done, but such a major theme of the movie serving no purpose makes it all feel kind of half-assed to me.

It's because of how unique it is.

MC overcoming the walls of society despite his initial poor condition is hardly original. In Gattaca is because of Eugenics, in other movies is about money/ being poor/ being a nigger.

Django unchained

Some random guy dropping in out of curiosity, can you spoil the scene for me it if isn't long?

No I fucking hated it. Literally "muh feelings" the movie.

Main character tries to rape the love interest.

Sorry if this gets long, there's quite a bit of context behind the scene.

The protagonist of the film, 'Shirotsu Ladhatt,' is a very mediocre man.

He's a member of his country's 'Royal Space Force.' Only where he's from manned space-travel is considered to be impossible and him and his friends are only in it to collect easy money.

However one of his friends dying as part of the program prompts him to visit a church group on a whim, where he meets the only member 'Riquinni.' She's a nice woman who's poor and lives in the country. She takes a genuine interest in what Ladhatt does and manages to stir up a spark of genuine enthusiasm in Ladhatt. The next day when the Space Force asks for its next volunteer to replace the dead guy Ladhatt is the only one who stands up.

He surprises everyone by actually applying himself and shaping up to be a promising astronaut, and throughout his training he continues to visit Riquinni, both out of genuine spiritual curiosity and wanting to pursue a romantic relationship with her, which she repeatedly denies him.

Ladhatt and the Space Force start to gather public attention as the project starts moving forward and he becomes a national celebrity. However the Space Force also draws a lot of controversy due to the huge funding it draws and the perceived frivolousness of the program. Due to combined stress, exhaustion and disillusionment Ladhatt eventually walks out of a tv interview and wanders the streets until he finds Riquinni where he met her at the start of the movie and joins her in handing out religious flyers.

After this they return to her home and can fill you in from there.

Sorry if that was overly long but really there's quite a bit going on behind that scene. It went over and continues to go over so many people's heads for a reason.

Thanks friends.

This flick has terrible acting

because it tells betas can also achive what alphas, and even beat them

>oscar bait
how?
>sci-fi
>although, there is some segregation theme but no jews or blacks

lolno

yeah? then what's the next step?

bump

crashing this plane

Adventures of baron munchausen.