Tfw 98% of this board calls themselves patrician without knowing basic music theory

>tfw 98% of this board calls themselves patrician without knowing basic music theory

how much theory do you know faggot

come at me when you can tell me what beat interval class is

Music theory is just, like it says, a theory. It's never been proven

FJMposting is a bannable offense, faggot

>tfw op thinks he's patrician yet posts a photo of Father John Numale

>tfw I'm the 2%

thats why its called a theory, its never been proven!!!!

>tfw user uses made up statistics

Retards
A theory explains the processes behind a certain event
In music this would mean that music theory explains the nuances behind music and the reasoning for their existence

Patrician has nothing to do with music theory or quality - which is entirely subjective. It's just a term to categorize music that doesn't have mass appeal (not for plebs).

t. I don't believe in gravity

Prove it then

>taking this bait
>inb4 counter bait

t. pleb who fails to understand what patrician means

>>inb4 counter bait
too late for that senpai

There is such thing as a proven theory

>dumbass who were memed
>dumbass who takes meme terms invented by CLT seriously

If by music theory you mean outdated restrictive pretensious perameters meant to keep free speech out of music, then, yeah, sure, i guess...

Imagine actually having this opinion.

if you write music at all then it must be incredibly simplistic

Good bait.

I want to learn but I hate myself too much to make myself smarter.
What do?

You won't be smarter don't worry just do it

>I've never studied 20th century theory which tosses the entire past 250years
of common theory onto the wall and pieces together what they can into a thing
they can call music.

Yes, there is 20th century theory but it isn't as settled as Western Baroque -> Early Romantic so
there are tons of freedoms with it, but not too much to where it's just random notes.

Is it me, or does this guy look like a Young Brahms?

You don't have to know theory to be able to recognize aesthetic quality.

If all you can do is recognize aesthetic quality without deconstructing it intelligently and communicating your thoughts, you arent a patrician

Doesn't mean my taste can't be patrician.

You'd be listening to it for the wrong reasons. That's worse than being a pleb

So it's wrong to listen to something because it stimulates all the right areas of my brain?

No but it's wrong to call yourself a patrician if you don't understand what's good about it with theory.

I didn't say I was a patrician, my taste would be patrician.

it wouldn't be patrician. anybody can just pick and choose high rated albums on rym and claim it to be their taste.

Then they're actually the ones listening to the music for the wrong reasons now, aren't they?

A plebeian is the exact opposite of a patrician. While the musical preferences among individual plebs vary as widely as music itself, all are easily identified by obvious tendencies and behaviors stemming from inner conflict between the compulsion to maintain a self-image of being "really into music" and a stubborn refusal to act accordingly. The pleb is threatened by critical discussion, openly hostile toward anyone who presumes an authoritative position no matter how legitimately, and rankles at any suggestion that he look inward to inspect his own biases or assumptions about music, or even that he has any biases in the first place.

What plebeians believe to be a keen interest in music is in reality an obsession with "taste". This is why they can entertain themselves for hours examining scrobble counts on last.fm, maintaining contrived parabolas of their RYM star ratings, or meticulously assembling a Top 50 chart which displays their grocery-list "eclecticism", but won't read a music text. This is why they loudly proclaim how their virginal taste is unsullied by any reviewer's opinion, yet memorize each of those opinions to cite in endless "drone" accusations. It is why they will evade addressing specific musical assertions at any cost, shifting the topic to popularity, fan image, or imaginary concepts such as "entry-level" or "fedoracore", all of which are better suited to their interests and expertise.

It's not about what you listen to, it's how you listen to it.

this

You're pretty much liking a great piece of art because it has the color turquoise and turquoise makes you happy without grasping anything from the piece itself.

Theory makes shit hit your head hard. When I got into theory and realized how amazing WA Mozart decorates his circle of 4ths/5ths progressions thanks to the understanding of the theory behind it. you get to enjoy it on a whole other level.

fucking preach

But does it make the sound any better? No.

It does in the sense that you're hearing more from the exact same sound that is physically there and you become more aware of certain phrase and progressions that allow you to get a greater feel for the music.

See how Cadenzas work in Classical-Era Music, they follow theory pretty well.

>listen to something because it stimulates all the right areas of my brain?
This isn't necessarily patrician. See There is no patrician taste, only patrician listeners.

I know how to use Fruity Loops lame ass nigga, so there

>But does it make the sound any better?
This is what plebs ask themselves
No theory required

>free speech
what

Exactly. If u can make fire ass beats with Fruity without knowing theory that provess that shit is useless

>fire ass
This is how plebs describe music

Hopefully you can figure out the implications here

>If u can make fire ass beats with Fruity without knowing theory that provess that shit is useless
post your music then

>outdated restrictive pretensious perameters
Like what?

you should get a black belt in swallowing obvious bait

>what
what

I think they view theory as the "IT MUST BE THIS WAY OR IT IS UNCULTURED TRASH" of a rule set. It just acts as a general guide on the composition and what to think of when writing music using these ideas which you can expand on your own. This is how we have the burst of the Neo-[Era] composers (Prokofiev, Francaix, Hindemith, etc.)

What do you mean?

>I know how to use Fruity Loops lame ass nigga, so there
seems pretty bait-y

But that's what those people speak like. It's reasonable to believe user is being serious

not assuming the worst in people is what keeps me from killing myself
but you might be right

Some people want to other shit than "fire ass beats"
Although that requires knowledge of production, which is separated from theory but not any less valuable

music isnt like, a science, man... its art dude

This ain't art dude, this ain't smart dude

what is it then