Hip Hop is objectively the worst genre. The "beats" are just 2 measures that repeat over and over with little variation...

Hip Hop is objectively the worst genre. The "beats" are just 2 measures that repeat over and over with little variation. The "rapping" is just shitty afro-poetry.

((Do not post in this thread unless you play an instrument!))

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ojCikI9npJQ
youtube.com/watch?v=bSfqNEvykv0
youtube.com/watch?v=8bztE5IbQOo
youtube.com/watch?v=dl0uFtClAmw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Easter?

youre a fucking dumb faggot

you are a genuine dumbass

While I agree that rap music is the least diverse in terms of musicality, even the most simple genres will have some sort of enjoyability factor in them, especially considering the average pleb doesn't know much about music theory.

You're*

Excellent argument, fellas.

samefag

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

>only 4 percent of this chart is worth existing
really makes my neutrinos work-out

Agree

>R&B with hip hop
yeah thats just modern pop music

Why do you think Children and Christian/Gospel are the only two genres worth checking out?

EDM on the rise

Better music that you don't have to waste time practicing in order to perform.

Rock is objectively the worst genre. The "riffs" are just 2 measures that repeat over and over with little variation. The "singing" is just shitty little white boy poetry.

he speaks the truth

Jazz needs more recognition. It's ironic how afros started it and now that white people took it over no one wants to listen to it. Jazz is arguably the best thing that those jungle monkeys ever made and now they all listen to shitty rap music that tells them to hustle for drugs and kill their friends and shit like that. To the black people who actually contribute to society and successfully founded a unique, complex, and original form of music, I don't have a problem with you and actually respect you.

EDM faggot

>Takes months to learn the guitar, bass and drums to the point where you're comfortable enough make your own music
>Make a beat on FL studio in ten minutes

>rap music that tells them to hustle for drugs and kill their friends and shit like that

only the shit ones

You are the real genius here. Even 90s and 80s rap was better than that trap shit we have today. There are even some mindless bastards that think artists like Kendrick Lamar and MF Doom are good. Keep in mind that they talk about money and keepin it cool in the hood. Pieces of shit only care about money. Maybe if jazz continued we would have more civilized apes in the jungle.

Too bad all that time spent learning meme instruments is in no way correlated to the quality of the music you output.

I am classically trained in guitar and have a love of flamenco, folk, jazz, synth music, and canturbury scene. I agree to some extent, but there are groups that have a surprising level of variation in their songs, take for instance the song "oh my darling don't cry" by run the jewels, there are constant changes in production throughout the song

If you want rap albums with some variation you should check out

Yeezus (except the first track)
God Loves Ugly
Vaudeville Villain
RTJ2
Funcruser Plus
Niggas on the moon (yes I know dg whatever)

Also lyrics are a big thing, and changes in flow and delivery are hard as well

>he bit the b8

Says who, you? Kek. Yeah, pushing buttons on your laptop produces such quality music.

You seem to mistakenly believe that time spent is in any way correlated to final product quality. Does it upset you that people "pushing buttons on their laptop" can still make far higher quality music than your average dadrock band playing meme instruments?

>The "rapping" is just shitty afro-poetry
You've never listened to rap aparto from a few classic songs talking about "thug streetz"

>((Do not post in this thread unless you play an instrument!))

LMAO Kill yourself you fucking elitist faggot

sorry sir, you're going to have to leave
musicians with serious musical opinions are not allowed on Sup Forums

Cumming out of my willy

>Yeah, pushing buttons on your laptop produces such quality music.
As if this hasn't ever happened? Autistic manchild.

the reason the beat is simple is because all the percussion and rhythm is created by the rapper. The rhyming and flow of the rapper creates the timbre that a few instruments would normally provide in rock music. If you tried to put jazz or experiential drumming over the top it would sound messy.

Name a big rapper that doesnt do this.

I played the bassoon in middle school and my music is better than yours!

Good thing "hip hop" and "quality" have no relationship whatsoever.

>tl;dr
the nig nog mumbles incoherently and poptimist faggots (You) eat it up as "art"

rtj are awful

nobody has ever explained this opinion very well

ok

music is about emotion
not technicality

i havent even got through the first one yet
surely it cant all be good

I play the kazoo kys, faggot

As a guitar player who mainly listens to music that largely features guitars, I can tell you from the bottom of my heart that you're a dumbass.

Worst genre is emorock

> basing a critique on a lyric based genre on salient features of the music
>shiggy

Also the rhythmic element to rapping is more complex than rock/pop/EDM/most classical music prior to the 20th century.

With some rappers this is true

it's on you

>Jazz needs more recognition
Jazz serves a cultural function in the music scene. It is a signifier for musical "adulthood." To embrace jazz is to don a kind of graduation cap, signifying a broadening of tastes outside "mere" rock music. This ostentatious display of "sophistication" is an insult, and I find the graduation cappers transparent and tedious. Certainly there must be interesting music one could call "jazz." There must be. I've never heard it, but I grant that it is out there somewhere.
Jazz has a non-musical parallel: Christiania, the "free" zone in Copenhagen. In Christiania, like in jazz, there is no law. People are left to their own inventions to create and act as they see fit. In Jazz, the musicians are allowed to improvise over and beside structural elements that may themselves be extemporaneous. Sounds good, doesn't it? Freedom -- sounds good.
The reality is much bleaker. Christiania is a squalid, trashy string of alleys with rag-and-bone men selling drugs, tie-dye and wretched food. Granted Total Freedom, and this is what they've chosen to do with it, sell hash and lentil soup? Jazz is similar. The results are so far beneath the conception that there is no English word for the dissappointment one feels when forced to confront it. Granted Total Freedom, you've chosen to play II V I and blow a goddamn trill on the saxophone? Only by willfully ignoring its failings can one pretend to appreciate it as an idiom and don the cap.

tl;dr autist

Hip hop has its roots in the '40s to '70s R&B market. Blues, soul, gospel, funk, disco, etc. Now I'll spare you disco, because it's trash (especially once white people started getting involved l m a o ), but especially with blues and funk, songs often revolved around a single riff, or bassline, or even lyrics, and you're gonna deadass say that hip hop is any worse?

Examples

Soul: youtube.com/watch?v=ojCikI9npJQ

Blues: youtube.com/watch?v=bSfqNEvykv0

Funk: youtube.com/watch?v=8bztE5IbQOo

Hip hop takes those ideas and applies them to modern technology. Yeah computer-generated beats can be shit, but they can be cool too

>do not post unless you play an instrument
8 years guitar and bass, 10 of trombone, 2 of dicking around in Logic Pro

unironically listen to this
youtube.com/watch?v=dl0uFtClAmw

Sounds like you just don't get it son.

all it is is the guy going muhmuh muh muhmuh muh muhmuh

Loyle Carner

Big in the UK at least. I dunno how popular he is in the US
Born South London, grew up with that shit all around him. Outwardly against drugs, crime, raps about his family, cooking, and the way of the world and really speaks from the heart.
The mentions he might have of "thug life" is all negative. Fuck he even dislikes weed.

Not big

It's 40% of country, isn't it?

This thread just made me realize how untalented and uncreative and unartistic other races are compared to black folk. Why is this? Is it due to culture, or genetics? Do black people have some kind of gene that makes them be better musicians, like the have the 'warrior gene' (google it)? Maybe the melanin?

The repetitive patterns thing applies to almost any genre, but I get you, most of hip hop songs repeat 8 bars at most for most of the song. What instrument do you play, OP?

They have the 'entertain master' gene.

I will never understand why niggers dropped jazz? Such a patrician genre but left it for ooga booga music with no talent.

It's not as much about race as culture and music is more culturally relevant and ubiquitous in black culture than it is in white culture. If you grow up playing music, you'll be really good at it too. Children are unbelievable at learning - most kids that start playing at around three develop perfect pitch. You'll see it's not genetic if you ever see a black person that grew up without music happening around them - they'll have just as shitty a sense of rhythm as white people that didn't grow up in a musical family.

There's plenty of music teaching in white, asian and jewish households. They might become very good at performing classical pieces by practicing for thousands of hours, for example, but they can't create anything new.

Innovation happens when multiple people build off each others idea in a culminative way. As black people have more prominent music in their culture (especially in regards to getting together and playing with lots of other people), it means they were able to develop more than most other races.

it's called nurture you pseudo-polack

Sure, I'll bite

god i hate this board so much

jesus wept, is this how you people get your kicks

Kanye

>, but they can't create anything new.
Source?

I could ask the same of all the masochistic instrumentfags still desperately hanging on to a dying artform and shitting on everything else they feel threatened by, such as MUH COMPUTERS and MUH NIGGER MUSIC

I agree. But there are probably a few songs that approach the greatness of say Shakespeare in terms of emotional impact and depth, etc, and these songs are almost always rock songs, or at least the artist plays an instrument.

Rap songs in terms of emotional depth and span are literally like a school homework project. It's almost always "muh black issues" done in a sophomoric way, using amateur metaphor and never really goes deeper.

I've been saying this for ages, but NO ONE has done rap right yet. Even the "conscious" rappers like Aesop Rock (not asap plebby) or whatever the fuck he's called.

Hip-hop is trash because no one has made it great. Even the so called greats who are highly revered (Kanye, 90's rappers, etc) are all shit.
>"Now If I fuck this model, and she jus pleased her asshole..."
Sums up the depth of rap music

This is because rap/hip-hop at it's core and what it was built upon is all about having the most metaphors, using "complex" sounding words, and "dissing" others. At it's very core it's broken, and no rapper has been able to fix it

OP is right

I completely agree. Well said.

I mean to be fair, without live instruments there would be no dope sampling in hip-hop or actual soul in making music. But on the same side without computers we'd still be recording said instruments on tape machines and other analog equipment that nowadays is just unnecessary. So I suggest we all quit our bullshit and except that both are necessary to make good music and saying you don't need one or the other is just plain ignorant.

But recording tape sounds pristine.

Are you a middle aged white guy with 3 kids?

Have you listened to Christian music?

Analog warmth may be sick but the practicality really doesn't justify it. We live in an era were anyone with a real passion to make great music CAN. Computers don't give us a better sound, they allow us to convey our projects more precisely and easier. But yeah, nothing really beats the soul of live instruments or analog equipment. It's just that the marriage between the new and tradition are necessary if we want to continue making good music.

/thread

No it doesn't, that's the whole fucking point - it sounds slightly degraded and that's awesome.

>The "beats" are just 2 measures that repeat over and over with little variation. The "rapping" is just shitty afro-poetry.

Why are you describing pic related?

>Speaks the truth
>Gets dubs
Poetry