Is this a shitty PSU for a gaming build?

Is this a shitty PSU for a gaming build? corsair.com/en-eu/cs-series-modular-cs550m-550-watt-80-plus-gold-certified-psu
My gpu and cpu will be 1070 and ryzen 5 1600

>550 watts for a gaming rig
I'd go for at least a 800 watt
I have 500w not enough to upgrade with tbh

if the psu is descent, then 550W is enough

as long as you dont decide to to run 2 video cards or like 16 cores or some shit

It's aight. also don't listen to this faggot
I'm running and evga 600B psu with an i7 6790k, 16GB 3000mhz ddr4, a 160gb ssd, 1tb HDD, and an EVGa GTX 1080 sc.

6700k* typo. Oops. I'm drunk, fuck you.

There is a psu calculator from bequite. Just Google it and you will know how much power you need

It'll work fine so long as you aren't driving two big gfx cards. The 1600 is gonna use at peak pushed to 4ghz around 90-100w, the 1070 peaks at about 200w but is nominally around 150w.

So that leaves you with 250w to handle the rest of your gear which should leave heaps of headroom. I use a similar build with a HX620 Corsair, doesn't even get warm, if you don't touch the voltage on the R5 they use fuck all power and at stock clocks the 1070 is damn efficient too.

Thanks for the helpful answers. The Corsair website says that "CS Series Modular power supplies are ideal for basic desktop systems where low energy use, low noise, and simple installation are essential." So that leaves me thinking if I need a "high-end gaming", more expensive PSU. Im planning to oc the gpu and cpu a bit.

It'll work fine OP

Essentially the days of monster PSU's are over, GFX and CPU's now just use a fuckload less power in general to do the same work, unless you're thinking SLI/Crossfire down the track or running an E series big PSU's serve no purpose as a PSU is more efficient when run above 50% of it's rated output, if you install a monster PSU and then don't utilise it you will pull more power at the wall.

if your going to do a bit of over clocking then go for the 650 version to be safe, overclocking takes a exponential amount of energy for diminishing returns.

Also you can't OC the 1600 you need the 1600x

Wut? Bullshit, I've got my 1600 running at 3.9 right now, all AMD's are unlocked.

you can OC the 1600, it's unlocked as well. Mine is overclocked to 3.9 GHz so don't say he can't ;_;

you don't need 800 watts anymore, unless you go dual GPU and shitloads of HDDs

600 should be enough for most setups

3.9 is hardly an overclock, its turbo is 3.6 that's only a .3ghz overlock, also its not fully unlocked, again its like the AMD black edition chips they did with the phenom lineup, where you'd get better OC's outa the black edition stuff. the 1600x Is what AMD calls "fully unlocked" so its a binned chip cream of the crop so to speak.
For comparison I currently run a 5820k that has a base of 3.3ghz, I'm running it at 4.5ghz under full load all cores at 1.35v with a max temp of 65c, it probably kicks the shit out of your new "toy" of a cpu.

Currently running cs550m. After 50 days there was loud resonating noice that seemed to come from fan. Noice disappeared and returned for second time, but has not reappeared since. 67 good days after that, but allready got rm550x for next power.

No you sperg, they're all unlocked the X series chips are just chips that binned better. The X is 4ghz on turbo and overclocks to 4ghz - which nukes your theory anywho. The current crop of Ryzens just don't like to go over 4ghz without serious voltage, some people get 4.1 but generally it's 4ghz, I can run 4 but I didn't want to smash that much voltage in for an extra 100hz.

>The X is 4ghz on turbo and overclocks to 4ghz

Wut?

You really have no idea what you're talking about do you.

but yes they are shit at overclocking. so OP shouldn't over clock.

evga makes the best psu

Yes clearly it's me with no idea.

>but yes they are shit at overclocking
True, the other way to look at it is simply that AMD released them at their ceiling, which either means they have a very clean fab with very expectable results or they had to push the envelope in an effort to give Intel a poke.
>so OP shouldn't over clock.
Why the fuck not?
3.2ghz on 6 cores
Will achieve 3.7 without changing voltage
Will achieve 3.9 with minor voltage bumps

>source: evga marketing

Not enough xD 650 or more

>AMD had to release CPU's at there limit of performance to compete with stock Intel CPU's

Sounds like Intel is the better option moving into the future.

That CPU/GPU will consume less than 350w even in an overclocked state, what exactly in the rest of his system is going to consume 300w?

don't come with your math
when they come with leet skillz

Yes yes, we get that you're a fanboy, shame about your lack of understanding of the competition.
>Not understanding he will reap the benefits of Intels price drops due to said compeition

>not understanding intel never drops anything
>not even the ball
>core i9's are going to end the cpu war before it starts.

get a bigger PSU anyway if you will still upgrade your pc in future - less work

Intel already have dropped prices...

this
time to bring down those inflated prices

>its not a drop its a reduction in inflation

True, you've got me there

Here are the ratings,
DC OUTPUT: 3.3V Max load 25A, 5V 20A, +12V 43A, -12V 0.8A. +5Vsb 3.0A. Fuck, why did I even start to read more about PSU's because my head hurts.

OP here

Yeah it'll work ok, single rail 12v so it's not going to fall over. The only question as to whether it will work or not is what's your upgrade path like? As the pc stands this is easily enough.

>single rail

sinde when is that good?
last i checked is: you want multi-rail for better load balancing. is that obsolete?

Multi rail is good when you've got plenty of spare power and if they have load sharing then it's just better. I didn't say single rail was good but if you split that rail in two and don't have load sharing then you have a 1070 consuming twice the power of a 1600 but both being allocated the same power.

OP here. This is my build:
>AMD Ryzen 5 1600
>550 Watt Corsair CS Series CS550M
>250GB Samsung 850 SSD
>Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming 3
>Asus gtx 1070 ROG strix
>Corsair Vengeance LED 16gb 3000
>Phanteks p400
The idea is to stick with this set about 3-5 years without any bigger upgrades.

Is the Corsair single rank? could you chuck up the model number. Just the Ryzen chipset is cranky with dual rank ram.

IIRC a good guide is:

i see. thx.

CP-9020076-NA

Sorry user, I meant the Ram model no, some ram will run at full speed, others won't and a common indicator is if the ram is single rank or not.

>1600W single rail

dear god

CMU16GX4M2C3000C15R

do not buy the corsair cs.. it's mediocre and oversized.
get a "be quiet! Straight Power 10 400W ATX 2.4", which is enough and has very good components... don't listen to anyone saying u need 500 watt or more. they have zero clue. u just need to get quality psu's and u are fine.

So he should pay twice the money to do the same job mr dubs?

>Sounds like Intel is the better option moving into the future.
>4 (FOUR) cores in 2017
You've got to be fucking kidding.

Sorry mate, can't find if it runs clean with the Gigabyte.

twice the money? here in germany the bequiet costs 68€ (76$) ... dunno what the corsair costs. but yes, it's worth it

With the latest updates it seems to work normally

Good stuff, so your PC is already up and running?

Naturally, it's a German product but you are telling him to buy a non modular supply which costs plenty more than the 80+ gold modular supply he's listed which will do the job just fine.

Gotta support the German industry. Tough times ahead.

You're one of those idiots that tells people to buy more than what they need based on your own assumptions.

ALL Ryzen CPU's are overclockable. Don't make false claims without doing proper research faggot.

this, exactly this listen to his advice close the thread and take no notice of anything else said your sorted

Agreed. Lots of PC gamers tell you to buy more than what you need simply because they buy into overkill gamer marketing.

i think they just never got the memo that all manufacturers are working hard and successfully on reducing power consumption

Also worth mentioning that psus only hit the efficiency target at certain points. Low load on a 1000 watt psu is less efficient on a moderate load on a 550 watt psu. Even if both are rated 80 gold

The ryzen 5 1600 won't run without 1600W of power. It's in the name
You need something like this newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182251

HAHA OH WOW

intel was afraid at ryzen so they made shit up about i9

simple story

power supply is gonna be 750-800 instead of the one i picked there.
additional graphiccard early 2018.
additional rams early 2018 aswell.
Cooling will be a simple Dark Rock.
pic related

amd really just wanted to get some attention.
intel has way more money to develope and also almost owns the monopole.

rock solid

Thought about a 1070, essentially all Ryzens clock to 4ghz give or take but it's a buttload cheaper to buy if you're willing to overclock. Nice build though, better than mine.

You need to get a NZXT H440 or it isn't a gaming rig

NZXT H440
... please dude

Be a great case I reckon, got a Noctis myself, no regerts.

i ordered graphic card, tower, supply, rams yet.
I am still not a 100% sure if i really want the ryzen 1800x -
also, the mainboard seems a little too expensive for my needs.
I had bad experience with AMD before but that cpus price peformance just seems unrealistic high so i consider.

>
>Lots of PC gamers tell you to buy more than what you need simply because they buy into overkill gamer marketing.
Need I say more?

it is a good case indeed but suggesting something with the sidenote it is not a gaming rig if not this one simply seems fucking stupid.

i hate windows in my cases... i would be happy with a black box that doesnt make any sound.
not gonna lie.
Also LED's and all that shit, i really do not give a fuck about. Looks cringy to me to have a computer that blinks.

But, if you have more suggestions on cases just drop them and ill check.
Right now, there doesnt seem anything better fpr me than the 800 silent base tho

You know he suggested a case about half the price of the one listed?

Check out the 1700, it's a bunch cheaper but will do the same job. Also if you don't mess with voltage you should still be able to get 3.7ghz and stock voltage Ryzens really low power consumption.

I'm progamer, i really dont need any high end pc since i play the game that i make my money with on low settings anyway.

I got a question for you guys tho.
What price peformance cpu from intel would you seem fitting to counter a ryzen 1800x?
I would spent around 500 for my CPU.

Yeah fair enough, I've always enjoyed a window, I like to be able to see the effort I put into cable management

I didn't check the price but his wording is what made me think that.

window cases do not comply properly with EM interference standards

you're leaving your pc more open to interference or the sake of childish bling

Well I bought an R5 1600 myself and I wouldn't personally buy an 1800x, simply because a 1700 will do the same job and you can throw the difference at cooling/ram/gpu/ssd etc but for gaming you'd have to say a 7700k, in terms of enterprise grunt the Intels come in a fair bit more expensive.
Although the price drops on the next gen Intels are going to narrow that, haven't looked too deeply into what they're going to retail at yet.

This
EVGA SuperNova 750 P2 Platinum
10 year warranty.
It's solid as a rock. Never a problem, being these are Super Flower PSU's, one of best mfg's around

why??? a bequiet dark power pro 550 watt handles 2 x 1070s... why would u get 750/800w... that would be a bad decision...

I see.
You know that one kid that keeps telling you shit about what might come and how the changes are gonna be?
I had some kid talking to me for hours that tryed to convince me to WAIT for i9.
Ironicly, the fact alone that he was such a sucker for intel made me reconsider and think about amd's more.
AMD's single core peformance doesnt really seem too good and looking at how bad games treat hyperthreading i made the first consideration to be an AMD.

You think im wrong about that thinking?

Does it handle a overclocked cpu tho?
God damnit now i really need to check the voltages.
Thanks for getting me there tho

Ryzen 5 1600 fag here. I actually have lots of weird CPU lags when I play BF1 for example.

For some reason my CPU sometimes goes up to 100% for some reason.

Sure it's the CPU, not some other software or OS changes?

Single core on the AMD's is fine, the clock rates won't match K series Kaby Lakes is essentially the problem, a 4ghz Ryzen will perform within about 5-10% of a 4ghz Kaby in games and in multithreaded apps benefit from the extra cores for similar money but the K series can overclock to 5+ghz which is where the real advantage in gaming comes from, thing is the Ryzens will run pretty much anything stutter free if the GPU is up to it and it only really matters if you're a twitch master running a 144hz monitor.
I run Witcher 3 maxxed at 1080 with my 1600 and a RX480, sure a 7700k will run it faster but I wouldn't notice shit with my 60hz monitor and I saved a bunch of money whilst buying a really low power 6 core cpu.

Interesting, haven't played BF1 myself, be curious if it happens to me. The reviews I've watched show the Ryzen to generally be really stable in the 1% lows.

It's the CPU, whenever I start lagging in game I switch over to the task manager and monitor the cause of the lag

I think he means why is the cpu loading to 100%, I don't think I've seen a test where a game fully loads an r5

As i mentioned before, i'm a progamer that makes a living out of playing shooters and i also stream during tournament break phases with around 400 viewers currently at peak time.
Twitch and 144hz are a thing for me.
I also can not risk fps drops and such.
Reading what you just said makes me turn more to the 7700k.

Yeap, assuming your streaming doesn't load the PC too bad the 7700k is frame king but you will want to OC it hard and run decent cooling. If the streaming does load it, then the Ryzen might be an option.

No idea why it's happening to me, didnt have so much time to find the cause yet since I'm too busy with other things atm

Sucks man, hope you track it down.

that tiny spike is all you're crying about?
probably a microsoft issue with peak display, not an AMD issue

Dont listing to this idiot op 600 is the magic number

Get 800W. it's like 10-20 bucks more for much more power. You might not need it, but you'd rather have the power and not need it than want it and not have it.

>you'd rather have the power and not need it

not really, no. underusing your PSU is retarded and reduces the benefit of having a modern PSU.