Who are some artists that have an obvious Elliott Smith influence?

Who are some artists that have an obvious Elliott Smith influence?

miley cyrus

Frank Ocean literally sang a bit of "Fond Farewell" on his song "Seigfried" off of Blonde.

the beatles

Sharon Van Etten I think?

Carissa's Weird does I think. Delivery, bleak subject matter and lo-fi folky-ness.

Since when did depression become fashionable? I've known girls like this. They lead happy lives. They're generally upper middle class, they get into good colleges with tuition paid by their parents and their families are incredibly supportive of their pursuit of the arts/humanities, they have a large group of close friends and have no issues socializing, they have perfectly healthy sexual relationships.

But then on social media they fetishize this image of the "troubled artist," some sexy Albert Camus type who wears long black coats and looks contemplatively at cityscapes in black white photos, smoking and spouting nihilist rhetoric. But that image couldn't be farther from them. They're socialites who like dark makeup and shop at Goodwill. They're not wonky-eyed autists like Sartre or self-destructive maniacs like Nietzsche. They're normal people who desperately want to be abnormal and hopeless, ironically en masse. When did this start happening?

alex g

It's really sad he didn't live long enough to see the breadth of his influence on singer/songwriters.

is this copypasta?

Sufjan

(sandy) alex g. if youre interested start with trick or dsu.

Death has always been romanticized in the music industry, and even more so in the world of art (ie Van Gogh). Although it is rather concerning to see the fact that the suicide rate in the West continues go grow upwards. I have a theory that the Internet is responsible for this. I don't think humans were meant to have easy access to this much knowledge.

He probably wouldn't have influenced anyone. Part of what made his music have that cult following was his brutal suicide. It gave his music a certain authenticity that prevented Elliott from becoming a pathetic Trent Reznor figure singing about teen angst as a 40 year old man. He had some of the darkest lyrics in music and when he checked out early, he showed that he meant it.

>Albert Camus type
>spouting nihilist rhetoric

Martin Courtney

Shut the fuck up.

It's all about ego man. That is the image of themselves they wanna share.

The dumb ones will be unable to notice that their social media fantaisies are miles away from their true self and thag everyone else sees it.

Their lives are going perfectly smoothly so thet made up themselves a troubled image to appear more interesting. They know not what true torment is but they've got a vague idea of what it looks like

The 90's

For attention, do you really have to ask?

James Crywank claims never to have heard of him but their music has a fairly similar vibe

Sean Lennon basically stole from him.

I like this record, even if it is ''muhh i'm sad''

Alex G is the closest to what Elliott was doing today personally. Alex even has a really interesting and unique sense of melody, like Elliott. Similarly, Connor Oberst's early career was successful because of his channeling of Elliott Smith. He's since moved on to just copying off of Bob Dylan and Townes Van Zandt.

I agree this sounds like an Elliott Smith album, but at least he wasn't just ripping of John Lennon

Yeah, if he would have done that he definitely be a lot most famous.

I'd say Dan Barrett.

That would be coming full circle.

John Lennon, the famous mediocre schmoozer unoriginal faggot fool getting ripped off by another faggot, his son.

Surprised no one has mentioned Sufjan. He was a bit more deliberately folky but those basic qualities are in both of them.

Kurt Cobain kind of exacerbated it

>John Lennon, the famous mediocre schmoozer unoriginal faggot fool
Stop