Hermit Crab thread

Hermit Crab thread.

Going to get hermit crabs soon. Show me your hermit crabs and tanks need some ideas.

Do yourself a favor, and don't.

Worst pet I ever had. Totally regret it.

How so?

Pagoo!

I also want to know why it was bad,

Don't you think /an/ would be a better place for good information about pet X?

Yeah but but morbid curiosity wants to see what Sup Forums has to offer.

Lets roll then. I'll lurk.

Sex was itchy.

Those things are gross and they always smell. If you want aquatic life, do yourself a favor and buy some discus fish or some goldfish.

Actually I'm getting rid of my fish and turning it into a hermit crab tank. That issue one small issue turns into a big fuck issue. Atleast when I read what Hermit crabs aren't to much work I was like fuck I'm down. Plus they are cute little buggers.

Mantis shrimps are way better. They'll punch your pathetic hermit crabs to dust with their 50 mph strikes.

also sorry for my spelling its kinda late but can't sleep. Story of all Sup Forums.

Do not have the patients or the money to even think of doing a saltwater tank.

If I were to get a crab it would be a halloween crab. Way better than a hermit crab.

Oh yeah I've seen those guys they seem pretty cool I guess but my heart is kinda set on getting a hermit.

The patience and money are worth the violent shows which these bastards can provide.

To start with I innocently bought two from the pet store, and went home with one of those cheap little plastic-handle cages and found out immediately I'd been totally lied to about everything they need... And they DO NEED stuff. Just shoving them into a tiny cage with some sand, a little food, and the panted shells they're sold in is the worst thing you can possible do for them.

I did everything right for those bastards. Cleaning, shitloads of shell options... Plenty of food options... Plenty of shit to dick around with... Kept it at a perfect humidity, perfect temp... Everything... It was perfect... Even had two to make sure they wouldn't get lonely (they do bad when alone)... And the bigger one still mauled the shit out of the smaller one because he was a little asshole, and then he died a few months later himself. Utter and complete bullshit, complete waste of time and money, no enjoyment at all.

-3 out of 10. Will never get them again.

Were they fighting for the shell or was the little one molting?

Nope, as mentioned there were FUCKTONS of shells to pick from...

The bigger one was just an asshole. :)

Aren't they like insane to keep because they are known to break the glass tanks?

Really, it was a massive terrarium. The larger of the two went out of his way to be a shitbag.

I've never heard of this happening... But I only know about the small little things. Not the purple claws or whatever the shit the giant fuckers are called.

That sucks dude I'm sorry you had that happened to you.

It's okay man, just lesson learned.

Just at that point in my life where I have 0% interest in volunteering to do more work day-to-day like a pet requires.

I've been there with my fish....

Anyone else got some stories good or bad? Still like to see some tanks.

Fuck I'll repost this kind of thread later in the night see what happens.

im here lurking pal but have nothing to contribute. cute little fellas want also know more about them.

I know some stuff any in particular you want to know?

I had hermit crabs when I was little, they're ok. Honestly though you can get more interesting pets for an old fish tank than them and most of the time they don't even move around or anything

arent they boring? i never had fish or anykind of turtles only dogs. What to do with them?

Neither do I but is all I can real get cause I still live with my family (fuck me right?) I'd love to personalty get a bearded dragon but hermits crabs are just as good. Plus they are cute little fuckers.

I used to have them as a kid, pretty easy to take care of and they love peanut butter.

Yes and no You can play with them like hands on let them climb on you and shit but you shouldn't handle them to much for they get stressed EXTREMELY easily. I mean if you want a pet you can get do alot of hands on stuff hermit crabs aren't for you. If you want a pet that just looks cool and different than crabs are for you.

interesting. what do they eat? some smaller fish or worms? and what do they do if they are stressed?

Anything really just as long it isn't produced or with chemicals in them. Like fruit, veggies, chicken hell even other crab meat.

they fucking stink

make sure to sprat them with water every day or they will die

I was going to get a humidifier for them heard it's easier and makes it good for them. What you guys think?

Post moar crabs in things that aren't shells

Don't they stink because of the food?

Get this threat living and you got a deal.

This turn you on Sup Forums? Hermit crab in a tiny tea cup.

What about an emperor scorpion?

Oh fuck i thought they had a shell naturally from birth until now

Scorpions freak me out. Plus I live with my grandma and already pushing it trying to get hermit crabs.

Nope they is squishy.

Heres a creepy one for you Sup Forums

I used to work at a pet store. Saw one switch shells. May have been because i out too much salt in its bath water, by accident.

Big named pet store?

Naw, local. But the crabs were always awesome.

Nice.

>live by the beach
>all the free hermit crabs I could ever want

You jello OP?

Fuck you and your beach.

This goes for most small animals, but pairs are not a good thing to have. dogs, mice, rats, ferrets, and even crabs will become more like competitors rather than siblings in pairs. Get 3+ to make it feel more like a community than an arena.

Was planning on it tbh.

Thats metal as fuck

Once I had a hermit crab and he finally picked his shell by my asshole bird killed him. Don't get one if you have a bird.

I'll keep that in mind.