Beginner blader here. I have the basics down but I'm about to skate in public (out of my garage) for the first time

Beginner blader here. I have the basics down but I'm about to skate in public (out of my garage) for the first time.

Should I wear a helmet to go or is that faggotry overload?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_4eVBCgFNVc
youtu.be/rFC4qsjpfEs
youtube.com/watch?v=N5lKx3gRpcc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

OP here, not tryna got full templar like some pleb, ya know. Wat do?

wear a skate helmet all black or a cool one.

idk i think ppl are smart when they wear helmets stupid if they dont.

depending on yoyr age i guess

im 26

if trying to look cool to younger ppl no helmet. cus there all stupid anyways.

be smart op

What do pro bladers wear?

and are you doing it for tricks or exercise or fun?

Go to a skatepark, maybe when there's no one around, because you're going to look like a fucking gimp. Learn real fast how to deal with varied terrain that way.

Also, if you have street skates with those stupid brakes at the back, disregard what I just said because they are a goddamn deathtrap for anyone who doesn't need them. If you don't know how to skate backwards, practice somewhere with a little bit of incline. Force yourself to go backwards uphill however you can. If ypu make any "backward" progress at all this way, you'll know its entirely you, and not the hill. If you get comfortable with going backwards, it won't even feel like you are "facing" a direction at all because switching back and forth become second nature. Posting more, but bumping first

Yeah I live in a student-y area so, sounds silly but "young" people are kindof a concern, for me. I'm 21 and self-conscious as anyone.

Pro bladers wear full protective gear when competing and almost no gear for the most part when out and about. You might see EITHER some knee or elbow pads, or a very "pro" helmet at most but that's pretty much it.

Doing it for fun and exercise really, used to skate when I was younger and trying to get back into it. Just fitness skating.

Do you want to avoid brain damage when you eventually fall over?

Awesome tips user thanks really helping (y)

Yeah, yeah for sure... I'm just thinking like how often does that happen, ya know? I'm just trying to avoid overkill because there's kids here skateboarding/longboarding and shit not tryna look like no chump on some wheels

Reason I say to not go to a park or try anything weird with brakes on is because they tend to clip on shit or ypur other boot. And when they are eventually worn to the plastic,that's when just using them becomes dangerous. I have a ripped up shirt to prove that, which I tore in a handicap parking space. Got headrush so bad I almost passed out.
Also, the koto stomp my be kind of cool, but wrecks your wheels. But its still an emergency stop and is useful to know to do.

If you plan on doing skatepark shit, get some aggressive skates next time you plan on getting skates if you do. Shits expensive yo. Also, learn the flow of the park and be courteous. But at the same time, if its your go, don't make people second guess your intention.

I would have to recommend using a helmet, especially when doing something you're not comfortable with yet. I'd you don't, then that's on you. I don't because I'm retarded about it. But keep in mind that you're GOING to fall.
A lot.
Don't be a fucking pussy, but don't go making actual injuries worse and really gimping yourself. A sratch id not an injury, but know when your body needs rest and repair.

One bad fall is enough, ya know? Also who cares about what other people think?

Also got the brake on still. Do you recommended I learn how to do without?

This is not about aesthetics here really just enjoyement of the sport.

Get on my level faggot

How the fuck do you manage to hit ypur head just falling over? There's the entire distance between your toes and arms for your splitsecond decision to go "I wonder if I should use these or something.."
You'd have to be flipped over to be in any complicated situation, but if you go full potato because you couldn't manage to get your arms and shit to cushion and/or direct a simple fall, you might actually have brain damage already. So no harm no fowl anyway

I see..
And yea I guess falls will be inevitable. It's just a matter of how bad.
Very true, it only takes a single bad ome really.

I'm getting some blades myself soon.

This shit was so cool back in the day.

Real talk, brakes should be off. That's not cool.

You need to learn how to stop like a hockey player, it isn't easy but once go go brakeless you never go back.

youtube.com/watch?v=_4eVBCgFNVc

Sorry
Right, I wonder what happened. I'm seeing moreand more people riding around now though. As good a time as ever to lace em up

What kind of shorts should I get for skating?

I want something very stylish that doesn't limit my movement.

Are these pretty dope?

I like these too because they have a rollerskate patch, but they look like they might limit movement.

I could always cut them shorter I guess.

>Looking cool
>Doing cool shit

Choose one

Wall of text fag here, most street skates do. Its not bad when you're learning, just that it gets in the way when you don't need it.

I don't know how fast you plan on going, but try to fall to the side or something. A lot of the time if I know I'm fallong already, I'll try to direct it so that I fall "better", and stand up just fine, potentially with 0 injury at all. Basically, learn to take a fall. Also don't worry about how you look at a park. As long as you don't fuck up the flow, most people don't care. Might get called fruitbooter of that's still a thing, but just fuck it. Everyone starts out a gimp.

And if you go full street, remember that street or speed wheels are thinner, bigger wheels with softer rubber, and streets are wider, smaller wheels with dense rubber.

And clean your fucking barrings every once in a while.

OP here, so this is a different person asking. Just to be clear. I'm good on outfit lel

>"asking for a friend"

If you fall you usually try to soften the fall with your wrists (it's instinct) so I would at the very least wear wrist protectors.

I was always torn on what wheels to use.

Big soft wheels are awesome for going fast, but you can get pretty tired.

Op here, good kek

Nah I swear x)

xdd wtf op

Thanks for the tips man, you sound like you've been doing this for a while. Preciate it.

That's an idea

Yeah, tseems bigger wheels are more for long-distance cruising, from what I understand.

I'll stick to my 82s for now.

Jokes on you, my shitty s3 doesn't support html5. But from the video thumbnail, it doesn't look like he was just simply skating along, does it? Likr I said, unless you're doing weird or complicated shit, you shouldn't even be in a situation where you can't manage to instinctively soften the fall. Unless, like I said, you're already a potato, and doesn't really matter anyway.

Bait, but a simple pair of sweatpants works fine

What kind of helmet you gonna use though?

You need something cool.

Sweatpants for skating?

Do you like in Norway? You gonna die from dehydration in those.

And they WILL limit your speed heavily.

Op here. Thinking about this one. Looks dope af.

Learned on streets, and really learned on aggresssive ones. I can do basic grinds, but haven't tried vert stuff much other than like an air grab. I skate for the soul. It may be pavement only, but damn it feels free.

>no harm no fowl

That's pretty nice, but why not weaponize your helmet for the hater you will surely run into (maybe even literally?).

This one have glowing knives on the top for when you need to skate your way through danger.

Op here, more bait. But good question, right now I got just a regular bike helmet

OP, what kind of mace are you going to buy?

I think bear mace maybe not even be as strong as human mace.

Might have to buy some whale mace or something.

Thats all you need is for a mountain lion to fuck up your sesh. Not me man.

You're right fuck it.

And I've decided I'll just go sk8ting late tonight, at some odd time like 4am. Get a taste while peeps are sleeping and then decide where to go from there.

Thanks Sup Forums. Gold info here, long live the chans.

Afro helmets are a thing, you could modify yours but I don't know if you want to go in the ghetto to buy black people hair, you might get robbed of your skates.

Nice color scheme. Reminds me of Monsterâ„¢ Energy drink

Will wear a helmet on that test run and feel the necessity for my use from there, thanks for all the tips on skateparks, brakes and general practice Sup Forumsros.

Get reqt over some lulz

>"but it just memes!"

Don't skate for speed. I'll have water with me if I need it. Sweatpants aren't jeans, and I don't much care for shorts.

Energy in, (most of) energy out. Bigger, thinner wheels can help make getting speed more efficient, but ultimately you have to be the driving force. The softer rubber will grip better and help mitigate movement, forcing the sloppy energy input to go towards more "forward" movement because energy stressing the wheels will escape through spinning the wheel more, instead of losing grip and going sideways, like dragging.

Smaller, denser wheels are like roller skates at the rink, shit for speed, but great at maneuverability. Turning, not getting "snagged" because of the wheels forcing the skates a certain direction, and smaller wheels means less sticking out of the housing frame, both outward and forward/back, which is what helps turning.

True that. That's what got me back into this tbh, I missed that sense of freedom ya know. That glide, the flow of movement. The moment. Shit's real.

So as an avid biker (moto, bmx, dirtjump mtb) skater and street / hockey in-liner:
I'd have to say there is no need for a helmet if you're not on the road, and you're just enjoying what you're doing. (In general)
If you are at a skate park wear a helmet, there is no shame in doing so as anyone 'serious' will be. You might find some faggy kids doing peg stalls and 6" bunny hops that won't be.
*The only taboo around helmets is the road riding fixie scene and the like. ie: The wanna be hippy millennials of the hip city - of which you have no ties to.

Tl:dr No need for general mucking about (Just skating within your comfort zone), strap up if you're doing shit. (Especially in a park)

Another good tip for OP.

If you get pads, just get the childrens pads to save money. Knee pads are kind of important.

These babies are only $15, and they even come in neon colors so people will get out of your way (more speed).

Get a skateboard you faggot, fuck the skaterboard culture, but come one man blades? This isn't the 90's anymore, only meth tweakers homeless whores roll around on skates.

Oh, and side note:
These are a thing, super light and sick as fuck for mountain biking ( I Think)
>met parachute helmets

If you get your tricks good enough on skates, and you look real cool, the cars will go off the road and maybe even inside you garage.

Always wear a helmet.

I go fast enough to where a full face is required, I hill bomb at speeds reaching over 180mph sometimes.

That light up helmet is actually actually a pretty safe idea for your kid. Neato

>faggotry overload

in for a penny, in for a pound

one might argue that you're already brain damaged, but why risk exacerbating it with a head injury because you were just barely too cool to wear safety gear?

Ah see, yeah figured. Will strap up tonight but quite frankly I don't expect much menace in the head department for my admittedly low octane use: Flat/semi-flat surfaces, moderate speeds, and virtually no flashy business at all save the occasional sidewalk hop.

Cheers user.

Could be way wrong though shid we'll see if I report back lel

That looks like a pretty safe helmet.

But the lack of style, I can not have. You can be safe and still look awesome.

So did you finally figure out that no one cares about you spamming the thread?

Exactly. Really good for those somber but restless days

Pretty much this. Just dicking around, you won't even have a fall bad enough that you need a helmet and can't catch yourself. But when not being comfortable with something, those "ehat ifs" have a much better chancr of happening until you learn control.

You are going to need a snorkel with an extension so you down't drown in all of the pussy juice you will be swimming in.

Try not to get anyone pregnant while you are out skating. And if you do, use a fake name and bounce.

Aw man don't do us like that

Could never say this attitude is wrong.

But kids are cruel out here though, specially since I'm technically one of them xcept I'm not pushing a skateboard.

Oh and I'm not female so no pass

The other thing is you'll likely be wearing baggier pants so that they cover the boots, This leads plenty of room to wear knee guards under them.
The no1 thing about blading' (In my opinion) is if anything is going wrong, you go to your knees. This is most likely the default position you'll be in anyway if you drop big stair sets and are to fatigued to handle the impact. (The fall) - Or you trip on a gutter (Any forward fall)
You don't need huge ass teenage mutant ninja turtle armor, just some regular pads and some finger-less gloves to boot. (The hard plastic ones are great to wear with shorts when you're practicing shit because they slide if you 'go to your knees' while at speed, pad's are just extra protection)

lmao can someone tell me a tldr
is OP really worried about looking gay while rollerblading

if so i have some bad news for him

>Pic related
Wear them over or under pants. Over if you plan to use them (Practicing stair sets etc).

youtu.be/rFC4qsjpfEs

Fingered gloves are perfectly fine, I once say a guy accidentally front flip and he cut his finger on the tip and it was gross.

Ikr!

Man fuck it, it is what it is I'm in it for the feels

I was going to go on a rant about wrist protection, you tend do come down and slide on your palms (and knees). And so just went with basic palm protection.

You should be wearing a set of these at best (I did).
They are 'for' inline skating.

For a top, I would definitely make sure you get something bright so people can see you and get out of your way.

Cheers, yeah I got some good pads for knees elbows and wrists, won't skimp on those.

And nice tip with the baggy jeans.

seconded. forget everything else
get these

Those are illegal now.

Gangs have been using palm strike glove to kill people for a while now.

You might be able to get some on the black market though.

Oh and get one of these Sup Forumsrother
Mighty ducks the shit outa it
(Gives you a good reason to fuck around in big empty car parks and the like, 'and' people just assume you're doing sports training rather than skating in circles)

I feel your concerns user - I'm 31 and have just taken up skateboarding.

Havn't skated since I was about 19, wish I'd kept it up as its super fun, even if i do look like a pleb.

Zipping down streets weaving with a stick is a fucking sick feeling to (when you're going to and from wherever) And people are likely to associate you with being 'cool' rather than some fruitbooter

If you really care about speed, there is one major thing you need to consider. Body hair, and aerodynamics.

The record for the fastest hill bomb is held by Leonardo Phelps, he was 23 years old and did a 232mph hill bomb on September 3rd 1998. He broke the old record of 199mph because of one major factor, Leo was suffering from terminal cancer and as a result he had no body hair.

No body hair = 35mph increase in speed. (on average)

He died never knowing the real reason for his success.

Here is a picture of him before he learned he had cancer.

RIP in peace Bane

Much strength user. We're all just trying to do what we love in these yet cold streets.

youtube.com/watch?v=N5lKx3gRpcc

With all due respect, what if the fact he knew he had terminal cancer made him care less about the possibility that he could fall and die, therefore allowing him to take a higher risk?

OP here. Does this helmet provide enough protection, while staying stylish enough to blend in with the cool kids?

If you're just looking to skate about I would recommend a generic skateboard/aggressive inline helmet.

A cycling helmet is better than nothing but they are essentially designed for a single incident. The skate ones are for a pastime where it's presumed you will be falling over on a semi regular basis.

If you are thinking of going down a specific roller sport path (there are a bunch of them) maybe invest in the type of helmet used in that sport.

Also remove that rear brake. It takes a little bit of practice to not use it but in my view they cause more problems than they solve.

better be looking like a faggot than being in a coma

>Also remove that rear brake

This.

>remove that rear brake
/this

Get a helmet that protects the back of your head. Remove breaks. We used volleyball pads for 12 foot half pipe and if you enjoy your wrists wear wrist guards. Street needs more padding depending what you're trying to do, I would put more padding on if you're going for something like bio540.
It's not the coolest sport anymore but shit man at least you're outside doing something healthy.
skated x games a decade ago.

To be honest you're rollerblading so you're already going to be considered a faggot so wearing a helmet is a moot point.

But really who the hell cares about what other people think, only silly people do that. Wear a helmet if you don't trust your skill level, but really before you hit your head you're probably going to hurt your knees, elbows, hips before you hurt your head.

If you're THAT worried what people will think carry a hockey stick with you and people will think you're cool for playing hockey.

ded thred

RIP