/prod/- Future Edition

Talk about music production, composition, and audio engineering.

Upload WIPs on clyp.it/

GIVE and RECEIVE feedback.

>ATTENTION!
DO NOT post Soundcloud, YouTube or any links where you are not anonymous. That is considered self promotion and will result in bad feedback.

>LEARNING RESOURCES

>The Art of Mixing
youtube.com/watch?v=TEjOdqZFvhY

>Intro to Synthesis
youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M&list=RDatvtBE6t48M#t=1764

YouTube channels that you should subscribe to:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>SeamlessR (Music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>BusyWorksBeats
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

>Justin Omoi
youtube.com/channel/UCMnmXvv9JHJPsrrob-gEn5A

>WarBeats
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Samori Coles
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

>Image Line Tutorials
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

>Music Theory: The TL;DR Version (Music Theory geared toward electronic)
www54.zippyshare.com/v/pUN8e0km/file.html

>Adam Neely (Music Theory and bass)
youtube.com/user/havic5/videos

>SamuraiGuitarist (Music Theory and guitar, ignore the blogging)
youtube.com/user/samuraiguit/videos

>Holistic Songwriting (Music Theory, Branding, and "Making It")
youtube.com/channel/UCLtD67ljlaeXQMV4sb-YzNA/videos

>Michael New (Music Theory and piano)
youtube.com/user/Rhaptapsody/videos

>READ THIS BEFORE ASKING ANYTHING

>Production Resources:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff
pastebin.com/08mwwiAV

Let's get to work bitches

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/kzp5bxhq
clyp.it/mivwlbhm
instaud.io/private/1ddd870c05126c41c8cda915da793288a2256fba
clyp.it/ulskxp03
youtube.com/watch?v=rJzc2lj3YdI
clyp.it/tav1c03p
instaud.io/12Ns
clyp.it/kfmflnyx
musictheory.net/exercises/ear-interval
clyp.it/
instaud.io/
pastebin.com/08mwwiAV
mu-sic-production.wikia.com/wiki/Sup
clyp.it/0k0i5lww
clyp.it/xoubduq2
clyp.it/w4m3y0sw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

how's this
clyp.it/kzp5bxhq

>clyp.it/kzp5bxhq
I think it has a lot of potential actually, but needs a lot of fixing like mixing, and quantizing, and vocals if you're into that type of shit. The deeper horn thing that comes in at around 0:55 is really out of sync which makes it seem like it doesn't mesh well with the underlying melody setup in the beginning. You really gotta fix that part.

Seriously. Quantize your shit dude. Not to the point of it being inhuman, but to a point where it's listenable.

Also the first part goes on for way too long and it becomes repetitive.

clyp.it/mivwlbhm
I switched the track to mono at some point in the beat and I feel like it was the wrong decision because it's too jarring. Should I have kept it in stereo?

thanks for the feedback, i will consider it, although don't see how the horn is out of sync though

I'm bringing back old school dubstep.

that's too late. big beat revival is where it's at.

Is this a joke?

well something's out of sync

no

>If I make a plunderphonics album to the extent of SILY by The Avalanches, how much would it cost to clear samples?
Depends on how big is your act and most importantly how big is the act you're sampling.
Most of the time it's a flat fee, but some times it's a percentage of the money you make (sales, royalties, etc).

Isn't mixing literally just making it sound good?

>...................................

can you make it good this time plz

Well, making the song sound good is the goal of mixing, but it's also the goal of everything you do in production, so that's a pretty idiotic statement.

>so that's a pretty idiotic statement
I try

instaud.io/private/1ddd870c05126c41c8cda915da793288a2256fba

Still need to work on this... Feedback is appreciated.

no

clyp.it/mivwlbhm

In all seriousness though, you mix to:

-Create a good balance between everything that's going on in your song, so you don't have a sound that's "too loud" or "too quiet", and hopefully that stays the same when played on all different speakers, headphones, etc.
Also to have some cohesion between the parts and make them sound like a single piece instead of a bunch of individual sounds playing on each other (but mixing isn't enough for that, as you also need good arrangement, sound selection/design, and mastering to achieve good cohesion).

-Bring (or take away) attention to the right elements at the right time.

I thought it was going to be interesting until the beat came in lol sorry

what did you use for the granular part? the rest is meh.

trying to fl?

needs way more fuckery.... the guitar needs a lot of processing imo. drums might be too big....

mix issues mostly

Recreated Koopa's Theme from SM64 and would like feedback on the synth sounds and the overall mix.

clyp.it/ulskxp03

Original - youtube.com/watch?v=rJzc2lj3YdI

(not listening to the original because then i can't be objective)

the two leads are clashing hard

i don't like the drums. too much reverb... very much 80s/90s cheesy drum machine sounding. the hats especially lack presence/sound washed out.

i don't LOVE the synth sounds but they're okay ish....most of the problem is clashing synths and drowned out drums....

if you're going for that old school sound at least gate the reverb on a send lol

>mix issues mostly
Can you go into a little more detail?

(about to play a game i'll come back right after)

I don't know that there's much more I can say than everything is fighting to be in the front

hey what's up dudes. Can I get some feedback?

clyp.it/tav1c03p

Is there a better community other than Sup Forums where people talk about music production and we dissect new releases and talk about the genres and where the industry is going?

Like a discord server or something?

unironically /r/edmproduction

i feel like that would only be full of teenagers and people who only make dubstep and house

>I don't know that there's much more I can say than everything is fighting to be in the front
I got you. Thanks

Actually just checked it out. The discussions going on there are leagues better than anything I've ever seen on /prod/

I'll lurk for a few days and see how it goes.

There are many producers of mainstream genres like that, but there are also many producers of other genres.
Lots of experienced and helphul people too.

Also try /r/WeAreTheMusicMakers/ and whatever sub for your genre.

Cool, thanks.
Looks like mixing and gated reverb is what I'm going to look into.

/r/wearethemusicmakers

but they're a bit wanky

What do you mean?

Reddit

I hate using that word as an adjective but it's what I mean.

be the change you want to see user

>/r/WeAreTheMusicMakers

honestly just as cancer as /prod/ except with a lot more self promotion of shitty articles

occasionally people post videos (also their own pretty often) but sometimes those can help if you're still new/unfamiliar with some common techniques

for u

(also full of amateur circle jerking and trite advice with an "anything is possible xD attitude)

i just want a small tight knit community of talented producers who i can talk about music production in depth with and won't bash music for stupid reasons

neither reddit nor /prod/ offers me that

reddit is too circlejerky and prod is too superficial

Oh well, it's reddit after all.
I used to have /r/edmproduction in my RSS feeds for the links they post, and there were always new finds.
Never followed WATMM because it was more generic and I wanted EDM-specific stuff, but they sometimes post cool resources (either tutorials, or samples, or whatever).
After a few days you develop a sort of intuition that helps weed out the useless "reddit-y" posts and find the cool third party stuff they post.

There are normal BBS forums for that.

Maybe see if you have a local community and make friends with them.

>prod is too superficial
are you referring to the >nice song (shit advice) listen to mine< or something else?

>tight knit community of talented producers

hate to break it but they have better things to do and don't need this shit

also whenever people come in who actually know what they're doing they're usually shunned... when i noticed that and (Actual) professionals commented on that on watmm was arround when i stopped taking anything people say online seriously. easily digestible amateur level dialogue is all that will fly

those are either all dead or dying
there's an ableton user group meetup that goes on every month in my area, I've been meaning to go but it seems like it's more of a place for people to network with each other and use each other to try to make it than actually improve their skills and have meaningful interactions

how did people like steve duda and deadmau5 meet up in the 90s and collaborate over the internet? Is it because the internet was smaller so it was easier to find people who had autistic level of interest in the same topic as you?

Finding a single friend to click with is way easier (even now) than finding a community of people.

Even on /prod/ you can probably find people who would exchange contacts and be firends outside. It's just that this kind of imageboard isn't made for that, so nobody tries.
If we all started namefagging maybe we would become friends and would bring our discussions outside of here as well.

I guess because of the anonymity of Sup Forums it's hard for prod to feel like a community, and that's really what I'm looking for. It's not easy for discussions to get anywhere past posting a demo and getting basic mixing advice from a stranger who may or may not know what they're talking about.

I guess I might need to start actually going outside and going to shows and talking to people. I'm sure people exist who are into music as much as I am, I live near San Francisco. I just hate socializing with strangers, but that's a personal issue I have to deal with.

That's what friends and music scenes are for. Not that I would know about either.

instaud.io/12Ns
tips pls

we really gonna start namefagging tho?

desu I wouldn't even be that mad. It'd be a break from the Sup Forums monotony.

Namefagging isn't for everyone.
Especially for the kind of crowd that this website attracts.

If somebody wants to, why not?
I think it would make /prod/ better.
The only important thing is that we keep it within these generals and don't start tripfagging around the website, because that would be shameful.

>If somebody wants to, why not
because it's unwelcome on Sup Forums unless you're some faggot trying to attention whore obviously

>I think it would make /prod/ better.

How so? I can only see the obvious negative side affects happening

Sup Forums is not the platform for namefagging.

Prod would become a cancerous shithole if namefagging were encouraged.

There can be a community outside of Sup Forums where we can encourage identities, but it has to be outside of Sup Forums. An unofficial prod discord server might be the best place to start

i feel liek that would get old and die after a few hours desu

>when you sample a hip hop song to make another hip hop song

>because it's unwelcome on Sup Forums unless you're some faggot trying to attention whore obviously
That's why I said to keep it inside these generals.

>How so? I can only see the obvious negative side affects happening
Because people would have the incentive of acting like an actual community (to keep their reputations and everything).
For example, if a tripfag is in the thread, he can't just pretend he's not here and not give feedback.
Or if advices are tied to a name, they're more likely to be good and in-depth compared to the half-assed tips we get now.

You know, all those consequences and social aspects that come from people having a name and not be able to act carelessly like we do here anonymously.

You can always post without it if you want to.

The only downside is that people start attention whoring, but they can be filtered easily, so that's a non-issue.

There are multiple niche communities on Sup Forums (either on the smaller boards, or in generals inside big ones) where there is actually a community with tons of tripfags, and the attention whoring is not that bad.

This is not the platform for that. It would devolve into two or three guys dominating the threads, with a bunch of the namefags eventually leaking into the rest of Sup Forums and making everyone hate prod for causing it

How's this sounding?

clyp.it/kfmflnyx

Yeah, you're probably right about the leaking part.
I don't know about the 2/3 guys dominating the thread. This depends on how many of us are here in the first place, and how many are dedicated enough to come regularly and build a community.

As someone else said before, a Discord (or similar) would get old pretty quickly, so I guess we're bound to have a shitty anonymous community with no chance to improve it, since nobody gives a shit about posting valuable content.

How do I stop being rhythm deaf? I can't transcribe rhythms worth a shit.

Practice.

still more successful than u :^)

>people start attention whoring
that's definitely not a non issue wtf

i'm aware of those other communities, /prod/ is obviously vulnerable to self promotion though

>Or if advices are tied to a name, they're more likely to be good and in-depth compared to the half-assed tips we get now.
>etc etc

nobody is forcing them to post lol. all that would happen is if a person feels like posting something longwinded they'll want that attributed to their identity. if they're feeling lazy they won't post or will take it off

I'm a regular who gives long winded advice semi-frequently... idk, it might just be me but i feel like most people who do things to benefit the community on Sup Forums do it willingly and without thanks for the sake of altruism

with trips those same people will still be here but itll attract the wrong people

idk biggest thing imo is if it were a good idea it would have already caught on, nothing was stopping it from happening before

hella raw hella fat
(too) and (too)

need to low pass and carve out low mids a lot...

or leave some. i can see a trashy aesthetic with the drums working but where it's at right now... not so much. nothings in the background except that pad

I mean how tho? For chords and intervals I used this service, grinding intervals and chords for maybe 100 hours altogether.

musictheory.net/exercises/ear-interval

I'm not sure if there is something similar to do in terms of identifying complex rhythms.

>still more successful than u :^)
who? Dilla, you, or the artist I'm sampling?

What de-essers do you guys use?
Any decent freebies? All i've tried is spitfish, it's making things glitch out on me

try slowing things down and listening more carefully? drum tutorials on youtube... practice to a metronome

oh i thought you were making fun of him nvm homie

>that's definitely not a non issue wtf
It's an issue when people start focusing more on being seen than on posting good replies. Like it already happens with tripfags (which is mostly the reason why some of them are universally despised while others are not).

>nobody is forcing them to post lol. all that would happen is if a person feels like posting something longwinded they'll want that attributed to their identity. if they're feeling lazy they won't post or will take it off
I was referring to how people here complain all the time that nobody gives feedback or help. If you're a tripfag and you know people know you're in the thread, you can't pretend you're not online, because people will call you out for never being helpful.

>I'm a regular who gives long winded advice semi-frequently... idk, it might just be me but i feel like most people who do things to benefit the community on Sup Forums do it willingly and without thanks for the sake of altruism
Yeah, but there can be incentives for people who wouldn't do it anonymously (because why would them if there'd be no consequences for not doing it?), but with a reputation they would.

>idk biggest thing imo is if it were a good idea it would have already caught on, nothing was stopping it from happening before
It doesn't necessarily have to happen organically. It can also happen artificially, like we were discussing earlier.

lmao nah never

who tf would be in a music production thread shitting on Dilla?

I think Dilla sampling other hip hop songs was one of the dopest things he did.

>people will call you out for never being helpful.

would they? i'm not sure that kind of entitlement is healthy. nobody has to listen to their songs jeez

>there can be incentives for people who wouldn't do it anonymously

my gut and desire for integrity tells me that's fucked but then again, if it helps people to get more useful feedback that might be a good thing..... meh

Sup /prod/

I'm looking for a poly specificity to serve as a chord machine.

Save up for a Dreadbox Abyss or buy a Korg Minilouge now?

>who tf would be in a music production thread shitting on Dilla?

thread or two ago some anons were going back and forth on it actually, ended up in the instigator making a quick beat in that style to prove how easy it was. (just a dusty sample with a beat on it)

I don't love dilla or anything but I kind of get how some dudes might hear it and think it's overly simple/easy to pull off (obviously not true)

>would they? i'm not sure that kind of entitlement is healthy. nobody has to listen to their songs jeez
Not in a "fuck you you piece of shit you owe it to me" kind of way. Just as in people aknowledging you're not helpful, especially if you then ask for feedback yourself.

>my gut and desire for integrity tells me that's fucked but then again, if it helps people to get more useful feedback that might be a good thing..... meh
It's human nature man.
It's why forums with nicknames and identities are always significantly better than their Sup Forums counterpart where everyone is always shitposting and giving halfassed replies.

Chordbot ;^)

I was in that thread. Dude was a dick but I still liked the sample. Didn't sound like Dilla, but it wasn't bad.

I'd rather have the shitposting and variety thrown in with rare quality as opposed to consistently luke warm... that's why we're all on Sup Forums lol. It sounds like you just want it to be something else

You can still shitpost without the trip.
Just that having trips and building an actual community ON TOP of that would be helpful for actual serious stuff.
It's not an either-or thing. We'd still have a majority of anonymous users, so we'd have the best of both worlds.

A few months ago I watched a youtube video about a producer making a beat by sampling some records.
He was black and maybe tall. He was smiling and easy going, and was sitting in a studio (IIRC it had that visible red brick look) where he had his laptop on a table close to the wall, and he sat between the table and the wall (so that the laptop screen was pointed at the wall, as opposed to having the table right next to the wall and the back of the laptop pointed at it).
From the camera's perspective the laptop was on the right, and his record player was on the left. He also had a Machine or MPC (something like that).

Not sure but I think it was one of those "make a beat in under X minutes" videos.

Does anybody know what I'm talking about?

No you're mistaken. I don't want to play anything. I'd really prefer to understand how the notes should look at a fundamental level, not just play them. I have bad coordination anyway. If this were a pre-midi world I wouldn't bother trying to do anything musical. Purely cerebral process for me.

On the topic of maintaining a better community, I feel like the OP is way too long and can easily be consolidated into less shit, like putting all of the learning resources into a separate pastebin instead of giving each one it's own link, maybe have rotating links for news like other generals, but overall keep it less cluttered and oriented towards people just getting started with production.
As well as maintaining the OP, we should really push the wiki way more and encourage contributing towards it. I mean, it's not even in the fucking OP links, that at least would be a good start.

i dont know
i honestly have never once clicked on any of those links

The entire YouTube section sans art of mixing/that 80s synth tutorial should be axed.

/prod/ - Music Production

life support editon

Welcome to /prod/, a place to discuss music production, sound design, engineering and all things related. Discussion is encouraged, elitism is mocked.

Upload WIPs on clyp.it/ or instaud.io/

GIVE and RECEIVE feedback. DO NOT post Soundcloud, YouTube or any links where you are not anonymous. That is considered self promotion and will result in bad feedback!

--------------------------------------------------

>Production Resources
pastebin.com/08mwwiAV

>/prod/ Wiki - Guides and Tutorials
mu-sic-production.wikia.com/wiki/Sup Forumssic_Production_Wiki

>The Art of Mixing

>Intro to Synthesis

Previous thread:

good size

>maybe have rotating links for news like other generals
I like this. But what would we talk about?

Look at what a lot of the YouTube tutorials do and it reflects a lot of these threads, I personally think that the tutorials claiming to teach entire mix processes from start to finish tend to be too superficial, and you can't really blame them for that when there is a whole world of technique to teach.

The alternative is to be more specific, so threads could be alternated - like "This is drums week" for example where we try to concentrate on drum recording, miking, mix and processing techniques and maybe that would help build a /prod/ knowledge base over time as the threads cover each instrument?

Admittedly this kinda thing is usually best delivered through forums rather than threads that expire and are pruned, but in time there would be an archive we can refer back to for specific questions (to save having to go over the same replies over and over) and it would be a good thing to try to build.

This is a really good idea. I support it.

How am into /prod/, fellow Sup Forumstants? :^)

I like this approach a lot. It always gives us something relevant to discuss.

anyone here who barely watches tutorials/reads manuals and shiet? I think its kinda boring

Since no clyps have been uploaded in a while I'm reposting Koopa's Theme with a updated mix
Cut back on the reverb, changed the hats and ride, add gentle compression to the two layered synths,
raise the second synth an octave. and general EQ.
Is it any better? Looking to see about how the synths sound and if they are clashing.

clyp.it/0k0i5lww

First few weeks would be a bit sticky, if we're trying to keep to a single targeted subject while still seeing questions coming in that are unrelated, but if we can get over that and at the end of each week we canvass for the following week's subject we can keep things useful for most people.

Hi, I think this sounds pretty good but I just dont know where to take it next and continue making it into a full song.
clyp.it/xoubduq2

So... what do you guys think?
clyp.it/w4m3y0sw

Ok so i got some audio samples of percussive instruments

How do i get to use them like a virtual instrument that i can program on the reaper's MIDI roll, instead of pasting each audio clip on the timeline?

Really repetetive and boring.

Can I get some feedback?

clyp.it/tav1c03p

We gotta start with drums. Drums are the basis of almost every good track, and my drums are ass.

so like, how could i improve?

I feel like my ears are gonna explode every time I hear that snare.

Sounds fine in my headphones.

how important is knowing music theory to making electronic music in general?