This is such boring dated pop garbage, why is it one of the most acclaimed albums ever? Sure the synths sound nice...

This is such boring dated pop garbage, why is it one of the most acclaimed albums ever? Sure the synths sound nice. The production is layered. But the compositions themselves are nothing special at all.

>But the compositions themselves are nothing special at all.

that's literally the point of all of Eno's music though, he's the musician who was never a musician

ask me how I know no one tied your shoe

I can't describe to you how much this is not pop music

i agree and hes a shit singer. his greatest works were always collabs with other artists. definitely overrated in terms of styles hes credited with inventing.

you really dont get it if you think its not pop. eno was very deliberately creating a pop album

Y O U H A V E T O F E E L I T

It's a fucking abstract art piece that barely sounds like music. Or anything else that had ever been created at the time.

It's not pop music. Fuck you.

imagine being like this

>dated
This album could come out today and it would sound new. Fuck outta here

Pop means "popular". As in designed to appeal to as many people as possible.

I know you want people to think you're so knowledgable about music you just assume other people's idea of lively music is The Smiths but please can it with this insufferable fedoraism.

it's a refreshing aperitif

>St Elmo's Fire isn't a pop song

>Sure the synths sound nice. The production is layered. But the compositions themselves are nothing special at all.

This is exactly the point. This is an album about beautiful SOUNDS rather than beautiful SONGS. The screaming noise in the background of Zawinul/Lava is one of the most tearjerking sounds ever put on record. If you need complex, multi-suite compositions to be impressed by an album go back to listening to prog and let us appreciate Another Green World for the classic that it is.

you just proved you have very little knowledge of music

This guy gets it

Yeah, it really isn't.

If you give St Elmo's Fire mainstream radio play people will be saying "what the fuck is this", not rushing to the iTunes store to buy that instantly recognisable song so they can hear that sweet hook again.

Pop doesn't mean "remotely on the coin of being fun to listen to"

no u

Saying something doesn't make it true. If you have some kind of intelligent rebuttal I'm happy to hear it.

its clear no one was saying mainstream 2017 pop hits when we were talking about pop...

>about beautiful SOUNDS
>shitty vocalist with shitty lyrics

Only 5 of the 14 tracks have vocals.

It isn't pop under any circumstances.

why does every song have to fade out just write an outro for once you dickwad

He's not a great singer but he holds a melody and can get the job done. Also, there is only singing on a few tracks, so if it's absolutely unbearable to you then you should still be able to appreciate at least half of the album.

I've always found the lyrics to be evocative and thought provoking in their own cryptic, poetic way, but different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

GOAT Eno coming through

Eno just knows how to make great music. The album is very well put together in that the arrangement of songs on the album is flawless. He gets little things right like when to bring in the drums, when to bring in the vocals, what kind of basslines to use tie everything together etc.

Beautiful sounds is exactly right as well. I've gotta say I've heard maybe half of these instruments/synths on any other album up to now, so it's not like he's not taking risks on this. Yet they all fit perfectly to create pop music. He gets it exactly right when the album is calling for more energy, when it's calling for more space, when a vibe has reached the point where it needs to be resolved (I've never heard that done better than on I'll come running), how long a song should last for maximal impact.

I think the first side is one of the most perfect I've ever heard.

Can't tell if that art is amazing or horrible.

i'll give you that pop has many meanings. its pop as in popular music in terms of societal role (as opposed to art or folk music), in terms of being popular (essentially a household name album), and its pop music as in genre (simple verse chorus verse structures centred around a hook.)

the whole point of the album is that it worked within the strucures of pop music and reoriented focus from hook or instrument playing to one of sound as someone said before.

if its not pop then its not important album as krautrockers had long and art musicians had long beat him to the punch of textural sonic scapes. what made it important and revolutionary is that it IS POP!

It's art pop you massive faggots

Alright fair enough

I'm just objecting to people alluding to anything remotely fun to listen to being classified as "pop music"

dang mr wikipedia showed up wow

They're calling it pop because it is fucking pop. Ever heard of Art Pop you giant faggot? Another Green World is an Art Pop record. I hope you're fucking ashamed and you educate yourself before you go condescend to people like that again.

Pop means "designed to be as popular as possible". Do you need me to write in on my dick and fuck you in the ass for you to understand this?

If the colloquial term "art pop" (this term is a nonsequitor, that's basically what makes the genre interesting) is "pop" then the point of being a left-field personal undertaking has been nullified

You're making up a definition and then arguing what it means

ITT: People playing words games and arguing dictionary definition instead of praising and discussing this piece of art

This was an interesting journey, aye OP? I mean, you've gotten all the (You)s now and we have a new pasta to hide or filter. Win-win.

>tfw (You)s don't add up like upvotes

I don't know if this is a good album, but Fripp truly brings the heat in St. Elmo's fire and that's the only track I've heard

Wait which way is the right way up?