/daily/ music listening thread: June 27th edition

Rest in peace DJ Screw. Today is the anniversary of the legendary freestyle session as heard on the DJ Screw's June 27th mixtape.

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

Previously on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aP0m-PJozWo
youtube.com/watch?v=eFGVxeH_fc8
strawpoll.me/13303445
youtube.com/watch?v=BxOA3abm1B0
youtube.com/watch?v=6RH10pxcLyI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

just fucking butchered my first interview.

wtf I thought this was gonna be music

just a thought.
While i really enjoy the BCD compilations, i feel like they fqil to properly capture the quality of the songs in them. The short edit of Quadrant Dub is a disgrace compared to the full thing. I mean of course, you can't just put the full length of every song because the compilation would be too fucking big but i believe that compilation to be more of a bunch of samples of the sound they made rather than the ultimate, definitive go-to listen of Basic Channel.

Is your bum tickled?

the ultimate, definitive go-to listen of Basic Channel is fuck Basic Channel put on some Scooter

big concert with Houston rappers+afterparty

wew it's been a minute

what next

yo
Kelly Lee Owens

missed u
bugskull

I haven't listened to much DJ Screw outside of One Day but this June 27th freestyle is excellent

Sextant

mario world is the best soundtrack on there u fool

k

*bip boop beep*

there I've heard every pokemon gameboy soundtrack

Hey bud hit that ceatano veloso

btw Idk if y'all remember but I had to order the this Jeanne Marie record because it's not available online. It's really damn good too if you're into 80s post-punk/ethereal wave. I'll try ripping/uploading it within the weak. It has a few pops here and there but nothing serious.

and that's different from SMW how?

At least it doesn't rely on corny-ass PCM sampling so heavily. Literally the Garageband of 90s vidya music.

k ;)

*week

cue easy joke about moosic being weak hue hue fonny

at least they can play more than 2 notes at a time

>mfw I hear some gnarly fusion

don't lose your time with Herbie
glad to see you liked IOSYS
if i were you i would change La Lucha for Sera which is the better album. Suit yourself

Is GTA Vice City any% vaporwave?

I love "one day"
Try the whole June 27th mixtape. I think the Codeine Fiend mixtape is very good too

the gbc sound card had four voices tf are you on about

even so that was more than enough to make great music:
youtube.com/watch?v=aP0m-PJozWo
and that's not even using the noise/percussion voice, so it's only three.

i feel this post so hard

thank shameman

So what are you guys listening to?

>music, 1994
dooo dooo dodo doot doo
doo doo doot do doo dooo doo
doo doo dodo doot doo
doo doot doot dodododooooo
- super mario world

>music 1996
blip blop tweet *fart*
-pokemon

what happened???

you literally reversed the two songs

Pianos Become The Teeth - The Lack Long After (2011)
>screamo
Obviously I'm being pretty flippant here, but that was a nice listen. I only wish that more of the songs could take notes from the closer, because up until that point the vocalist is pretty one-note (though there are instrumental parts that act as the softer moments before some of the crescendos). My other favorite song is Liquid Courage, because it shows off what I think are the real strengths of this album: the post-rock instrumentation, and the drumming.

Thee Oh Sees - Warm Slime (2010)
>garage rock
Technically I'm familiar with John Dwyer because I used to listen to Coachwhips a bit, but that couldn't have prepared me for this. The title track was pretty neat, I like how the driving rhythm of the bass/drums/vocals kept things together while everything else went in a lot of interesting directions.
The rest of the tracks ranged from alright to meh though. Flash Bats was probably the high point, but I Was Denied and Everything Went Black in particular felt like they were trying to prolong the vibe on the title track, but without doing anything interesting to justify it. I never listen to this kind of music so maybe I have shit taste, but as a whole this was just "okay" for me.
3-

Who would win in a fight, denji or Benji?

that picture is a godsend, i recognize it strongly from when I was 16

Us.

>I only wish that more of the songs could take notes from the closer
I definitely do not agree but I accept your opinion

>My other favorite song is Liquid Courage
Good onion

If you liked the closer, check out the Touché Amoré / Pianos Become The Teeth split, their song on that one is a bit similar.
Have you listened to Old Pride?

>music 1968
blip blop tweet *fart*
-frank zappa

what happened???

helo fucks.

henlo

This was one of the first screamo album that I've listened to, so I think that affected my perspective a lot. I liked it a lot though, so I'll be sure to check them out.

'the index'? more like 'if you enjoy this drink windex'!

how are you stick!

What did you do?

But no
You are so dumb

talked too much about my mind and talked like i already had the job a bit.

Any more lined up yet?

'Anonymous'? More like 'Dogevillage'!

dont say his name its like beetlejuice but worse

did Driftin' send you on a cosmic voyage?

Yeah to drink some windex
Jk s'good

Gnod more like Gnodding off

Beat happening more like bad happening more like beat crappening more like weak happening more like shaggs rippening

more like
nothing happening

music more like gay

(autism) speaks happening

nah. if this doesn't work out i'll probably drive around to some mom and pop stores.

Best of luck, buddy. Make sure you mention that you're a good friend :)

will do.

Whoa didn't realize this was a white power band.

lul

haven't posted here in a spicy minute but this album is blowing me away

Howlin Wolf - Moanin In The Moonlight
>blues or some shit
3.5+

Jethro Tull - Child Molestation by Homeless Dregs Whomst Worship Jesu Kristus
>brütal slamming flute rock
3.5+

>peasant
more like pheasant

yup, it's great and already well-loved here

Peasant more like unpleasant

i didn't find the any essential indie rock chart

rec?

Fish v Terminus in the final round for this old thing

i'll write some thoughts out soon, maybe tomorrow though

idk just check out some artists on the spotify indie playlist like everyone else

arvo part more like arvo fart

and what order are these words supposed to be in?

why are your images so ugly (in a good way)

84,000 hours in MS Paint

I guess this is relevant to DJ Screw, can anyone recommend hip-hop or sample based albums with cool experimental production? Like pic related?

>(in a good way)
"no"

great post im gonna read it 19328 times

ok lmao, but that guys picture is ugly af

that's what i said

(in a bad way)
"no"

Thanks man lol

youtube.com/watch?v=eFGVxeH_fc8

No see It's just like music

It's great because it purposefully looks/sounds bad

Going to see Boris in october lads.

Me too!
Where at?

Union Transfer

(in philly)

also pick my destiny
strawpoll.me/13303445

hey /blog/, how's the Richard Dawson circlejerk going?

saw LCD in the city last weekend. Got completely smashed, sang and flailed like a drunk person, couldn't talk at all in the morning. Murphy and the crew came out like 90 minutes late, but it was still one of the greatest shows I've been to. They're getting old for sure but they've still got it I guess--It makes such a difference when the whole room has the same energy and knows all the songs and whatnot

and when they played Movement, that made my year

would rec catching their tour some time

And I'm going to catch Alex G in the city next friday with a friend, hype

Been really into Galaxie 500 recently. "Strange" may literally be about tripping on acid, but imo it's the most epic existential crisis I've ever heard. The way the vocals wail, so far from the mic too, is uh oh wow. "Tugboat Captain" has a similar arresting effect

Btw anyone know what happened to that chart I was doing w/ trip and rudi? I've been way busy and have been doing a miserable job of keeping up with the listening

>page 8

youtube.com/watch?v=BxOA3abm1B0
youtube.com/watch?v=6RH10pxcLyI

The version of Nightcruising that's on this bad boy hoe my gahhhhhhhhhhhhh

gentle bump and also reminder for reccs from stick, natkingcole, tripup, blapp, lamb, borzoi

snagged tix for death grips and aesop rock so should be lined up for a good month

[REDACTED] - 4.33

>Robert Hood - Minimal Nation
Not into minimal techno but this is the best pure example I've heard of it so far.
5+/11

>Oval - 94 Diskont
Not sure why I hated this that much before but the 29 minuites worth of the two "Do While" tracks are just nothing, I forgot the album was still on when the reprise happened. There's nice sound design but they don't use it anywhere close to its potential.
4+/11

>Autechre - Tri repetae
This is the Autechre I really don't like, mechanical typical IDM bleeps with nothing special in it. There are some "ok" tracks to help, or maybe an interesting sound with no good backing.
4+/11

___________ more like bleep_______
borzoi next

Going to sleep, but also posing a question

what makes you give an album a 9/10 or 10/10? Does it come with completely consistent enjoyment, or how much you want to relisten? Or is it the personal appeal to composition/production that pushes a solid album above?

An 11/11 for me still has flaws, it's just that the emotional and enjoyable power that these 3 albums have given me have exceeded and have absolutely broken me emotionally in whatever way; Stema Tarnyt is happiness, Dark and Stormy Night is awe and 98.12.28 is beauty.
There's always a possibility for me to find an album that I could love even more than these 3, and I would have to make my ratings to go up to 12 to accommodate: Restricting your rating into a set value isn't for me, I want to sort it into my own categories I can determine from how I feel listening to different music.

Autism.

looking for similar to pic related

Oh i just go by how much it sounds like Sing to God

So how bout that dgd?

I don't know what dgd is

if it Fucks Me Up its 10/10

the hardcore rnb ep you didnt like

what the hell this is great

if I'm dead for like the next week that's because I'm out of town twice

William Ackerman - In Search of the Turtle's Navel

5/5 is when someone insulting the album feels like they're insulting me personally.

Oh shoot Dance Gavin Dance, yeah I hated the voice and personally thought it occupied the weird space just outside the mainstream softcocked 'hardcore'. Just not my taste in hardcore more than anything