How come this band were so fucking great?

How come this band were so fucking great?

Billy's songwriting and guitar playing and Jimmy's godlike drumming. Jimmy was really the missing ingredient. The common consensus with people in the Chicago scene at the time was that the band wasn't that noteworthy before he joined in. Not to downplay what Billy did, Billy Corgan has written some of the most genius guitar parts in rock music and isn't praised nearly as much as he deserves to be on that front.

I literally dropped them when I found out that Corgan recorded all of the parts himself.

You that Asian lady?

Jimmy added the bombastic drumming that set them apart from other alt rock bands at the time. It emphasized Corgan's 10/10 songwriting

just like kevin parker from tame impala

wtf i love the smashing pumpkins now

and kevin shields from my bloody valentine. at least for loveless

he played all the instruments? he didnt do all the vocals

Does anyone have the link of them playing live with D'arcy wearing bikini

yep. shields did all of the instrumentation except the drumming on touched and only shallow. even sometimes when it sounds like kevin and belinda are singing together, like in to here knows when, it's just kevin using tape manipulation. but in the smashing pumpkins, jimmy still did most of the drumming, but corgan did almost everything else. sometimes darcy and james played.

They were genius in finding out that Shoegaze and 70s-style Arena Rock go well together, and then they added the Grunge edge to make it work in 90s. Billy is extremely talented and I don't know why his abilities have been overlooked.

Yeah I absolutely agree with these, one reason I love Zeitgeist (and defend it, even though so many people hate on it) is because it's got the two essential Pumpkins ingredients - Billy and Jimmy. You need both of them for the Pumpkins sound. Whereas obviously the other two basically just did what Corgan told them to do, they didn't contribute much stylistically.

....why? The songs are still the same aren't they? Why does it matter who recorded them?

I want this as well pls. D'arcy was qt before she JUSTed herself.

corgan is a master of aesthetics. having james and darcy as a focal point in most of their media releases was genius. he's also a shy boy so he was able to use them as a shield from the press

Zeitgeist's production just ruins it for me. It's just mixed so poorly.

There are pictures of her with a see through top if that's what you mean, not a bikini though

Just google her name and they come up

Yeah I guess you're right. That's probably why he always wanted a chick in the band, for intrigue. And maybe because he wanted to fuck 'em too. That's a good reason to have girls in your band as well. Although I haven't read about him fucking any of them.

What's wrong with it? I think it sounds great. Nice and thick and heavy. Arguably better production than Mellon Collie, in my book. I think it really recaptures some of the Siamese Dream sound. Driving rock, amazing solos. It's not the perfect album, sure. Siamese Dream will always be their magnum opus in my opinion, and I know that purists/traditionalists will never want to rank Zeitgeist above any of their original releases, but I still think it's a really awesome album and really underrated.

What's creepier, Billy with hair or Billy without hair?

>That's probably why he always wanted a chick in the band, for intrigue.
it was mainly for the aesthetic of having a feminine element. he could also get her to sing a few track. her and james also would work as the distraction for the press, so he wouldn't exclusively have the spotlight. i doubt he fucked them. he was to obsessed with kurt's widow.

with. he gives me an autistic school shooter vibe.

I don't know man I just didn't get the same impression from the mixing. Vocals are way too loud, drums don't hit hard, the guitars don't have enough bite. It's generally just a little too glossy for me. It sounds like a late night talk show performance mix.

with hair he looks like the school autist
without hair makes him look like a serial rapist

Very true.

The bald look has made me think about shaving my hair off several times. I've not done it yet, but maybe I will one day.